View Full Version : John Edwards: "I Was Wrong"

DLR'sCock
11-14-2005, 09:27 PM
The Right Way in Iraq
By John Edwards
The Washington Post

Sunday 13 November 2005

I was wrong.

Almost three years ago we went into Iraq to remove what we were told - and what many of us believed and argued - was a threat to America. But in fact we now know that Iraq did not have weapons of mass destruction when our forces invaded Iraq in 2003. The intelligence was deeply flawed and, in some cases, manipulated to fit a political agenda.

It was a mistake to vote for this war in 2002. I take responsibility for that mistake. It has been hard to say these words because those who didn't make a mistake - the men and women of our armed forces and their families - have performed heroically and paid a dear price.

The world desperately needs moral leadership from America, and the foundation for moral leadership is telling the truth.

While we can't change the past, we need to accept responsibility, because a key part of restoring America's moral leadership is acknowledging when we've made mistakes or been proven wrong - and showing that we have the creativity and guts to make it right.

The argument for going to war with Iraq was based on intelligence that we now know was inaccurate. The information the American people were hearing from the president - and that I was being given by our intelligence community - wasn't the whole story. Had I known this at the time, I never would have voted for this war.

George Bush won't accept responsibility for his mistakes. Along with Dick Cheney and Donald Rumsfeld, he has made horrible mistakes at almost every step: failed diplomacy; not going in with enough troops; not giving our forces the equipment they need; not having a plan for peace.

Because of these failures, Iraq is a mess and has become a far greater threat than it ever was. It is now a haven for terrorists, and our presence there is draining the goodwill our country once enjoyed, diminishing our global standing. It has made fighting the global war against terrorist organizations more difficult, not less.

The urgent question isn't how we got here but what we do now. We have to give our troops a way to end their mission honorably. That means leaving behind a success, not a failure.

What is success? I don't think it is Iraq as a Jeffersonian democracy. I think it is an Iraq that is relatively stable, largely self-sufficient, comparatively open and free, and in control of its own destiny.

A plan for success needs to focus on three interlocking objectives: reducing the American presence, building Iraq's capacity and getting other countries to meet their responsibilities to help.

First, we need to remove the image of an imperialist America from the landscape of Iraq. American contractors who have taken unfair advantage of the turmoil in Iraq need to leave Iraq. If that means Halliburton subsidiary KBR, then KBR should go. Such departures, and the return of the work to Iraqi businesses, would be a real statement about our hopes for the new nation.

We also need to show Iraq and the world that we will not stay there forever. We've reached the point where the large number of our troops in Iraq hurts, not helps, our goals. Therefore, early next year, after the Iraqi elections, when a new government has been created, we should begin redeployment of a significant number of troops out of Iraq. This should be the beginning of a gradual process to reduce our presence and change the shape of our military's deployment in Iraq. Most of these troops should come from National Guard or Reserve forces.

That will still leave us with enough military capability, combined with better-trained Iraqis, to fight terrorists and continue to help the Iraqis develop a stable country.

Second, this redeployment should work in concert with a more effective training program for Iraqi forces. We should implement a clear plan for training and hard deadlines for certain benchmarks to be met. To increase incentives, we should implement a schedule showing that, as we certify Iraqi troops as trained and equipped, a proportional number of US troops will be withdrawn.

Third, we must launch a serious diplomatic process that brings the world into this effort. We should bring Iraq's neighbors and our key European allies into a diplomatic process to get Iraq on its feet. The president needs to create a unified international front.

Too many mistakes have already been made for this to be easy. Yet we must take these steps to succeed. The American people, the Iraqi people and - most important - our troops who have died or been injured there, and those who are fighting there today, deserve nothing less.

America's leaders - all of us - need to accept the responsibility we each carry for how we got to this place. More than 2,000 Americans have lost their lives in this war, and more than 150,000 are fighting there today. They and their families deserve honesty from our country's leaders. And they also deserve a clear plan for a way out.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John Edwards, a former senator from North Carolina, was the Democratic nominee for vice president in 2004.
-------

ELVIS
11-14-2005, 09:41 PM
Either way...

Turn the clock back and he still would have voted for the war...

And what does he mean by "failed diplomacy" ??

John Edwards is a dishonest lawyer...

This story is pointless...

FORD
11-15-2005, 04:45 AM
John Edwards is an honest lawyer who defended ordinary Americans from irresponsible corporations. And while I don't always agree with him, I respect him for owning up to his mistake in voting for this fucking fiasco.

Too bad we aren't hearing this from those who are still IN the Senate.

ELVIS
11-15-2005, 04:58 AM
My Neighbor John Edwards (http://www.necessaryprose.com/genetic.htm)

I'd like to introduce you to my neighbor. I'm from Raleigh, North Carolina, and for several years I've lived around the corner from vice-presidential candidate John Edwards. My neighbor John has been in the news a good deal lately, but it's hard to tell about the man himself from the coverage. Maybe I can help you get to know him better.

Even several years ago, before he was elevated to the national stage, my neighbor John didn't socialize much with other neighbors. He didn't gather with other neighbors at the Fourth of July and he didn't come out to the sledding hills to watch the kids play after a snow. My neighbor John preferred to jog through the neighborhood by himself. We mostly saw him when he was jogging.

There's no sidewalk on Alleghany Drive, John's street in Raleigh, and if you drove past him as he was jogging on the road and didn't slow down enough for his taste he'd flip you the bird. Even after he became a U.S. Senator, he'd still come home to Raleigh every once in a while, would still jog through the neighborhood, and would still flip the occasional bird to passing cars. One of the last times he showed me his middle finger while jogging was about four years ago. Since then, he is rarely in town. When he is home, though, we in the neighborhood all know it.

My neighbor John invited reporters from TV, radio, and print news organizations to come to his house in January 2003 for the announcement of his presidential bid. He didn't want any news vans parked on his property--in fact, he made sure all the cameras and reporters waited in the street at the bottom of his driveway. That way everyone could get good footage of him strolling down the driveway to make his announcement, young children in tow. So the news vans drove into the yards of other people in the neighborhood and parked there. I heard two families ended up re-sodding their damaged yards, and John never apologized to anyone, much less offered any compensation. Families who live next to my neighbor John have since put up posts at their property line to try to keep that sort of thing from happening again. The result was that when news vans had no space to park on the street they ended up occasionally trying to park on John's property. Well my neighbor John wouldn't tolerate that, even though it was his own political career they were trying to cover, so he built a high security fence around his property, an electric fence, with a gate on his driveway. My "Democratic" neighbor John lived in his house like in a castle with a moat.

Many of us in the neighborhood protested the electric fence because we understood it was a hazard to the community. What if children were to touch it while playing? But my neighbor John didn't care about that: he didn't even respond to the letter of complaint we put in his mailbox. One time as I was walking my dog past his house I looked up from the street and there he was standing in a second-floor window looking out. He flipped me the bird, then closed the curtains as he stepped back from the window.

It was only when CNN did an interview with some of the neighbors about the electric fence and John's all-around neighborliness that he decided to try to improve his image in the community. A bad image in his home community could tarnish his national image, you see. So once in awhile, when he made it to town, he would have "community youth meetings" at the high school with groups of high school students to discuss civics issues. His campaign people presented this as an example of how, even though John was so busy with his presidential campaign, he still cared too much about his own community not to spend time there. I think it was after the third such meeting with the high school students that my neighbor John decided from then on to hold the meetings in his house. So the cars would come with the kids in the early evening and drop them off, and John's electric gate would open and the kids would go in for pizza and a discussion of "civic values." But then it turned out--a strange coincidence it was--that two of the girls who were going to the meetings were pregnant. And then a third was discovered to be pregnant. And then a fourth. Finally the meetings stopped when a local newspaper did a story on this "strange coincidence."

It was about this time that my neighbor John began to remodel the outside of his house, if remodeling is the right word here. He surfaced the whole thing with stone and refashioned the windows in a kind of Gothic style. It was very strange and didn't fit in at all with the neighborhood. And on the side where the bedroom presumably was, my neighbor John erected a large round tower with a crenellated top, like on a castle. When he was in town, he would sometimes stand up on his tower looking around with binoculars. None of us in the neighborhood knew what he was looking for. If anyone passed or any cars went by while he was out on his tower he would flip them the bird.

Finally the four local high school girls who had become pregnant during the time of the "civics classes" came due. It was a strange thing noted in the community that all four gave birth to boys. But stranger still was that only a few months after their birth, all four of these "boys" had already grown up to look like 17 or 18-year-olds. Of course a journalist from the main local paper covered this bizarre story. How could it be so? It was medically impossible. What had actually happened? Could it really be true that these 17-year-olds were the same people as the babies that had just been born, or was it just some kind of hoax?

The mothers of these boys all swore they were their children, that it was not a hoax, but then the mothers themselves could not explain what was going on. And soon after the first articles appeared, the journalist who was covering this story was found dead in a field outside town. It seems he shot himself, or at least that is what the official investigation claims. And for some reason nobody after that looked into the real story of these odd boys who were growing so fast.

At that time I would see the boys around town now and then. They often hung out together. And I can vouch for what many other neighbors say too. Those boys look exactly like miniature versions of my neighbor John. They are short in the same way, they have the same face and the same smile. They are obviously John's children. But how could it be?

It is commonly known that John's brother-in-law works for Corell Genetics, a bio-research company. Corell claims to be working on medical applications of genetic research. Many of us in the community at that time began to speculate that maybe there was some kind of genetic experiment going on, and that this was the reason for the strange growth of those four boys. But the fact is that since the "suicide" of the journalist most of the people in our town have been afraid to question this situation too closely.

All of this was how things stood several months ago. Since then everything has become more serious, and I for one am very surprised that the major media are not covering what is going on here. There is some kind of media blackout: that is obvious.

My neighbor John has bought out the house next door and expanded his property. His own house was made larger and the castle renovations have continued. There is now a helicopter pad on top of the structure that he built where the neighbors' house used to be. I myself once saw a helicopter land and John Kerry get out. Waiting for him on the roof were my neighbor John and various young men in black shirts. My neighbor and the young men saluted Kerry as he came out of the helicopter and then all of them went inside.

But this is not the scariest thing. The scariest thing has to do with those four "sons". Did I say four? Somehow there are now almost forty or fifty of them in town, all nearly identical and all looking about 17 or 18 years old. Of course all of them look a lot like my neighbor John, but nobody dares any more to even mention this. These "sons" hang out in groups and salute each other, and they have also taken up jogging. They are everywhere on the roads jogging, whether day or night, and when you pass one in your car they always flip you the bird. The other day I was in the parking lot by the Walmart and saw one running in one direction and one in the opposite direction on the same road. They were running toward each other, but still about a hundred yards apart. Then a car passed. Of course they both gave the car the bird as it passed and then both, as they passed each other, saluted. It was a very sickening sight.

As I write this I am sure there is not a single stretch of any road anywhere near our town that does not have at least one of these "boys" jogging on it. Nobody in this town knows what to do, nor do any of us know exactly what is going on. Every day there are more helicopter landings at my neighbor John's house-really it has become more like a fortress now--and every day there seem to be more of these boys. Why the media doesn't cover this I have no idea. Is this even America any more? Is this the new Democratic Party? Does it have something to do with Kerry's support of stem cell research? All I know is that things are very strange around here, and that I am certainly voting for George W. Bush in November. I only hope this story will get out in time to convince other Americans of what it might mean to have Kerry and Edwards in the White House.

Anonymous

:elvis:

Nickdfresh
11-15-2005, 05:54 AM
Oh, okay ELVIS, using "ANONYMOUS" as your source. KARL ROVE probably wrote that piece of shit himself.:D

And isn't hard for a U.S. Sentor in a presidential race no less to "spend time in his community?"

This is possibly the dumbest piece of shit posted here...

Warham
11-15-2005, 06:43 AM
Who?

BigBadBrian
11-16-2005, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by FORD
John Edwards is an honest lawyer

There is no such thing.

:gulp:

Dr. Love
11-16-2005, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by DLR'sCock
The world desperately needs moral leadership from America, and the foundation for moral leadership is telling the truth.

No thanks. Not only is our 'moral credibility' shot, I don't much feel like holding hands with the pussies in those other countries and trying to teach them right from wrong.

Nickdfresh
11-16-2005, 09:08 PM
I keep thinking of that Crossing Over fake when I read this thread...:D

"Uh yeah, I'm getting that you have a daughter that passed, no? not a daughter? Um okay, is it a sister...no? Oh, it's a cousin twice removed, oh yeah, she um, er, just said that, uuuh, your cousin twice removed is here with us...."

http://www.johnedward.net/johncoverCrossingOver_small.jpg

Cathedral
11-16-2005, 09:43 PM
Yeah, we have a lawyer, a court Justice, and some fag who talks to dead people all named John Edwards.

It's almost like my family, we have 3 Kathy's, almost 4 because i almost married a Kathy.
I have two nephews named Jason because my brothers weren't speaking when they were born....damn, no wonder i'm messed up, I was raised with loons! (the crazy thing, not Ed's wine).

Fuck man, I need an enema.

ELVIS
11-16-2005, 09:46 PM
You need an enema ??

:confused:

LoungeMachine
11-16-2005, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
Oh, okay ELVIS, using "ANONYMOUS" as your source. KARL ROVE probably wrote that piece of shit himself.:D

This is possibly the dumbest piece of shit posted here...

LMMFAO :D :D :D :D :D :D

LoungeMachine
11-16-2005, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
You need an enema ??

:confused:

That excites you, huh ;)

Volunteering to help him out, nurse?

[ not that there's anything wrong with that ]:D

ELVIS
11-16-2005, 09:54 PM
No, I have no idea what he meant...

BTW, I'm 100% old school straight...

:elvis:

LoungeMachine
11-16-2005, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
There is no such thing. [as an honest Lawyer]

:gulp:

I think our own Sharkey is damn honest. :cool:

Cathedral
11-16-2005, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
That excites you, huh ;)

Volunteering to help him out, nurse?

[ not that there's anything wrong with that ]:D

Um, I assure you, Sir, There is PLENTY wrong with THAT!

lmmfao

Elvis, it was just reference playing off how screwed up my family is.
as if a flushing would help, HAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

ELVIS
11-16-2005, 10:06 PM
Then, you should have said we need an enema...:D

Cathedral
11-16-2005, 10:17 PM
No, I need the enema to get their heads OUT of my ass, lmmfao.

LoungeMachine
11-16-2005, 10:28 PM
Can we cease with all the enema talk, boys?

ELVIS
11-16-2005, 10:35 PM
Why, someone give you an unwanted enema when you were a wittle woungemachine ??

LoungeMachine
11-16-2005, 10:49 PM

Lmmfao :D

Cathedral
11-16-2005, 11:03 PM

ROTMFFLMMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shit fire that hit me like a truck full of smelly pussy, HARD.

LoungeMachine
11-16-2005, 11:05 PM
it was the woungemachine that made me bust a gut.

classic.

ELVIS
11-16-2005, 11:07 PM
I meant to say wee wittle woungemachine, but I got ahead of myself...;)

LoungeMachine
11-16-2005, 11:13 PM
I meant to say wee wittle woungemachine, but I got ahead of myself...;)

okay, now you're just insulting my manhood by calling my wee, widdle :D

Be vewy, vewy, qwiet...........weay hunting woungemachine :cool: