PDA

View Full Version : Iraq detainees 'found starving'

Seshmeister
11-15-2005, 07:49 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4440134.stm

Iraq's government says it has begun an investigation into the alleged abuse of more than 170 detainees held by Iraqi security forces in Baghdad.
The prisoners, many malnourished and some showing signs of torture, were found when US troops took control of an interior ministry building on Sunday.

The US raid followed repeated enquiries by the parents of a missing teenager.

Iraq's prime minister has promised to find those responsible for any abuse. Most of those held were Sunnis.

'Hard evidence'

The BBC's Caroline Hawley in Baghdad says the discovery will not come as a surprise to many Iraqis.

There have been persistent allegations of abuse by members of the Shia-dominated security forces, she says.

But Sunday's discovery is hard evidence and officials believe it may be the tip of the iceberg.

There are suspicions the building may also have been used as a base for a militia called the Badr Brigade, and that such militias may have infiltrated Iraq's security services, our correspondent adds.

The prison is reported to be in the central Jadiriya district of Baghdad.

Prime Minister Ibrahim Jaafari said he had been told that 173 detainees had been held, that they appeared malnourished, and may have been "subjected to some kind of torture".

He launched an inquiry and said the prisoners had been moved and would be given medical care.

Deputy interior minister Hussein Kamal, who saw some of the abuse victims personally, said: "I've never seen such a situation like this during the past two years in Baghdad, this is the worst.

I saw signs of physical abuse by brutal beating, one or two detainees were paralysed and some had their skin peeled off various parts of their bodies

Repeated allegations

The head of Iraq's largest Sunni political party said attempts to raise claims of torture in government detention centres had been rebuffed.

"According to our knowledge, regrettably, all the detainees were Sunnis," Mohsen Abdul-Hamid, head of the Iraqi Islamic Party, told the Associated Press news agency.

"In order to search for a terrorist, they used to detain hundreds of innocent people and torture them brutally."

A US soldier who carried out the raid said: "It's not what we expected at all, we were looking for a 15-year-old boy."

But the BBC's correspondent says the discovery will be embarrassing for the US military, which has been training Iraq's security services.

Human rights group Amnesty International welcomed the investigation but said it should cover other allegations of torture and maltreatment by Iraqi police and security forces belonging to the interior ministry.

The security forces have faced repeated allegations of systematic abuse and torture of detainees, and of extra-judicial killings.

A report by pressure group Human Rights Watch earlier this year said methods used by Iraqi police included beating detainees with cables, hanging them from their wrists for long periods and giving electric shocks to sensitive parts of the body.

Seshmeister
11-15-2005, 07:51 PM
First it was to stop terrorism but then we realised that Al Queda hated Saddam.

Then it was WMD's but there were none.

Then the last throw of the dice was it was about Saddam being a torturing murderer...

FORD
11-15-2005, 08:07 PM
It gets worse....

Apparently the BCE has bypassed the Saddam & Hitler playbooks and has gone back to the Roman example of Criminal Empires.

They're now feeding people to lions!

And no, I'm not making this shit up.

ODShowtime
They are a bunch of fuckin' animals over there regardless.

Nickdfresh
They're the new South Vietnamese ARVN...

ODShowtime
11-15-2005, 08:08 PM
Also, it's interesting that this story is on the front page of BBC News yet I had to hunt for it on CNN.com.

ELVIS
11-15-2005, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by FORD

Then cite a fucking source...

Nickdfresh
11-15-2005, 08:15 PM
It gets worse....

Apparently the BCE has bypassed the Saddam & Hitler playbooks and has gone back to the Roman example of Criminal Empires.

It seems that this allegation may be bullshit. The guys making the claim (that they were threatend by lions, not fed to them) are filing a lawsuit...

This is grate though::D
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v116/maestros/Politics/deletebush2.jpg

Nickdfresh
11-15-2005, 08:17 PM
I think a much bigger issue is that "our side" (the SHIITES) are using death squads to exterminate large numbers of people indiscriminately.

Cathedral
11-15-2005, 10:00 PM
The shit you all cling to as fact is just amazing to me.
I wonder just how any rational conversations ever take place in this forum with all the back biting and sheep shitting everyone does.

You would really be shocked how little i believe from any of our leaders anymore.

All i ever heard growing up is how shitty politicians are, how neither of them can tell the truth about anything, they're only concerned about their own bottom line and the bottom feeders be damned.

So tell me, all of you, what the fuck happened that made you trust them enough to defend what you assume is the real deal?

They're scum, fucking all of them, scum...

But i'm telling you now, and you can mark these words, If we don't stop the dividing we are all going to regret it big time.
This country cannot stand with the current rift between the two party's growing at the pace it is, and that my fellow americans is the epitomy of sad.

FORD
11-16-2005, 12:22 AM
Apparently the lions were "pets" of Saddam's kids Easy & Queasy, and they are still caged up at one of the palaces, which is now being used as an "interrogation" facility. This was all over the radio today, so the print media should pick up on it soon.

By "print media", I mean the Guardian, the Sydney Morning Herald, or some other responsible paper. God knows the "US" corporate media won't touch it.

Seshmeister
11-16-2005, 12:26 AM
It is true that Saddam's sons used to feed people to their lions.

Haven't heard it's still happening yet but it wouldn't surprise me.

kentuckyklira
11-16-2005, 08:37 AM
It gets worse....

And no, I'm not making this shit up. I´ve said it again and again,

your administration and their minions are the true terrorists!

You´d have to have an IQ below room temerature not to notice that the current US foreign policy is in no way about doing good worldwide!

BigBadBrian
11-16-2005, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by kentuckyklira
I´ve said it again and again,

your administration and their minions are the true terrorists!

I've said it before and I'll say it again....

You're the true moron of this forum.

Shaddap!!!!

:gulp: