PDA

View Full Version : Hey comp/video editing geeks... a ? for ya...

lazlor
11-20-2005, 10:25 AM
I'm just getting into shooting some of my own stuff, and am having a bit of a problem with my rendering/transfer to the comp.

I'm using Pinnacle Studio 9, and am working on a sony Vaio Pent 4 3.4 GHz, 1.0 GB of Ram.....

the problem is, I keep getting dropped video frames....

I was told to stop all processes that the computer is running while doing my stuff...

so...

the question is: in my windows task manager, under processes, there's a list of 68 processes running, though it says only 8% cpu usage. What can I safely shut off. and what programs do i have to leave running before I can do my work?

thanks for the help all....

twonabomber
11-20-2005, 10:55 AM
for transfer, turn off screen saver and power management. take out all the crap that clogs up your taskbar and quick start bar. only have your capture program open. when rendering you can have a couple things open, your render and other apps will just go slower.

i've got an AMD Athlon at maybe 1.5 GHz, a little less RAM than you, and i have no problem rendering in Sony Vegas and surfing with three windows open. no Service Pack 2, it didn't want to play nice with my video card so i shitcanned it.

go to videohelp.com for more answers...

FORD
11-20-2005, 01:44 PM
This page (http://www.dead-eye.net/WinXP%20Services.htm) has a good explanation of what services are running in the background on a standard XP configuration. Many of these services can be disabled safely, and will free up resources on your computer.

You'll find the "services" under "Administrative tools" in the Control Panel.

And, if you have more than one account on your Windows XP, then you'll need to use an account with full administrator rights in order to change the services, of course.