PDA

View Full Version : Iraq: the Galloway v.Hitchens Debate

Seshmeister
11-22-2005, 03:28 PM
Listen to it here (http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/radio4_aod.shtml?radio4/galloway_hitchens_debate)

LOL!

Stormy stuff.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/news/media/iraqwar_debate_banner.jpg

A debate on the invasion of Iraq in 2003

Motion: The Iraq war of 2003 was just and necessary.

Journalist Christopher Hitchens takes on MP George Galloway in a ferocious encounter over the rights and wrongs of the Iraq War. Hitchens thinks deposing Saddam Hussein was a noble act. Galloway retorts that an illegal occupation will only create more Jihadist terrorism.

Recorded earlier this week in New York City, Radio 4 presents the highlights of their two-hour-long “grapple in the big apple.” Combative, impassioned and informative. This is a clash not to miss.

FORD
11-22-2005, 05:08 PM
I heard part of this the day it took place. Galloway totally kicked Hitchens' drunken ass.

Sesh, I remember you saying Galloway wasn't your favorite politician, but I wish the Democrats in Congress had his balls. :(

Nickdfresh
11-22-2005, 07:33 PM
Interesting. GALLOWAY is a bit acerbic, and he engages in rhetorical hyperbole (referring to the Battle of Fallujah as a "massacre," I have to strongly disagree with that), but he raises a great many points...

Seshmeister
11-22-2005, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by FORD
I heard part of this the day it took place. Galloway totally kicked Hitchens' drunken ass.

Sesh, I remember you saying Galloway wasn't your favorite politician, but I wish the Democrats in Congress had his balls. :(

Yeah it would be good if you had a few rabble rousers in there.

It was the same at the start of Moore's 9-11 film where there wasn't a single Democrat senator willing to take on the government.

The Scottish parliament works on a PR system so you get a couple of Greens, there's an 'old people party' guy and a few nutcase ultra left people.

It adds a bit of color if nothing else...:)

Galloway is suspect in my book for a whole load of stuff over the years but it's getting so rare to see a conviction led politician.

Hitchens has some respect in my book for taking Mother Theresa and showing how she was a hypocritical crook a few years ago. Apart from that he tends to get on my nerves.

I think it was a pretty left leaning crowd. I bet in some areas of the States Galloway would have been lynched...:)

Cheers!

:gulp:

Seshmeister
11-22-2005, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
Interesting. GALLOWAY is a bit acerbic, and he engages in rhetorical hyperbole (referring to the Battle of Fallujah as a "massacre," I have to strongly disagree with that), but he raises a great many points...

This was recorded before the US military admitted using phosphorus as a weapon there. Galloway would have had a stroke when that was admitted...:)

On a side note I'm not convinced that slugs turn into butterflies.

I think George maybe missed some biology classes...:)

Nickdfresh
11-22-2005, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
This was recorded before the US military admitted using phosphorus as a weapon there. Galloway would have had a stroke when that was admitted...:)

On a side note I'm not convinced that slugs turn into butterflies.

I think George maybe missed some biology classes...:)

I thought the butterfly turned into a slug.;) And he does indeed leave behind slime...