PDA

View Full Version : Dream Theater Appreciation Thread

fuckhowardstern
12-04-2005, 10:08 AM
DREAM THEATER FUCKING ROCKS - Discuss

PHOENIX
12-04-2005, 11:19 AM
Not really.

Their cover songs are awesome but the rest sucks.

fuckhowardstern
12-04-2005, 12:03 PM
their singer gets on my nerves a bit, actually. but the musicianship of the band and the interesting and original arrangements carry the day as far as i am concerned. actually i downloaded a cover of "ain't talkin about love" (i think) from another vh site and thought it sucked. there were keyboards in it. i deleted it from my computer it was so bad. but i do like their cover of "a funeral for a friend".

bueno bob
12-04-2005, 12:05 PM
Math metal.

Next.

fuckhowardstern
12-04-2005, 12:09 PM
Anyway they beat the tar out of Aerosmith.

bueno bob
12-04-2005, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by fuckhowardstern

Well yeah, but that doesn't take much these days..."I Don't Wanna Miss a Thing" isn't exactly the epitamy of "KICK ASS ROCK 'N' ROLL", you know.... :D

I have "Change of Seasons", but basically because they do the covers so damn well...as far as their original material is concerned, I liked "Pull Me Under" but the rest of it just sounds...horribly overcomplicated...and I have a hard time getting into things like that...

bueno bob
12-04-2005, 12:15 PM
Somebody once was ranting and raving that I had to check out Blind Guardian, so I got "Nightfall in Middle-Earth", I think it was called...took the thing to the pawn shop after I listened to (or tried to listen to) the first four tracks and was pleasantly surprised to get $3 out of it - used it to pick up a used copy of "Master of Puppets" (plus $1 more) and considered myself further ahead.

I just can't get into progressive metal that requires a degree in advanced trig and rocket science in order to be able to perform it.

fuckhowardstern
12-04-2005, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by bueno bob
Math metal.....

To an extent you are correct. Those guys sure do know how to count in odd time signature.

I do not mean to imply anything disrespectful (because anyone who posts "I Love Van Halen"is cool in my book) but you do have to have a certain intelligence to truly appreciate a band as cerebral as Dream Theater (or Rush, King Crimson or Yes, for that matter). Of course I am not trying to say if you do not enjoy Dream Theater you are not intelligent, so please do not read that statement into this post.

nosuchluck
12-04-2005, 12:17 PM
i thought they were great uptil Scenes From A Memory - the albums after that sucked hard...

their side projects are great (if not better) - Liquid Tension Experiment, Transatlantic, Platypus, Jelly Jam.

bueno bob
12-04-2005, 12:19 PM
To an extent you are correct. Those guys sure do know how to count in odd time signature.

I do not mean to imply anything disrespectful (because anyone who posts "I Love Van Halen"is cool in my book) but you do have to have a certain intelligence to truly appreciate a band as cerebral as Dream Theater (or Rush, King Crimson or Yes, for that matter). Of course I am not trying to say if you do not enjoy Dream Theater you are not intelligent, so please do not read that statement into this post.

I hear what you're saying, and I'm an old fan of Yes, Kansas, ELP, that sort of thing, but bands like Dream Theater and Blind Guardian just take it way too far to the extreme for my tastes.

And yes, the oddball time signatures are why I used the term "math metal", and that's basically how I define all of the bands of that genre (Demons and Wizards, Blind Guardian, et al).

Peace.

Soul Reaper
12-05-2005, 11:29 AM
Images and Words is a damn fine album....

anything beyond Change of Seasons isn't so good....

Live at Budokan DVD rocked though!

NATEDOG001976
12-07-2005, 08:22 AM

Aerosmith was probably a big Influence on them. Sure, some of the new poppy song kinda suck, but there are some hidden gems on their new cd's that nobody hears unless they buy the CD.

Soul Reaper
12-07-2005, 08:33 AM
A lot of successful rock bands has influenced Dream Theater....

Queen, ELP, Yes, Van Halen, Rush, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Genesis, Led Zeppelin, Frank Zappa, The Who.....

NATEDOG001976
12-09-2005, 10:21 AM
DREAM THEATER FUCKING ROCKS - Discuss

And you say my posts are dumb?

fuckhowardstern
12-09-2005, 11:35 AM
No I say your posts are gay, dumb and an attempt to get attention.

bueno bob
12-09-2005, 11:38 AM
No I say your posts are gay, dumb and an attempt to get attention.

Whose AREN'T???

;)

Soul Reaper
12-09-2005, 12:06 PM
heh....I think we're all guilty of attention whore threads.... :)

fuckhowardstern
12-09-2005, 12:57 PM
I don't know - I beg to differ. Out of the three threads I started, one was a question about downloading Van Halen boots, one was to chat with Arielle (which I surely didn't think anyone would read but was proven wrong!) and the other was supposed to be a pun on the Aerosmith appreciation thread substituting Dream Theater for Aerosmith.

bueno bob
12-09-2005, 02:29 PM
I don't know - I beg to differ. Out of the three threads I started, one was a question about downloading Van Halen boots, one was to chat with Arielle (which I surely didn't think anyone would read but was proven wrong!) and the other was supposed to be a pun on the Aerosmith appreciation thread substituting Dream Theater for Aerosmith.

You're still new. Give it time, you'll be whoring it up with the best of us... :)

NATEDOG001976
12-09-2005, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by bueno bob
You're still new. Give it time, you'll be whoring it up with the best of us... :)

Thanks. Fuckhowerdstren, cut the crap.

fuckhowardstern
12-09-2005, 08:42 PM
OOOO please don't hurt me Mr. Junior hockey league tough guy....i'm sooooooooo scared of you now.....

Jahuli
12-09-2005, 11:44 PM
Hmmm, whatever happened to my Aerosmith thread?
oh yeah it slipped down to 22nd spot in the music forum, dang it!

Never heard Dream Theater but sure theyre not as good as aerosmith, Even after u take points off for the crappy pop ballads, aerosmith r still better. Also interesting how in my aerosmith thread most of the posts were about Aerosmith, were as in ur thread they r mostly about attention seeking posts and .....

My Aerosmith Thread!!!!

fuckhowardstern
12-10-2005, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by Jahuli
Hmmm, whatever happened to my Aerosmith thread?
oh yeah it slipped down to 22nd spot in the music forum, dang it!

Never heard Dream Theater but sure theyre not as good as aerosmith, Even after u take points off for the crappy pop ballads, aerosmith r still better. Also interesting how in my aerosmith thread most of the posts were about Aerosmith, were as in ur thread they r mostly about attention seeking posts and .....

My Aerosmith Thread!!!!

Well what can I say to that Jahuli except that I guess you are just ten times cooler, more popular and better looking than I am. I am truly humbled by your superiority. And, by the way, save yourself some money - don't buy any dream theater - you wouldn't like them anyway.

EbDawson
12-10-2005, 12:35 AM
I saw Dream Theater on the Megadeth Gigantour. They are great musicians but I got a little tired of the 10-minute numbers. Spent the 2nd half of their show near the Beer stand.

sammysucks65
12-13-2005, 04:57 PM
i like petrucci or whatever his name is...he toured with vai and satch not too long ago. awesome

DeadOrAlive
12-13-2005, 08:00 PM
Caught In a Web
The Glass Prison
The Test that Stumped them All

Dream Theater really knew how to play their instruments.

fuckhowardstern
12-14-2005, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by sammysucks65
i like petrucci or whatever his name is...he toured with vai and satch not too long ago. awesome

You want to hear a John Petrucci guitar solo that will blow your young and impressionable mind? Download "In the Name of God" from their Live at Budokan CD.

nosuchluck
12-14-2005, 08:48 AM
Petrucci's guitar playing has become far too sterile for my liking, nowadays. He hasn't played anything that's really impressed me since he switched over to EBMM guitars.

even his solo album "Suspended Animation" left me cold. however some of you guys might like it - check out his collaboration with Jordan Rudess (the DT keyboardist) : the album is called "An Evening with Rudess and Petrucci". its worth checking out even if you aren't a big fan...

fuckhowardstern
12-14-2005, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by nosuchluck
Petrucci's guitar playing has become far too sterile for my liking, nowadays. He hasn't played anything that's really impressed me since he switched over to EBMM guitars.

even his solo album "Suspended Animation" left me cold. however some of you guys might like it - check out his collaboration with Jordan Rudess (the DT keyboardist) : the album is called "An Evening with Rudess and Petrucci". its worth checking out even if you aren't a big fan...

That is a valid criticism of Petrucci's playing as well as the genre ("neo prog"...whatever) as a whole. In fact I remember hearing the same thing about Rush and Genesis 20 years ago and that observation is not without merit. I guess one of the reasons why I am drawn to this band is that there is really a void out there now. Popular music is about as talentless as it has ever been as far as musicianship and songwriting goes. So, to me, it is refreshing that bands like Dream Theater still exists even if it is a bit parched. I did download some of the "Evening" songs and there is some interesting music there. Jordan Rudess is an outstanding keyboard player that adds real dimension to the band IMHO.

nosuchluck
12-14-2005, 01:09 PM
That is a valid criticism of Petrucci's playing as well as the genre ("neo prog"...whatever) as a whole. In fact I remember hearing the same thing about Rush and Genesis 20 years ago and that observation is not without merit. I guess one of the reasons why I am drawn to this band is that there is really a void out there now. Popular music is about as talentless as it has ever been as far as musicianship and songwriting goes. So, to me, it is refreshing that bands like Dream Theater still exists even if it is a bit parched. I did download some of the "Evening" songs and there is some interesting music there. Jordan Rudess is an outstanding keyboard player that adds real dimension to the band IMHO.

I like Jordan Rudess' playing a lot too - you should check out his latest solo album "Rhythm Of Time" - its got Rod Morgenstein, Vinnie Moore, Satriani, Greg Howe and even Kip Winger on it! its a great album overall, if you're into prog, that is.

Dream Theater was pretty refreshing to me too with the great level of musicianship, but i think their well has run dry. I wasn't the least bit impressed with the last three studio albums - I think it has a lot to do with their involvement in side projects. You should check them out - I personally prefer their side projects to DT itself.

Liquid Tension Experiment - great instrumental prog - Petrucci at his finest, imo.

Transatlantic - its not too heavy, but its great music. Mike Portnoy is in this one.

Platypus - Ty Tabor, Rod Morgenstein, Derek Sherinian and John Myung - love this band.

Jelly Jam - its Platypus minus Sherinian. the music is really different though - Kings X fans will dig this a lot.

Another really good prog band that has its own sound is Pain Of Salvation. Its not virtuoso prog or anything - these guys have their own style - very unique and refreshing.

fuckhowardstern
12-14-2005, 03:10 PM
Hey man - thanks for the leads! I have yet to hear any of side projects but I have heard good things about them before. Aside from hearing a friend's CD a few years back, I have really only been listening to Dream Theater for a few months now so it is all really fresh to me. For better or worse (but usually for the better) I have an aversion to anything new so it takes me a while to catch on (in this case about ten years). Sorry to hear that I may have caught on too late after the band has peaked but I will certainly listen to the music you suggested based on your recommendations. I'll have to ask LoungeMachine about the new Jordan Rudess album (LOL).

nosuchluck
12-14-2005, 03:51 PM
Hey man - thanks for the leads! I have yet to hear any of side projects but I have heard good things about them before. Aside from hearing a friend's CD a few years back, I have really only been listening to Dream Theater for a few months now so it is all really fresh to me. For better or worse (but usually for the better) I have an aversion to anything new so it takes me a while to catch on (in this case about ten years). Sorry to hear that I may have caught on too late after the band has peaked but I will certainly listen to the music you suggested based on your recommendations. I'll have to ask LoungeMachine about the new Jordan Rudess album (LOL).

No sweat. I used to have an aversion to all things new too, but I realised that I was missing out on a lot of great music. Its very 'hit or miss', but with mp3s and free downloads, etc., one can afford to give more things a try.