PDA

View Full Version : Aerosmith Album Review

PHOENIX
03-31-2004, 03:31 PM
THE ROLLING STONE REVIEW
DAVID FRICKE
RS 946, April 15, 2004

Of the many reasons why middle-class white boys such as Eric Clapton and Aerosmith flocked to the music of older, impoverished black men in the 1960s and early 1970s, here is one of the best: The great bluesmen were also great pop songwriters. Robert Johnson, Willie Dixon and Mississippi Fred McDowell, to name just three, told real-life stories in hot, tight packages of poetic vernacular and hard-won joy. Clapton and Aerosmith take different routes back to blues school on these covers albums, but they do so with mutual fealty and honest delight... (Go Here for full Clapton review).

Aerosmith don't have much time for pain on Honkin' on Bobo. The songs are mostly about gettin' some, then gettin' outta there -- Dixon's "I'm Ready," Bo Diddley's "Road Runner" -- and the attack is heavy Sixties shindig: snarling guitars, thunderclap drumming, Steven Tyler's 3-D snake hiss and widescreen yowl. Bobo is really a combined tribute: to the originators of the blues' core repertoire and the explosive, electric inventions of 1960s British bands such as the Yardbirds, Mayall's Bluesbreakers and the Peter Green-era Fleetwood Mac. Aerosmith's devil's-army gallop through "Baby Please Don't Go" is a lunatic escalation of Them's 1965 cover of the Big Joe Williams song. There is a tightness to this mania; Bobo is a celebratory attack on the canon, not a violation of it. And there are moments of exotic restraint, such as the misty-mountain noir of Perry's hurdy-gurdy in McDowell's "Back Back Train." But Aerosmith's specialty is jubilant overkill, and Bobo is a huge, affectionate spoonful. You want scholarship and propriety? You're barking at the wrong doghouse.

Mama's Fool
03-31-2004, 03:37 PM
I really like the album. I'm kinded of curiious why they left off some songs that were originally rumored to be on the album like Mannish Boy from Muddy.

PHOENIX
03-31-2004, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Mama's Fool
I really like the album. I'm kinded of curiious why they left off some songs that were originally rumored to be on the album like Mannish Boy from Muddy.

You got a copy already?

DLR7884
04-01-2004, 12:24 AM
Yeah, I didn't know it was out yet.

DLR7884
Where did you get it?

Mama's Fool
04-01-2004, 09:01 AM
Came out Tuesday, got it at Best Buy.
Their version of Road Runner is GREAT!

PHOENIX
04-01-2004, 03:23 PM
Came out Tuesday, got it at Best Buy.
Their version of Road Runner is GREAT!

I think i'll look into this album.

WACF
04-02-2004, 10:37 AM
It is the best thing they have put out in a few years...

famac
04-02-2004, 10:56 AM
It's a good record - not as good as Push To Play though. THe last song is my favorite. The sound is really great. Jack Douglas back at the board - and he seems to have picked up modern production skills.

High Life Man
04-02-2004, 02:13 PM
Fuck that.

Listen to the originals.

There are some real BLUES artists out there that put Aerosmith to shame.

ALMOSTsaved
04-02-2004, 02:25 PM
High Life Man, while I don't agree with your statement regarding the Aerosmith album, I DO feel your words ring true for the Diamond Dave release.

I think "Honkin' On Bobo" is a fuckin' smash!

twonabomber
04-02-2004, 03:01 PM
can't be any good, there are no Desmond Child or Diane Warren songs on it. :D

ALMOSTsaved
04-02-2004, 05:26 PM
Neither does any Dave albums...

Guess that's what's wrong with Diamond Dave.

David Lee Rocks
04-04-2004, 06:35 PM
I love the album!! And I love the Diamond dave album also!!

High Life Man
04-04-2004, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by ALMOSTsaved
I think "Honkin' On Bobo" is a fuckin' smash!

I got a copy this weekend. Haven't listened to it yet, but will tomorrow and let you know what I think.

High Life Man
04-06-2004, 01:04 PM
Album is OK at best.

The cover of "I'm Ready" is just plain wrong...and bad.

David Van Via
05-02-2004, 02:22 PM
I heard the album at my friends house and thought it sounded good.

Loons The Great
05-05-2004, 09:36 PM
Thiz a here is my favourite 'Smith album since...Pump...ALL HELL YEAH!!! Aerosmith can re-unite with all of THEIR original members and record a kickass blues album with their original producer--meanwhile, Van Hagar re-unites for a tour that is sure to be as boring and mundane as the '91 and '93 tours...'Nuff said...anyway, back to honkin'...this album is great...Great Hoggily Woggily I lub me some You Gotta Move...I can't believe that 'Smith smoked the Stones and maybe even Mississippi Fred's versions!!!!!!! I dig the way that the band put their own nuclear touch on many, many ol' blues themes and feelings( you know that feelin of oh Lawd hab mercy please let me get out that front door or a window alive 'fore her husband catch me here...). Baby Please Don't Go--Jumpin Juke Jointin' Loons I say God Damn, that's the boogie right there!! Rivals even the great Page/Plant and AC/DC and Big Joe Williams and Muddy Waters versions sho' nuff indeed!!

PHOENIX
05-05-2004, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Loons The Great
Thiz a here is my favourite 'Smith album since...Pump...ALL HELL YEAH!!! Aerosmith can re-unite with all of THEIR original members and record a kickass blues album with their original producer--meanwhile, Van Hagar re-unites for a tour that is sure to be as boring and mundane as the '91 and '93 tours...'Nuff said...anyway, back to honkin'...this album is great...Great Hoggily Woggily I lub me some You Gotta Move...I can't believe that 'Smith smoked the Stones and maybe even Mississippi Fred's versions!!!!!!! I dig the way that the band put their own nuclear touch on many, many ol' blues themes and feelings( you know that feelin of oh Lawd hab mercy please let me get out that front door or a window alive 'fore her husband catch me here...). Baby Please Don't Go--Jumpin Juke Jointin' Loons I say God Damn, that's the boogie right there!! Rivals even the great Page/Plant and AC/DC and Big Joe Williams and Muddy Waters versions sho' nuff indeed!!

I was wondering when you'd show up.:D

redblkwht
05-06-2004, 12:54 AM
Order me up something like Loons is havin....
FLAME ON said dave-:D

cwsmith17
05-06-2004, 01:17 AM
liver nuts

Loons The Great
07-14-2004, 02:27 PM

I'd bet my bottom dollar that they left off Mannish Boy because they likes "Temperature" mo'--an' it is a stop time ba da da da dun tune juss like Hoochie Coochie Man sho' nuff' I Ain't Lyin', Y'all Yez Yez Yezzer..."You Gotta Move" iz a great tune to cruise 'round to FO' SHO'...I say hey Bo Diddley...

ELVIS
07-16-2004, 03:24 AM
I've had this album since it came out and I like it more and more...

Good guitar and killer vocals!

:elvis: