PDA

View Full Version : The Who DVD set

Alex Mogilny
12-09-2005, 03:55 PM
I was very dissapointed in The Who DVD set

The first DVD is a full 'Tommy' show done in LA in 1989. The show reeks of 80's cheese. Townshend is wearing a double breasted suit ala Clapton of the same time period and Daltrey is trying to be like Bruce Springsteen.

The music is just awful. Fucking synthesizers everywhere. The worst part of the Tommy performance is Phil Collins. He plays "Uncle Ernie".
Every time I see Phil Collins I just want to puke.

The second DVD is a full 'Qudrophenia' show done in 1996. It is a little bit better. They have some kid playing Jimmy and he does a narration throughout the whole performance to enlighten the people that have never heard Quadrophenia as to what it is about. Suprisingly enough Billy Idol does a pretty good job acting as Jimmy during the stage performance.

The narration kills it for me though.

Don't waste your money on this DVD set. Avoid at all costs.

Hey Townshend why don't you release 'Live At Leeds' on DVD. Everyone knows it was taped and everyone already knows the audio is outstanding.

Hardrock69
12-09-2005, 04:15 PM
I have had the 1989 show on VHS since...well...1989.

It was a PPV event and I taped it.

Have not watched it since.

Terry
12-09-2005, 11:06 PM
The Who post-Moon are dodgy at best. First few tours with Jones were ok, but the Who Rocks America was nothing special.

Would have thought getting Simon Phillips in there would have helped, but there were too many damn other musicians onstage with the Who on the 1989 tour.

Zakk Starkey is probably my fave drummer post-1978, but the Who really should have packed it in after Keith died. They've been on a nostalgia trip for a quarter century now.

Pretty much too fucking right: release DVDs of the band when Moon was in it or don't fucking bother.

Hardrock69
12-10-2005, 12:47 AM
Or get plugged into the bootleg undergroung and get DVDs of the Who with Keith without having to bother with the tiresome process of waiting for something that may not ever get released officially.....

Jack68
12-10-2005, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Alex Mogilny
I was very dissapointed in The Who DVD set

The first DVD is a full 'Tommy' show done in LA in 1989. The show reeks of 80's cheese. Townshend is wearing a double breasted suit ala Clapton of the same time period and Daltrey is trying to be like Bruce Springsteen.

The music is just awful. Fucking synthesizers everywhere. The worst part of the Tommy performance is Phil Collins. He plays "Uncle Ernie".
Every time I see Phil Collins I just want to puke.
I agree with most of this i must say.As for The Who on ice tour in 89 either you liked it or hated it.To compare any Moon era stuff ...The tommy show in 89 i saw @ radio city music hall was amazing and the quadrophenia shows in 96-97 were also amazing.Believe you me i am starving for some real Who releases which we might get.As fot the who now with townshend and daltrey and Zak...I enjoy them live and maybe they can put out a decent disc 2 somepoint.They got by with Zak who is amazing but when Entwistle died forget it.Ill also be there to see them next summer when they tour.Check out this website.
http://www.thewhomovie.com/

The second DVD is a full 'Qudrophenia' show done in 1996. It is a little bit better. They have some kid playing Jimmy and he does a narration throughout the whole performance to enlighten the people that have never heard Quadrophenia as to what it is about. Suprisingly enough Billy Idol does a pretty good job acting as Jimmy during the stage performance.

The narration kills it for me though.

Don't waste your money on this DVD set. Avoid at all costs.

Hey Townshend why don't you release 'Live At Leeds' on DVD. Everyone knows it was taped and everyone already knows the audio is outstanding.

tydhurst
12-11-2005, 11:57 PM
I actually enjoyed the "Tommy live" disc. It had the Ox on it and it had a big production, sure, Phil Collins and Patty LaBelle were unwelcome additions, but i still think it was a good enough live performance.

Have you checked out the "Live Hits" disc... "Rough Boys" is the gayest fucking song i have EVER heard!

Hardrock69
12-12-2005, 12:42 AM
Christ...there is video of Live At Leeds????

That is supposed to be their ultimate greatest luve recording!!

Man....it shoulda already been released.

Hardrock69
12-12-2005, 12:50 AM
Ahhh...they have found 16mm excerpts of the show...so far not the entire show itself.

However, the director is apparently editing the film right now!

Here is a direct link to his blog...

http://www.thewhomovie.com/blog/

Alex Mogilny
12-12-2005, 10:04 AM
Yeah...live at leeds was filmed. Of course everyone has the audio via 'live at leeds' deluxe edition.

but I want to see the video.

i figured townshend would've released it after the success of Zep's how the west was won.

time will tell

Hardrock69
12-12-2005, 11:29 AM
Hell they did not even know there was any video until the past 3 months...

Soul Reaper
12-12-2005, 12:05 PM
Live at Leeds on DVD would be great....beyond great....

I would certainly buy it....

....I wonder why Townsend hasn't released it already?

Alex Mogilny
12-12-2005, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
Hell they did not even know there was any video until the past 3 months...

I read an article a long time ago...about the time of the release of 'live at leeds' deluxe edition.

Pete mentioned that he had the video from live at leeds but the quality was not up to his standards.

Hardrock69
12-13-2005, 02:54 AM
Well, hell.

This must be why the director said they had video clips from Live At Leeds, instead of the entire show.

But then, FUCK Pete's standards.

The fucking video is a historical document and should be released in it's entiretly!!!