PDA

View Full Version : Internet security , Browsing safely : PC vs Mac

flappo
12-10-2005, 11:29 AM
PC:

1. Establish a firewall
2. Update Windows: Some updates require that you restart the computer. Continue with Windows Update until there are no more critical updates to download. [MacDailyNews Note: this could take awhile.]
3. Install and run anti-virus programs: Typically, anti-virus programs that come with new computers are only good for a short trial period. After that, the program will continue to run and monitor your system, but it will do so with old virus definitions. That's better than nothing, but not by much. To continue receiving updates, you'll have to buy the full product. Expect to pay about $40 for a year's worth of updates.
4. Stop the spies: Viruses aren't the only bad things that can invade your computer. Spyware and adware are just as prevalent. Adware sits on your computer and feeds ads to you. Spyware collects information about you and reports back to a computer over the Internet. Ads tailored to your interests are returned to your computer. Far worse are keyloggers. These programs record your keystrokes and e-mail them to crooks. They are used to steal passwords and credit card numbers. Keyloggers are numerous and very dangerous. They are distributed via spam. A number of programs are effective against adware and spyware. McAfee AntiSpyware ($20) and Webroot Spy Sweeper ($30) are two well-reviewed products.
5. Extra protection: Now that you've done steps 1 though 4, your computer is secure enough to surf the Web. But you can still improve things. Consider a stronger firewall. You also might want to consider a security suite. McAfee, Panda Software, Symantec and Zone Labs offer anti-virus, anti-spyware and firewall capabilities in one package. Prices range from $40 to $80, depending on the version you choose.

Mac:

1. Browse the internet

i think that says it all..

FORD
12-10-2005, 03:12 PM
http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/products/front/tux_xing.jpg

LoungeMachine
12-10-2005, 04:15 PM
Yeah.

But is there any way of keeping Boyfucker joey thudner from appearing on your screen?

Now that, I'd gladly pay mucho dinero for...

Bob_R
12-10-2005, 08:18 PM
I've been a Windows user for years but for the last 13 months (at work) I've been working on a MAC. And, yes they are alot more secure than Windows.

I intentionally opened up a bogus email with an attachment and it (MAC) wouldn't let the attachment execute. On a Windows machine that e-mail would have caused problems.