PDA

View Full Version : RICHARD PRYOR Dead at 65...

Nickdfresh
12-10-2005, 04:31 PM
**Breaking News**

The long ailing Richard PRYOR has died today at the age of 65. Details to follow.

http://www.oldies.com/images/boxart/large/8/081227840525.jpg

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory?id=1393354

Pathbreaking Comedian Richard Pryor Dies
Pathbreaking Comedian Richard Pryor Dies at 65
The Associated PressThe Associated Press

LOS ANGELES Dec 10, 2005 — Richard Pryor, the caustic yet perceptive actor-comedian who lived dangerously close to the edge both on stage and off, has died. He was 65.

He died sometime late Friday or early Saturday of a heart attack at his home in the San Fernando Valley, according to his ex-wife Flyn Pryor.

Pryor, whose audacious style influenced an array of stand-up artists, had been ill for years with multiple sclerosis, a degenerative disease of the nervous system.

Regarded early in his career as one of the most foul-mouthed comics in the business, Pryor gained a wide following for his expletive-filled but universal and frequently personal insights into modern life and race relations.

Among those most influenced by his comedy were fellow black artists such as Eddie Murphy, Arsenio Hall and Damoy Wayans, as well as Robin Williams, David Letterman and others. Pryor's pioneering success made their roads to stardom all the smoother.

A series of hit comedies in the '70s and '80s, as well as filmed versions of his concert performances, helped make him one of the highest paid stars in Hollywood. He was one of the first black performers to have enough leverage to cut his own Hollywood deals. In 1983, he signed a $40 million, five-year contract with Columbia Pictures.

Among his films: "Stir Crazy," "Silver Streak," "The Bingo Long Traveling All-Stars and Motor Kings," "Which Way Is Up?" and "Richard Pryor Live on the Sunset Strip."

Copyright 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

jhale667
12-10-2005, 04:55 PM
R.I.P. :(

Va Beach VH Fan
12-10-2005, 05:04 PM
"That ******'s Crazy"...

My older sister had that album, I listened to it all the time when I was a kid....

RIP Richard....

Mr. Vengeance
12-10-2005, 05:07 PM
One of the great comedians...

Unchainme
12-10-2005, 05:12 PM
One of the most inffluencial Comedians of all time. He was hilarious, I guess he going to be God's personal comedians now :(.

Va Beach VH Fan
12-10-2005, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
"That ******'s Crazy"...

My older sister had that album, I listened to it all the time when I was a kid....

RIP Richard....

LoungeMachine
12-10-2005, 05:47 PM
damn.

Eyes of the Night
12-10-2005, 06:05 PM
R.I.P. Pryor ...

Love Eddie Murphys Pryor act in RAW ...

Jahuli
12-10-2005, 06:15 PM
I thought he already was dead!
Shit!
Funny bloke

FORD
12-10-2005, 06:18 PM
When I was in Africa, this voice came to me and said, "Richard, what do you see?" I said, I see all types of people." The voice said, "But do you see any ******s?" I said, "No." It said, "Do you know why? 'Cause there aren't any."

R.I.P. Richard......

Diamondjimi
12-10-2005, 08:40 PM
R.I.P.

DLRDUDE
12-10-2005, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Eyes
R.I.P. Pryor ...

Love Eddie Murphys Pryor act in RAW ...

Richard Pryor to Eddie Murphy on Bill Cosby telling Eddie to clean up his act. "You tell Bill to have a coke and a smile and shut the fuck up" Classic! RIP Richard Pryor

Cathedral
12-10-2005, 11:25 PM
This just breaks my heart, rest well Mr. Pryor...

Unchainme
12-11-2005, 12:39 AM
My favorite qoute of him came from Eddie murphy qouting him inhis movie.

Eddie Murphy: Richard said, "The next time the motherfucker call, tell him I said, "Suck *my* dick." I don't give a fuck. Whatever the fuck make the people laugh, say that shit. Do the people laugh when you say what you say?" I said, "Yes." He said, "Do you get paid?" I said, "Yes." He said, "Well, tell Bill I said have a Coke and a smile and shut the fuck up. Jello pudding-eating motherfucker."

Mind you this is back before the family-friendly Eddie Murphy who is fucking lame now

POJO_Risin
12-11-2005, 12:49 AM
Whenever I saw Pryor...I always thought of that movie he was in...the comedy show where he talked about freebasing and catching on fire...how he turned that into humor...

and how he used it to turn himself around...

When that fire hit your ass, it will sober your ass up *quick*! I saw something, I went, "Well, that's a pretty blue. You know what? That looks like *fire*!" Fire is inspirational. They should use it in the Olympics, because I ran the 100 in 4.3.

LoungeMachine
12-11-2005, 01:03 AM
He said once about the "accident" [ Jo Jo Dancer, Your Life Is Calling ] that he was pouring himself a glass of whole milk, but only had enough for 1/2 a glass.

So he finished filling the glass with 2% milk.

He said when he dunked the Oreo cookie in it, it exploded.

Rest In Peace, Jo Jo

Unchainme
12-11-2005, 01:59 AM
He was like the Jimi Hendrix of Comedy, He did something completley new and no one could ever top him, A Complete Rvolutionary in Comedy. R.I.P. Bro, For without you Comedy Would not be at the point ikt is today.

EbDawson
12-11-2005, 02:25 AM
Stir Crazy is one of the funniest movies made. It was on just a couple of days ago, Pryor and Wilder are awesome in it.

RIP.

RuzDNailz
12-11-2005, 03:21 AM
This movie bombed at the box office, but it had some good moments.

Matt White
12-11-2005, 03:33 AM
A true LEGEND

RIP

Hardrock69
12-11-2005, 03:49 AM
Another You was the last one he made I think. He was already having trouble getting around, and could not stand very long.

Fantastic film though. The gag with Andy Sommers (ex-Police guitarist) was priceless.

God bless Rich.

He was such a kickass motherfucker.

I had "That ******'s Crazy" by the time I was 16.

The dude made me laff so many thousands of times.

They mentioned him on Saturcay Night Live tonight during Weekend Update. Showed the clip of him and Chevy Chase playing word association:

CC: "******"

Rich: "DEAD HONKEY!"

:( :( :( :(

Man I am so bummed out about this.

At least he can be laffing it up with Redd Foxx now...

DavidLeeNatra
12-11-2005, 05:37 AM
that's sad...great guy... :( R.I.P.

NATEDOG001976
12-11-2005, 07:50 AM
He 's been in some classic movies too. This sucks!

stringfelowhawk
12-11-2005, 09:58 AM
You know how people always use the same cliche' when they're talking about something that made them laugh that hard? "Made me laugh so hard I almost pissed my pants!"
Well, I'm gonna tell you a true story. My stepbrother rented "Richard Pryor: Live In Concert" and I watched it with him. To this day it is the funniest standup I've ever scene. I couldn't breathe and it didn't give me time to compose before he said something else. I couldn't stop and I already had to piss somethin fierce but trying to hold it made it worse and when he started talking about the deer huntin I started dribblin. I barely made it to the bathroom before I let go like Niagra Falls.
I became a fan that day and I'm so lucky to own his entire box collection of every album he released plus some un released gems.
If you havent seen that standup I suggest you give it look. It came out on dvd recently and I bought it to add to my stand up collection.
Listen to him talk about shooting his own car. "I shot the tires cause my wife was gonna leave my ass in it. I said, Uh Uh, if you leave you'll be driving them hush puppies you wearing. Then the Vodka I was drinkin said, Go ahead Rich, shoot something else. So I shot the engine and it fell out my car. It said, Fuck It! The cops were comin to take me to jail for killin my car. When they got there I went in the house cause they got Magnums too. And they don't kill cars. They kill NIGAAAAAAARS!"
His skits about deer huntin and black funerals are unbearably funny".
Talkin bout his dogs and pet monkeys is simply priceless. Havin a heart attack and tryin to put in a phone call to GOD behind his hearts back is genious. His charity boxing match with Muhammad Ali is certified classic.
I'm gonna miss him tremendously!

stringfelowhawk
12-11-2005, 10:03 AM
Oh, I forgot one. Him telling a story about his dad dying during sex with his girlfriend is unmatchable. "He died gettin some pussy. He came and went at the same time. Shit, thats called recyclin. She couldn't give that shit away for the next two years. Every guy said, Uh Uh. I don't wanna none of that. Look what it did to the last motherfucker you gave it to. What a hellova way to die man. If you have your choice of dyin in some pussy or getting hit by a bus, I know which line I'm gonna be in. I'm gonna be in that long motherfuckin line."

Coyote
12-11-2005, 10:19 AM
R.I.P Mr. Pryor...

Wayne L.
12-11-2005, 10:23 AM
He left his mark in the comedy world with his in your face humor & attitude while no other black comedian has come close to his genius & I'll always REMEMBER him from his SNL appearance way back in 75.

jhale667
12-11-2005, 02:31 PM
Ever hear the one where he said the ONLY reason he got married the first time was because she proposed to him when he was coming? "Are you gonna marry me?" "YEEEEEEESSSS!" :D

RuzDNailz
12-11-2005, 04:11 PM
Some of his classic movies include Moving, Critical Condition, and his role in one of the Superman movie series. Plus, Brewsters Millions will always be one of the top comedy movies out there.

See No Evil, Hear No Evil - *stands up suddenly in a subway train in deep shock* "you mean I"m not white!? It feels like it!" Just some of the many great moments he had in movies.

R.I.P. Mr. Richard Pryor

jhale667
12-11-2005, 04:26 PM
Another funny one from whatever stand-up movie he was talking about his trip to Africa...a tribal leader told him he could tell what tribe any American black descended from just by looking at them..."I asked him 'What tribe do you think I came from?' and he said 'Italian'". :D

NATEDOG001976
12-11-2005, 08:58 PM
The Toy was sweet!

Terry
12-11-2005, 09:46 PM
Pryor was just fucking brilliant. His best movies, to me, were his live concert films.

Chris Rock, Martin Lawrence and the rest of today's crop of black comedians can't touch what Richard did. Only Chappelle seems to even be trying. He gets a nod.

Sad that he's gone. Kind of a relief, because he struggled with his health for so long. Hope he's at peace now.

stringfelowhawk
12-11-2005, 10:37 PM
In "Live Sunset Strip" he starts talkin bout him and Gene Wilder going to a prison in Arizona right before filming "Stir Crazy" and how its full of all these bad motherfuckers. He goes on naming all these gang affiliation and racist groups. "White supremecist, black panthers, Mau Mau's, muslims, and double muslims. You gotta watch them double muslims cause they some bad motherfuckers. Double muslims can't wait to get to Allah and they wanna take eight or nine motherfuckers with em!"
His African trip is my favorite skit from that standup. The gazelle messin with the cheetahs is awesome.

OULUVROTH2
12-11-2005, 11:09 PM
WHo gives a shit

BOMBER
12-11-2005, 11:50 PM
Sad news but not unexpected.
RIP Richard Pryor

LoungeMachine
12-11-2005, 11:52 PM
Jesus, Bomber....

That Avatar.

wow.

WARF
12-11-2005, 11:53 PM
wow that sucks!

LoungeMachine
12-11-2005, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by OULUVROTH2
WHo gives a shit

A few million more than when you croak.

Bummer for you, huh :rolleyes:

LoungeMachine
12-11-2005, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by WARF
wow that sucks!

Yeah, but what a catalogue he left us.....

:cool:

BOMBER
12-12-2005, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
Jesus, Bomber....

That Avatar.

wow.
Kylie's class.:cool:

LoungeMachine
12-12-2005, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by BOMBER
Kylie's class.:cool:

Minogue?

That's her?

I'm shocked, as most pics of her I can't stand, much like her "music"

Regardless, just so we can stay on topic here.....I'm sure if Richard was alive today he'd say Lounge, you mutherfucker, you better hit that shit ;)

:cool:

Soul Reaper
12-12-2005, 11:50 AM
a video of Richard Pryor I've found....

http://www.devilducky.com/media/37546/