PDA

View Full Version : weightlifting

Steve Savicki
03-31-2004, 10:06 PM
To those that lift weights:

Would you mind giving me your workout routine?
It's time to change the workout (part of the lift is in your mind you know). It's time to change the repetition set and such.
Could you give me your sets and amount of reps? Mine is 1 set each:

a 9
a 7
a 5
a 3
a 1
cool down with infinite (burnout) set of the lightest weight used on 9

Steve

knuckleboner
04-02-2004, 01:34 AM
depends on the exercise.

generally, i do 4 sets per exercise. i'm trying to gain a little muscle mass, rather than tone, so i shoot for 8-10 reps max in the 1st set, and go a little heavier for sets 2 and 3, working my way down to 4-6 reps on the 3rd set. lighting up a little on the last set and shooting for 6-8 reps.

generally, i hit between 3 and 5 exercises per muscle group. i switch up which exercises i do for each muscle group every few times i work that particular group. though, i've heard from people who know much more than i (and have the physiques to prove it:D) that simply switching up how much time you take between sets and how slowly (or fast) you perform each rep can do the same.

i know a guy who does competitions and does nothing but miltary presses for shoulders. but he switches between going really heavy and taking 2-3 minutes in between sets and going medium heavy other days and taking 30 seconds in between sets.

i've also found that switching up which exercises you do on which days helps.

i go between hitting the muscle groups twice, like chest and trys on day 1 and back and bis on day 2, to after a while alternate muscle groups, like back and chest on day 1 and arms on day 2.

...that, and i shoot up anabolic steriods like a motherfucker!;)

Steve Savicki
04-02-2004, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by knuckleboner
...that, and i shoot up anabolic steriods like a motherfucker!;)
So does this make you one of the "drug guys"?:eek: No seriously, what's the difference between anabolic steroids and regular ones?

Do you take protein as well?

knuckleboner
04-02-2004, 11:06 AM
no dude, i don't take steroids. or even creatine.

anabolic here just means muscle-building. so, to be honest, i DO take steriods from time to time...but the cortizone-type cream steriods prescribed by a doctor to treat skin rashes and the like. but they aren't anabolic, so i could injest a million of 'em and it'd have zero effect on exercise.

yeah, i take protein, but i keep it simple. just whey protein. nothing else added. there are protein shakes out there with a bunch of amino acids and other things added. i steer clear of those. i'm not competing for anything.

i just use plain protein shakes because it's any easy way to augment the protein intake.

Steve Savicki
04-02-2004, 11:29 AM
Off topic - knuckleboner, pleased to meet you. Had to greet you because your screen name inspired me to make a Dungeons & Dragons character...

made an evil gnome wizard and named him Knuckleboner knick-knack... but decided not to use him after all.

knuckleboner
04-02-2004, 12:05 PM
i think we've crossed paths before.

but, don't credit my screenname for any inspiration. all credit goes to one of the rockin'-est roth tunes...

Steve Savicki
04-02-2004, 01:58 PM
Which tune is that again?

Roth & Roll
04-06-2004, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Steve Savicki
To those that lift weights:

Would you mind giving me your workout routine?
It's time to change the workout (part of the lift is in your mind you know). It's time to change the repetition set and such.
Could you give me your sets and amount of reps? Mine is 1 set each:

a 9
a 7
a 5
a 3
a 1
cool down with infinite (burnout) set of the lightest weight used on 9

Steve

What is it you would like to do? Gain mass? Definition?
If you're looking to gain mass, you can try what worked for me - train each body part once a week. I gained 12 pounds of lean mass in 8 months doing this and it works really well for me. The heavier you train, the more time the body needs in order for the muscles AND connective tissue (Tendons, Ligaments) to recover. The actual workout is important, however after 8 years of training, I can tell you for a fact that what you do OUTSIDE of the gym is 80% of the battle.

- Drink at least 12 glasses of water a day.
- Sleep at least 8 full hours a night - EVERY NIGHT!
- Consume at least 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight per day.
- Break down your meals to 1 meal every 3-4 hours.
- Invest a good 15 minutes every morning into stretching. Muscles grow a lot quicker when they're limber.

For my one bodypart per week workouts, this is how I train.
45 second break between each set of each exercise, 16 sets total per body part with the exception of biceps, triceps and delts which I only hit for 12 sets since they are much smaller muscle groups.

I'll give you an excample of how I use this method -

Day 1 - Chest, Abs
CHEST
Incline Bench Press - 4 sets
1st set - highest maximum weight for 12 reps. If I don't reach failure after 12 reps, I add weight.
2nd set - failure (usually at 10 reps)
3rd set - failure (Usually around 8 reps)
4th set - failure (Usually around 5-7 reps)

Flat Bench Press with Dumbells - 4 sets
Dumbell Flyes - 4 sets
Cable Crossovers OR Dips - 4 sets

ABS
Crunches - 4 sets - reps to failure
Seated Leg Raises - 4 sets - reps to failure

I do all my exercises following the same guidelines (sets,reps and break) as I did on Incline Bench Press.

If your workouts last longer than 1 hour, a high quality carb-drink is important. (On days I train chest and abs, my workouts usually last about 60-65 minutes) Something with at least 70 grams of carbohydrates will do the trick. You need to replenish your fuel supply while training otherwise your body will go catabolic which will curb any potential gains you may make.

Supersets, Changing the order of your exercises, and Changing the tempo of how you execute your reps are all great ways of shocking your body into new growth. (These methods always gave me good results)

BigBadBrian
04-06-2004, 06:34 PM
Go really heavy every so often. Concentrate on the exercises for the major muscle groups and do a light set or two of the exercise for warmup and then nail them with a 5, 4, 3 rep per set progression. All to failure. You want to concentrate on exercises like squats, bench press, military press, power cleans, deadlifts, lat pulldowns, etc.

Golden AWe
04-07-2004, 06:06 PM
I'm a little bad in the english terms when it comes to training, but one thing that I would mention about my training is the legth of the pauses.

When I'm doing heavy sets with max. weights (bench press), (4X3-6 reps), I have about 3-minute pauses after every set...when I'm doing stamina sets (4x10-14 reps), I hold smaller pauses, usually one minute.

I like to change the days a little every time, f.e. shoulders, biceps and triceps have several different weights and ways you can use...

My day 1 usually includes bench day with triceps with max weights, shoulders, biceps and stomach.

Day 2 is upper and lower back, and the sides of the stomach/back. Stomach.

Day 3 is chest, shoulders, biceps and stomach.

Day 4 is legs and lower back.

Day 5 is triceps with narrow bench press, light weights on shoulders and biceps, stomach.

Every bench day includes bench and two other movements (?) on triceps/chest. The biceps sets are done after the bench, it gives the main muscles a little time to recover. The shoulders are trained with 2 different movements of 3-4 sets, and the stomach - as much as I have energy left.

The methods I use are the guidelines of a Finnish powerlifting world veteran champion I happen to know - I like them, it's mostly on gaining power instead of just big muscles. The danish guys in front of the mirrors, every time I go to this gym...they are sooo funny. SOLARIUM
:p

Golden AWe
04-07-2004, 06:07 PM
Oh yeah, weight-lifting is FUN!!!