PDA

View Full Version : Who is the best USC tailback of all time?

POJO_Risin
12-11-2005, 12:39 AM
Mike Garrett

OJ Simpson

Marcus Allen

Charles White

Reggie Bush

Make your ranking right here...

I'd go...

OJ, Marcus, Bush, White, Garrett...

the first 2 and last 2 being interchangable...

ALinChainz
12-11-2005, 01:18 AM
OJ
Marcus
Charles
Bush
Garrett
Bell (thought Id add him)

POJO_Risin
12-11-2005, 01:34 AM
Bush...BEHIND Charles White?

POJO_Risin
12-11-2005, 01:35 AM
White was great...

didn't drugs keep him from being a good pro...

I know he had a good year I think...a few years after the draft...

ALinChainz
12-11-2005, 01:36 AM
Maybe not in talent or numbers ... just the impact on the team he was on ... Bush had a lot more help it seems ...

I remember a TD he had against Michigan in a Rose Bowl that was a fumble, but they gave it to him.

ALinChainz
12-11-2005, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin
White was great...

didn't drugs keep him from being a good pro...

I know he had a good year I think...a few years after the draft...

Can't recall ... could have been the snow ... played for the Rams and Browns I think?

POJO_Risin
12-11-2005, 01:39 AM
And if you mention Ricky Bell...

you have to mention Anthony Davis...

He finished 2nd...like Bell...and led USC to a national title...

and he's third all-time on the USC rushing list...unless Bush passed him...

POJO_Risin
12-11-2005, 01:42 AM
White...

drafted by...the Browns...I'm pretty sure...

ended up taking over for Dickerson I think when he went to the Colts...

and having 1,000 yard year...but was out of football soon afterwards...

ALinChainz
12-11-2005, 01:53 AM

He finished 2nd...like Bell...and led USC to a national title...

and he's third all-time on the USC rushing list...unless Bush passed him...

Hell yeah Davis ... didn't even think of him ...

USC CAREER RUSHING LEADERS (Includes bowl games)

TCB NYG AVG.

1. Charles White 1147 6245 5.44

2. Marcus Allen 932 4810 5.16

3. Anthony Davis 784 3724 4.75

4. Ricky Bell 710 3689 5.20

5. O.J. Simpson 674 3423 5.08

6. Mike Garrett 612 3221 5.27

7. Fred Crutcher 670 2815 4.20

8. Chad Morton 517 2511 4.86

9. Ricky Ervins 488 2337 4.79

10. Clarence Davis 511 2323 4.54

11. Delon Washington 498 2093 4.20

12. Orv Mohler 359 2025 5.63

13. Shawn Walters 425 2019 4.75

14. Sultan McCullough 432 1986 4.60

ALinChainz
12-11-2005, 01:54 AM
Not sure where Bush goes ... they didnt list him on their site ...

POJO_Risin
12-11-2005, 01:59 AM
I'm pretty sure Bush is in Ricky Bell land at this point...

EbDawson
12-11-2005, 02:31 AM

I remember A.D. was a terror as a return man besides his rushing. Didn't he go off to the CFL never to be heard from again?

Brett
12-11-2005, 02:31 AM
Hmmmmmm...this is a toughie. In talking with my dad, who has had the luxury of seeing ALL the great USC backs in person, he always said OJ was the best. But after this year, he's leaning towards Bush. However my dad maintains that best running back performance in USC history was Anthony Davis' 6 TD's against Notre Dame in 1972. I would agree. Reggie's legend will grow as the years pass, especially if he is successful in the NFL, and he'll go down as the best USC back ever IMO.

But here are my top 10 USC backs in order:

1. OJ
2. Bush
3. Marcus Allen
4. Charlie White (I was at that 1980 Rose Bowl in the end zone when he scored the game-winner)
5. Ricky Bell (should have won the Heisman, he was unreal)
6. Mike Garrett
7. Anthony Davis
8. Lendale White (doesn't get enough credit)
9. Chad Morton
10. Fred Crutcher

Brett
12-11-2005, 02:37 AM
In adding Reggie's numbers up real fast, he's around 3,100 career rushing yards, so 6th or so. Lendale White should be on there too, he's also around 3,000 yards. Imagine Bush's numbers if he didn't split time with another 1,000-yard rusher.

BrownSound1
12-11-2005, 03:00 AM
Who is the all-time rusher at USC?

Brett
12-11-2005, 03:55 AM
Charlie White.

Lendale White just broke White's career TD total in less than 3 years...54 career TD's.

Va Beach VH Fan
12-11-2005, 09:46 AM
I grew up watching Anthony Davis...

It's tough coming up with that list....

Mama's Fool
12-11-2005, 10:00 AM
With college ball it's so hard because you can come at the arguement with the stats angle and make Charlie White the best or you could go on just what you've seen. Everyone has a different opinion on what makes a good back, but the most complete probably is Bush.

Warham
12-11-2005, 10:03 AM
I don't think Bush will ever pass OJ. OJ had a fantastic NFL career as well, including the first 2,000 yard season. I don't think Bush will put up those kinds of numbers.

POJO_Risin
12-11-2005, 02:36 PM
Everything that people said about Bush...they said about OJ...

and OJ was a bigger back...

and OJ ran on the track team as well...and was fast...

I'm not saying that Bush can't take a hit...but...

OJ could blow you up...and then run by you...

Marcus Allen's season...2400 yards...an incredible year...

Bush shares carries...yep (and I think Lendale White will be a first rounder Brett...so as far as underrated...well...not sure I agree)...and I think you have to take that into account...and not necesarily as a positive thing...

I don't know...OJ was just an incredible back in college...

and IMO...what you do in the NFL shouldn't matter...

Brett
12-11-2005, 06:59 PM
Bush ran track for two years at SC as well, this season he decided to concentrate on football only.

To me you can toss up the best three, OJ, Bush and Marcus Allen. They all were dominating in their own way but OJ and Bush were the only two that could run away from defenses.

If OJ wasn't a murdering scum bag shunned by society, I would really be interested in hearing his thoughts on Bush.

ALinChainz
12-15-2005, 10:40 PM
Barlow to Niners: I'm the future, not Bush

By GREG BEACHAM, AP Sports Writer

December 15, 2005

SANTA CLARA, Calif. (AP) -- With the downtrodden San Francisco 49ers already destined for one of the top spots in the NFL draft order, their fans are buzzing at the possibility of a Helix High School reunion in their backfield.

But before anybody gets too excited about the prospect of quarterback Alex Smith reliving his San Diego prep years with probable No. 1 pick Reggie Bush, the man currently taking handoffs from Smith has something to say.

Kevan Barlow believes he and rookie Frank Gore are the future star running backs in San Francisco, not the Heisman Trophy winner.

Barlow, who leads the club with 581 yards rushing and three touchdowns, is battling through injuries and another round of losing in his fifth season with the 49ers. He's doubtful for Sunday's game at Jacksonville, thanks to a nagging knee injury -- but he's far from discouraged about the future.

"I feel like this is my running back show," Barlow said. "This is my offensive line, and that's how I look at it. I feel like I'm one good running back myself. I don't need to pat myself on the back or nothing, but I'm worrying about being one of the elite."

Most college football observers believe Bush already is elite, and the 49ers have a shot at being bad enough to acquire him. San Francisco (2-11) and Houston (1-12) are the only remaining NFL teams with fewer than three victories -- and they'll meet in the regular season finale Jan. 1 at Candlestick Park.

But if coach Mike Nolan is forced to decide what to do with the top pick for the second straight season, his choice carries an added complication: The 49ers' stick-thin roster arguably is thickest at running back.

Barlow, who's just 26, is signed through 2008 to a generous $20 million deal. Gore, the 49ers' third-round pick after an injury-plagued career at Miami, has shown several flashes of brilliance while rushing for 373 yards, averaging 4.8 per carry.

Barlow, who teamed up with Garrison Hearst in a tandem during his first three NFL seasons, also thinks third-stringer Maurice Hicks has a long-term NFL future.

That's why Barlow confines his thoughts about Bush to a spectator's appreciation for his highlight-reel skills.

"Right now, I'm not worried about Reggie at all," Barlow said. "I'm just worried about getting myself ready, because I feel like I'm an elite guy in this league as well. ... I've never really seen him play. I've seen highlights. I know he's got great highlights. I think we're solid at running back with me and Frank and Mo, but that's not my decision."

Bush must forgo his senior season of eligibility at USC to enter the draft, and is widely expected to do so. Nolan obviously can't comment on his draft desires -- though he jokingly suggested it would be great if the 49ers could win enough game to move up to 13th in the draft, and then find that Bush still is available.

Smith, who wasn't recruited by many big-conference colleges because much of his high-school career was spent handing off to Bush, would be thrilled to see his good friend in garnet and gold -- but he also thinks the Niners would be just fine with Barlow and Gore.

"I'm glad I don't have to make that decision," Smith said. "I'm always planning to win our next game, so if that happens, this won't be an issue. It would be great to play with Reggie, but he's going to be a great NFL player wherever he goes."

The 49ers, who have lost 11 of their last 12, must win once in their final three games to avoid their second straight 2-14 finish, which would match the worst consecutive seasons in franchise history in 1978-79.

San Francisco also could trade its top pick to avoid spending a large portion of its payroll on Smith and another high draft choice. If the 49ers end up No. 2, they're sure to get proposals from several teams interested in quarterback Matt Leinart, Bush's USC teammate.

"That's the kind of thing we'll deal with when the season ends," said Nolan, who hasn't spent any time scouting college players yet. "We've got a few more pressing things going on right now."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-49ers-barlow&prov=ap&type=lgns

POJO_Risin
12-16-2005, 07:32 PM
Yeah...I'm sure the Niners would say...lmfao...

"Um...we're sticking with Barlow over Bush"

that has to be the most ludicrous fucking statement this year in football...

rustoffa
12-16-2005, 10:04 PM
Simpson.