PDA

View Full Version : Pens nearly certain to move after 2007

POJO_Risin
12-11-2005, 04:50 PM
Well...can't say that will make me a big "Whereever the Pens go" fan...

Will this make Lemieux another Modell...

the scenarios are nearly identical...nearly...

'Slim chance' Penguins will stay in Pittsburgh, Lemieux says
Owner cites lack of progress on new arena
Sunday, December 11, 2005

By Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Penguins owner Mario Lemieux believes there is only "a slim chance" the franchise will remain in Pittsburgh after its lease at Mellon Arena expires in 2007.

Mario Lemieux -- "I think we're really running out of time."
Mr. Lemieux said yesterday that he "absolutely" believes the outlook is that bleak because of the lack of progress toward getting the up-to-date arena team officials have insisted for years is critical to keeping the Penguins here.

"I think we're really running out of time," said Mr. Lemieux, his tone laced with frustration. "We probably ran out of time already. It's been unfortunate that the city and the county haven't been willing to work with us over the last two or three years."

The Penguins' lease at Mellon Arena allows them to solicit offers for the franchise beginning in June 2006, one year before the lease is up.

Executives affiliated with a new arena in Kansas City have publicly expressed interest in acquiring the Penguins, and a group in Houston also is believed to covet them as a tenant for the arena there.

The Penguins' board of directors is scheduled to meet this week, and the long-term outlook of the team is sure to be a major topic of discussion.

"We'll sit down with everybody [to] understand what's at stake with our investment, and what's best for the franchise," Mr. Lemieux said.

The Penguins are one of several groups that will seek the license to operate a Downtown slots parlor and have pledged to put proceeds from that operation into construction of a new building. That, team officials have said, is the only realistic source of funding.

There is no guarantee the Penguins will be awarded the slots license, though. And because it is not expected to be awarded until late 2006 -- and because it generally takes about three years, to build an arena in this part of the country -- the Penguins would face the prospect of spending several more winters in a venue that cannot generate the revenue they believe is needed to make an NHL team financially viable.

"By the time we'd get the arena built, it's going to be another four or five years," Mr. Lemieux said. "Can we afford to stay here for another four or five years and assume the losses? I'm not sure."

Dick Skrinjar, spokesman for Mayor-elect Bob O'Connor, said last night that the new mayor is willing to work with the team to try to find a solution that would provide an arena for the Penguins and the city.

"In three weeks, Bob will be mayor and he's anxious to take up the challenge to work with the Penguins and every party involved to keep the Penguins in town and to pursue a multipurpose arena for the city," Mr. Skrinjar said.

However, he added that unless there is property tax relief in the city, there is no public money available to build such a facility.

"Slots and the slots developer are the best option at the moment. He's anxious to get everybody together to take a look at what's best for Pittsburgh," he said.

County Chief Executive Dan Onorato could not be reached for comment.

The Penguins are projecting a $7 million loss this season, and that figure assumes they will draw near-capacity crowds to most of their 41 regular-season home dates and advance to the second round of the playoffs.

There has been support among some public officials for using slots revenue to finance construction of an arena, regardless of who is awarded the license.

Late last week, however, the Pittsburgh Gaming Task Force declined to endorse that idea. Although that panel does not have a formal say in who gets the license, its recommendations are expected to at least be given consideration by the Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board.

"I really don't know what to think about that," Mr. Lemieux said. "Usually, that's not a good sign, but I'm not sure if they have a big say in who gets the slots. "They can make a recommendation, but at the end of the day, it's going to be up to the Gaming Board to decide what's best for the city and the community and what people bring to the table."

Anne Swager, task force co-chair, said last night that while members declined last week to endorse the use of slots revenue for an arena, that could change.

"I still think it's premature to say that we're not going to back an arena as a giveback. Maybe we will. We're just not at the point of making that decision at this point," she said.

Unchainme
12-11-2005, 06:52 PM
where would they move? Cleveland?

twonabomber
12-11-2005, 07:14 PM
Cleveland barely supports minor league hockey.

Gordon Gund had right of first refusal to an NHL team in Cleveland, but a few years ago hockey was likely to out-draw the Cavs. now that's probably not true.

i don't know how happy the Blue Jackets would be with a team in Cleveland.

Unchainme
12-11-2005, 07:32 PM
I don't think half the people in ohio realize that there is a Hockey team in Columbus. Cleveland MIGHT be able to support a hockey franchise, However I don't see them playig at the "Q", I see them playing at the CSU's Arena. The thing with Minor League hockey in Cleveland is that We are not a minor league city period, If we had a pro team I bet people would auctually care.

NATEDOG001976
12-11-2005, 07:45 PM
It's a fucking shame. I was so pissed when the North Stars left MN to go to fucking Texas. They Need to to moving teams to cities that have no clue what the NHL is!

Nickdfresh
12-11-2005, 07:56 PM
I think the article stated that parties in KANSAS CITY and HOUSTON were interested....

The new KANSAS CITY SCOUTS?
http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nhl/kansascity/KCscoutslogo.gif

Unchainme
12-11-2005, 08:18 PM
The NHL does not need ANY Franchises in the South, I say move all the teams up North until hockey becomes more popular in the states.

Va Beach VH Fan
12-11-2005, 08:22 PM
All of you just hold on to your panties....

They ain't going anywhere just yet....

All that is is a well-timed blurb thrown out there by Mario, I'm CONVINCED of it...

The Pens don't necessarily HAVE to get the slots license, there's strong public sentiment that WHOMEVER gets the license will kick in a percentage of the revenue gained for a new arena....

In addition, make sure you read the article, specificially concerning the new Mayor of Pittsburgh taking office in 3 weeks, and don't think that Mario's statement is just a coincidence....

So all of that Kansas City, Houston, Winnipeg talk can fucking CEASE.....

I refuse to even think about it, I cannot fathom the Penguins pulling a Modell.....

NATEDOG001976
12-11-2005, 08:52 PM
Another shame that Winnipeg lost their team too. Well, Minnesota got it right this time. The Wild are going NOWHERE, they have sold out every game since 2000 and have a top 5 state of the art arena with a great fan base. It's fucking great watching a game at the X!

Va Beach VH Fan
12-11-2005, 09:28 PM
Helluva rant by Mark Madden....

I pretty much think he's a blowhard, but in this case, he's right... This is gonna get ugly...

http://letsgopens.pookalooka.com/read.php?board=1&id=362508

Subject: monologue for tomorrow's show. feel free to post at other sites...

Today is a somber day on the MM show. Somber because I must declare war. I must declare war on that pig of a governor, Ed Rendell. On that scumbag of a mayor, Bob O’Connor. On the various and sundry dolts that leave a trail of slime through the city, county and state governments. On the crooked, bent, on-the-take hacks that determine who’s gonna get the stand-alone slots license here in Pittsburgh. You heard Mario Lemieux on SAT. Nothing’s getting done, so he and the Penguins’ other owners are gonna consider all their options, and rightfully so. Mario’s been getting jerked around since he bought the Penguins out of bankruptcy, and enough is enough.

The Penguins cannot initiate negotiations w/other cities until after the season is over. Their lease w/Mellon Arena, of course, runs out following the 06-07 season. Here’s a little loophole, though…other cities can initiate negotiations w/the Penguins RIGHT NOW, and one option already on the table would see Boots Del Biagio buy the Pens and move them to fabulous Las Vegas. A deal hasn’t been finalized w/Boots, but it wouldn’t take long. Boots has the dough, and he’s ready to move.

Now, here’s a little lesson on lies and the lying liars who tell them. Question #1: Why is it taking so long to determine who gets the slots license? And I answer…because Rendell wants Mario to run out of patience and make his move first. Then Rendell can paint Mario the bad guy, even as he pays off the bribe the Station Square people made by way of a 175K campaign contribution by giving them the slots license.

Question #2: Won’t the Station Square people help build a new arena? See, this is where the con gets really intense. The Station Square people are gonna offer 100m for a new arena. The new arena is gonna cost about 250m. Mario could never raise and doesn’t have 250m. The Station Square people KNOW that. The Station Square people are offering 100m they know they will never, ever have to actually pay. It’s an empty gesture so Rendell can justify giving them the license, but they KNOW they get to keep everything.

Question #3: What about Mark Cuban, the savior of Pittsburgh sports? Won’t he step in? OF COURSE HE WON’T. Like the Station Square people, Cuban only offers what he knows he won’t have to pay. He asked to buy the Pirates when he knew they weren’t for sale. He would have bought 15 percent of the team to become part of the original Mario group…but only if that allowed him control the team, which is an offer Cuban knew…absolutely KNEW Mario would not accept. If Cuban really wanted the team, he could have bought it for almost nothing out of bankruptcy. Or for almost nothing during the strike. Cuban doesn’t want the Penguins, or the Pirates. He just wants good PR here in Pittsburgh, and he wants it for free.

The Penguins’ plan for the slots revenue includes putting $1 billion into re-developing the area where Mellon Arena is now. The Penguins’ plan would give EVERYTHING back to the community, all of the slots revenue, every single dime. How can that NOT BE the best plan for Pittsburgh? After all, that is the criteria, right? Whoever has the best plan for Pittsburgh gets the license. Well, gee, it turns out that isn’t the criteria at all. The criteria is, whoever BRIBED RENDELL gets the license. And it wasn’t Mario that bribed Rendell. It was the Station Square people.

I know I’m using the word “bribe” pretty cavalierly. But what else would you call the 175K the Station Square people gave Rendell? If Mario has the superior plan for the community, but the Station Square people get the slots license anyway, that 175K IS A BRIBE. Grab a dictionary if you don’t believe me.

More on this as it develops, but right now the odds of the Pens staying in PGH are 90-10 against. Somebody can always ride in on a white horse, but Mario has traditionally always owned the only white horse when it comes to the Penguins, and he’s keeping it in the barn this time. He’s had enough. One thing I CAN promise yinz, tho…this won’t happen easily. If the Penguins leave town, I intend to make sure they leave a trail of blood behind. And it won’t be mine, and it won’t be Mario’s. I made those who ran SMG literally weep the last time I waged a battle like this.

Welcome to my nightmare. I think you’re gonna like it. It wasn’t over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor.

POJO_Risin
12-12-2005, 08:21 PM
lmfao...

that's actually pretty fucking funny...

krcampbell
12-12-2005, 08:30 PM
I never liked Mark Madden. Most of my familiarity with the man was when he did terrible color commentary for WCW. But with that being said, he makes some decent points. If you take Madden's completely abrasive and brash attitude and combine it with a valid source, it can be pretty good stuff. This situation is just garbage, move the Pens and be done with it.

Va Beach VH Fan
12-12-2005, 09:32 PM
One thing I'll say about Madden, he's a hockey nut....

Some decent comments on P-burgh TV tonight by the new Mayor and County Executive...

We haven't heard even close to the last words of this yet....

WARF
12-12-2005, 09:35 PM
Don't feel bad Va... my marlins are gonna be moving too.

POJO_Risin
12-12-2005, 11:11 PM
Maybe the Marlins will move to Pittsburgh to play hockey...

NATEDOG001976
12-13-2005, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin
Maybe the Marlins will move to Pittsburgh to play hockey...

They might have a better team with the Marlins. Pittsburgh sucks this year...lol

Va Beach VH Fan
12-13-2005, 06:17 PM
And now the unofficial "better cover my ass" response from the City/County...

I'm telling ya, they ain't going anywhere...

http://kdka.com/topstories/local_story_347140405.html

Pittsburgh Hockey Crisis Averted?

Andy Sheehan
Reporting

(KDKA) PITTSBURGH Just days after Mario Lemieux struck fear in the hearts of Pittsburgh hockey fans, suggesting it may be too late to keep his team in town, KDKA Investigator Andy Sheehan has learned about a new deal that could keep the Pens here for a long time.

Under an "agreement of terms" reached yesterday with city and county leaders, the Penguins will get development rights to the current Mellon Arena site if the team can come up with $300 million to build a new arena.

As KDKA first reported two weeks ago, the Pens are actually close to naming a partner to apply for a slots license. As part of their application, this as yet unnamed partner will agree to use gambling proceeds to build a new arena for $300 million.

Pittsburgh's Sports and Exhibition Authority is expected to approve this agreement during a vote later this week; but ultimately, the deal depends on the Penguins' partner getting the slots license.

For now, though, sources tell KDKA that Lemieux is satisfied that progress is being made.