PDA

View Full Version : Al-ZARQAWI Was Captured By IRAQI Gov't Forces, Then Let Go

Nickdfresh
12-15-2005, 05:07 PM
Terror mastermind mistakenly released, official says
Iraqi official: Authorities didn't realize the prisoner was al-Zarqawi

Thursday, December 15, 2005; Posted: 4:18 p.m. EST (21:18 GMT)

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- Iraqi security forces caught the most wanted man in the country last year, but released him because they didn't know who he was, the Iraqi deputy minister of interior said Thursday.

Hussain Kamal confirmed that Abu Musab al-Zarqawi -- the al Qaeda in Iraq leader who has a $25 million bounty on his head -- was in custody at some point last year, but he wouldn't provide further details.

A U.S. official couldn't confirm the report, but said he wouldn't dismiss it.

"It is plausible," he said.
http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2005/WORLD/meast/12/15/zarqawi.captured/story.zarqawi.jpg
Thursday's news tops a list of reports of missed opportunities to capture the terrorist mastermind. An official said the military receives frequent reports of al-Zarqawi sightings, all of which are investigated.

In April, U.S. troops stormed a hospital in Ramadi based on credible intelligence that terrorists were hiding there, but no suspects were found, military officials said in early May.

A high-ranking Iraqi Army officer said there were rumors that al-Zarqawi was at the Ramadi medical center, and several groups affiliated with the al Qaeda operative issued statements saying the same.

Iraqi Lt. Gen. Nasser Abadi said Thursday that al-Zarqawi was taken to the hospital.

"When we got the news, we rushed there, but he was out of there," the general said.

Link (http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/meast/12/15/zarqawi.captured/index.html)

Hardrock69
12-15-2005, 06:34 PM
Fucking incompetent bastards.

:rolleyes:

ODShowtime
12-15-2005, 08:19 PM
I thought his type were supposed to blow themselves up upon threat of imminent capture.

Iraqi's are incompetent bastards either way. I'll believe it.

FORD
12-15-2005, 09:29 PM
How hard can it be to hold on to a fucking laptop?

Brillo
12-15-2005, 09:49 PM
Incompetent? Maybe

Intentional? Probably

It would not surprise me in the least if they knew exactly who he was and let him go anyway. We're not exactly "the good guys" over there, even to some of the people who are supposedly on our side.

Cathedral
12-15-2005, 10:21 PM
The journalist is a bit late with this story isn't he?
I remember when this happened "last year", it's old news.
A lot has changed since then and there is a good chance they actually didn't know who they had.

I am curious as to why it was interesting enough to post here though, it already having run its course -n- stuff..."last year".

Are we to the recycle point already?
man, time sure is flying these days.

DrMaddVibe
12-17-2005, 07:55 AM
I wish I had $100 bucks every time I saw a headline like this.