PDA

View Full Version : Senate Rejects Extension of Patriot Act

Hardrock69
12-16-2005, 01:01 PM
By JESSE J. HOLLAND, Associated Press Writer 10 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - The Senate on Friday rejected attempts to reauthorize several provisions of the USA Patriot Act as infringing too much on Americans' privacy and liberty, dealing a huge defeat to the Bush administration and Republican leaders.
ADVERTISEMENT

In a crucial vote early Friday, the bill's Senate supporters were not able to get the 60 votes needed to overcome a threatened filibuster by Sens. Russ Feingold, D-Wis., and Larry Craig, R-Idaho, and their allies. The final vote was 52-47.

President Bush, Attorney General Alberto Gonzales and Republicans congressional leaders had lobbied fiercely to make most of the expiring Patriot Act provisions permanent, and add new safeguards and expiration dates to the two most controversial parts: roving wiretaps and secret warrants for books, records and other items from businesses, hospitals and organizations such as libraries.

Feingold, Craig and other critics said that wasn't enough, and have called for the law to be extended in its present form so they can continue to try and add more civil liberties safeguards. But Bush, Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist and House Speaker
Dennis Hastert have said they won't accept a short-term extension of the law.

If a compromise is not reached, the 16 Patriot Act provisions expire on Dec. 31.

Frist changed his vote at the last moment after seeing the critics would win. He decided to vote with the prevailing side so he could call for a new vote at any time. He immediately objected to an offer of a short term extension from Democrats, saying the House won't approve it and the president won't sign it.

"We have more to fear from terrorism than we do from this Patriot Act," Frist warned.

If the Patriot Act provisions expire, Republicans say they will place the blame on Democrats in next year's midterm elections. "In the war on terror, we cannot afford to be without these vital tools for a single moment," White House press secretary Scott McClellan said. "The time for Democrats to stop standing in the way has come."

But the Patriot Act's critics got a boost from a New York Times report saying Bush authorized the National Security Agency to monitor the international phone calls and international e-mails of hundreds $B!=(B perhaps thousands $B!=(B of people inside the United States. Previously, the NSA typically limited its domestic surveillance to foreign embassies and missions and obtained court orders for such investigations.

"I don't want to hear again from the attorney general or anyone on this floor that this government has shown it can be trusted to use the power we give it with restraint and care," said Feingold, the only senator to vote against the Patriot Act in 2001.

"It is time to have some checks and balances in this country," shouted Sen. Patrick Leahy (news, bio, voting record), ranking Democrat on the Judiciary Committee. "We are more American for doing that."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051216/ap_on_go_co/patriot_act

FORD
12-16-2005, 01:38 PM
Fuck you cat killer, and fuck the "patriot act". Death to the BCE police state!!!

Nickdfresh
12-16-2005, 04:32 PM
They can shove their blanket National Security Letters up their collective asses!

Hardrock69
12-16-2005, 05:47 PM
HERE HERE!!!!
:cool:

Wayne L.
12-18-2005, 06:56 AM
Russ Feingold has beautiful feet.

Cathedral
12-18-2005, 04:07 PM
I recall being promised when it passed the first time that certain things would be corrected...but none of those corrections were made to date so i hope it dies completely.

This isn't a Conservative or Liberal victory, it is an American victory.

Don't take away my freedoms and liberties to fight terror, give me ammo and step the fuck aside, bitch.