PDA

View Full Version : Dr. MaddVibe's "Let's Pile On Air America As They Circle The Drain" Thread

rustoffa
04-01-2004, 12:35 PM
From the AJC.............
http://www.ajc.com/news/content/news/0404/01franken.html

By MARLON MANUEL
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 04/01/04

Comedian Al Franken, in his radio debut Wednesday as the self-proclaimed voice for liberals everywhere, pretended to lock Ann Coulter in a studio waiting room.

Comedian Al Franken's first radio show featured a sketch pretending to lock conservative commentator Ann Coulter, an obscure figure to most, in a waiting room.

If you don't think that's funny — or don't recognize Coulter as the political commentator who dismissed the heroism of Vietnam veteran Max Cleland and once said she regretted that Oklahoma City bomber Timothy McVeigh "did not go to the New York Times Building" — then you begin to understand why some doubt the show's chances for long-term success.

"There were some rough spots," said Michael Harrison, editor of Talkers magazine, a radio trade publication. "It sounded like a hodgepodge. I don't think that Ann Coulter is important enough a public figure to be relevant. They better have more than Ann Coulter jokes if they're going to be the self-anointed" voice for liberals.

In the first 30 minutes of his show, dubbed "The O'Franken Factor" in a jab at conservative Bill O'Reilly's "O'Reilly Factor" on Fox News, the former "Saturday Night Live" comedian also retreaded material skewering President Bush that he had used in recent weeks on "The Daily Show" ("By the time we get done with him, he won't be able to use anything from 9/11. The only footage he'll be able to use is him clearing brush.")

Trying to cross-pollinate the Comedy Central shtick with some DNA from National Public Radio, he conducted a phone interview with Al Gore and played host to 9/11 Commission member Bob Kerrey and moviemaker Michael Moore. Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-N.Y.) is scheduled for today.

Giving national Democratic figures an unfiltered voice, he emulated the role Rush Limbaugh has played for Republicans since 1988.

But Limbaugh has an estimated 14.5 million weekly listeners, while Franken's three-hour show, anchoring the lineup of the new Air America network, opened on fewer than 10 stations, including outlets in New York, Chicago, Los Angeles and Portland, Ore. It was unavailable in Atlanta except through the Internet or XM Satellite Radio.

Limbaugh had a guest host Wednesday and did not address Franken's debut.

Eric Seidel, former station manager for WGST, the Atlanta home for Limbaugh, didn't hear Franken's show but had read accounts of his efforts.

Seidel doubted the viability of the Air America network, since it seems more bent on changing the political philosophies of listeners than establishing a product that would enrich and entertain.

"It sounds like there was some entertainment," Seidel said. "But the comedy sounds trite when you see it in print."

Franken didn't hide his broader ambitions. As he introduced the show — "broadcasting from an underground bunker 3,500 feet below Dick Cheney's bunker" — his voice deepened, as though he were opening "War of the Worlds," Orson Welles' classic radioplay.

"Today is both an ending and a beginning. An end to the right-wing dominance of talk radio, a beginning of a battle for truth, a battle for justice, indeed, for America itself — not to be . . . grandiose."

FORD
04-01-2004, 12:52 PM
It's a great show. Hell, he even had Republicans calling in. Convicted Nixon criminal G. Gordon Liddy, for one.

Click on the link in my signature to listen.

Chong Li
04-01-2004, 12:59 PM
Wont last more than 15 months.

Roy Munson
04-01-2004, 01:23 PM
Stupid is as stupid does. :rolleyes:

FORD
04-01-2004, 02:38 PM
Everyone's favorite senator is on right now.

No, not Judas. The other one.

John Ashcroft
04-01-2004, 04:12 PM
McCain? no no, wait a minute... Hillary?

FORD
04-01-2004, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by John Ashcroft
McCain? no no, wait a minute... Hillary?

Yep. Didn't get to listen to much of her though.. too busy.

Oh well, no great loss. She probably just rattled off the usual DLC script.

ELVIS
04-01-2004, 05:32 PM
Too busy doing what.. work ??

FORD
04-01-2004, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
Too busy doing what.. work ??

Yeah, it happens now and then ;). Can't take a streaming audio feed around the building, unfortunately.

ELVIS
04-01-2004, 05:53 PM
The best radio today was Shawn Hannity pretending to be comming out of the closet as a liberal...:D

FORD
04-01-2004, 06:09 PM
The best radio today was Shawn Hannity pretending to be comming out of the closet as a liberal...:D

Yeah, right.

The day that happens will be the same day Junior passes an IQ test.

ELVIS
04-01-2004, 06:18 PM
A lot of callers believed it...:)

FORD
04-01-2004, 06:27 PM
A lot of callers believed it...:)

Proves how many brainwashed sheep follow the FAUX crowd :D

John Ashcroft
04-01-2004, 07:04 PM
So let me ask... Was there anything other than complaining on the maiden show?

FORD
04-01-2004, 07:49 PM
Maiden has a show on the network? Didn't hear that one yet, but it sounds like a cool idea.

UP THE IRONS RADIO!!:killer: :rockit2:

John Ashcroft
04-01-2004, 07:54 PM
Heh heh heh... Thought so.

Viking
04-01-2004, 08:04 PM
Hell, even the Atlanta Genital-Constipation trashed it. It's talk radio's euivalent of a partial-birth abortion. Heeheeheeheehahahahahahahahohohohohohohohahahahaha haha............... :D :D :D :D :D

rustoffa
04-01-2004, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Viking
Hell, even the Atlanta Genital-Constipation trashed it. It's talk radio's euivalent of a partial-birth abortion. Heeheeheeheehahahahahahahahohohohohohohohahahahaha haha............... :D :D :D :D :D

That's a good point. I'm surprised that piece went to print in that cage-liner.:elvis:

Lincoln
04-01-2004, 09:53 PM
Who can listen to Stuart Smalley for hours? I like kind of like listening to a cat caught in a trap.

Rubnose
04-01-2004, 10:38 PM
Al who?....

Raise your hand who gives a shit about the new Al Frankin Show.

Isn't this the same guy who couldn't make it as a Not Ready For Prime TIme Player?

Must be hard to match comedic wit and talent against the likes of Garret Morris.

Imagine the audacity of this wanna be.

Will last as long as the Chevy Chase late night show did. Then can right a book called "Al Frankin Is A Big Fat Irrelevent Political Commentator."

Cathedral
04-02-2004, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by Lincoln
Who can listen to Stuart Smalley for hours? I like kind of like listening to a cat caught in a trap.

Yeah, whoever designed the traps owes me a new wig, lol...

I think it's great that they have a format in which to depress...Now, when it fails they will possibly get the picture and adjust their party's platform.........

ELVIS
04-02-2004, 10:48 AM
It would be better as The Stuart Smalley Factor...

BigBadBrian
04-02-2004, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Rubnose

Will last as long as the Chevy Chase late night show did. Then can right a book called "Al Frankin Is A Big Fat Irrelevent Political Commentator."

Can I use that as the title for my new book? :D

Roy Munson
04-02-2004, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Rubnose
Al who?....

called "Al Frankin Is A Big Fat Irrelevent Political Commentator."

Fucking priceless! I love it!

ELVIS
04-05-2004, 08:04 AM
Man that network is lame!

I've been checking it out...

Ed Shultz is particularly lame.. I'm listening to him now...

Every show is gloom and doom liberal crap...

I haven't heard the Frankenstein Factor yet.. I can hardly wait...:rolleyes:

DrMaddVibe
09-13-2006, 03:44 PM
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/flash/flashloops-skeet.html

Nitro Express
09-13-2006, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by FORD
It's a great show. Hell, he even had Republicans calling in. Convicted Nixon criminal G. Gordon Liddy, for one.

Click on the link in my signature to listen.

G. Gordon Liddy and Al Franken have been friends for years. Gordo has had Al on his radio show sevral times over the years.

Franken is a funny guy and did a good job on SNL but radio is a tough market as our own Diamond Dave found out. Rush Limbaugh was a successful radio guy even before he started his conservative pollitical show. Love him or hate him, Rush knows how to run a radio show. He's good at it just like Howard Stern is.

FORD
09-13-2006, 08:48 PM
I can't believe I ever called it a great show... I guess that's how far Franken fell after his producer Catherine Lanpher (or however you spell it) quit the show.

DrMaddVibe
09-13-2006, 09:00 PM
Not the 1st time you've been wrong about character!

LoungeMachine
09-13-2006, 09:08 PM
I can't believe I ever called it a great show... .

It never was....

His shtick was terrible.

He's a good interviewer however.

But when the quality of your show is based on the level of your guests.....you're screwed.

Thom Hartmann and Mike Malloy don't need guests to be great.

Ot shtick for that matter.

FORD
09-13-2006, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
Not the 1st time you've been wrong about character!

Who said anything about character? My problem with Franken is the narcolespy inducing boredom of his show.

Granted, he is a bit of a shill for the DLC and AIPAC, but he's hardly an oxycontin inhaling zit on the ass draft dodging hypocrite like his daily competition.

Now THERE's a man with some serious character issues.

DrMaddVibe
09-13-2006, 10:12 PM
YOU listen to them...I DON'T!

FORD
09-14-2006, 12:36 AM
YOU listen to them...I DON'T!

I thought you were Mush's biggest fan?

In fact I heard rumors that you, Mush and Matt Drudge cruise the South Beach rave clubs looking for Clay Aiken lookalikes ;)

DrMaddVibe
09-14-2006, 08:25 AM
You're getting your news from nicker00 then. He stalks Aiken.

I don't listen to Rush or any other talking head to substantiate or form an opinion.

I feel sorry for the insipid minded fools that have to listen!

DEMON CUNT
09-14-2006, 08:36 AM
In fact I heard rumors that you, Mush and Matt Drudge cruise the South Beach rave clubs looking for Clay Aiken lookalikes ;)

You mean Ms.SaddBalls is queer?

No wonder he found those gay pics so stimulating!

DrMaddVibe
09-14-2006, 08:41 AM
Disgusted is more like it.

No need to get your hopes up for a date either, happily married with kids!

DEMON CUNT
09-14-2006, 08:42 AM

Faggot!

DrMaddVibe
09-14-2006, 09:12 AM
LMAO!

FORD
09-14-2006, 10:52 AM

You and your partner were able to adopt in Florida??

Congratulations!

Nickdfresh
09-14-2006, 01:52 PM
As long as American mIdol is still on the air, all will be "right" with Ms.AssVibe's little world.:D

Nickdfresh
09-14-2006, 01:55 PM
You're getting your news from nicker00 then. He stalks Aiken.

Ooooh! You sound like a jealous catty-bitch!

I don't listen to Rush or any other talking head to substantiate or form an opinion.

No, you just listen to American mIdol, like other closet homos.

I feel sorry for the insipid minded fools that have to listen!

LOL

http://randyslife.typepad.com/randys_life/2006/03/american_idol_t.html

DEMON CUNT
09-16-2006, 12:43 PM
LMAO!

Now I am laughing at how fucking wrong you were!!!!

You set yourself up for this one with multiple threads even! Pathetic!

Ha ha!

http://artfiles.art.com/images/-/Clay-Aiken-Photograph-C12145964.jpeg
"Don't worry MsSaddBalls, I still love you !" -- Clay

Nickdfresh
09-16-2006, 09:27 PM
LMFAO! BTW, AA never filed for bankruptcy, and they do actually have decent ratings for AM radio.

Oh my, what would Ms.QueerVibe's TV life be like without Bill O'Reilly and American Idol? I wonder which eh Tivos?

rustoffa
09-16-2006, 11:13 PM
I just wanna say.....as of right here tonight...more of my threads in The Front Line have been locked, changed or deleted....than the entire weekend in 2004 BAYBAYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!
:D