PDA

View Full Version : The Official West Wing Thread

LoungeMachine
12-17-2005, 01:28 AM
Updated: 11:02 PM EST
'West Wing' Actor John Spencer Dies at 58
Emmy Award Winner Suffers a Heart Attack
By LYNN ELBER, AP

NBCSpencer's 'West Wing' character Leo McGarry was making a run for the vice presidency this year.

John Spencer Dies at 58

LOS ANGELES (Dec. 16) - John Spencer, who played a tough and dedicated politico on "The West Wing" who survived a serious illness to run for vice president, died of a heart attack Friday. He was 58.

Spencer died after being admitted to a Los Angeles hospital during the night, said his publicist, Ron Hofmann. He would have been 59 on Tuesday.

He was "one of those rare combinations of divinely gifted and incredibly generous," said actor Richard Schiff, who played Toby Ziegler on the NBC series.

"There are very few personal treasures that you put in your knapsack to carry with you for the rest of your life, and he's one of those," Schiff said. He said Spencer had been struggling with health issues but seemed to have rebounded.

Spencer played Leo McGarry, the savvy and powerful chief of staff to President Josiah "Jed" Bartlet (Martin Sheen). In a sad parallel to life, Spencer's character suffered a heart attack that forced him to give up his White House job.

McGarry recovered and was picked as a running mate for Democratic presidential contender Matt Santos, played by Jimmy Smits; the campaign against Republican Arnold Vinick (Alan Alda) has been a central theme for the drama this season.

"John was an uncommonly good man, an exceptional role model and a brilliant actor," said Aaron Sorkin, who created the series, and Tommy Schlamme, one of the original executive producers, in a joint statement.

"We feel privileged to have known him and worked with him. He'll be missed and remembered every day by his many, many friends," they said.

Actress Allison Janney, C.J. Cregg on the series, described Spencer as a consummate professional actor. "Everyone adored him," she said.

''We're shocked and deeply saddened by the sudden death of our friend and colleague''

-- 'West Wing' creator Aaron Sorkin and former producer Tommy Schlamme

NBC and producer Warner Bros. Television praised Spencer's talent but did not address how his death would affect the Emmy Award-winning series, in production on its seventh season.

Spencer, who also starred on "L.A. Law" as attorney Tommy Mullaney, received an Emmy Award for his performance on "The West Wing" in 2002 and was nominated four other times for the series.

The actor, whose world-weary countenance was perfect for the role of McGarry, mirrored his character in several ways: Both were recovering alcoholics and both, Spencer once said, were driven.

"Like Leo, I've always been a workaholic, too," he told The Associated Press in a 2000 interview. "Through good times and bad, acting has been my escape, my joy, my nourishment. The drug for me, even better than alcohol, was acting."

Spencer grew up in Paterson, N.J., the son of blue-collar parents. With his enrollment at the Professional Children's School in Manhattan at age 16, he was sharing classes with the likes of Liza Minnelli and budding violinist Pinchas Zukerman.

As a teenager, he landed a recurring role on "The Patty Duke Show" as the boyfriend of English twin Cathy. Stage and film work followed. Then his big break: playing Harrison Ford's detective sidekick in the 1990 courtroom thriller "Presumed Innocent." That role led to his hiring for the final four years of "L.A. Law."

Spencer played a streetwise lawyer on the David E. Kelley drama that was in sharp contrast to the show's otherwise glamorous cast and setting.

After attending the Manhattan performing arts school, Spencer studied at Fairleigh Dickenson University. He then began working on stage in New York and in regional theaters, in plays including David Mamet's "Lakeboat" and Tennessee Williams' "The Glass Menagerie."

Spencer won an Obie Award for the 1981 off-Broadway production of "Still Life," about a Vietnam veteran, and received a Drama Desk nomination for "The Day Room."

His made his feature film debut with a small role in "War Games," which was followed by roles in "Sea of Love" and "Black Rain." Spencer said his work in "Presumed Innocent" represented a "watershed role."

In recent years, he worked both in studio and independent films, including "The Rock," "The Negotiator," "Albino Alligator," "Lesser Prophets" and "Cold Heart."

Spencer, an only child, is survived by "cousins, aunts, uncles, and wonderful friends," Hofmann said.

Associated Press Writer Jeremiah Marquez contributed to this report.

12/16/05 19:57 EST

LoungeMachine
12-17-2005, 01:30 AM
This just breaks my heart.

I loved the guy.

The show jumped the shark after season 4, but Leo's character was great.

John was also great on LA Law.

58. fuck.

damn. damn. damn.

Bob_R
12-18-2005, 03:55 PM
Rest in peace John :(

POJO_Risin
12-18-2005, 04:02 PM
I haven't watched West Wing...for whatever reason...until the past couple of seasons...

like the political process of an election...

and enjoyed watching him in particular...and his role was about to take off...as they were going to use him in the VP role...and have him helping Josh in the backround running the campaign...

I watched him on LA Law as well...and he was fucking great on that show...

I can't even begin to see how this is going to play out...

POJO_Risin
12-18-2005, 04:05 PM
RIP

Here he is winning his emmy...

http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/tv_pix/emmys/emmy_awards_2002_photos/john_spencer/emmy.jpg

LoungeMachine
12-19-2005, 05:56 PM
Tributes paid to West Wing actor

Spencer described acting as "my escape, my nourishment"
West Wing colleagues have paid tribute to actor John Spencer, who died of a heart attack in Los Angeles, just four days ahead of his 59th birthday.
Spencer was best known for his role as Leo McGarry, chief of staff to the US president on hit series The West Wing.

He was "one of those rare combinations of divinely gifted and incredibly generous," said co-star Richard Schiff, who played Toby Ziegler on the show.

Aaron Sorkin, creator of the political series called Spencer "brilliant".

"John was an uncommonly good man, an exceptional role model and a brilliant actor," said Mr Sorkin, in a joint statement with Tommy Schlamme, one of the original executive producers on the NBC show.

"We feel privileged to have known him and worked with him. He'll be missed and remembered every day by his many, many friends."

Everyone adored him

Actress Allison Janney

Executive producer John Wells added his own tribute: "John was a wonderful actor, a pleasure to work with and a true gentleman, but most important, a generous and gracious friend," he said in a statement.

The seventh series of the political drama is currently being shown in the United States.

"There are very few personal treasures that you put in your knapsack to carry with you for the rest of your life, and he's one of those," said Schiff, of his co-star Spencer.

Co-star Schiff (far right) called Spencer "divinely gifted"

Actress Allison Janney, who plays CJ Cregg on the series, described Spencer as a consummate professional actor. "Everyone adored him," she said.

"We have all lost a dear, dear brother," added co-star Bradley Whitford, who plays long-running character Josh Lynam.

Spencer, 58, one of the principal actors in the West Wing ensemble, was nominated as best supporting actor at the Emmy awards each year from 1999 to 2004, winning the award in 2002.

Admired for a string of performances on the big and small screen playing no-nonsense bureaucrats, he was Mr Sorkin's first choice to play Leo McGarry.

"I said to the casting director, 'We need someone like John Spencer'," Mr Sorkin recalled. "And the casting director said, 'What about John Spencer?' And I said, 'We will never get John Spencer'. "

Spencer played chief of staff to Martin Sheen's President Barlet

Spencer accepted the role and made it his own.

Both the character and the actor were recovering alcoholics with a passion for hard work.

Like Spencer, his on-screen persona suffered a heart attack in the fifth season of the show.

But in a cruel twist of fate Leo McGarry was to recover sufficiently to appear in the new series.

Health issues

Schiff said Spencer had been struggling with health issues, but appeared to have recovered. The actor died less than a day after he checked into a Los Angeles hospital with a bad cold, according to his publicist.

Spencer had already appeared in half of the 14 episodes of the current season. Filming was halted for the holidays, but the remaining episodes were scheduled to be shot in January.

Writers and producers for the series are expected to gather this week to decide how to continue, a studio spokeswoman said.

At its peak The West Wing - currently showing on More Four - was one of the US TV's most popular series, but the much-praised drama has struggled to maintain its place in the ratings.

It is already thought the current seventh season could be the show's finale.

Seshmeister
12-19-2005, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
This just breaks my heart.

I loved the guy.

The show jumped the shark after season 4, but Leo's character was great.

John was also great on LA Law.

58. fuck.

damn. damn. damn.

Spot on!

The WW is still watchable but it's definitely lost it's way a bit.

Spencer seemed to have played the same kind of character a lot but was always good. His character in Presumed Innocent or The Rock could have been the same guy as he played in LA Law. LA Law looks kind of dated and a little tacky now on cable reruns but I was a fan.

From IMDB.

Birth name
John Speshock

Mini biography
John was the only son of a lower middle-class family. His father, John Speshock, was a truck driver. His mother, Mildred, was a homemaker and an occasional waitress. He grew up near Paterson, New Jersey, but left at age 16 to attend the Professional Children's School. In 1963, he landed a recurring role on "The Patty Duke Show" (1963). After that ended, he attended Fairleigh Dickenson University and later New York University, but dropped out to return to acting. John had been an acknowledged alcoholic, who remained sober ever since getting therapy. He had quit smoking in 1999, which he described as "hell on earth".

Funny reading that because I always pictured him as a hard drinking smoking intelligent guy from a humble background and it came through in his work giving it veracity. There's not enough US actors around like him and he won't be easily replaced. His long term girlfriend was 60.

I'm glad he lived long enough to enjoy getting his Emmy.

RIP.

Cheers!

:gulp:

LoungeMachine
12-20-2005, 01:10 AM
Great post Sesh....

POJO_Risin
01-08-2006, 08:04 PM
Martin Sheen opened up the show today...with a brief tribute to John Spencer...and how they are going to honor his last weeks of work over the next couple of months...

Spencer opens the show getting ready for the VP debate...and Leo is struggling...

looks like at the very least...Spencer gets to shine at least once more before he died...

still pisses me off...

just picked up season 1 and 2 over the holidays...forgot just how good this show was...and still is...

LoungeMachine
01-08-2006, 08:12 PM
Looking forward to watching it tonight.

Check out all of the behind the scenes interviews and the like, Poj. Killer stuff.

POJO_Risin
01-08-2006, 08:55 PM
Yeah...the season 2 commentaries are pretty good...

This episode was fantastic...

Leo brings down the house...

Christ...I'm really curious to see how they handle this...

I was hoping they wouldn't end it this year...but I can't see it not being the last season...

intriguing what the series would be like with Jimmy Smits at the helm...

or Alan Alda for that matter...

No Sunday time slot though next year...with the NFL...

POJO_Risin
01-08-2006, 08:56 PM
Did Stephen Bochco take the show over?

Wondering how they got Smits...

LoungeMachine
01-08-2006, 09:51 PM
Show jumped the shark to me after Sorkin left [or there abouts]

I wanted Alda to win, and have 2-4 seasons of Republican White House storylines....

Rob Lowe leaving over $$$ had to be right up there with "all time worst career moves in TV LMMFAO

And I want to do Mary Louise Parker

Seshmeister
01-08-2006, 11:28 PM
I think we're about a dozen episodes behind over on this side of the pond but I watched it tonight and it really isn't what it was.

Tonights episode here was basically 90% about Bartlett not feeling too good and the ludicrous UK ambassador character appeared again who for a supposedly savy show is just a 30 year out of date joke.

LoungeMachine
01-09-2006, 08:57 AM
Oh, and Janel Maloney too....

humina humina

Seshmeister
01-09-2006, 10:06 AM
Indeed...

http://www.calabasasmag.com/images/Issue2/Janel_Maloney_02.jpg

Nickdfresh
01-09-2006, 10:11 AM
I' going to start watching....

LoungeMachine
03-17-2009, 02:12 PM
RON SILVER, 62
Award-Winning Actor Fought for Causes

. Actor Ron Silver has died in New York City after a two-year battle with esophageal cancer. The Creative Coalition Executive Director Robin Bronk says the 62-year-old, who co-founded the nonprofit, died peacefully in his sleep with his family around him early Sunday morning March 15, 2009. (AP Photo/Joe Cavaretta, File) (Joe Cavaretta - AP)

(By Chris Kleponis -- Bloomberg News)

By Adam Bernstein
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, March 16, 2009; Page B04

Ron Silver, 62, a Tony Award-winning actor who excelled in intense and unconventional roles, notably on film as Harvard legal scholar Alan Dershowitz in "Reversal of Fortune" and a Holocaust survivor balancing three wives in "Enemies: A Love Story," died March 15 of esophageal cancer in New York City.

Mr. Silver gained a reputation as a formidable political activist for liberal causes. He headed a major theatrical union in the 1990s and campaigned for several Democratic presidential contenders, including former senator Bill Bradley of New Jersey.

In 1989, he helped form the Creative Coalition, a group of liberal Democratic actor-activists including Susan Sarandon and Alec Baldwin who supported and testified before Congress about First Amendment rights, arts funding and public education.

"Basically I'm trying to be useful," he told the Los Angeles Times. "I've always thought involvement in public affairs is a legitimate use of celebrity. A celebrity's capacity for indignation is as great as any other citizen's, but our ability to find a forum for its expression is greater."

He startled many of his activist peers in 2004 by calling himself "a 9/11 Republican" and speaking at the Republican National Convention in New York City.

"If we don't get this right," he told the New York Times about the war on terror, "all the other things don't matter worth a hill of beans. I'll live to fight another day on health care, environmental concerns and sensible gun legislation."

As a performer, Mr. Silver was described as smoldering, expressive and brainy. In Hollywood, he was often cast in ethnic and offbeat roles, including as a union boss, in "Silkwood" (1983), and a psychopath, in "Blue Steel" (1990).

One of his meatiest roles was portraying Dershowitz in "Reversal of Fortune" (1990). In the film, Dershowitz, a champion of unpopular causes, agrees to handle the legal appeal of Claus von Bulow (Jeremy Irons), a slippery aristocrat who had been found guilty of trying to kill his wife with insulin.

"If Mr. Irons's Claus von Bulow gives the film its satiric tone," wrote New York Times film critic Vincent Canby, "Mr. Silver's Alan Dershowitz gives it its energy and its singularly tough, unsentimental conscience."

The same year, Washington Post film critic Desson Howe praised Mr. Silver's "desperate, harried vitality" in "Enemies: A Love Story," based on an Isaac Bashevis Singer novel about a Jew so traumatized by the Holocaust he finds himself unable to make decisions.

As Herman Broder, Mr. Silver drives himself into spiritual, emotional and financial bankruptcy married to three women simultaneously: the smothering peasant Yadwiga (Margaret Sophie Stein), the lusty and unstable Masha (Lena Olin) and the wry Tamara (Anjelica Huston).

The late 1980s and early 1990s marked Mr. Silver's career peak in Hollywood and Broadway. He had won the Tony for best actor as an unctuous movie producer in David Mamet's "Speed-the-Plow" (1988), a drama that also starred pop singer Madonna and Joe Mantegna.

continued at:
washingtonpost.com (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/03/15/AR2009031502408.html?hpid=entnews)

FORD
03-17-2009, 02:21 PM
Ron Silver became one of those raging neocon lunatics after 9-11-01, but I heard that he was drifting back towards reality in recent years. Hope he made it there, and let go of the hate before he passed.

RIP :(

Combat Ready
03-17-2009, 04:41 PM
Ron Silver....A good American. RIP.

Diamondjimi
03-17-2009, 05:12 PM
A fine actor ,R.I.P. !

Va Beach VH Fan
03-17-2009, 05:37 PM
Always liked Bruno on The WW.....

That's two now for that show, after Leo died a few years ago....

LoungeMachine
03-17-2009, 05:55 PM
John Spencer's passing is what shut down the show.

Although it had jumped the shark by season 7, it was still one of the best shows on TV.

Imagine if they had had Alan Alda's character won the election, and they had done a season with a Republican WW.

Ron's performances in that last season were great, too.

RIP Ron.

kwame k
03-17-2009, 08:12 PM
John Spencer's passing is what shut down the show.

Although it had jumped the shark by season 7, it was still one of the best shows on TV.

Imagine if they had had Alan Alda's character won the election, and they had done a season with a Republican WW.

Ron's performances in that last season were great, too.

RIP Ron.

Agreed, one of my all time favorite shows. Ron's character on the show the no bullshit political Svengali was raw and spot on.

chefcraig
03-17-2009, 10:40 PM

Honestly, I would have enjoyed seeing the Jimmy Smits portrayal of the at times naive Santos character dealing with a Republican congress. With Alda working in the acting mix, the show could have had legs. Truthfully though, the "wonder years" of the Bartlet Administration having past, the emotional core of the show would need to be rebuilt, and it is highly unlikely that lightning could strike twice. Two words: After-M.A.S.H. http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/smileys/free-ashamed-smileys-721.gif (http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/)

To Bruno: Wherever you are, I'm certain that you are shaking your head and rolling your eyes at the daily/weekly polls. Good for you man, and thanks. RIP.

Va Beach VH Fan
03-17-2009, 11:06 PM
We should have a WW thread.... :D

My biggest regret ?? Not enough Mallory !!! What a gorgeous redhead !!

LoungeMachine
03-18-2009, 12:07 AM
Pojo and I pretty much had one going when John Spencer died.

I'm going to dig it up.

Mallory? yes.

Donna's sweaters/blouses? oh hell yes.

LoungeMachine
03-18-2009, 12:12 AM
Bump for Bruno

LoungeMachine
03-18-2009, 12:17 AM
Just bumped the John Spencer RIP Thread....

Both this thread, as well as that one..... went to which characters we wanted to bang within the first page.

What is wrong with us?

Actually, Bruno wouldn't have had it any other way. :gulp:

LoungeMachine
03-18-2009, 12:18 AM
And anyone who doesn't own the complete set of 7 seasons [6-1/2 really] on DVD, go buy it. Trust me.

LoungeMachine
03-18-2009, 12:21 AM
Honestly, I would have enjoyed seeing the Jimmy Smits portrayal of the at times naive Santos character dealing with a Republican congress.

No, see, 2 terms was enough of the Dem WW.

The way the show "could" have been re-born, was for the antagonists to come to power, and the protagonists struggle to keep the mean RePukes from dismantling all of their hard work.

Sam and Will make it to congress, Josh becomes the majority leader's COS, because the Dems retook both houses, but just barely.

and Donna goes on to model for Hustler. :gulp:

chefcraig
03-18-2009, 12:34 AM
No, see, 2 terms was enough of the Dem WW.

The way the show "could" have been re-born, was for the antagonists to come to power, and the protagonists struggle to keep the mean RePukes from dismantling all of their hard work.

Sam and Will make it to congress, Josh becomes the majority leader's COS, because the Dems retook both houses, but just barely.

and Donna goes on to model for Hustler. :gulp:

Yeah, yeah, solid points...yet if Mary-Louise Parker came back as some form of anything, I'd watch regardless.

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/2832/aml.jpg (http://img16.imageshack.us/my.php?image=aml.jpg)

Va Beach VH Fan
03-18-2009, 07:30 AM
Yeah, yeah, solid points...yet if Mary-Louise Parker came back as some form of anything, I'd watch regardless.

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/2832/aml.jpg (http://img16.imageshack.us/my.php?image=aml.jpg)

Absolutely, sexy little tramp..... :D

Va Beach VH Fan
03-18-2009, 07:32 AM
Just bumped the John Spencer RIP Thread....

Both this thread, as well as that one..... went to which characters we wanted to bang within the first page.

What is wrong with us?

Actually, Bruno wouldn't have had it any other way. :gulp:

I should be able to merge them, I have the technology...

Shit, Bruno was a bigger whore than both of us combined, what are you talking about !!!

Remember the skank he brought into the Repukes campaign HQ on Election night ??

Va Beach VH Fan
03-18-2009, 07:42 AM
There we go...

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k55/ferr3816/allisonsmith.jpg

LoungeMachine
03-18-2009, 09:50 AM
Sam Seborn was a pussy for never having tapped that.

And yes, I always related to Bruno on many levels.....

Va Beach VH Fan
03-18-2009, 08:40 PM
OK, Topic #1: Worst Writing Decision

VA's answer: Promoting CJ to Chief of Staff after Leo's (1st) heart attack....

What a completely unrealistic scenario......

LoungeMachine
03-18-2009, 10:09 PM
OK, Topic #1: Worst Writing Decision

VA's answer: Promoting CJ to Chief of Staff after Leo's (1st) heart attack....

What a completely unrealistic scenario......

Agreed.

Worst episodes?

CJ goes home to take care of dad, the PBS "access" docudrama following CJ

Also, the "live" debate in season 7 is unwatchable.

LoungeMachine
03-18-2009, 10:11 PM
And I wish they had kept Joe Quincy around for more episodes.

I wish they hadn't written John Hoynes out, either.

I could go on for about 99 pages with this stuff. :D

Seshmeister
03-18-2009, 10:25 PM
I still haven't seen the 7th series.

Catching a rerun starting next week.

LoungeMachine
03-18-2009, 11:28 PM
I still haven't seen the 7th series.

Catching a rerun starting next week.

7th season is by far the weakest.

But it's still better than 99% of the other crap on that idiot box.

When I go back every year and re-watch the entire series starting with the pilot, I skip through many season 7 episodes.

And no special features dedicated to John Spencer? WTF?

You're going to find yourself sighing, and rolling your eyes 2-3 times per episode.

Highlights? The Return of Bruno. The Return of Sam. Alan Alda's character.

Va Beach VH Fan
03-19-2009, 08:40 AM
You're going to find yourself sighing, and rolling your eyes 2-3 times per episode.

And don't forget Donna finally getting boinked....

Did you notice how they finally dolled her up in the last season ?? She looked like a great kisser....

Va Beach VH Fan
03-19-2009, 08:47 AM
Agreed.

Worst episodes?

CJ goes home to take care of dad, the PBS "access" docudrama following CJ

Also, the "live" debate in season 7 is unwatchable.

I initially thought you were talking about when she returned for her high school reunion and banged Matthew Bodine...

Yeah, I really think they focused a little too much on her.... WTF was up with her doing "The Jackal" ??

I can't complain about that for Worst Episode....

Seshmeister
03-19-2009, 09:43 AM
When I go back every year and re-watch the entire series starting with the pilot, I skip through many season 7 episodes.

What's that 130 hours of TV?

You're not exactly rushed off your feet, super busy are you Lounge. :)

LoungeMachine
03-19-2009, 10:41 AM
What's that 130 hours of TV?

You're not exactly rushed off your feet, super busy are you Lounge. :)

Nope.

And chronic insomnia. :D

Thing is, except for news, I really dont watch ANY TV anymore.

But taking 90 minutes to watch 2 commercial-free episodes on DVD is nice.

I like having 700 movies, and all my favorite old TV shows on DVD. It's like being a network programmer for The Lounge Network.

LoungeMachine
03-19-2009, 10:43 AM
And don't forget Donna finally getting boinked....

Did you notice how they finally dolled her up in the last season ?? She looked like a great kisser....

That slut got boinked plenty, just not by Josh.

Cliff Calley, Jack Reece, me......

LoungeMachine
03-19-2009, 10:44 AM
I initially thought you were talking about when she returned for her high school reunion and banged Matthew Bodine...

ugh.

Unwatchable.

Speaking of the WW Skanks, how about Ginger?

Va Beach VH Fan
03-19-2009, 10:51 AM
ugh.

Unwatchable.

Speaking of the WW Skanks, how about Ginger?

Yes, Jersey girl, another hot redhead....

And don't forget, good 'ol Rizzo had her days as well.....

LoungeMachine
03-19-2009, 11:19 AM
Back in the day Stockard was a looker....

Remember Alex, from NASA? Christine Chen? :baaa:

Watch the episode sometime in Amy's aprtment when she's on the kitchen counter singing to Van Morrison. Bottom of her feet are BLACK. :lol:

chefcraig
03-19-2009, 11:36 AM
Suprised the crap out of me when I recently realized Seaborn's hooker girlfriend was played by Lisa Edelstein, who currently plays Dr. Lisa Cuddy on House.

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/8060/425house111808.jpg (http://img14.imageshack.us/my.php?image=425house111808.jpg)

LoungeMachine
03-19-2009, 12:28 PM
Wife loves that show, tried to get me into it.

I dont have it in me to invest in another series.

Never saw the attraction in "Laurie the callgirl"

Va Beach VH Fan
03-19-2009, 02:28 PM
Remember Alex, from NASA? Christine Chen? :baaa:

I thought Josh was gonna nail that....

LoungeMachine
03-19-2009, 02:34 PM
I thought Josh was gonna nail that....

Josh was a homo in my book for not

day-um.

kwame k
03-19-2009, 07:04 PM
Josh was a homo in my book for not

day-um.

Not only was Josh a homo but I blame Bradley Whitford for not demanding his character gets to bang her.

Va Beach VH Fan
03-19-2009, 08:40 PM
I Tivo all the shows on Bravo...

Just watched the Indonesian president episode (you know we're having salmon ?), when the hurricane hits and they try to make it out like the Navy wouldn't know that it shifted course....Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight......

And Sam tells Lori, "I'll give ya $10,000 if you don't go home with that guy tonight"...

Now THAT's pussy whipped....

Seshmeister
03-19-2009, 09:23 PM
Not only was Josh a homo but I blame Bradley Whitford for not demanding his character gets to bang her.

Plus that hellish Armageddon song... :)

Va Beach VH Fan
03-21-2009, 07:27 PM
A couple of things that kinda bugged me, if I may....

The West Wing, in the ~50 times that I had to go there, was NEVER that busy.... More times than not, the place was sparse....

I always laughed at the visitors that somehow were "in the lobby".... Lemme tell you, I was fully accredited, had a super high security clearance, and EVERY TIME I went there, in full dress uniform, the Secret Service treated me like I was Oswald's brother... You don't just walk into the White House....

Also didn't agree with the press conference with every little thing that happened in the world....

I'll think of more later....

Va Beach VH Fan
03-27-2009, 10:05 PM
And another thing....

Just when does Toby boink Andy to get her preggers with twins ??

chefcraig
03-27-2009, 10:14 PM
Maybe she bribed him with pie during an afternoon lunch?

Va Beach VH Fan
03-27-2009, 10:29 PM
I just watched that one today !!!

Seshmeister
03-29-2009, 08:05 PM
A couple of things that kinda bugged me, if I may....

The West Wing, in the ~50 times that I had to go there, was NEVER that busy.... More times than not, the place was sparse....

What I don't understand is that you were at the White House 50 times yet you never got Hagar banned, executed or deported?

Va Beach VH Fan
03-29-2009, 08:14 PM
It was during the first Bush administration, you know those fags were Hagar fans....

Seshmeister
03-29-2009, 08:16 PM
But surely you could just have picked up a deportation form and filled it in yourself... :)

Seshmeister
03-29-2009, 08:23 PM
Wife loves that show, tried to get me into it.

I dont have it in me to invest in another series.

I know how you feel, I've had 24 and The Wire DVD box sets sitting looking at me for months now. I've never watched a single episode of either yet. I've been using the 'it supports torture' argument about 24 as an excuse not to start it but the truth is I'm not sure I can face taking on 100 hours of TV. Same with The Wire which everyone tells me is incredible.

You really should try House though, the first couple of series are great and it's easy enough to drop in and out of.

LoungeMachine
03-30-2009, 05:14 AM
I have seen 1/3-1/2 of a couple of episodes, and the guy is a riot, I'll admit.

But some of it reallllyyy stretched the credibility scale to me, unless all of the "patients" had the most incredible insurance known to humankind, based on the way 3-4 MD's tackled that week's mystery.

But I like the main character. I can relate to his humor. :D

ELVIS
03-31-2009, 03:00 PM
This is a sticky ??

You assholes should unstick all of this bullshit and let the threads stand for themselves...

:pullinghair:

LoungeMachine
03-31-2009, 03:05 PM
Mod your own forum, dickstick.

ELVIS
03-31-2009, 03:07 PM
It's a fucking TV show that only pussies like yourself masterbate to...

LoungeMachine
03-31-2009, 03:12 PM
It's a fucking TV show that only pussies like yourself masterbate to...

Wow. That was intelligent.

Here's a thought: Stay out of the thread, dumbass.

If it were Hee Haw I'm sure you'd have no issue with it.

Go back on your meds, or STFU

Not your forum.

ELVIS
03-31-2009, 03:16 PM
Shut the fuck up...

LoungeMachine
03-31-2009, 03:19 PM
Shut the fuck up...

Go to hell.

You're in MY thread, you fucking idiot.

I didnt ask you to post here.

I dont know what your fucking problem is today, but dont take your shit out on me, asshole.

WTF is so wrong with your life right now, that you feel the need to act like such a whiney cunt today? huh?

Leave the thread alone. Some of us like it.

Oh, and Go To Hell.

asshole

Seshmeister
05-10-2009, 10:07 PM
7th season is by far the weakest.

Well you were right, it jumps the shark big time.

I'm starting to get tired of this. Last weeks on the reruns here was the debate which was pointless shit and this week just bored me. If the 1st couple of series had been anything like this one I would never have stuck with it.

Va Beach VH Fan
05-10-2009, 10:13 PM
Yeah, but Helen's hot.... :D

LoungeMachine
05-10-2009, 10:13 PM
The "live" debate episode is terrible

Absolutely unwatchable.

It's one of 3 I skip past when watching the seasons on DVD.

The other two being when CJ goes home and hooks up with Matthew Modine, and the Faux-Frontline PBS "documentary"

Hang in there though, as there IS a great sub-plot involving Toby and NASA and the leaking of classified info that gets very good.

The real problem with the series, other than Tommy and Aaron leaving, was that by season 6 it no longer was about the west wing. It became about presidential politics, and Josh finally banging Donna.

LoungeMachine
05-10-2009, 10:17 PM
Yeah, but Helen's hot.... :D

She was when she had the Farrah hair going on, but when she put it up in a bun she lost all hotness.

I do love the Janeane Garafolo character, and having Bruno switch to the Vinick campaign was brilliant.

Oh, and the mom from Home Improvement? Major Milf-Hot.

kwame k
05-10-2009, 10:19 PM
Hang in there though, as there IS a great sub-plot involving Toby and NASA and the leaking of classified info that gets very good.

It gets better and you're right about the sub-plot, interesting twist and moral dilemma.

houseofpain
05-10-2009, 11:47 PM
I'm going to give you peeps three guesses (and the first 2 don't count) what my four year old daughter's name is, and how we came up with the name.

I'll give you two hints...1) this show 2) she was a leggy blonde republican speaking in iambic pentameter and she owned Rob Lowe's ass...

houseofpain
05-10-2009, 11:50 PM
just in case you were wondering, "gee, crime. That's a tough one Mr. President," is when I decided to kick your ass!

Favorite TV lines ever.
Who can forget "any unidentified aircraft gets one warning, and I don't care if my mother's on that plane, going to see her mother, they get one warning and then we shoot it down."

Seshmeister
05-11-2009, 12:10 AM
No spoilers please but I have some major problems with all of this series. Maybe I missed something but there didn't seem to be a huge explanation on how the fuck anyone would ever consider in a million years having Leo the alcoholic barely alive after a heart attack non politician as the VP candidate. Then to have the fact he is an alcoholic barely alive after a heart attack non politician as a damaging factor to the Smit election campaign well big fucking duh...

Also again I may not have been concentrating but the Toby leak didn't seem to make much sense either.

Seshmeister
05-11-2009, 12:12 AM
The "live" debate episode is terrible

Absolutely unwatchable.

Did Alda lose it at the start or was that deliberate?

kwame k
05-11-2009, 12:19 AM
The only thing I'll say about the Toby thing is.........what was his true motivation behind the leak?

Seshmeister
05-11-2009, 05:33 AM
Have any of you seen the UK equivalent of the West Wing 'The Thick of It' yet? They've made a movie version now called 'In the Loop.'

Unmissable.

The Scottish equivalents of Josh and Toby are a bit more direct... :D

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wa3eoMnMC80&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wa3eoMnMC80&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XBW7dCvmMxI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XBW7dCvmMxI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Va Beach VH Fan
05-11-2009, 08:34 AM
I'm going to give you peeps three guesses (and the first 2 don't count) what my four year old daughter's name is, and how we came up with the name.

I'll give you two hints...1) this show 2) she was a leggy blonde republican speaking in iambic pentameter and she owned Rob Lowe's ass...

Oooh, I like her.... Doing her Joey Heatherton act in the basement....

LoungeMachine
05-11-2009, 09:32 AM
You mean the steam pipe trunk distribution venue?

houseofpain
05-11-2009, 09:43 AM
No spoilers please but I have some major problems with all of this series. Maybe I missed something but there didn't seem to be a huge explanation on how the fuck anyone would ever consider in a million years having Leo the alcoholic barely alive after a heart attack non politician as the VP candidate. Then to have the fact he is an alcoholic barely alive after a heart attack non politician as a damaging factor to the Smit election campaign well big fucking duh...

Also again I may not have been concentrating but the Toby leak didn't seem to make much sense either.

You didn't miss anything. Americans love the story of a comeback, they love the underdog, and they love redemption. Leo is all of those. They also love when somebody serves from the sidelines, then steps up to a figurehead office. That was Leo as well.

The Toby leak made perfect sense to me. He had a brother that was an astronaut, this affected his brother, and nobody would listen to him...

The episode where President Bartlet invokes the 25th is probably my favorite. The close to the Pilot is great too. "The first commandment, honor your father and mother. Its not the first commandment...she's calling us New York Jews Josh...being from Connecticut, I didn't really mind...they need to get their commandments right...that's not the first commandment? Okay, then what is? I Am the Lord your God, though shalt have no other gods before me...Mr. Presdient...Sorkin was brilliant

houseofpain
05-11-2009, 09:44 AM
Oooh, I like her.... Doing her Joey Heatherton act in the basement....

Ainsley Hayes...she owned Seaborn's ass!

Seshmeister
05-11-2009, 10:51 AM
aka Emily Procter.

http://www.hogrockcafe.com/Emily&#37;20Procter%20Nude%201%20-%20Breast%20Men.jpg

She's 40...

Va Beach VH Fan
03-06-2012, 09:04 PM
I miss my West Wing episodes during lunch....

One of my favorite scenes....

LoungeMachine
03-06-2012, 09:24 PM
I have all 7 Seasons on DVD with all the extras and commentaries and behind the scene stuff, Va.....if you want them.

My girl just bought me the Deluxe Boxed Set

Seshmeister
03-07-2012, 11:14 AM
The only thing I'll say about the Toby thing is.........what was his true motivation behind the leak?

There wasn't one really, it was shitty bit of writing.

That's what the actor said anyway, he hated that plot line.

Va Beach VH Fan
03-08-2012, 02:51 PM
I have all 7 Seasons on DVD with all the extras and commentaries and behind the scene stuff, Va.....if you want them.

My girl just bought me the Deluxe Boxed Set

You've been telling me that for, like, 5 years, you bastard !! ;)

Va Beach VH Fan
03-08-2012, 02:58 PM
I just love how this series mirrored the politics of today.....

Va Beach VH Fan
03-08-2012, 02:59 PM
Another favorite....

LoungeMachine
03-08-2012, 03:02 PM
You've been telling me that for, like, 5 years, you bastard !! ;)

And you've never sent me your addy, retard

Or should I just send it IN CARE OF to your local bar?

Va Beach VH Fan
03-08-2012, 03:07 PM
And you've never sent me your addy, retard

Or should I just send it IN CARE OF to your local bar?

Oh, so you now have two box sets ??

Well, shit, PM to follow....

chefcraig
03-08-2012, 03:10 PM
If only real life mirrored fiction. Wouldn't you want this direct line of kind of honesty and rational thought from a Presidential candidate?

At a Q&A in Nashua, NH; a dairy farmer complained that Bartlett voted against a bill that hurt the farmer's pocketbook "to the tune" of 10 cents a gallon.

President Josiah Bartlet: Yeah, I screwed you on that one.
Questioner #2: I'm sorry?
President Josiah Bartlet: I screwed you. You got hosed.
Questioner #2: Sir, I...
President Josiah Bartlet: And not just you. A lot of my constituents. I put the hammer to farms in Concord, Salem, Laconia, Pelham, Hampton, Hudson. You guys got rogered but good. Today for the first time in history, the largest group of Americans living in poverty are children. 1 in 5 children live in the most abject, dangerous, hopeless, back-breaking, gut-wrenching poverty any of us could imagine. 1 in 5, and they're children. If fidelity to freedom of democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received. Let me put it this way: I voted against the bill because I didn't want to make it harder for people to buy milk. I stopped some money from flowing into your pocket. If that angers you, if you resent me, I completely respect that. But if you expect anything different from the President of the United States, you should vote for someone else.

From "The West Wing" In the Shadow of Two Gunmen: Part I (2000)

Va Beach VH Fan
03-08-2012, 03:11 PM
If only real life mirrored fiction. Wouldn't you want this direct line of kind of honesty and rational thought from a Presidential candidate?

At a Q&A in Nashua, NH; a dairy farmer complained that Bartlett voted against a bill that hurt the farmer's pocketbook "to the tune" of 10 cents a gallon.

President Josiah Bartlet: And not just you. A lot of my constituents. I put the hammer to farms in Concord, Salem, Laconia, Pelham, Hampton, Hudson. You guys got rogered but good. Today for the first time in history, the largest group of Americans living in poverty are children. 1 in 5 children live in the most abject, dangerous, hopeless, back-breaking, gut-wrenching poverty any of us could imagine. 1 in 5, and they're children. If fidelity to freedom of democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received. Let me put it this way: I voted against the bill because I didn't want to make it harder for people to buy milk. I stopped some money from flowing into your pocket. If that angers you, if you resent me, I completely respect that. But if you expect anything different from the President of the United States, you should vote for someone else.

And then he fired all of his staff except for Toby...

I could do this all night... :D

LoungeMachine
03-08-2012, 03:47 PM
I love the scene with Toby and the old drunk woman in the bar before the speech.....

LoungeMachine
03-08-2012, 03:59 PM

Not sure where you got this, Craig....but they got it wrong.

Bartlet wasn't president when he gave that speech...

chefcraig
03-08-2012, 04:29 PM
Not sure where you got this, Craig....but they got it wrong.

Bartlet wasn't president when he gave that speech...

Ya know, I didn't even notice that when I cut and pasted it, but you are correct. In fact, I even mentioned at the beginning that Bartlet was a candidate when he made the commentary. See what happens when I post from work? :doh:

Va Beach VH Fan
05-02-2012, 10:33 AM
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Walk & Talk - The West Wing Reunion from Martin Sheen

Va Beach VH Fan
06-02-2012, 08:53 PM
I see Mrs. Landingham died in real life...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/02/kathryn-joosten-desperate-housewives-dead_n_1565040.html

Seshmeister
06-03-2012, 06:10 AM
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Walk & Talk - The West Wing Reunion from Martin Sheen

Americans have got so fat and lazy you now need to advertise walking?

Va Beach VH Fan
06-03-2012, 09:24 AM
Unfortunately, yes....

Va Beach VH Fan
09-20-2012, 01:57 PM
Damn I miss these guys....

Va Beach VH Fan
09-20-2012, 01:57 PM
By the way Lounge, I'm still waiting.... :D

Va Beach VH Fan
11-01-2012, 12:52 PM
Toby with a great article....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/richard-schiff/obama-inauguration_b_2056289.html?utm_hp_ref=tw

Marine One
Posted: 11/01/2012 8:50 am

Richard Schiff - Actor, Screen Actor’s Guild Member

My fingers hurt. My toes. My nose red and running. My ears passed pain. My arm around my wife. We walked away from our seats muttering about warmth and where to find it. This was fun. Let's get out of here.

Inauguration Day, Washington, D.C., the Capitol steps, 2009.

We walked by some people straggling behind. Not moving. Cardboard, placards literature laying about. A breeze moving things, hordes of people, somewhere warmer. But these people, these few people, stayed. Unbothered by elements and that gene like birds have that make us want to follow the more formidable mass. These people stayed. Waiting for some thing more than the great evidence of speech and song and universal cheering, tears. What more can there be? A half a million screaming, crying, shivering Americans and huge screens showing this man, this most unlikely citizen, swearing on a book that he will faithfully preserve, protect, defend and uphold our sacred document. Bands played. The man himself made a great speech. Ella sang for god's sake. Couples, strangers hugged, celebrated and made for the buses. But not these frozen few. They just stayed, actually staring at the screen. Some looking high up towards the Capitol Dome. What else could there be?

"What are you waiting for?" I thought I would just ask.

"The chopper," said one.

"The ex-President," said a woman next to him.

"Bush," said another with a hard look towards me like I should know.

"Marine One," said a kinder soul. "We're waiting for Marine One. It'll be coming up there. Rising above the dome any minute."

"Oh," I said.

She went on: "Just proof. I want proof. I want to see that son of a bitch haul his ass out a here. That's how they go. The old first couple is escorted by the incoming first couple and shove them into Marine One and off they go. See ya."

She looked back at the dome. So did every one else. Everyone who was still there.

"Proof."

I am not an Obama fanatic. I did not favor a surge in Afghanistan; didn't support the nature of the financials bailouts; wanted universal health coverage; wanted proper prosecution of the thieves of Wall Street, believe the war on drugs must end yesterday.

But here, now, just shy of four years later I can look back and I can have respect for this man. He said he was going to bail out Detroit and he did; he said he was going to pass the stimulus package to stave off loss of jobs and rebuild infrastructure and he did; He said he was going to surge in Afghanistan to facilitate a later winding down of that war and he did; He said he was going to end the inane war in Iraq and he did. He passed Obamacare like he said he would. He reversed the loss of job growth trend like he said he would. He extended unemployment benefits and helped folks keep their homes like he said he would. And on and on it goes.

In the more freezing cold, the unbearable bone chilling cold, I stood, unmoving, looking too at the dome. My wife beside me. Looking up. Listening. I hadn't cried today. I was among the few. I was glad to be there. Excited. Glad to witness history. I felt sad for this man who is now president. This man, whose most likely greatest achievement in his life he has probably already accomplished.

I looked up. Tears, but only from the wind that physically hurt my eyes. This dome. I remember someone saying... a tour guide? a Capitol policeman? A congressman? I remember someone saying:

"This is your building. You own it. You decide who can have an office in there and you can decide to kick 'em out."

"Same with the white one down the block. Yours. You're the landlord. You rent to who you want to rent. YOU own it."

I heard a rumble. Felt a stir. Some people got up off the ground, up from chairs. Those leaning straightened, looked straight up. On the big TV screen I saw two couples now on the other side of the Capitol walking towards the chopper, Marine One. They stopped, tilted heads away from the running blades. One couple patting the other, shaking hands and sharing hugs. Very formally acted out as to let us know that this is how we do things here. Good mannered, the way we move power from one man's hands to another. A marine saluted and the doors shut. No wasted time, the chopper headed upwards out of the screen's view. But like a well executed film edit the thing, the chopper in full voice, escaped above the dome in full sight, in real time, straight up above it. It was then, just then that I was attacked by something deep in my chest. It could have been the icy wind kicked up by this flying thing cutting through to the bone. The phrase "Long live the King," flew through my mind. And I realized then that coronations, inaugurations, they are funerals first, aren't they? Someone's gotta go for this to be happening. Just then in my chest, something. And I started to cry. I, the only one it seemed who'd risen above such easy display all day. What is this? I cried, trying to hide now audible sobs, sounds grotesque. Stop! My wife looked over confused. No more than I. Stop! I couldn't.

This takes a while to figure out, this stuff. If you asked me then and there as my wife delicately did, I'd have nothing for you. No answer. Dunno. It was like I had done something wrong. I was ashamed. I had that feeling of failure that surrounds you and swallows you whole, makes you less a man. Shame.

In eight years we had lost ourselves as a people. I'm thinking this to myself. I think in big sentences sometimes. Ignore it. We have caused the death of hundreds of millions of Arabs for reasons I can't get my head around. Thousands of American servicemen and women. Tens of thousands of life altering wounds both physical and psychological, spiritual. We entered into another war which just twenty years earlier brought down an empire by being as stupid. We have bankrupted our treasury with these wars and the inane war on drugs while aiding and abetting Wall Street's theft of our savings and our homes. We have been systematically killing arts in our culture and in our schools while supporting windfall profits and tax breaks for the oil and war cartels. Big sentences. Ignore it. I'll take responsibility. My fault.

I now know the thing that happens to children that is unthinkable. They think it's their fault. They shoulda done this; avoided; run; attack; something. I shoulda done something.

I almost voted for Nader in 2000. I thought it really didn't matter. They're all the same. Now when I come across that indifference I get a little charged up: "If the other guy won? We would never have been in Iraq; we'd have invested in alternative energy and been leading the world market in the next difference making industry; we would not have continued the systematic destruction of the middle class, a half million people (or whatever the grotesque number!) in Iraq would still be alive..."

Our president has helped alter a force of nature. An economic tsunami that was poised to wipe us out. Response is everything. Just this past week as we hunker down in New York and all points here in the east we see a difference maker; a builder of castles unwilling to do any other thing than yield just momentarily to the storms but then roll 'em up and get to work. To work.

Slowly, methodically if need be.

How long does it take to destroy a sand castle? And then how long to build it back up?

The helicopter, as only it can do, spun left and rocketed toward the Potomac, one last pass over the Oval office where so much had been undone. I fixed my eyes on the chopper. Stayed fixed to that as if it should bring me relief from whatever this was. No help. But fixed I stayed on it as it withdrew, became small, until the dot, the spec that was left was no longer there. Shame. It's visible only while you look at it. But it's always there.

I shudder to think what will happen if this president does not retain the lease to our Oval Office. This challenger is better at stomping on sand castles, enjoys it, finds the fun. He is more sophisticated, a better practiced version of what we last saw flying in a dot over the Potomac. He is against everything that I am for. Leave that dust alone. Avoid! Run! Attack!

Wait. Wait one moment. That building is ours. We own it. We the lessor, we renew the lease. We do.

Your keys, Mr. President.

LoungeMachine
11-01-2012, 12:55 PM
By the way Lounge, I'm still waiting.... :D

Oh shit, hahaha. Going out this week bro!!

Va Beach VH Fan
11-19-2012, 11:32 AM
.@butterball If I cook stuffing inside the turkey is there a chance I could kill my guests? I'm not saying that's necessarily a deal-breaker— Josiah Bartlet (@Pres_Bartlet) November 19, 2012

DavidLeeNatra
11-19-2012, 11:39 AM
I don't know who brought this one up...best TV-series ever! and I made a little fortune from it ;)

Va Beach VH Fan
11-20-2012, 04:14 PM
"Then said now unto him, say now “shibboleth" and he said "sibboleth" for he could not frame to pronounce it right."— Josiah Bartlet (@Pres_Bartlet) November 20, 2012

Va Beach VH Fan
11-21-2012, 07:50 AM
I've read every federal statute on the books and I cannot find any loophole that allows @pres_bartlet to pardon a turkey.— Agent Mike Casper (@AgentMikeCasper) November 21, 2012

Va Beach VH Fan
01-27-2014, 06:03 PM
Yes !!!

Seshmeister
01-27-2014, 10:51 PM
I'd like to ask when Obama says 'It's time that someone did something about this', why doesn't he? :)