PDA

View Full Version : The Fleshtones

Jérôme Frenchise
12-17-2005, 07:34 AM
I remember mentioning the Fleshtones each time there was a thread like "the best underrated band", but nobody seems to know about them because there never was any reaction, either positive or negative.
So here's a link to their "Hall of Fame", where you can download or play any audio or video file even if you're not logged on.
Well, it's rock-steady stuff, but the Fleshtones, who've been recording and touring since 1977 or so, are an unfairly neglected kick-ass American band, IMO.

Just click on the 5th link once you've opened the page (live @ La Locomotive, Paris - recorded on an FM radio station). If you enjoy classic, energetic rock steady music, then you'll enjoy the Fleshtones! :cool:

http://www.fleshtones.org/index.asp?inc=downloads&downcat=two

fuckhowardstern
12-17-2005, 09:14 AM
Listening to it now - reminds me of New York Dolls / Johansen style punk rock. They could have saved some energy and sampled that 8 bars they keep playing over and over again - but i guess (and I never really understood it) punk is all about raw energy. Thanks for trying to broaden my musical taste, mais c'est juste pas ma tasse de thé.

fuckhowardstern
12-17-2005, 09:17 AM
But I gave ya' 5 stars for the effort and your honest enthusiasm.

Jérôme Frenchise
12-17-2005, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by fuckhowardstern
But I gave ya' 5 stars for the effort and your honest enthusiasm.

Cheers! Five stars back at you for participating and answering honestly. :cool:

BTW, you seem to know French pretty well. The Fleshtones are not my "cup of tea" either... I'd rather say they're among my fave pints of beer. ;) They did (and still do) very good party music - but they've never played punk.

And, well, as far as playing 8 bars endlessly, that's all right with me, you know. I dig those relatively tough beats combined with simple but punchy guitar riffs... And their drummer really knows what to do with his kit.
They may not have basically invented anything special, and they may not be one of my very faves, but I find their stuff most entertaining. :cool:

fuckhowardstern
12-17-2005, 09:43 AM
Hey man - "If it sounds good, it is good" - (Duke Ellington). But since what sounds good is subjective, i have a variation on that quote: "If it makes you happy, it is good" (fuckhowardstern). Thanks for the compliment on my French but I assure you I write it A LOT better than I speak it! I am a bit rusty but one day I will have the opportunity to visit your beautiful country. Rock on, dude.