LoungeMachine
12-17-2005, 07:08 PM
· Police Reportedly Investigating Texas Players
·
Updated: 12:39 AM EST

Austin Police Reportedly Investigating Texas Players

Longhorns Starters Linked in Cases of Alleged Assault, Robbery

By JIM VERTUNO, AP Sports

AUSTIN, Texas (Dec. 16) - Texas cornerback Cedric Griffin has talked with police, a lawyer advising the player said Friday night, amid reports authorities are investigating an alleged assault and a robbery they believe might have been committed by Longhorns athletes.

Police would not identify the suspects, say how many are being investigated or if they are members of the second-ranked Longhorns football team, which is scheduled to play top-ranked Southern California in the Rose Bowl on Jan. 4 for the national title.

Three Austin television stations reported that the suspects are football players. The school said it had talked to the athletes and did not plan any action against them.

According to police, the incidents were an alleged armed robbery with an automatic handgun on Sept. 4 and assault and attempted robbery on Dec. 10. No charges have been filed.

Ken Oden, a lawyer advising Griffin, said the player has talked with police about a Dec. 10 nonviolent "trash talking" incident.

"I do think the notoriety and celebrity because of the big game coming up may be lending more drama to the situation than the facts would justify," Oden said.

Griffin is a senior starter for the second-ranked Longhorns.

Athletic director DeLoss Dodds said the university was surprised police released the allegations and that the school did not plan any action against the athletes.

Although Dodds' prepared statement said the school has talked to two athletes, it did not identify them or what sport they play.

"We have followed up on the rumors that we are hearing and spoken with the two student-athletes who are alleged to be under investigation," Dodds said.

Austin police spokesman Kevin Buchman said his office issued the statement after receiving several inquiries from the media. He said police would not release more information.

LoungeMachine
12-17-2005, 07:09 PM
Hook 'em

and

Book 'em

POJO_Risin
12-17-2005, 09:55 PM
You gotta love the brilliance of some of these assholes...

"Hey Daddy...were you on the team that played for the national title game?"

"No honey...I was busy holdin' up some folks...and going to jail..."

Nice...

Va Beach VH Fan
12-18-2005, 11:15 AM
I gotta save a canned statement for when these stupid idiots fuck up like this....

Yeah, just save it on my desktop, yeah, that's it....

LoungeMachine
12-18-2005, 11:48 AM
Suppose there's something to be said for "covering all your bases"

Need to have something to fall back on in case you're not drafted or get injured.

[ So I can't still run a 4.3, I can still jack a car motherfucker ]

Or when your career flames out in your rookie season, you won't be forced to sell Mercedes out in the suburbs.......you can instead be the getaway driver hitting convenience store near freeway onramps.

It's really quite practical when you think about it. It's not like they have an EDUCATION to fall back on......