PDA

View Full Version : Hundred of Pounds of Explosives STOLEN in NM

LoungeMachine
12-19-2005, 11:23 PM
DEVELOPING

A federal agent says a load of stolen explosives could be devastating if "in the hands of the right people and they knew how to use it." Officials in New Mexico say several hundred pounds of high explosives are missing from a private storage site.

About 25-hundred blasting caps and an undisclosed length of explosive detonation cord are also missing. Albuquerque Police Chief Ray Schultz says investigators haven't figured out yet when the explosives were taken or exactly how much is missing.

An agent at the local office of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms says it's enough to level a building. The ATF agent says there's no evidence to suggest a link to terrorism. But, he says there are no leads or suspects.

Cherry Engineering reported the materials missing yesterday. Company officials are cooperating with investigators.

http://www.wtkr.com/Global/story.asp?S=4265322&nav=ZolHbyvj

Cathedral
12-20-2005, 05:27 AM
In the wrong hands it could make a scary news story about a residential explosion in Smalltown, USA.

But i'd say since they knew to take the cord that they are familiar with what they took, but that's just an assumption on my part.
blasting caps can be found at any local construction company storage house, and most likely not well guarded at night.
It's one of those things that should be regulated better in my opinion.

Believe me, it wasn't that much of a task for anyone who wanted that stuff to get it.
I hope they find it before something bad happens though.

FORD
12-20-2005, 10:03 AM
It sounds like the media has hyped this one up quite a bit. The storage site in question sounds a lot like one I know of in this state. The storage unit is on the property of a licensed pyrotechnic company, because the State Patrol trusts them to store such things safely and dispose of them properly when neccessary. It's mostly just what would be considered "illegal fireworks" though. No nuclear warheads or any shit like that.

It's been several years since I've been down there, so I don't know what their security is like in a "post 9-11 era", but at least when I worked there, the most secure thing about the facility is the fact that very few people knew about it.

Hardrock69
12-20-2005, 11:38 AM
Hmm....could be coincidence, but anytime some new scandal erupts concerning Chimpy, some kinda story like this concerning "Possible Terrorists" seems to pop up in the news.

FORD
12-20-2005, 01:49 PM
Well it certainly would be convenient for them if something horrible happenned over the Christmas holiday weekend which would force Congress into an emergency vote on extending the Patriot Act. Because you know that filibuster pissed off Monkey Boy.