• Show
Clear All
  • DR CHIP
    Foot Soldier
    • Jan 2004

Bush thinks he's a king, huh?

CLINTON ADMINISTRATION SECRET SEARCH ON AMERICANS -- WITHOUT COURT ORDER

CARTER EXECUTIVE ORDER: 'ELECTRONIC SURVEILLANCE' WITHOUT COURT ORDER

Bill Clinton Signed Executive Order that allowed Attorney General to do searches without court approval

Clinton, February 9, 1995: "The Attorney General is authorized to approve physical searches, without a court order"

WASH POST, July 15, 1994: Extend not only to searches of the homes of U.S. citizens but also -- in the delicate words of a Justice Department official -- to "places where you wouldn't find or would be unlikely to find information involving a U.S. citizen... would allow the government to use classified electronic surveillance techniques, such as infrared sensors to observe people inside their homes, without a court order."

Deputy Attorney General Jamie S. Gorelick, the Clinton administration believes the president "has inherent authority to conduct warrantless searches for foreign intelligence purposes."

Secret searches and wiretaps of Aldrich Ames's office and home in June and October 1993, both without a federal warrant.

Jimmy Carter Signed Executive Order on May 23, 1979: "Attorney General is authorized to approve electronic surveillance to acquire foreign intelligence information without a court order."

END

CARTER EXECUTIVE ORDER: 'ELECTRONIC SURVEILLANCE' WITHOUT COURT ORDER

Bill Clinton Signed Executive Order that allowed Attorney General to do searches without court approval

Clinton, February 9, 1995: "The Attorney General is authorized to approve physical searches, without a court order"

WASH POST, July 15, 1994: Extend not only to searches of the homes of U.S. citizens but also -- in the delicate words of a Justice Department official -- to "places where you wouldn't find or would be unlikely to find information involving a U.S. citizen... would allow the government to use classified electronic surveillance techniques, such as infrared sensors to observe people inside their homes, without a court order."

Deputy Attorney General Jamie S. Gorelick, the Clinton administration believes the president "has inherent authority to conduct warrantless searches for foreign intelligence purposes."

Secret searches and wiretaps of Aldrich Ames's office and home in June and October 1993, both without a federal warrant.

Jimmy Carter Signed Executive Order on May 23, 1979: "Attorney General is authorized to approve electronic surveillance to acquire foreign intelligence information without a court order."

END

• Warham
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Mar 2004

Don't let the libs know about this.

Comment

• ELVIS
      Banned
      • Dec 2003

Oh my...:eek:

Comment

• DR CHIP
        Foot Soldier
        • Jan 2004

Every once in a while the Doc makes a house call to bitch slap these liberal, conspiracy theory laden, let all facts go out the window fellow Rothites.....

At least we all agree DLR is Van Halen!

Peace

Comment

• FORD
          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by DR CHIP
          Every once in a while the Doc makes a house call to bitch slap these liberal, conspiracy theory laden, let all facts go out the window fellow Rothites.....

By quoting Drudge???

At least we all agree DLR is Van Halen!

Peace
          Got that right! :bottle:
          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• DR CHIP
            Foot Soldier
            • Jan 2004

And Ford....Merry Christmas, sincerely....we may disagree politically, but we can agree He is the reason for the season (except at Wal-Mart)....

Comment

• Hardrock69
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Feb 2005

Clinton & Carter were not genocidal maniacs responsible for the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people.

When all else fails, drag out old history to make a pathetically lame attempt to bolster a weak point of view: That Chimpy is somehow a "good" President who can do no wrong.

You guys are a joke to believe in this sap....

Last edited by Hardrock69; 12-21-2005, 01:01 PM.

Comment

• DR CHIP
                Foot Soldier
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Hardrock69
                Clinton & Carter were not genocidal maniacs responsible for the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people.

When all else fails, drag out old history to make a pathetically lame attempt to bolster a weak point of view: That Chimpy is somehow a "good" President who can do no wrong.

You guys are a joke to believe in this sap....

Seriously....everything you just stated is either a really bad argument that you can't see or another emotionally charged response with no basis in fact or you missed the point of my post entirely and knee jerked a response....

1. I never said Bush could do no wrong....where have I ever said this?

2. The reason for the post was to discredit this myth out there that Bush somehow thinks he is a king...he is NOT the only President who has acted with broad ability

3. There is absolutley no proof in your assertion that Bush is a maniac - show me PROOF, not opinion

4. Listen to your post....it is bad rhetoric, with even worse argument and had I ben the one to post a response like you did, you would be all over me for no facts!

5. Bush has done numerous things in ways I do not agree with, as has EVERY President I can remember, but the attacks on him that are falicious need to be responded to

6. The above post you referenced was written to prove one point: Bush isn' the only President to feel he has the power to tap into certain privacy laws (which was a blatant rebuttal to the Bush thinks he's a king thread)...

Hard Rock, I appreciate dialogue and appreciate diversity of opinion, but please do not succomb to the notion that everyone except the left has a point to make....

Peace

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                  SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Re: Bush thinks he's a king, huh?

END

http://www.drudgereport.com/flash8.htm
                  This article is true, yet it's leaving out a key piece of information. What they're leaving out is that the Gov't can indeed conduct a "warrantless search for intelligence purposes," AS LONG AS THEY GET A POST-SEARCH WARRANT AFTER EXPLAINING WHAT THEY'VE DONE AND WHY THEY DID IT TO THE FISA COURT! BUSH WAS FREE TO DO THIS, BUT YET DIDN'T FEEL THE NEED TOO...

Comment

• DR CHIP
                    Foot Soldier
                    • Jan 2004

Not true Nick....the Pres can do it WITHOUT the FISA approval....

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Not true Nick....the Pres can do it WITHOUT the FISA approval....

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/o...commentary-hed
                      Why, because an ex-Clinton Administration attorney says so in an Op-Ed? That's his opinion, not the stated truth. And CLINTON's and CARTER's use was far more narrowly defined, as in singular intelligence investigations of confirmed traitors like AIMES. Not in broad sweeps that could contain many US citizens. Firstly, we're in the realm of shady semantics regarding "terrorist" and 'foreign intelligence'....

Comment

• diamondD
                        Veteran
                        • Jan 2004

Seriously....everything you just stated is either a really bad argument that you can't see or another emotionally charged response with no basis in fact or you missed the point of my post entirely and knee jerked a response....

1. I never said Bush could do no wrong....where have I ever said this?

2. The reason for the post was to discredit this myth out there that Bush somehow thinks he is a king...he is NOT the only President who has acted with broad ability

3. There is absolutley no proof in your assertion that Bush is a maniac - show me PROOF, not opinion

4. Listen to your post....it is bad rhetoric, with even worse argument and had I ben the one to post a response like you did, you would be all over me for no facts!

5. Bush has done numerous things in ways I do not agree with, as has EVERY President I can remember, but the attacks on him that are falicious need to be responded to

6. The above post you referenced was written to prove one point: Bush isn' the only President to feel he has the power to tap into certain privacy laws (which was a blatant rebuttal to the Bush thinks he's a king thread)...

Hard Rock, I appreciate dialogue and appreciate diversity of opinion, but please do not succomb to the notion that everyone except the left has a point to make....

Peace
                        Beautiful post. I get so sick of that "Bush can do no wrong" label. Every one of them commited acts I don't agree with.

But sometimes, throwing that label at you is all the argument they have...
                        Meet us in the future, not the pasture

Comment

• DR CHIP
                          Foot Soldier
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                          Why, because an ex-Clinton Administration attorney says so in an Op-Ed? That's his opinion, not the stated truth. And CLINTON's and CARTER's use was far more narrowly defined, as in singular intelligence investigations of confirmed traitors like AIMES. Not in broad sweeps that could contain many US citizens. Firstly, we're in the realm of shady semantics regarding "terrorist" and 'foreign intelligence'....
                          No because the Courts have upheld it...didn't you read the article?

Comment

• DR CHIP
                            Foot Soldier
                            • Jan 2004

Nick for your reading pleasure:

Four federal courts of appeal subsequently faced the issue squarely and held that the president has inherent authority to authorize wiretapping for foreign intelligence purposes without judicial warrant.

In the most recent judicial statement on the issue, the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court of Review, composed of three federal appellate court judges, said in 2002 that "All the ... courts to have decided the issue held that the president did have inherent authority to conduct warrantless searches to obtain foreign intelligence ... We take for granted that the president does have that authority."

The passage of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act in 1978 did not alter the constitutional situation. That law created the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court that can authorize surveillance directed at an "agent of a foreign power," which includes a foreign terrorist group. Thus, Congress put its weight behind the constitutionality of such surveillance in compliance with the law's procedures.

But as the 2002 Court of Review noted, if the president has inherent authority to conduct warrantless searches, "FISA could not encroach on the president's constitutional power."

Comment

• Guitar Shark
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Jan 2004

CHIP, I think you're missing Nick's point. Nick doesn't dispute that the law allows the president to conduct warrantless searches under certain conditions. He is saying that one of those conditions is that the administration is supposed to get a warrant after the fact. The article you posted doesn't address that point.
                              ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
                              Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

Working...