PDA

View Full Version : Ohio slides further into fascism and corruption

FORD
12-24-2005, 01:35 PM
NewsNet5.com
Bill Would Allow Arrests For No Reason In Public Place
Citizens Would Also Have To Show ID

UPDATED: 7:22 pm EST December 19, 2005

CLEVELAND -- A bill on Gov. Bob Taft's desk right now is drawing a lot of criticism, NewsChannel5 reported.

One state representative said it resembles Gestapo-style tactics of government, and there could be changes coming on the streets of Ohio's small towns and big cities.

The Ohio Patriot Act has made it to the Taft's desk, and with the stroke of a pen, it would most likely become the toughest terrorism bill in the country. The lengthy piece of legislation would let police arrest people in public places who will not give their names, address and birth dates, even if they are not doing anything wrong.

WEWS reported it would also pave the way for everyone entering critical transportation sites such as, train stations, airports and bus stations to show ID.

"It brings us frighteningly close to a show me your papers society," said Carrie Davis of the ACLU, which opposes the Ohio Patriot Act.

There are many others who oppose the bill as well.

"The variety of people who opposed to this is not just a group of the usual suspects. We have people far right to the left opposing the bill who think it is a bad idea," said Al McGinty, NewsChannel5’s terrorism expert.

McGinty said he isn't sure the law would do what it's intended to do.

"I think anything we do to enhance security and give power to protect the public to police officers is a good idea," he said. "It is a good law in the wrong direction."

Gov. Bob Taft will make the ultimate decision on whether to sign the bill.

WEWS was told that Taft is expected to sign the bill into law, but legal experts expect that it will be challenged in courts.

Copyright 2005 by NewsNet5. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Isn't Taft under indictment?? Do you guys really want something like this in his hands??

twonabomber
12-26-2005, 03:33 PM
Taft is a lame duck asshole.

this is the first i've heard of this bill. i have to do some digging and see who sponsored it.

BITEYOASS
12-26-2005, 10:02 PM
WTF, what's he gonna do next? Send National Guardsmen to handle a student protest on a college campus?!?!?

FORD
12-26-2005, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by BITEYOASS
WTF, what's he gonna do next? Send National Guardsmen to handle a student protest on a college campus?!?!?

Yeah, that's right.... fascism isn't exactly new to Ohio, is it? :(

Unchainme
12-26-2005, 10:39 PM
Auctually the Back story to the whole thing to the whole Kent State incident (Which is only like a Half hour drive from where I live.) Is that Kids were starting all the violence that had led up to the incident. Starting Bonfires and rioting downtown. Far From a "Peaceful" Protest most would like you to think.

Friday, May 1
At Kent State, a massive demonstration was held on May 1 on the Commons (a grassy area in the center of campus traditionally used as a gathering place for rallies), and another was planned for May 4. There was widespread anger, and many protesters issued a call to "bring the war home." That night, there were many separate incidents between students and police, with bonfires lit in the middle of downtown streets and police cars hit with bottles. Rowdy groups of students began moving towards the downtown streets. As the bars began closing their doors to avoid trouble, the students became more agitated. Finally, violence erupted and frustrated students smashed store windows, vandalized property and looted shops.

[edit]
Saturday, May 2
Tensions were high throughout the town, especially on campus. There were unfounded rumors that revolutionaries were planning to destroy the campus and the city to tip off a violent political revolution in the United States.[1]

Kent's Mayor Leroy Satrom declared a state of emergency on May 2 and, later that afternoon, asked Ohio Governor James A. Rhodes to send the National Guard to Kent to help maintain order.

When the National Guard arrived in town that evening, a large demonstration was under way and the campus Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC) building was burning. Many believe the fire may have been set in protest, but the arsonists were never caught. There is speculation about the actual start of the fire, because the ROTC building was already boarded up and scheduled for demolition. Over a thousand protesters surrounded the building and cheered the building's burning. While attempting to extinguish the fire, several Kent firemen and police officers were pelted with rocks and other projectiles by those standing near the fire. More than one fire engine company had to be called in because protesters were slashing fire hoses with pocket knives. Again, a call for assistance went out. The National Guard entered the campus for the first time and set up camp directly on campus. Many arrests were made, and tear gas was used.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kent_State_shootings

Unchainme
12-26-2005, 11:23 PM
BTW The Local station you found the article like all of the local cleveland Affiliates is about as legitimate as Faux News.

twonabomber
12-27-2005, 02:24 AM
i dunno. if it was Channel 19 i'd be more skeptical.