PDA

View Full Version : Character Actor Vincent Schiavelli Dies

FORD
12-26-2005, 01:04 PM
Character Actor Vincent Schiavelli Dies

http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/ap/20051226/capt.lon10712261638.italy_obit_schiavelli_lon107.j pg?x=243&y=345&sig=j97.VzTsFZhEBcPPoluTGA--

Vincent Schiavelli, the droopy-eyed character actor who appeared in scores of movies, including "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" and "Ghost," died Monday at his home in Sicily. He was 57.

He died of lung cancer, said Salvatore Glorioso, mayor of Polizzi Generosa, the Sicilian village where Schiavelli resided.

Schiavelli, whose gloomy look made him perfect to play creepy or eccentric characters, made appearances in some 150 film and television productions, according to the Internet Movie Database.

Among the movies: "Fast Times at Ridgemont High," "Amadeus," "Batman Returns," and "The People vs. Larry Flynt." He was selected in 1997 by Vanity Fair as one of America's best character actors.

Schiavelli, who was born and raised in New York, studied acting at New York University's School of the Arts.

He also wrote three cookbooks and many food articles for magazines and newspapers, possibly inheriting his love for cooking from his grandfather, who had been a cook for an Italian baron before moving to the United States, according to IMDB.

"He was a great friend, a great chef and a great talker," Glorioso, who has known Schiavelli for almost four years, said in a telephone interview.

"With a smooth, witty conversation, he would make everything look more colorful. I've lost a brother," he said.

Schiavelli also had worked in Italy, including in 2001 when he directed a theater piece in Sicily based on nine fables.

A funeral service will be held Tuesday in Polizzi Generosa, Glorioso said.

The weird thing is, this guy ALWAYS looked like he was dead.......

link (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051226/ap_en_mo/obit_schiavelli)

ALinChainz
12-26-2005, 01:36 PM
Damn, you were right.

Did not recognize the name, but the face ...

"I just switched to Sanka so ... have a heart ..."

WARF
12-26-2005, 01:54 PM
I liked his work in CUCKOO'S NEST!

Bob_R
12-26-2005, 09:11 PM
Right on FORD. Didn't recognize the name but knew the face. He was in "Night Shift" as well.

Diamondjimi
12-26-2005, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by ALinChainz
Damn, you were right.

Did not recognize the name, but the face ...

"I just switched to Sanka so ... have a heart ..."

"Fast Times" ...classic. That's got to be his most famous line .

R.I.P.

diamondsgirl
12-27-2005, 12:55 AM
he was a great actor. :(

RIP

Susie Q
12-28-2005, 12:47 AM
Yep...didn't know who he was....but now that I see the face....

RuzDNailz
12-28-2005, 02:25 AM
I will always remember him as the ghost on the train from Ghost.
He always had that presence on screen.

Matt White
12-29-2005, 06:37 PM
That guy was in EVERYTHING....

RIP