PDA

View Full Version : Iraq Importing Oil, forced to triple Prices

LoungeMachine
12-26-2005, 08:55 PM
Iraq, the THIRD largest oil reserve in the World is importing Oil???????????

It's been forced to triple prices recently?

See the video at www.cbsnews.com

Iraq Oil Min Threatens To Resign If Fuel Hike Remains

BAGHDAD -(Dow Jones)- Iraq's oil minister said Monday that he would resign if the government doesn't overturn Sunday's decision to hike fuel prices five to nine times.

The cabinet's decision to hike gasoline prices immediately to stem the growing black market prompted demonstrations in Iraq.

"Dr Ibrahim Bahr al-Uloum will tender his resignation to the government, if the government doesn't change its decision on the fuel prices," the minister told reporters in Baghdad.

Bahr al-Uloum said the government should stick to its decision in October, when it decided to implement a two- to three-fold hike in gasoline prices from Dec. 31.

The cabinet approved increasing the price of imported and super gasoline to 250 Iraqi dinars (17 cents) a liter from IQD50, as well as that of regular, locally-produced gasoline to IQD150 from IQD20.

Gasoil was raised to IQD90 a liter from IQD10, Kerosene to IQD25 from IQD5, and a cooking gas cylinder to IQD600 from IQD200.

Bahr al-Uloum said he continued to back a gradual increase in fuel prices, but said he had made his displeasure known at the cabinet meeting that approved Sunday's hike.

Earlier this year, the Iraqi cabinet had rejected a proposal by Finance Minister Ali Abdulameer Allawi to raise fuel prices ten-fold.

Iraq has suffered from an acute shortage of oil products since the U.S.-led invasion in 2003.

Up to 2 million liters of gasoline are smuggled out of the country every day.

In order to meet growing shortages, the government is importing around $3 billion worth of oil products every year from countries like Turkey, Kuwait, Iran and Syria.

The current government has continued ousted President Saddam Hussein's practice of subsidizing gasoline, and other oil products, keeping the price at the pump for a gallon of gasoline at a paltry 6 U.S. cents.

The subsidies, which artificially produced some of the lowest gasoline and heating fuel prices in the world, have been singled out by financial institutions both inside and outside Iraq as a crippling burden when the country is trying to create a free-market economy.

Hardrock69
12-27-2005, 01:13 AM
Gas prices would have to get real sooner or later. Might as well get it over with and get on with the program....

Big Train
12-27-2005, 02:57 PM
It wouldn't hurt either if insurgents, ya know, could stop blowing up the pipelines and refineries, which as you know,sorta spikes demand for Foreign Oil...those freedom fighters are there to HELP them right?

LoungeMachine
12-27-2005, 04:58 PM
Gee, the world's LARGEST, most powerful army can't protect pipelines from a bunch of rag-tag guerilla???

Maybe if we weren't spending so much time and energy protecting Halliburton employees while they build 14 military bases and the world's largest embassey

priorities

FORD
12-27-2005, 07:20 PM
Kinda funny how those "insurgents" suddenly have such access to the oil facilities when they were the first thing secured in the country when the invasion began.....

False oil shortages have done well for the BCE and their friends on this continent for the last 25 years. Why not use the same scam in Iraq?

LoungeMachine
12-27-2005, 07:42 PM
Indeed.

Big Train
12-27-2005, 09:37 PM
Is it facilities or the pipes? Its hard to protect hundreds of miles of pipes. Plus, who benefits...neighboring countries, not the US in this case.

LoungeMachine
12-27-2005, 09:42 PM
Regardless, isn't it ironic that EVERYTHING we were told to fear from Saddam, has in turn happened at the hands of The Coalitition????????????????

No WMDs, now they do

No Terrorists, now they're there

No Threat to US, now they're more than a "threat"

No problem with oil, now there's problems

funny, innit?

:hitch:

Nickdfresh
12-28-2005, 07:56 AM
BTW, last time I checked, IRAQ is our sixth-largest oil importer...

Big Train
12-28-2005, 10:31 AM
I guess it is ironic Alanis...completely off topic to my response, but possibly ironic yes.

NIck, what does Iraq being our 6th largest supplier have to do with a tariff on them importing oil from neighboring countries? Irony?

Nickdfresh
12-28-2005, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Big Train
I guess it is ironic Alanis...completely off topic to my response, but possibly ironic yes.

Who said I was responding to you AVRIL? A little self-important, are we?

NIck, what does Iraq being our 6th largest supplier have to do with a tariff on them importing oil from neighboring countries? Irony?

It's a statement of fact, I never used the word "ironic" (which ALANIS incorrectly uses btw).

Big Train
12-28-2005, 11:06 AM
Hey fuckface, I was responding to Lounge. Take a walk and calm yourself. I suppose I will have to more clear about how I'm responding to in every sentence. Apparently, NICK,...doesn't cut it.

Yes NICK, I understand it was a statement of fact, I was merely asking where you were going with it.

LoungeMachine
12-28-2005, 11:42 AM
decaf BT

Big Train
12-28-2005, 11:47 AM
I tried tastes like shit. Besides, I'm not the one doing the attacking, just defending myself.

kentuckyklira
12-28-2005, 11:56 AM
It wouldn't hurt either if insurgents, ya know, could stop blowing up the pipelines and refineries, which as you know,sorta spikes demand for Foreign Oil...those freedom fighters are there to HELP them right? Those freedom fighters are doing the right thing. I doubt the Iraqi people would see a cent of the oil revenue. Bush and his buddies on the other hand!

knuckleboner
12-28-2005, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by kentuckyklira
Those freedom fighters are doing the right thing. I doubt the Iraqi people would see a cent of the oil revenue. Bush and his buddies on the other hand!

so, the ones that kill iraqi policemen are bad, but the ones that blow up iraqi pipelines are good? fine line, huh?

Nickdfresh
12-28-2005, 05:40 PM
Hey fuckface, I was responding to Lounge.

Really, try taking the stick out of your ass, mmm'kay. No need to be a total bitch about it, that time of the month? Santa leave a turd in your stocking?

Take a walk and calm yourself. I suppose I will have to more clear about how I'm responding to in every sentence. Apparently, NICK,...doesn't cut it.

Moi take a walk? Me calm down? Now that was ironic. Don't'cha think?;)

How about not convoluting your posts with Alanis, irony?

Yes NICK, I understand it was a statement of fact, I was merely asking where you were going with it.

I guess I pointing out that Iraq is our sixth largest importer for petroleum products...

But since you pointed out the "irony" factor, yes I guess it's a bit strange that they import oil as well...

Nickdfresh
12-28-2005, 05:41 PM
I tried tastes like shit. Besides, I'm not the one doing the attacking, just defending myself.

Yeah, that was one hell of an attack I waged...:rolleyes:

Big Train
12-28-2005, 07:31 PM
Nick,
I'm trying to figure out why you say I'm being self-important. I'm just debating.

Whenever I join a debate, I'm being self-important?

It felt like an attack, I added the irony thing as a joke, which didn't make you laugh. Fair enough. Your comments were unnecessary though. They made you sound like a douche and I responded.

LoungeMachine
12-28-2005, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
Yeah, that was one hell of an attack I waged...:rolleyes:

LMMFAO:D

Fucking bully, you....

Bet you run over old ladies in Crosswalks too....

bitch.:cool:

LoungeMachine
12-28-2005, 08:04 PM

Did I quote you ?

No.

It was "off topic" how?

It was my thread, and I just stated a rather interesting side note to the whole debate.

Some of us are able to carry more than one thought at a time.

Should I answer you directly by either addressing you, or quoting you in my post, then you'll know I'm speaking to you.

I have complete confidence that from now on you'll be able to tell the difference.

LoungeMachine
12-28-2005, 08:06 PM
Hey fuckface,

Ahhh, the debate skills of the Neo-Con Right.

:cool:

Nickdfresh
12-28-2005, 08:28 PM
Nick,
I'm trying to figure out why you say I'm being self-important. I'm just debating.

Hey man, I thought you were talkin' to me man...

But you weren't talking to me apparently. But your post followed mine and the whole ALANIS/irony thing was sort of, well, convoluted so I got cuntfused, but you were a tad cuntfusing here...

Whenever I join a debate, I'm being self-important?

Of course you are, but so is everybody else...

It felt like an attack, I added the irony thing as a joke, which didn't make you laugh. Fair enough. Your comments were unnecessary though. They made you sound like a douche and I responded.

How do you know I didn't laugh? and dude, I thought you were calling me ALANIS MORISSETTE. THAT FELT LIKE AN ATTACK!! LOL

Jesus, were my comments really that bad? I thought I was being really mild...

Big Train
12-28-2005, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
Did I quote you ?

No.

It was "off topic" how?

It was my thread, and I just stated a rather interesting side note to the whole debate.

Some of us are able to carry more than one thought at a time.

Should I answer you directly by either addressing you, or quoting you in my post, then you'll know I'm speaking to you.

I have complete confidence that from now on you'll be able to tell the difference.

Um, you were responding to me in the original post sunshine.

It begins "Regardless" meaning, forget whatever we are talking bout, and it went off topic into the "isn't it ironic" bit.

LoungeMachine
12-28-2005, 09:19 PM
Um, you were responding to me in the original post sunshine.

It begins "Regardless" meaning, forget whatever we are talking bout, and it went off topic into the "isn't it ironic" bit.

Yes, punkin.....

Draw?

We need to be able to carry on multiple debates within each thread, or die of boredom.......agree???

And if anyone starts a post with "regardless", it pretty much begats a new argument......true????

:cool:

Big Train
12-29-2005, 11:28 AM
I suppose, even though I only have the capacity to have the debate skills of a neo-con.

I don't really care, the whole thing got jumbled because nobody was clear who I was responding to. I will attempt to be more clear and label each sentence so everyone can clearly understand who is talking to who and about which debate...yadda yadda...

LoungeMachine
12-29-2005, 11:31 AM
I suppose, even though I only have the capacity to have the debate skills of a neo-con.

Admitting you have a problem is the first step ;)

And no, you're not a true Con, but tend to lean in their direction at times....

yada yada...