PDA

View Full Version : Guitar collections,or,cemetaries?

Macu
01-05-2006, 03:43 PM
Lets forget about a persons "right" to collect guitars,and consider "is it right?"I am not talking about a few guitars,( if they are played),as much as the big collections.People hoarding vintage pieces either for the prestige,or,re-sale.The vintage guitar market got royally screwed by people buying up everything they could as investments.Non-musicians who dont play.Its now impossible to realistically think about owning many guitars.Or,musicians that can afford it,but,cant possibly play all of the guitars for any real length of time.Example:Want a Gibson flyingV?Too bad!,Rudi Schenker has all of them.Not really,but,I saw a picture of his "collection".Its like 60 guitars,or,so.I play guitar for a living,and,as a musician,I cant imagine having rooms full of guitars just sitting there.Like I said,how much can you play 60 guitars.I come accross guitars all the time.Many are gifts.I end up giving ones away,or,trading to friends that might need a better guitar.Many of the best guitars in the world are basically dying in graves.Any player knows an instrument must be played.The more the better.---End of rant--- Macu...

Hardrock69
01-05-2006, 04:43 PM
in October of 1986, I brought an early 70's Gibson SG backstage at an AC/DC concert to see if Angus would be interested in buying one. He prefers a certain style of SG that has a narrower neck at the nut than usual (I think they are 1 1/8" wide at the nut, whereas a normal SG is 1 1/4" wide).

I went into the tuning room to discuss it with his guitar tech.

He looked it over, and said: "Yes..that is the kind he likes alright. But he is not buying any right now...he has got 65 of them out with him right now".

He was not lying. At the other end of the room were guitar cases stacked to the ceiling, and wall to wall, and half a dozen guitars were on stands, including several SGs, and Malcom;s White Gretsch Falcon (I think that is the correct model).

THe answer to the above thought about collections is that you should thank these collectors for hoarding them.

If it were not for them, these guitars would not be considered a good investment.

I someday want to start buying some investment-grade guitars.

Late 50s-Early 60s Fender Strats can still be found at a reasonable price.

Forget about about 1959 Les Paul Standards, or 1958 Flying Vs.

Guitar Center in Gnashville for almost a year had a 1954 Strat for 7500 bucks. It was in great shape too. They might have accepted an offer lower than that, as they had it for quite awhile.

These collectable guitars will not decrease in value at all.

Get 'em while you can, and someday you can sell them for a nice profit.

Macu
01-05-2006, 06:36 PM
Investment?Is that the reason you buy guitars?What good is ANY guitar that isnt played?Its just moving around a piece of wood for people to say"Its valuable".I understand the business end of it,HR,I want to know how you feel about 65 guitars doing NOTHING except waiting for"someday"to make someone some money?Its like tourists that come to Spain and buy nice Spanish guitars only to take them home to stick up on a wall.I think it sucks.I would rather see guitars being played by musicians than to see them being "played"by businessmen.I dont think the hoarders deserve any thanks.They dont determine if something is a good investment.They can,however,manipulate the market.I dont need anyone to tell me what a good guitar is.Personally,I dont care about brands.When you consider it a tool in your life,you want what works the best.I do own an old Les Paul,but,prefer strats.I had many nice Fenders in the past but now have a Francesc Jordan custom made one.He is a luthier in Barcelona.I prefer it to any Fender I have ever played.And what about these hoarders that have no intention on selling their guitars "someday"?We have to wait for them to die and hope whoever gets them will sell them for a reasonable price?I think the whole thing is stupid.Really,I dont care.I am happy with what I have.I just think its a shame that so many guitars are basically wasted.BTW,thanks for the link for the videos site.Jammed on some Maiden earlier! Macu...

jhale667
01-05-2006, 06:43 PM
As far as vintage instruments go, if you can justify paying that amount, go nuts. I've only played ONE vintage Strat that gave me a boner ( it was a '54, and it was MAGIC...10k sticker price)...and I worked at one of the flagship stores of the Evil Empire, so I've played a bunch. What killed me ( and still does) are the weenies that will pay $15k for a PRS they can't even PLAY, just to be able to say "I paid (X) for this guitar!" Yeah, well I BUILT mine for $500, and I can beat you up with it ;). I can't see having more guitars than I actually USE ( I have five right now), but if I suddenly had way more disposable income, you never know....;)

Hardrock69
01-06-2006, 02:34 AM
Hey, I have 9 guitars I own for PLAYING Purposes.

Why should I always invest my money in stocks or real estate or coins?

As a guitar player I would want to invest in GUITARS!

Have you ever bothered to check out the return on investment on a vintage guitar after just a few years?

As time goes on, the value only goes up.

I am not concerned with the playability if I buy it as an investment, as playing it is not it's purpose in such a situation.

Macu
01-06-2006, 03:32 AM
I am in agreement with both of you.Price isnt a concern if its "The One",or,as my friends would say,"Excalibre!".Once again,if its in reach.Also,vintage doesnt neccesarily mean good.I am of the same mindset as you Jhale,in that I dont own guitars I dont play.But you bring up a good point about investing,HR.I never thought about it that way.Last night I was thinking to myself"Its just guitars,whats the big deal?Relax".You both make good points,only,what about all the"NICE" guitars in big collections that go untouched year after year?Macu...

Mr Grimsdale
01-06-2006, 07:02 AM
PENIS

Macu
01-06-2006, 09:06 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mr Grimsdale
[SIZE=I LOVE PENIS[/SIZE] [/Q

Mr Grimsdale
01-06-2006, 09:07 AM
PENIS

Macu
01-06-2006, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Mr Grimsdale I NEED PENIS

Mr Grimsdale
01-06-2006, 09:09 AM
PENIS
PENIS
PENIS

Macu
01-06-2006, 09:10 AM
Stop stalking me like some kind of fag,grimsdale.If you got something to say,bring it on.You are really fucking boring.

Mr Grimsdale
01-06-2006, 09:19 AM
PENIS

Macu
01-06-2006, 09:38 AM
O.k.,I figured it out.Welcome back,Mr.G.,and best wishes.

Mr Grimsdale
01-06-2006, 10:13 AM
hi de hi!

Matt White
01-06-2006, 12:08 PM
Exactly, exactly

ELVIS
01-06-2006, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Macu
I had many nice Fenders in the past but now have a Francesc Jordan custom made one.He is a luthier in Barcelona.I prefer it to any Fender I have ever played.

I'll bet that's an ugly piece of well made junk...

Anyway, as far as you thinking these vintage guitars are being "wasted", I think they are for the most part being lovingly preserved...

I so far have 15 guitars, mostly Strats, am I hoarding them ??

I play guitar everyday, but some of them have not been touched in years...

:elvis:

Hardrock69
01-06-2006, 05:13 PM
Best not to play them.

Ya wanna preserve them for A) Posterity, and B) a nice profit.

:cool:

BrownSound1
01-08-2006, 02:43 AM
I have no problem with people collecting guitars at all. Yes it would be "cool" to own an actual '58 or '59 Les Paul, or any number of various year models of Strats and Teles, but would you really take them out and gig with them if you had them? I certainly wouldn't...they would end up just being studio guitars, IF they sounded worth a shit. If they don't, then why not turn them into art pieces?

I'll tell you something about vintage equipment, not all of it sounds good, regardless of what some folks tell you. Quality control was not that great in the good ol' days, and there are many inconsistancies in vintage gear. Some of it fucking rocks, and some of it just plain sucks. What should be done is guitar manufactures should figure out what made the good ones good, and build ALL of their current line to those specs. Same thing with amplifiers, which has fallen victim to the same overpricing. Vintage amps are outrageous...just go try to buy an old plexi Marshall, or vintage Fender, or Vox...you'll pay dearly for them. If Marshall would get their heads out of their asses and really look at what made the GOOD amps sound good then they could put an end to these boutique places making replicas. Fender has done a bit better job than Marshall, but there are a few things they could improve as well, hence all of the boutique Fender clones.

Of course none of that will ever happen because these big companies are only worried about making money by giving you inferior clones for the cheapest manufacturing cost possible.

Hardrock69
01-08-2006, 04:49 AM
Hear hear!!

kentuckyklira
01-08-2006, 09:58 AM
I have over 70. Most of them I play. Of course, some I rarely play but wonŽt sell because IŽd hate to see the same guitar go for 3 times the amount in a year or two.

ELVIS
01-08-2006, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by BrownSound1
I'll tell you something about vintage equipment, not all of it sounds good, regardless of what some folks tell you.

I agree with that...

Quality control was not that great in the good ol' days, and there are many inconsistancies in vintage gear.

I don't completely agree with that...

From what I've read, observed and seen with my own eyes, guitars and amps from the 50's and early 60's are remarkably well made...

Early Gibson, Fender and Gretsch quality was excellent in the earlier days, but quickly goes down starting, at least, by the early 70's...

twonabomber
01-08-2006, 10:32 AM
i ain't reading all that.

get a better job and you can afford some more toys. until then, STFU.

BrownSound1
01-08-2006, 01:10 PM
Who are you talking too?

jhale667
01-08-2006, 03:11 PM
Who are you talking too?

He doesn't know...;)

Macu
01-09-2006, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
I'll bet that's an ugly piece of well made junk...

Dont bet on things you know absolutely NOTHING about.

Anyway, as far as you thinking these vintage guitars are being "wasted", I think they are for the most part being lovingly preserved...

For what?An instrument is built to be played.

I so far have 15 guitars, mostly Strats, am I hoarding them ??

Good for you.How the fuck would I know what you do with your guitars?But thats not the point.You dont own a HUGE vintage collection.

I play guitar everyday, but some of them have not been touched in years...

And?

Macu
01-09-2006, 04:57 PM
Yeah,I know,Ill get the hang of posting down soon enough.:)

Macu
01-09-2006, 05:01 PM
I have no problem with people collecting guitars at all. Yes it would be "cool" to own an actual '58 or '59 Les Paul, or any number of various year models of Strats and Teles, but would you really take them out and gig with them if you had them?

Yes.

I certainly wouldn't...they would end up just being studio guitars, IF they sounded worth a shit.

If they don't, then why not turn them into art pieces?

I agree.

twonabomber
01-09-2006, 07:47 PM
Who are you talking too?

whoever is complaining. :D

you know what else i hate? people from outside the US who complain that they can't get the gear they want where they live. STFU. :D

sammysucks65
01-09-2006, 08:35 PM
this suits me at the moment, two guitars beat to shit one and nice one

plus one serves as a backup during a gig (broken string, alt tunings for nother song, etc)

sammysucks65
01-09-2006, 08:37 PM
untill i get more dinero $$$

Macu
01-09-2006, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by twonabomber
whoever is complaining. :D

you know what else i hate? people from outside the US who complain that they can't get the gear they want where they live. STFU. :D
I dont see anyone complaining.As far as myself,most people couldnt afford to buy my guitars.And dont give me any of that"people outside the U.S.", bullshit.You think thats the only place with money?I think its YOU that should STFU.And I dont hate,like you.I just get bored with ignorant,never been anywhere,motherfuckers like you making problems where problems dont exist.Its the true mark of a failure that must resort to racism to try to make a non-existent point.Since you dont know,I will tell you:there is the same shit EVERYWHERE in this world,dumb-ass.Take your hate somewhere else...

Macu
01-09-2006, 08:51 PM
Oh shit!I forgot the smiley!:D

Hardrock69
01-09-2006, 10:34 PM
Goober.

Macu
01-10-2006, 03:28 AM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
Goober.
:D

ashstralia
01-10-2006, 03:48 AM
I have no problem with people collecting guitars at all. Yes it would be "cool" to own an actual '58 or '59 Les Paul, or any number of various year models of Strats and Teles, but would you really take them out and gig with them if you had them? I certainly wouldn't...they would end up just being studio guitars, IF they sounded worth a shit. If they don't, then why not turn them into art pieces?

great logic, brownsound! agree completely.

i'm thinking the guitars we ARE playing will one day be worth big $, too.
like limited edition ibanez' from the 70's on....
and the magnificent '80s jap strats/teles/basses....
tokais etc.

what will we play then?

Macu
01-10-2006, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by ashstralia
great logic, brownsound! agree completely.

i'm thinking the guitars we ARE playing will one day be worth big $, too.
like limited edition ibanez' from the 70's on....
and the magnificent '80s jap strats/teles/basses....
tokais etc.

what will we play then?

I agree,however,I don't care about money.I would prefer to play a guitar and enjoy it,as opposed to not playing it in order to preserve it.I have only one Life,and its short.I want to enjoy it as much as I can.What will we play then?I believe they will continue to improve guitar design/technology.In the future they will not only consistently re-produce the classic sounds,but,create new,interesting ones.Who knows,maybe someone will figure out how to make the "classic"guitars seem obsolete by comparison.Who knows?By the way,thank all of you for responding.:)

fuckhowardstern
01-10-2006, 10:00 AM
I dont see anyone complaining.As far as myself,most people couldnt afford to buy my guitars.And dont give me any of that"people outside the U.S.", bullshit.You think thats the only place with money?I think its YOU that should STFU.And I dont hate,like you.I just get bored with ignorant,never been anywhere,motherfuckers like you making problems where problems dont exist.Its the true mark of a failure that must resort to racism to try to make a non-existent point.Since you dont know,I will tell you:there is the same shit EVERYWHERE in this world,dumb-ass.Take your hate somewhere else...

EXCELLENT! I see you are getting the hang of things around here! You're a fucking natural!

Macu
01-10-2006, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by fuckhowardstern
EXCELLENT! I see you are getting the hang of things around here! You're a fucking natural!
Hey,FHS!...I thought maybe it was a little overboard at first,then I remembered where the fuck I was and said,"Naaaaaaah".Alcohol loosens me up a bit.:D

fuckhowardstern
01-10-2006, 03:45 PM
Don't worry - you'll get a polite admonishment from a mod with heart if you go too far overboard. I think I have used all mine up already though.

Macu
01-10-2006, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by fuckhowardstern
Don't worry - you'll get a polite admonishment from a mod with heart if you go too far overboard. I think I have used all mine up already though.
Been naughty,have we?:D

twonabomber
01-10-2006, 07:01 PM

uh, YOU just got here, so FUCK YOU.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a372/jeepsguitars/bigflip.gif

Macu
01-10-2006, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by twonabomber
uh, YOU just got here, so FUCK YOU.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a372/jeepsguitars/bigflip.gif

Hardrock69
01-11-2006, 04:12 PM
LMAO!

FHS is right....take what normality is and throw it out the window.

Just when you think you have gone too far, you will find in many cases you have not gone far enough.

Macu
01-24-2006, 07:25 PM
Back to guitar cemetaries...If you really believe it is such a great service to the world to collect guitars,so be it.I have stated my position throughout this thread.It seems that I am in the minority here.No pasa nada.At the end of the day,I prefer to PLAY guitars.Money is not part of the equation.We are simply different.To those that have collections,I ask;why do you have so many guitars?Perhaps you dont have any real nice ones?Perhaps they make you feel good,whereas,without them you feel inadequate.I say "fuck you,you selfish greedy bastards!".I hope you one day "get it" and feel better about yourselves.In the meantime,go look at your cemetary.Imagine the music that will never be realized from these instruments.Oh,thats right,you cant...

Brett
01-24-2006, 07:29 PM
I have 11 guitars, play them all except my '91 pink EVH Music Man, because it's been beat up so I'm trying to at least keep it halfway decent. Haven't touched it in years.

Macu
01-25-2006, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Brett
I have 11 guitars, play them all except my '91 pink EVH Music Man, because it's been beat up so I'm trying to at least keep it halfway decent. Haven't touched it in years.

O.k.,my question:Why?I mean,why 11 guitars?I dont want to repeat myself,only,no one has really been addressing my points.I am not giving you shit,only,trying to understand why you need 11 guitars.Even if you think,"I need a Spanish guitar,electric,acoustic,etc",its still only 5,or,6 guitars.I think people miss the point to some degree about music.Yes,you have the right to do whatever the fuck you want,buuuuuut,I still maintain that if you have so many guitars(and I use the word"you"as in"one")there is some problem.And you have a guitar that you dont play in order to "preserve"it.For what?Play the damn thing and enjoy it.Have fun!

Brett
01-25-2006, 03:49 PM
I play them all, like I said.

I said there is one I don't play anymore because it's beat to hell, and it's rare and valuable, so I'm giving it a break. And no I'm going to destroy it anymore if it's valuable, that's just stupid. Why don't I just take a chainsaw to it, I mean that would be really fun!!!

Also that guitar and I have been through many battles together and he's being retired for his hard and dedicated service.

There is no "reason" to own 11 guitars, I just like collecting them and playing them, I don't buy them to stare at them. I have played them in clubs for years, beat the shit out of them and enjoyed every minute of it.

Macu
01-25-2006, 04:09 PM
I play them all, like I said.

Also that guitar and I have been through many battles together and he's being retired for his hard and dedicated service.

But, Brett, guitars are "girls",like boats.So,SHE is retired for HER hard and dedicated service.Actually,I am fucking with you.I once had an old 442 that I bought off some chick that named it "Jake".It worked.The car was always "Jake".And really,I am playing "Devils Advocate" here.I like guitars too...:)

Brett
01-25-2006, 04:50 PM
He/she, whatever....it's a piece of fucking wood. :)

You had a 442? Cool.

Macu
01-25-2006, 05:41 PM
Yeah,a 69.Slap-stick,455 with "D" heads.Its been a while,man.It was nice for cruisin,buuuuut,for real racing,no.And,yeah,I agree,its just fucking wood,bro...

Brett
01-26-2006, 01:13 AM
Cool man.

MAX
01-26-2006, 04:23 AM
What in the heck does it matter if someone has enough bones to collect whatever they want? I don't really "collect" anything (Well, fuck that cos I have so much Denver Broncos memorabilia, 'tis kind of spooky. lol) but the basic idea 'tis no different than if someone collects stamps or whatever. So someone has an extremely rare and valuable stamp? Is that stamp being "wasted" cos nobody licks it, puts it on an envelope and mails it?

I only have three guitars now, I used to have more but that's just the way it 'tis. I'm bummed that I got rid of any of them but we go through phases in life.

I'm still stoked that I never got rid of my first guitar though. I could never parts with that Strat. I still play it a lot but as I've gotten older, I don't really take it out when I jam with pals just cos I've reached a point where I don't wanna ever risk having it stolen or banged up worse than the wear and tear it's already seen after all of the miles that I've put on it.

Now and as far as "displays" and shit go, I'm currently in the process of taking an old "Frankenstrat" that I threw together back in my teens and making it my main axe that goes everywhere when I play. The funny thing is that it's Lake Placid Blue but now I'm having it stripped and painted to look identical to EVH's. Yeeyas ago, I'd have never wanted a carbon copy cos I wanted to be unique even though the axe was identical to Ed's in every way excluding the finish.

However and now that I'm older, I'm looking forward to both displaying and playing it being painted like Edddie's. It will be a cool convo piece plus it will be a stellar addition to all of the other VH stuff that I have.

All I'm saying is, displaying, playing or whatever. If someone digs guitars, it's a cool thing.

MAX
01-26-2006, 04:32 AM

Hey Brett,

I'm NOT flipping you shit with this so please don't think that's my intention. I'm curious though, what made you buy a pink finish on that particular axe? Honestly, I never knew they came in such a color (outside of an old ad in guitar mags that showed it in almost every color imaginable) and it seems rather odd. Meaning with the wood grain or turtle shell kind of thing going on underneath the color finish.

Do you have a pic of it? I'd like to check it out cos it sounds both extremely unique and rare. :cool:

I remember when those EBMM's came out, I wanted a black one soooo badly but couldn't afford one at the time.

MAX
01-26-2006, 04:45 AM
Originally posted by ELVIS

Hey Elvis,

Speaking of vintage guitars, what's the status report on your Strat?

I'm really curious to see how that one turns out. :cool:

Jimmy Jingles
01-26-2006, 11:21 AM
Most people here would be jealous of my collection. I have been playing for about 18 years now and I have amassed of fucking huge compilation of six-stringers.

Two...count 'em bitches ...two guitars. Both handmade Warmoth creations worth countless millions.

Not one...but two. Jealous yet?

Now I know what you're going to ask me...

"Jimmy Jingles, how did you put together such a fine collection of guitars, and still be the cool ass mofo you are today?"

Well, it takes alot of hard work and determination. Maybe one day you guys will be up to my level, but I seriously doubt it.

This thread can close now.

;)

jhale667
01-26-2006, 01:26 PM
I've got THREE Warmoths...NOW who's jealous? ;)

Jimmy Jingles
01-26-2006, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by jhale667

oh well...it was fun while it lasted.

jackassrock
01-26-2006, 05:48 PM
I have a lot of guitars. Some for experimenting with, some for playing, some for collector value. All of wich will make money for me some day.

It's called Capitalism bitches !!!!!

Meanwhile, I have the luxury of grabbing just about any kind of guitar that I could imagine on my way out the door to play. It feels good. Today I think I'll go with something in the way of a '78 Les Paul Custom.

Good times !

Macu
01-26-2006, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by MAX
What in the heck does it matter if someone has enough bones to collect whatever they want? I don't really "collect" anything (Well, fuck that cos I have so much Denver Broncos memorabilia, 'tis kind of spooky. lol) but the basic idea 'tis no different than if someone collects stamps or whatever.

I find it difficult to compare a stamp to a guitar.Guitars are instuments that can be utilized for their potential on a daily basis.As well,once a stamp(which when it is bought is never expensive,only for post delivery)serves its purpose,and is rendered worthless,except to a collector.Also,as stated earlier in the thread,I am not arguing the "right" to do whatever you want.And,really,I am trying to address the huge vintage collections,not really small personal(possibly sentimental)collections.

So someone has an extremely rare and valuable stamp? Is that stamp being "wasted" cos nobody licks it, puts it on an envelope and mails it?

See above.

I only have three guitars now, I used to have more but that's just the way it 'tis. I'm bummed that I got rid of any of them but we go through phases in life.

I feel for you MAX.Done the same myself.

I'm still stoked that I never got rid of my first guitar though. I could never parts with that Strat. I still play it a lot but as I've gotten older, I don't really take it out when I jam with pals just cos I've reached a point where I don't wanna ever risk having it stolen or banged up worse than the wear and tear it's already seen after all of the miles that I've put on it.

I am happy that Stevie Ray didnt share your attitude.(regarding no.1.

Now and as far as "displays" and shit go, I'm currently in the process of taking an old "Frankenstrat" that I threw together back in my teens and making it my main axe that goes everywhere when I play. The funny thing is that it's Lake Placid Blue but now I'm having it stripped and painted to look identical to EVH's. Yeeyas ago, I'd have never wanted a carbon copy cos I wanted to be unique even though the axe was identical to Ed's in every way excluding the finish.

However and now that I'm older, I'm looking forward to both displaying and playing it being painted like Edddie's. It will be a cool convo piece plus it will be a stellar addition to all of the other VH stuff that I have.

Sounds cool to me.

All I'm saying is, displaying, playing or whatever. If someone digs guitars, it's a cool thing.

I agree.

Macu
01-26-2006, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by jhale667

Me.:)

Macu
01-26-2006, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by Jimmy Jingles
Most people here would be jealous of my collection. I have been playing for about 18 years now and I have amassed of fucking huge compilation of six-stringers.

Two...count 'em bitches ...two guitars. Both handmade Warmoth creations worth countless millions.

Not one...but two. Jealous yet?

Now I know what you're going to ask me...

"Jimmy Jingles, how did you put together such a fine collection of guitars, and still be the cool ass mofo you are today?"

Well, it takes alot of hard work and determination. Maybe one day you guys will be up to my level, but I seriously doubt it.

This thread can close now.

;) :D CLOSE THIS BORING BITCH!:D

Jimmy Jingles
01-27-2006, 02:15 PM
:D CLOSE THIS BORING BITCH!:D

Are you calling me a boring bitch?

If so, call you mother a fat sweaty Sasquatch from me.

If not, well...have a good day.

Nitro Express
01-27-2006, 09:47 PM
It's all relative. In the 1960's the Les Paul Standard and Fender Stratocaster were considered outdated because the so called "new and Improved" SG and Jaguar came along. Maybe that's why guys like Jimmy Hendrix and Jimmy Page used them. They were good guitars and less expensive than the newer models.

The same guys that got attention playing good, less expensive guitars made the guitars they played highly sought after collectors items to the baby boomers in their fan base.

As the baby boomers got older and had more money, they started to pay big bucks for the muscle cars and guitars they lusted over as teenagers.

You have to take the vintage market with a grain of salt. When nobody wanted vintage guitars there weren't that many available. When the price went up, they seemed to be everywhere. You can't convince me that many of these are well done fakes. Even experienced luthiers admit they can tell the difference between a good fake and a real vintage instrument.

If you like to play the things then there are plenty of good new guitars. Not everything vintage is good. I've played plenty of shitty vintage guitars and amps to know.

In fact, I have a new Mexican Strat right now that has the shit. I've done nothing to it and Juan even set it up perfectly. She plays and sounds great! I couldn't be happier.

I say if you play, play a few and grab the one that does the job. Vintage is relative. It might be goo but it might be shit. They made shit in the 1950's too.

rustoffa
01-27-2006, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
Maybe that's why guys like Jimmy Hendrix and Jimmy Page used them. They were good guitars and less expensive than the newer models.

Wonder what Page paid for that Danelectro slide machine?

thome
01-28-2006, 09:57 AM
Ok you Fat Cat Rat Bastards hear it from a Non-Musician..

How can you play the Fuk out of a guitar Shredd up down lil rythm
lil lead round & round sideways back an forth back back an forth
singing strings colors notes flying everywhere.

Then Bamm Splash the MF guitar you played and payed 5000.00
bucks for on the Freekin hardwood ,Fuk pete townsend .

Yeah, its the only way you can get that feedback crash at the end of the gig.(this, in re-reading is the only reason i will accept ,No other way
the guitar must parish for the good of the craft)

A instrument get's better w age smoother more love.

I would consider myself a jag off if at the end of every job i did
i ran over all my tools with my truk.

When i look at that picture of hendrix burning his what is it a strat..?
i get sick with the thought of what it means Burnin your homeland..?

Iv'e busted up a few things in my life out of anger but never the
tool of my trade.
Is it that i just don't get it..? I can't understand the -cathartic release-
Do you miss that guitar? Damn I wish i still had that guitar I wrote
Welcome To The Jungle.... with.?

Something I've allways wanted to Know..............

Life goes on I know but....Is it some final ending so the notes will carry
forever and never be heard again from the extasy this guitar gave
tonight.

Is it the Drugs ..Fly free......If a brother hands you something, He may
look like your brother, but he isn't ,Don't take it !! Don't take it!!

Words of Widom! T.N.U.C. Mark ,sais allrite! I still don't get it!

:confused:

Big Troubles
01-28-2006, 10:25 AM

LOL 11? Last time I checked you can still just play one at a time right? :D Just farking ya.... So you are telling us the only reason you dont play your EVH MusicMan '91 is because its been beaten a bit and you are trying to keep it decent? Its not because it's PINK is it? :D

Ive got 3...In case anyone cares... No one.. I know... :( CC of Les Paul (slammer) and a Ed replica (kramer body 84, fender neck) which i dont play (I hate having 1 single coil pick up) and I just picked up a kramer vanguard, with a reverse headstock. Goes out of tune every time you play! LOL

How much do accordians go for these days?

MAX
01-29-2006, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by Big Troubles
Its not because it's PINK is it?

Did you see the pic of it?

I was surprised cos I couldn't imgine an EBMM with that finish? It actually looks pretty good.

I like pink anyway cos it goes with my eyeliner and lipstick. lol

Nitro Express
01-29-2006, 02:23 AM
Most of Jimmy Pages guitars were second hand ones. His Telecaster and Les Paul Standard he got second hand from Jeff Beck. Nobody wanted Stratocasters untiil Jimmy Hendrix broke onto the scene. The Les Paul had been discontinued and replaced by the SG.

In the 1960's, the Stratocaster and Les Paul Standard were outdated guitars. Hendrix revitalized the Stratocaster and Jimi Page helped spark demand in the old LP again.

Old LP's and Strats are collectable for one reason. Rock ledgends played them and the people who idolized that image want the guitars from that era.

Is the vintage electric guitar market sustainable. who knows. Rock and Roll has only been around for 50 years. Maybe therer won't be the same level of intrest in the classic R&R bands and gear after the baby boomers start kicking off.

Not all instruments get better with age. They warp, rot, split, and the pickups get weak. Not to mention the plastic starts to turn into an oily goo or dust. The binding shrinks.

Yeah, I know tight grained old growth wood is getting harder to find but Fender always used cheap wood. Leo would use Alder or Ash depending on what kind of deal he could get and he would go with the cheapest.

They weren't as crazy about wood grain either. I can show you a basketball court installed in the early 60's that has beautiful flamed and tiger striped maple in some of the planks. the tops of the Gibsons would vary from real plain maple to a flame top just because of the wood but the price was the same.

As far as hardware goes. The early Tune-O-Matic bridges had much to be desired and the Kluson tuning gears could be a pain.

A good modern guitar built out of good modern components will have superior hardware and tuners to a vintage guitar. There's a zillion pickup options available and frankly, you don't have to bust the bank on wood to get a great sounding one. Give me an ash body and a hardrock maple neck and I will go against a guitar made with the most expensive wood.

Some of the best guitar tones in rock history were made on average wood. How many people have tried to nail the old VH tone? Man, Eddie deffinately wasn't smelling corks in the wood dept.

A good guitar needs to be put together properly and set up correctly. I've heard great sounding guitars that were made of graphite composite and had no wood in them. The wood thing gets so overblown. As long as it has good resonance and is in the right range for your tastes, then you will be happy. If it sounds good play it I say.

ashstralia
01-30-2006, 08:15 AM
with ya nitro...

last year i procured a '95 mex tele in absolutely brand spanking
new condition. not a mark on it. it's superb...

an 11 year old brand new guitar!!! a keeper, for sure.

after about 10 gigs, the (plastic) nut broke, so i had my
repair guy put a tusq in.

so yeah, bottom line, the good ones are out there..
half the fun is finding them.

Hardrock69
01-30-2006, 04:08 PM
Most of Jimmy Pages guitars were second hand ones. His Telecaster and Les Paul Standard he got second hand from Jeff Beck.

No.

Les Paul Standard '59

Bought from Joe Walsh, serial number 91703. Head modified to look like a '58 model head. A pair of spring loaded buttons have been attached beneath the lower edge of the scratchplate. One for choosing between pickups in series or parallel, the other allow the choice of ordinary or phased sounds. Regular potentiometers replaced scrapped in favor of two pairs of push/pulls allowing coil-tapping on either pickup and the option of employing all four coils in parallel. Modifications made by Jimmy's recording studio maintenance techy Steve Hoyland.

Brett
01-30-2006, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by Big Troubles
LOL 11? Last time I checked you can still just play one at a time right? :D Just farking ya.... So you are telling us the only reason you dont play your EVH MusicMan '91 is because its been beaten a bit and you are trying to keep it decent? Its not because it's PINK is it? :D

LOL, no I don't care that it's Pink, I'm secure enough in my manhood. It looks mostly red anyway, it's a weird color. It's pretty beat to shit, including having my wife's cat scratch at the finish about 5 years ago, getting some of the clearcoat off. It needed to just be put away...along with putting that fucking cat to sleep. It's not decent anymore.

Nitro Express
02-01-2006, 03:55 AM
I might be mistaken about Jimmy Page's Les Paul but he did get his Telecaster from Jeff Beck. But his main squeeze Les Paul was still a second hand guitar out of production that was considered out of date.

Hardrock69
02-01-2006, 11:46 PM
True. I heard him say in an interview once that Joe sold it to him for $500.

Macu
02-04-2006, 12:35 PM
Are you calling me a boring bitch?

If so, call you mother a fat sweaty Sasquatch from me.

If not, well...have a good day.

No,dude,I was light-heartedly agreeing with the last part of your post to close the thread.I thought the smiley thingys would make it more clear...

Jimmy Jingles
02-06-2006, 11:52 AM
No,dude,I was light-heartedly agreeing with the last part of your post to close the thread.I thought the smiley thingys would make it more clear...

Cool...my bad.

I don't always pay attention to the little smiley thingees.

I suck like that.

Macu
02-13-2006, 07:12 PM
Cool...my bad.

I don't always pay attention to the little smiley thingees.

I suck like that.

No worries,bro...

Macu
02-15-2006, 09:29 AM
O.k.,mofos!Lets say you KNOW you have only one or two years to live.Do you PLAY your precious 60 les paul,or,"preserve" it for whatever reason.I think people are really asleep.Have a good time,ALL the time.-Viv Savage

rustoffa
02-18-2006, 01:26 AM
I can show you a basketball court installed in the early 60's that has beautiful flamed and tiger striped maple in some of the planks.

That's pretty good.