PDA

View Full Version : Va. Tech near verdict on Vick

Fairwrning
01-06-2006, 12:21 PM
http://www.roanoke.com/sports/vtfootball/wb/47267

Comparing it to what Butler did (which was worse) makes me think much won't be done...A game or 2 max...

ALinChainz
01-06-2006, 12:39 PM
From yesterday's Rumor Mill:

TECH TO SUSPEND VICK

According to The Hampton Roads (Va.) Daily Press, Virginia Tech quarterback will be suspended an undetermined number of games, if he returns to the school in 2006.

Tech coach Frank Beamer will meet with Vick and his mother on Friday. If he is unwilling to accept the suspension, his only options are to transfer to another school or turn pro. A transfer to another Division I-A school would require him to sit out an entire season; he could play immediately if he jumps to a Division I-AA institution.

The decision to suspend Vick is the direct result of his conduct during the Gator Bowl on Monday, during which he stomped on the leg of Louisville defensive end Elvis Dumervil while Dumervil was on the ground.

Vick has until January 15 to declare his intent to enter the April draft.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

BigBadBrian
01-06-2006, 04:34 PM
I bet the greedy fucker will turn pro.

Va Beach VH Fan
01-06-2006, 05:42 PM
He's kicked off of the team.....

Good for him....

Fairwrning
01-06-2006, 05:49 PM
EXCELLENT.....spoiled little bastard can drive his Escalade to a div. I-AA school...
Now if the N.F.L will take notice and blackball T.O..all will be well in the universe

Flash Bastard
01-06-2006, 10:00 PM
Yep, he's history.

Fuck him.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls05/news/story?id=2282642

Flash Bastard
01-07-2006, 12:57 AM
ESPN is reporting that Vick plans to enter the NFL draft.

Who would be stupid enough to draft him? I wouldn't want him on my team.

ALinChainz
01-07-2006, 01:07 AM
Think a defensive end would want to take a shot at him?

Hope he's as fast as advertised, he's a marked man already.

Unchainme
01-07-2006, 01:19 AM
I see him being a 3rd-5th round pick. Defintly not a 1st-2nd like he would have been had he not pulled this and previous other stunts

Brett
01-07-2006, 03:16 AM
He and Maurice Clarett should hang out.

POJO_Risin
01-07-2006, 12:17 PM
I can't fathom ANYONE would draft him...

maybe the fucking raiders...

Fairwrning
01-07-2006, 12:59 PM
I think he'll get a look ......but will never start a game or last more than a year or 2..
Remember Bryan Randall??

exactly..

Fairwrning
01-07-2006, 01:03 PM
On talent alone..the guy had a chance...but the attitude is just unreal...

Fairwrning
01-07-2006, 01:10 PM
One last word on this...THIS is why I am a Tech fan...proud Hokie fan...winning is good but integrity is more important..hats off to Beamer and University president Steger

University President Charles Steger Statement on Marcus Vick

January 6, 2006

Virginia Tech quarterback Marcus Vick has been permanently dismissed from the Hokie football program due to a cumulative effect of legal infractions and unsportsmanlike play.

Virginia Tech had suspended Vick in 2004. The university provided one last opportunity for Vick to become a citizen of the university and re-admitted him in January 2005, with the proviso that any future problems would result in automatic dismissal from the team.

Head Football Coach Frank Beamer met with Vick and his mother this afternoon and informed the quarterback and his family of the University's decision. His recent actions are unfortunate and we wish him well in his future endeavors.

Said Coach Frank Beamer, "I'm very disappointed that this didn't have a better ending. We wanted what's best for this football team and Marcus. I certainly wish him the best."

ALinChainz
01-07-2006, 01:12 PM
He's a jail sentence waiting to happen.

Quite a laundry list already ... teenage girls, etc.

Fairwrning
01-07-2006, 01:17 PM
I can easily see him 2 years from now..pulled over with 2 lbs. of weed in the trunk..

POJO_Risin
01-07-2006, 01:34 PM
He's going to ask his mother and brother to decide on what he's going to do...

yeah...

right...

ALinChainz
01-07-2006, 01:37 PM
Marcus: "What should I do Mike?"

Mike: "First of all, you better get used to calling me Ron .. get the hint?"

POJO_Risin
01-07-2006, 01:40 PM
Maybe he'll start booking the hos...for his brutha...

ALinChainz
01-07-2006, 01:46 PM
I still have to believe he's a first day selection ... not first round ... but someone will be the team to "change" him.

POJO_Risin
01-07-2006, 01:58 PM
Not after Clarett...

I say a day 2...or a no draft...

the guy has a 10 cent head...

unless Atlanta deals Schaub...and drafts him...

I could see that happen...

although they'd be morons...

Va Beach VH Fan
01-07-2006, 03:43 PM
Kiper is predicting between 5th to 7th round....

POJO_Risin
01-07-2006, 03:47 PM
Kiper is a homo...

I know I wouldn't draft him...

of course...I COULD draft him...

and my fucking flag football team would be badass...

especially after he spiked Shad "Big Daddy" Connely...the best player in the flag football team...

DrMaddVibe
01-07-2006, 03:47 PM
The Lions will draft him.

He's the "complete" fit for the team!

POJO_Risin
01-07-2006, 03:48 PM
lmfao...now that would be funny...the one guy I'd take Harrington over...

DrMaddVibe
01-07-2006, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin
lmfao...now that would be funny...the one guy I'd take Harrington over...

God damn you!

How the fuck do you clean India Pale Ale out of a keyboard and off of a screen?:D

Bob_R
01-07-2006, 11:20 PM
This Vick guy sounds like he's a dirtbag just like his brother.

Va Beach VH Fan
01-08-2006, 09:58 AM
Well, in all fairness, if he would have been enrolled at Miami or Free Shoes Univ., he'd just be one of the boys....

VA Tech had been trying to portray themselves as one of the "clean" schools, i.e. Penn State, Ohio State, Notre Dame, etc....

DrMaddVibe
01-08-2006, 11:45 AM
Notre Dame...clean?

BAWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!!!!!

DrMaddVibe
01-08-2006, 11:47 AM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0671899384/qid=1136738806/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/104-4287400-4692736?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

Editorial Reviews
From Booklist
Because it was not available in galley form, this controversial expos{‚}e of corruption in the Notre Dame football program was not available for early review in Upfront. However, Notre Dame grad and devoted Irish football fan Will Manley has his say on the book in this issue's Manley Arts. See p.219. Bill Ott--This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

Book Description
"Under the Tarnished Dome" is the bestselling book that rocked the Notre Dame football program. Don Yaeger and Douglas S. Looney investigate the contrast between the Notre Dame image--that of a place where wins on the field are no more important than the integrity off it--and the Notre Dame football program's reality, with trash talking, rampant steroid use, pregame fights, and academic misconduct. Part history and part investigative journalism--the authors interviewed 150 people for this book, including nearly 100 former Notre Dame football players--this is a stunning indictment of the school's administration and especially of present-day Notre Dame football coach Lou Holtz.

DrMaddVibe
01-08-2006, 11:54 AM
Ohio State? Nope!

http://espn.go.com/classic/biography/s/Hayes_Woody.html

Hayes produced champions, controversy
By Alex Fineman
Special to ESPN.com

"When you see a guy ripping up sideline markers, you think he's a maniac. When you see a guy punching that kid in the Gator Bowl, you think he's nuts. But he's not. We're talking about the most awesome coach in the history of college football," says former Ohio State player Tom Skladany about Woody Hayes on ESPN Classic's SportsCentury series.

Woody Hayes was a raging perfectionist, a prisoner of his own famously volatile temper, a military history buff who coached football like Patton soldiered GIs. He produced champions and controversy in equal lots. He turned Ohio State into a perennial powerhouse, winning three national championships and 13 Big Ten titles in his 28 seasons there.

He favored an unrelenting ground attack that crushed opponents, who in turn weren't sure whom to fear most, the Buckeye steamroller or the combustible man who directed it.

"I'm not trying to win a popularity poll," he said. "I'm trying to win football games."

That he did -- 205 of them at Ohio State, against just 68 defeats and 10 ties.

For venting purposes, an empty water jug was usually on his desk, within easy reaching distance when he needed something to hurl. Spare jugs were usually handy, for that supply was always in danger of running out well before his temper did.

"The Old Man," as he became known, said, "The minute I think I'm getting mellow, I'm retiring. Who ever heard of a mellow winner?"

Hayes' temper ultimately got the best of him, and he never had the chance to retire mellow. In the 1978 Gator Bowl, after a late Clemson interception sealed Ohio State's loss, Hayes erupted. He punched the Clemson defender who picked off the pass.

There was a firestorm of criticism across the country, and embarrassed university leaders were forced to take action. Hayes was fired the next day. He never coached another game.

Ironically, Wayne Woodrow Hayes came into the world on Valentine's Day in 1913. He was born in Clifton, Ohio, to Wayne and Effie Hayes, and was raised in Newcomerstown, Ohio. There, Hayes became intertwined with the game of football.

He played center for the high school team. From there he moved on to Denison University in Granville, Ohio, where he continued his playing career. After graduating in 1935 with a B.A. in English and history, Hayes became an assistant coach at Mingo Junction High School in Ohio that fall. He remained there for two seasons before moving to New Philadelphia High School, also in Ohio, as an assistant coach there. While at New Philadelphia, he met Anne, the woman who would become his wife.

In 1938, Hayes was promoted to head coach at New Philadelphia. Three years later, he enlisted in the United States Navy, where he developed a passion for military history.

Hayes saw combat duty in the Pacific and finished his tour as a lieutenant commander in 1946. He returned to his alma mater and he coached Denison for three seasons, including back-to-back undefeated years (9-0 and 8-0) in 1947 and 1948. Twenty-six years later, Hayes was honored for his contributions to the football program as a member of the first class inducted into the Denison Athletic Hall of Fame.

At 36, he became head coach at Miami of Ohio. In Hayes' first season, in 1949, the Redskins went 5-4. The next year, Miami tore off an eight-game winning streak, capping its 9-1 campaign with a 34-21 victory over Arizona State in the Salad Bowl.

One player on this team, Bo Schembechler, went on to become an assistant under Hayes at Ohio State, and then coach at Miami and later at Hayes' fiercest rival, Michigan.

After this outstanding 1950 season, Hayes was invited to join the big time by Ohio State in February 1951. The university was known as the "graveyard of coaches," having had five in the previous 11 years. But Hayes would soon change that.

Accepting the Buckeyes' head coaching job, he said, "I'm not coming here looking for security. I came here for the opportunity."

In his first year the Buckeyes had trouble adapting to the T-formation that Hayes preferred, and finished with a 4-3-2 record. The next season, however, Ohio State improved to 6-3. More importantly, the team snapped an eight-year losing streak against Michigan, a victory that endeared Hayes to the Buckeye fans.

In 1953, Ohio State finished with the same 6-3 record even though its starting quarterback, John Borton, suffered a season-ending injury in the third game. Hayes came away from the campaign a strong believer in a powerful running game, and the smash mouth style of football -- what he called "three yards and a cloud of dust" -- became his trademark.

Hayes also began to view the pass as something not to be trusted. "There are three things that can happen when you pass, and two of them ain't good," he said.

The next season, Hayes and the Buckeyes ran all the way to a national championship. The 1954 team beat Southern Cal, 20-7, in the Rose Bowl to finish at 10-0. Part of the reason for Hayes' success was his accelerating integration into his team, a practice he continued throughout his career.

From 1955-58, the Buckeyes racked up another national championship (1957), a Big Ten record 17 consecutive victories (1955-56), and a Heisman Trophy winner (Hopalong Cassady, in 1955). On the down side, in 1956 the Big 10 placed Ohio State on one-year probation for paying some players for work they didn't do.

In 1959, Hayes suffered through his worst season at Ohio State at 3-5-1. He would have only one other losing season (1966).

Many consider his 1968 team Hayes' greatest. That squad routed Michigan, 50-14, and came from behind to beat Southern Cal, 27-16, in the Rose Bowl, earning Hayes his third -- and final -- national championship. The title came amid a 22-game winning streak.

In June 1974, Hayes suffered a heart attack but recovered in time to be on the sidelines for the season opener. Later that season, Michigan State beat Ohio State to spoil the Buckeyes' bid for an unbeaten season.

"I wanted that undefeated season more than anything I ever wanted in my life," he said. "I'd give anything -- my house, my bank account, anything but my wife and family -- to get it."

His reign as the Old Man of Ohio State football ended after the Gator Bowl on Dec. 28, 1978. With the Buckeyes trailing 17-15 late in the fourth quarter, Clemson noseguard Charlie Bauman made an improbable interception -- the first and only one of his career. He ran out of bounds onto the Ohio State sideline, where he met a sudden punch from the 65-year-old coach. The next morning, Hayes was fired.

In 1979, columnist Red Smith looked back on Hayes' career and wrote, "Evidently nobody in authority realized that a full-grown man who attached such importance to a game was, at best, immature, not to say a case of arrested development. The saddest part of the whole affair is that nobody at Ohio State saw the denouement approaching and protected Hayes from himself."

He is remembered as much or more for his outburst on national television as for his career accomplishments. Hayes, whose 238-72-10 lifetime coaching record is one of the best in NCAA history, was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame on Dec. 6, 1983.

On March 12, 1987, a heart attack claimed the Old Man. He went to his grave never having apologized for his actions in that fateful Gator Bowl. His headstone in Union Cemetery in Columbus reads, "And in the night of death, hope sees a star, and listening love hears the rustle of a wing."

DrMaddVibe
01-08-2006, 11:55 AM
Face it...they're ALL guilty of something.

Nobody is Snow White anymore!

ALinChainz
01-08-2006, 12:03 PM
This incident obviously forced his hand. I truly think Vick would have returned for another year to increase his draft status, with Lineart and Young coming out.

Va Beach VH Fan
01-08-2006, 03:32 PM
You're right in that no university can be perfect in it's recruiting...

Let's face it, when you hundreds of kids, and probably half of them have some sort of criminal record, odds are that eventually, they'll be in trouble in college...

OSU and ND, irregardless of your links, are two of the cleaner programs...

I also notice you didn't have a link for Penn State though.... ;)

scamper
01-09-2006, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by EVH FANATIC
This Vick guy sounds like he's a dirtbag just like his brother.

why is his brother a dirtbag?