PDA

View Full Version : TX Utiilty To Offer Hi-Speed Internet Over Power Lines

Hardrock69
01-07-2006, 02:36 AM
1-6-6

DALLAS (AP) The utility TXU Corp. said Monday it will offer high-speed Internet service over power lines to several million Texans as part of a $150 million project aimed at improving its ability to monitor the power grid.

The "smart grid" buildout will enable what would be the nation's largest broadband-over-power line Internet rollout. The 10-year partnership with Current Communications Group Inc., a privately held company in Germantown, Md., is not, however, expected to yield residential Internet service until the second half of 2006.

Once completed, the grid will let TXU check meter consumption remotely and pinpoint problems before they become major blackouts.

TXU spokesman Chris Schein said Internet access was secondary to the smart grid capabilities.

"We really believe that what end users are going to appreciate is when the spring storms hit and they don't have an outage," he said. "Or if they do have an outage, it's not as long as it was."

Construction on the smart grid system will begin early next year along TXU's 14,000 miles of transmission lines and 100,000 miles of distribution lines.

The deal gives Current access to more than 2 million business and residential customers, mostly in the Dallas-Fort Worth area.

Proponents say broadband-over-power line technology, or BPL, could be especially significant for rural areas, where high-speed Internet access has lagged due to the higher costs to telecommunications and cable companies of serving sparsely populated areas.

Though pricing and download speeds haven't been finalized, Current vice president Jay Birnbaum expects to compete directly with cable and DSL providers. BPL moves data at roughly the same speeds as cable or DSL lines.

Current's only existing widespread availability is through Cinergy Corp. in Cincinnati, where it charges between $20 to $45 monthly for Internet speeds of up to 3 megabits per second. Birnbaum wouldn't provide subscriber numbers but said the service was available to about 50,000 customers in Ohio.

Current, which counts Google Inc. and The Hearst Corp. among major investors, has smaller pilot projects in Hawaii, Maryland and Southern California.

Most BPL offerings remain in the test phase, said Alan R. Shark, executive director of the Washington-based Broadband Over Power Lines Industry Association. One of the current largest rollouts is in Manassas, Va., where 850 subscribers have signed up since the municipal utility began offering BPL in October.

Shares of Dallas-based TXU Corp. were down $1.49 to close at $52.09 in trading on the New York Stock Exchange. Shares have ranged from $30.22 to $58.29 in the past year.

Panamark
11-17-2009, 09:44 PM
Thats extremely cool !

Im using ethernet adaptors in my house which utilizes the houses power
cables (And it works greatl), I often wondered why wouldnt they do this over all power
lines ? You would effectively then be able to have all utilities (power/phone/internet)
coming via the grid. I like it !

If successful the big telcos could feasibly vanish.

Dr. Love
11-17-2009, 10:02 PM
Why am I just hearing of this now

FUCKING WHY

Probably cause that shit don't work very well

FORD
11-17-2009, 10:20 PM
Anything that eventually would represent a reasonable alternative to Comca$t would be much appreciated.... though I'd be a little nervous about the electrical wiring in my current residence. All my electronics are connected through the surge protectors, but some of the other things I've plugged directly into outlets, like electric toothbrushes and other things with small motors have just up and died for seemingly no reason.

Dr. Love
11-17-2009, 10:23 PM
this article is almost 4 years old

FORD
11-17-2009, 11:29 PM
Well then..... do they have the system up and running in Texas yet? ;)

Dr. Love
11-17-2009, 11:37 PM
that's my point ... I've never heard of it.

Panamark
11-17-2009, 11:48 PM
The ones that use your household power are physically isolated,
like a transformer if you like, although Im thinking they probably
use opto couplers in these ones. The technology works well at
this level. One restriction I know of is you are limited to the
length of cabling at which they work over. That would be
the obvious hurdle if they were looking to do it over hundreds
of miles of existing power cable.

The technology is good, works well, but perhaps when they
started getting into it they found out it was going to cost
a shitload more to do properly than first projected.
(Dont want another Enron !!)

Seshmeister
11-18-2009, 01:02 AM
It doesn't work very well and is expensive. Typically people are getting offered 256k which in this day in age is shitty.

They have to wire up the substations and then put in amplifiers every mile from there to the home.

As I understand it in the US you would be better looking at satellite broadband.

This is a serious issue for the US with it's population spread out more than other industrialized countries. A lot of the economy is going to be virtual. People can form companies over the internet and work together irrespective of their location.

For example I have a guy working for me in Virginia and another in Sweden. I know that I can nearly always find the guy in Sweden online when I need him whereas the guy in Virginia has to rent an office in the nearest town to his house and works there during office hours because there is no broadband access in his area.

That makes him doubly unattractive as this office space has to be paid for and he is less flexible.

I see people complaining about the US government putting a few billion into improving this infrastructure and have to shake my head about your spending priorities again.

Another 3 stealth bombers or trying to address a serious fucking economic problem?

http://media.economist.com/images/20090523/CIN498.gif

Plus the more people you have working from home the less gas you need so better for the environment, trade deficit, oil wars etc

twonabomber
11-18-2009, 06:34 AM
satellite internet is stupid expensive and has heavy usage limits.

a couple people at work live so far out that they use cellular internet, but they say it's not so great.

Panamark
11-18-2009, 08:14 AM
Satellite is good as long as the sky is clear ;)

Hardrock69
11-18-2009, 08:21 AM
Both Satellite AND Cellular should not even be called broadband.

Cellular plans generally have such severe bandwidth caps they do not allow you to upload or download files, and satellite is not much different. In both cases, when you go over their tight-fisted bandwidth caps, they charge you money for every gigabyte you download over the cap, will cap your speed down to almost dialup, and pretty much ask way to much money for the crappy service they provide.

Little Texan
11-18-2009, 08:35 PM
Well then..... do they have the system up and running in Texas yet? ;)

Not in my neck of the woods they don't! I'm still on fucking dialup!

ELVIS
11-18-2009, 08:49 PM
At least you don't need to invest in a tinfiol hat yet...;)

VanHalenFan5150
11-18-2009, 09:00 PM
At least you don't need to invest in a tinfiol hat yet...;)

They're used with communicating with aliens, not teh interwebz d00d.
:tongue0011:

Unless you consider the trolls here aliens.