PDA

View Full Version : Queensryche Vs Nirvana

PHOENIX
01-07-2006, 07:08 AM
Who do you think was the greatest band that came out of Seattle?

My bets on Nirvana.

Queensryche is a one hit wonder and Nirvana changed the face music forever.

Mr Badguy
01-07-2006, 07:37 AM
I`ve got to go with Queensryche.

They`re more than a one hit wonder, surely a tag that fits Nirvana better.

They`ve tried to progress, although their fanbase (I would say more-than-not their casual fans) won`t let them.

"Operation:Mindcrime" is a huge millstone, as is any band`s best known album, and they have been very brave to stay awway from another concept piece (until now).

Anybody who digs deeper into their catologue will find albums just as good, if not better than OM, particularly "Rage for order", "Empire" and "Promised land".

Nirvana did make some good music although I don`t really find it as groundbreaking or world changing as some people think.

Like punk, I think grunge was pushed on by music journalists sick of kissing rock stars asses and wanting to be scenesetters themselves.

Also like punk, there are very few of those records worth a damn.

It would be interesting to see Nirvana would they would be doing today had Kurt not shot himself.

Making "Nevermind 2" maybe?

PHOENIX
01-07-2006, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by Mr Badguy
I`ve got to go with Queensryche.

They`re more than a one hit wonder, surely a tag that fits Nirvana better.

They`ve tried to progress, although their fanbase (I would say more-than-not their casual fans) won`t let them.

"Operation:Mindcrime" is a huge millstone, as is any band`s best known album, and they have been very brave to stay awway from another concept piece (until now).

Anybody who digs deeper into their catologue will find albums just as good, if not better than OM, particularly "Rage for order", "Empire" and "Promised land".

Nirvana did make some good music although I don`t really find it as groundbreaking or world changing as some people think.

Like punk, I think grunge was pushed on by music journalists sick of kissing rock stars asses and wanting to be scenesetters themselves.

Also like punk, there are very few of those records worth a damn.

It would be interesting to see Nirvana would they would be doing today had Kurt not shot himself.

Making "Nevermind 2" maybe?

This is perhaps the best post in this thread!

LOL

NATEDOG001976
01-07-2006, 08:47 AM
I like Nirvana, But I think Alice In Chains is the best Seattle band!

PHOENIX
01-07-2006, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by NATEDOG001976
I like Nirvana, But I think Alice In Chains is the best Seattle band!

What about Heart?

Theres nothing sexier than a couple of broads singing about anal sex.:D

DrMaddVibe
01-07-2006, 09:57 AM
I'll take Soundgarden.

LoungeMachine
01-07-2006, 11:52 AM
QR are far from a one-hit wonder, but technically came from the suburbs of Bellevue, not Seattle.

Just as Nirvana actually formed in Aberdeen, far south of Seattle.

So if you're going more by Seattle Area, per se......well then it all began and ended with James Marshall Hendrix, did it not?

Followed by The Kingsmen, which put 3 chord Rock and Roll on the map.

That takes care of the Seattle 60's

The 70's in Seattle brought Heart. Not much else.

The 80's brought QR, AIC, Mother Love Bone, and Nirvana, although the latter two are more associated with the 90's sound.

Soundgarden, Tad, Screaming Trees, The Posies, Mudhoney, Green River / Pearl Jam, and a slew of others.

I don't think you can possible choose between 2 artists from Seattle, as each decade brought out a different sound, look, and emotions......

We've been a hotbed since we gave you Bing Crosby for Christ's sake.

Why not just acknowledge and thank our area for DECADES of wonderful music.

And if you're ever in town, check out EMP.

-LM

Matt White
01-07-2006, 12:10 PM
NIRVANA.....

Though I agree....AIC is superior

Unchainme
01-07-2006, 12:16 PM
Jimi Hendrix is the gratest person Seattle has given the world musically. He has influenced everybody who has ever picked up a guitar after 1967. Seattle, Detroit, Los Angeles, and New York seem to be the places where the gratest bands in the US are created. Love AIC, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Heart, Pearl Jam and Especially Jimi. Thanks Seattle please cuntinue to make kick ass bands, we really need them about now.

Unchainme
01-07-2006, 12:20 PM
http://www.ieatrice.com/images/smix.jpg

"I Like Big Butts And I cannot Lie"

I'm kinda suprised No ones mentioned Sir Mix-a-lot yet lol.

Golden AWe
01-07-2006, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
I'll take Soundgarden.

Yesss.

Unchainme
01-07-2006, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Matt White
NIRVANA.....

Though I agree....AIC is superior

I love the Av, Matt. :)

DavidLeeNatra
01-07-2006, 01:30 PM
don't like them both...

FORD
01-07-2006, 04:20 PM
The so called "Seattle Scene" is a myth....

Hendrix didn't get famous until he moved to London.

Heart were from the Eastside, but had to move to Vancouver before they made it.

Nirvana is from Aberdeen, by way of Montesano, Olympia, and Tacoma, before they ever hit Seattle.

Screaming Trees were from fucking Ellensburg. That's on the other side of the goddamned mountains.

And those guys who started as half of Green River and became Mother Love Bone didn't really become famous until they got some surfer dude from San Diego and changed their name to Mookie Blayloch.... er uh I mean Pearl Jam.

So if you want to be that way, I guess you can call REM a "Seattle band" as well. Peter Buck's lived there for years, as well as the extra musicians who they tour with. And Michael Stipe used to hang out in the region often. Ironically enough, I heard he was here in Olympia one weekend while I was out of town. The ironic part is that I heard about this in an Ellensburg record store owned by members of Screaming Trees.

Whatever...... fuck all the labels and shit. What it comes down to is whether music is good or not.

And Queensryche & Nirvana are simply two great fucking bands. Regardless of where they come from.

Loons The Great
01-07-2006, 05:23 PM
Were the Sonics from Seattle? The band?

FORD
01-07-2006, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Loons The Great
Were the Sonics from Seattle? The band?

Hell yeah! Can't forget the Sonics.

Possibly the world's first true garage-punk band.

DrMaddVibe
01-07-2006, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by FORD
Possibly the world's first true garage-punk band.

MC5!!!!!!!!!!

Matt White
01-07-2006, 06:54 PM
MC5!!!!!!!!!!

"I done Kicked 'em out!!!"

DrMaddVibe
01-07-2006, 07:45 PM
Fuck YEAH!!!!!!

FORD
01-07-2006, 10:20 PM
MC5!!!!!!!!!!

Nope. But they were probably the second. And the Stooges a close third.

DeadOrAlive
01-08-2006, 02:49 AM
Oh if you're going to go punk here... Dead Boys were great, even though they were NY. UK Subs were priceless, coming out of Egland, also The Damned. New York Dolls appeared on the scene here and they've influenced COUNTLESS bands even up to today. Sham 69, another one from England, had their highs and lows too. Old School Punk Rock is the way to go.

DeadOrAlive
01-08-2006, 02:49 AM
SORRY ABOUT THAT. Going a little off topic. Of the two, probably Nirvana. Dont like either of them really, but Nirvana was the better of the two.

PHOENIX
01-08-2006, 09:45 AM
Wow these posts have opened my eyes. All th eother bands mentioned in here are way better than Queenryche! :D

mako_kimura
01-08-2006, 06:59 PM
I'll have to go with with Queensryche, since they have a lot more talent when it comes to musicianship (i.e. better guitars and vocals)

Unchainme
01-08-2006, 07:26 PM
http://img.sheezyart.com/medium/51/514342.jpg

I found this somewhere, I think I'm tending to start to agree with this, I mean Nirvana sounds like a Beatles/Sex Pistols Hybred. Cobain is starting to become a legend in song writing, Much like lennon had a wife that probably broke up the band (Courtney Probably Murdered Him.). And Grohl has had two succesfull bands much like lennon.

Diver Down NJ
01-09-2006, 10:31 AM
Queensryche over Nirvana, easy. Nirvana = most overrated band evah!

DLR_EngineRoom
01-09-2006, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by PHOENIX
Who do you think was the greatest band that came out of Seattle?

My bets on Nirvana.

Queensryche is a one hit wonder and Nirvana changed the face music forever.

I'll go with Queensryche. They were only a 'one hit wonder' to pop fluff MTV and MuchMusic.

More like a 'One Album Wonder' with 'Empire'. Still, 'Empire' kicks Nirvana's asses on anything they've ever put out. Period.

sammysucks65
01-10-2006, 03:41 PM
queensryche, i mean they are cool enough to tour with priest so yeea they rock

ALinChainz
01-10-2006, 04:12 PM
Queensryche: Rage for Order, Mindcrime, Empire ... all great albums.

Virtually a standoff, but imo, QR gets the nod ...

and both fall in behind AIC anyway I sayyyyyy .... :D

rustoffa
01-10-2006, 10:46 PM
This is a loaded thread....I'm gonna go with Queensryche based on the Tate looking like The Rock thread.
:)

LoungeMachine
01-11-2006, 12:10 AM
French Vanilla or Tutti Fruity

Mocha Almond Fudge or Pistachio

Razzle Berry or Cookie Dough

I say fuck it. Gimme all 31 Flavors, and the cute blonde behind the counter while you're at it.

HOW CAN YOU COMPARE/CHOOSE BETWEEN ROCK BANDS??????

Can anyone imagine being forced to listen to only ONE band the rest of your life?

And no, not even CVH, you snot nosed little scyophants.

WHY DO YOU THINK GOD INVENTED JUKE BOXES??????????????

Unchainme
01-11-2006, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
French Vanilla or Tutti Fruity

Mocha Almond Fudge or Pistachio

Razzle Berry or Cookie Dough

I say fuck it. Gimme all 31 Flavors, and the cute blonde behind the counter while you're at it.

HOW CAN YOU COMPARE/CHOOSE BETWEEN ROCK BANDS??????

Can anyone imagine being forced to listen to only ONE band the rest of your life?

And no, not even CVH, you snot nosed little scyophants.

WHY DO YOU THINK GOD INVENTED JUKE BOXES??????????????

Have to agree with you on that lounger, I'm a huge fan of a lot music genres, Grunge, Hair Metal, 70's Funk, 80's-90's Rap, 80's Pop, Thrash Metal.. I like just about everything ESCEPT today's music scene which to me is not very good and limited to 3 types of bands (Emo-Metal, Hip-Pop, and Bubblegum pop.).

Mr Badguy
01-11-2006, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by Unchainme
Have to agree with you on that lounger, I'm a huge fan of a lot music genres, Grunge, Hair Metal, 70's Funk, 80's-90's Rap, 80's Pop, Thrash Metal.. I like just about everything ESCEPT today's music scene which to me is not very good and limited to 3 types of bands (Emo-Metal, Hip-Pop, and Bubblegum pop.).

Amen to that, Brudda.

jero
01-11-2006, 08:00 AM
It's a difficult one....I would say......they both suck!

Loons The Great
01-14-2006, 04:03 PM
Grunge sucks! Hair metal FORVER, dudes. Mullet rock rules! Cobain was like Julian Lennon, not John Lennon, motherfuckers!! Grunge sucks! I hope their flannel shirts get caught in woodchippers.