PDA

View Full Version : Howard Stern Makes Debut on Satellite

Hardrock69
01-09-2006, 10:37 AM
By ERIN CARLSON, Associated Press Writer 2 minutes ago

NEW YORK - Howard Stern began his new satellite radio show on Monday by putting to rest rumors that he got married to his longtime girlfriend, model
Beth Ostrosky $B!=(B in a comment complete with a federally banned expletive.

"I am not married. It's a nice feeling that we get along great. We're very happy and I don't want to (blank) it up," said Stern, who is finally free of government decency laws on Sirius Satellite Radio.

Stern has promised everything from stripper poles to live sex on his new show. His deal could be worth up to $500 million over five years to headline two Sirius channels.

At the start of the show Monday, Stern dished up some phone sex with Playboy bunny Heidi Cortez, who has her own phone-sex nighttime show lined up on Sirius.

Stern also introduced
George Takei as his new on-air personality. Takei, who played Sulu on "Star Trek" and who last year publicly said he is gay, will serve as announcer. After the first week, he will record segments for the show but will not be in the studio.

"The revolution has begun" in new radio, Takei said Monday.

Even before his first day on the job, the shock jock recruited listeners for the $13-per-month service: Its audience expanded from 600,000 to 2.2 million subscribers after Stern announced his switch last year.

That's hardly a surprise. Stern's wildly popular syndicated show proved a cash cow for Infinity Broadcasting, raking in about $100 million in annual advertising revenues and capturing 12 million listeners with raunchy, boundary-pushing programming.

Stern had frequently tested and sparred with the regulatory
Federal Communications Commission during his 25-year run on the public airwaves, often having his morning show interrupted by censors.

Weeks after
Janet Jackson's Super Bowl "wardrobe malfunction," Clear Channel yanked Stern from six stations amid an FCC crackdown. Stern signed with Sirius five months later.

"I thought Clear Channel and companies like that were going to fight the FCC," Stern, 51, told the Associated Press last month. "I kept hanging around. And they never fought back. ... They are cowards. They bow, and they deserve to be destroyed."

On Monday, caller after caller wished Stern luck $B!=(B and he reacted with annoyance.

"I've been doing years and years of shows but I get irritated when people wish me luck," he said. "You should have wished me luck 25 years ago."

Stern broadcast his last FM radio show on Dec. 16 as thousands of fans gathered outside his New York City studio.

Hardrock69
01-09-2006, 10:42 AM
Someone is eventually gonna post Howard's shows somewhere on the net.

I for one, would dig having his first show at least.

Mr. Vengeance
01-09-2006, 11:44 AM
It was well worth my $12.99 per month. Sirius all-around is worth it. George Takai kicked ASS! He and Artie were on fire!

bueno bob
01-09-2006, 01:16 PM
I like Howard as much as the next guy, I guess, but I'm not going to bust out with another $13.99 a month just to listen to him...he's not that amusing to me.

Nickdfresh
01-09-2006, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
It was well worth my $12.99 per month. Sirius all-around is worth it. George Takai kicked ASS! He and Artie were on fire!

I'm listening to the MP3 of it right now, and I have to say, eeeeh, it's okay. But not worth the $13 a month, not to mention the clunky satellite gear...

Mr. Vengeance
01-09-2006, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
I'm listening to the MP3 of it right now, and I have to say, eeeeh, it's okay. But not worth the $13 a month, not to mention the clunky satellite gear...

Don't forget the 12.99 a month is for all the channels, not just Howard. Since I got my radio, I haven't listened to regular radio at all.

Hardrock69
01-09-2006, 04:56 PM
Since I almost never listen to radio, I just want to hear Howard uncensored.

I get XM Radio for free through DirecTV.

Why the fuck did DaveTV pick XM over Sirius? Fucking bastards....
:mad: