PDA

View Full Version : Lars talks Nirvana

PHOENIX
04-03-2004, 05:09 PM
LARS ON KURT
From the latest issue of NME Magazine. Lars Ulrich: "In 1991 there was a kind of shift in rock music in America - it was shifting away from all the hair bands in LA. And with Kurt Cobain you felt you were connecting to the real person, not to a perception of who he was - you were not connecting to an image or a manufactured cut-out. You felt that between you and him there was nothing; it was heart-to-heart. There are very few people who have that ability.
"I never met him but our guitarist Kirk Hammett had a relationship with him. We were doing this tour with Guns N' Roses in the US in 1992 and we wanted Nirvana to come out and join us. Kirk asked Kurt, but while Cobain said he would play with Metallica anywhere in the world, at any time, on any stage, he would not step up on the same stage as Guns N' Roses - obviously he felt that Axl was the antithesis to what he was.

"As I said, I never met Kurt, and he's probably the only guy in rock'n'roll that I have never met that I really wanted to - other than Bon Scott maybe. What a sad thing we can't hear the fourth Nirvana album. It would have been so great to be able to see how that would have evolved."

PHOENIX
04-03-2004, 05:11 PM
I guess Dave Grohl doesnt feel the same way about GnR. He attended a private show that Velvet Revolver did last may. Where Slash and friends played a cover of Negative Creep.

Dr. Love
04-03-2004, 05:49 PM
I think the animosity was toward Axl, not the others.

FORD
04-03-2004, 10:17 PM
Kurt didn't have much use for bigotry of any kind. That GNR song "One In A Million" could pass for a KKK national anthem, so that probably had something to do with it.

PHOENIX
04-03-2004, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by FORD
Kurt didn't have much use for bigotry of any kind. That GNR song "One In A Million" could pass for a KKK national anthem, so that probably had something to do with it.

Ya but what Axl sings about in that song has come across everybody's mind at one time or another.

FORD
04-03-2004, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by PHOENIX
Ya but what Axl sings about in that song has come across everybody's mind at one time or another.

And the town where Kurt grew up (Aberdeen) was full of them. That's another reason why he hated bigots.

Golden AWe
04-04-2004, 09:37 AM
LARS ON KURT
our guitarist Kirk Hammett had a relationship with him

Considering Hammett and his gay style, this sentence sounds like they slept together

David Van Via
04-22-2004, 09:54 AM
Yeah Kurt did not like Axl at all. There was one time when where NIRVANA and G'n'R where playing at the same festival and Axl told Kurt, "tell your bitch to shut up". Kurt simply replied "Shut up bitch".

Golden AWe
04-22-2004, 12:49 PM
What a sad thing we can't hear the fourth Nirvana album. It would have been so great to be able to see how that would have evolved."

Bleach, Nevermind, Incesticide, In Utero...isn't that four studio albums?:confused:

DLR_EngineRoom
04-22-2004, 04:37 PM
I guess Dave Grohl doesnt feel the same way about GnR. He attended a private show that Velvet Revolver did last may. Where Slash and friends played a cover of Negative Creep.

Nobody ever had a problem with The BAND of G 'n' R, it was AXL that no one could stand.

DLRismydad
04-24-2004, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by David Van Via
Yeah Kurt did not like Axl at all. There was one time when where NIRVANA and G'n'R where playing at the same festival and Axl told Kurt, "tell your bitch to shut up". Kurt simply replied "Shut up bitch".

Actually that incident took place at the 1992 mtv video awards whn Kurt and Courteney got in a confrontation with Axl and his then girlfriend Stephanie Seymour.

rustoffa
04-24-2004, 11:55 PM

Maybe not "everyone"......but you're right.

DLRismydad
04-25-2004, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by Golden AWe
Bleach, Nevermind, Incesticide, In Utero...isn't that four studio albums?:confused:

Incesticide was made up of unreleased tracks an b-sides. I don't think there was any brand new material on it so I guess that means it doesn't count

GAR
04-26-2004, 04:19 AM

You should replay the song and explain what part of that something is that you mean?

tobinentinc
05-03-2004, 09:37 PM
I don't about all of you, but I really think Nirvana is overrated. If Cobain wouldn't have killed himself, the band would have faded like Pearl Jam and all of the other Grunge bands. He's given a little too much credit.

mentalpancake
05-31-2005, 06:58 PM
That song is possibly the most offensive thing I've ever heard, though other than that it is a good song.

All 3 bands mentioned (Metallica, Nirvana, and Guns N' Roses) are among my favorites so I really don't have anything negative to say about any of this.

Hoongood
05-31-2005, 07:04 PM
Nirvana lacked any value musically or lyrically. I cannot understand why, but this is the most over-rated band in the history of music.

Axl was a prick from day one and that is why the band ended so quickly.

One in a Million is a great song. It is not lyrically offensive. If you want offensive lyrics that sound like a hate group, listen to black men rapping.

Rikk
05-31-2005, 07:22 PM
NIRVANA and METALLICA were great bands let by relatively smart people. GUNS 'N' ROSES was made up of great musicians with some great songs but an insane, racist, woman-beating punk that doesn't deserve the retrospective attention he still receives. I wish AXL had offed himself in April 1994 and Kurt were still with us making more albums.

Bill Lumbergh
05-31-2005, 10:26 PM
I didnt mind the death of hair metal, but I still hate all the shitty Nirvana copycat bands that came after they hit it big. I'd rather listen to Cherry Pie than some Better Than Ezra shit or whatever.

Grant
06-01-2005, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by DLRismydad
Actually that incident took place at the 1992 mtv video awards whn Kurt and Courteney got in a confrontation with Axl and his then girlfriend Stephanie Seymour.

Yeah, you're right. Kurt said in a backstage interview with Chris Novoselic while nursing little baby Francis Bean after Nirvana had just played "Lithium" that he ran into Axl and shouted out something to the effect, "Hey Axl, Courtney and I would like you to become the godfather to our child" and Axl stuck his hand out to him pointing down on Kurt in a threatening manner. Kurt said that he hadn't experienced something that degrading since High School.

Bill Lumbergh
06-01-2005, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by Bill Lumbergh
I didnt mind the death of hair metal, but I still hate all the shitty Nirvana copycat bands that came after they hit it big. I'd rather listen to Cherry Pie than some Better Than Ezra shit or whatever.

Actually I wouldnt listen to Cherry Pie either, to be honest.

FasterPussycat
06-01-2005, 08:19 PM
What's to like bout em???:confused:

Rikk
06-01-2005, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by FasterPussycat
What's to like bout em???:confused:

Oh, go put on your BILLY GAY VIRUS.