PDA

View Full Version : OZZY OSBOURNE Calls Off Guitarist Search, Continues Working With ZAKK

Hardrock69
01-10-2006, 01:45 PM
Jan. 10, 2006

A representative for Ozzy Osbourne has issued the following statement regarding Ozzy's previously announced guitarist search:

"Ozzy would like to thank everyone who took the time to send in submissions to be his new guitar player. At the time we announced the search, Zakk Wylde's itinerary with BLACK LABEL SOCIETY was quite overwhelming. Fortunately, Zakk has now been able to go back and rearrange his schedule to make sure that he would be available to write, record and tour with Ozzy in 2006 and beyond. Therefore, the search for a new axe man has been called off. We sincerely apologize to all of the talented musicians (and there were lots of them) who were excited by this incredible opportunity and we wish you the best of luck with all of your future musical endeavors."

WACF
01-10-2006, 01:59 PM
I like the write part...so much BLS screams for Ozzy on vocals.

Mama's Fool
01-10-2006, 05:51 PM
Probably used the submissions to get riff ideas for future songs.

jhale667
01-10-2006, 06:32 PM
DAMMIT!!!! :D

PHOENIX
01-10-2006, 09:14 PM
BRING BACK JAKE E LEE FOR FUCKSAKES!

WACF
01-10-2006, 09:31 PM
I could be wrong but I have the impression that Ozzy never respected Jake E. Lee.

I would like to hear what they would come up with...sad thing is Ozzy's best is long gone.
This new attempt is going to use some studio magic I am sure.

PHOENIX
01-11-2006, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by WACF
I could be wrong but I have the impression that Ozzy never respected Jake E. Lee.

I would like to hear what they would come up with...sad thing is Ozzy's best is long gone.
This new attempt is going to use some studio magic I am sure.

The studio magic left the day Bob Daisley was given the boot.

Vinnie Velvet
01-11-2006, 09:03 AM
Ozzy hasn't had a 'good' album since No More Tears (1991!).

Since then, its been mostly a crapfest.

jero
01-11-2006, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
Ozzy hasn't had a 'good' album since No More Tears (1991!).

Since then, its been mostly a crapfest.

Van Halen since 1984

Vanstonica
01-11-2006, 09:26 AM
Why does everyone hate Zakk?

Just curious.....I've always thought he was a helluva guitarist.

jero
01-11-2006, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Vanstonica
Why does everyone hate Zakk?

Just curious.....I've always thought he was a helluva guitarist.

Don't hate him, he plays great. Good sound! I don't think he writes great songs anymore (since no more tears)

Mr. Vengeance
01-11-2006, 11:14 AM
Ozzy really is a shell of his old self. He busts out a few good tunes per CD lately, but at this point it's so obvious that he'd like to be retired and Sharon keeps forcing him to drag his battered body out on stage so she can keep living in up in style.

He has nothing left to prove. He clearly wants to just relax and he can't. He ought to just put out an album every few years if he wants and maybe do the odd show with Black Sabbath, but this touring every year is just killing him.

FORD
01-11-2006, 01:43 PM
Ozzy simply can't write songs. He never could. Ozzy's show is only as good as his guitarist, and his albums are only as good as his bass players, who end up being the lyricist.

Can anybody name one decent song with Ozzy singing that didn't have either Geezer Butler or Bob Daisley playing bass on it?

FORD
01-11-2006, 01:48 PM

I always had that impression myself. Or at least the impression that Jake took it that way. And for sure, it had to be hard to compete with the ghost of Randy Rhoads. And then, when it seemed that Jake had finally become accepted for himself, Ozzy decides to release the "Tribute" album (full of studio overdubs no less) and of course, then all the focus is on Randy again. It's certainly no coincidence that Jake left the band right after that album was released.

And then Zakk was hired initially, based on his physical resemblance to Randy Rhoads as much as his actual guitar ability. Ozzy was a bit obsessed to say the least. Can't say I blame Jake for leaving at all.

VH LINKS SUCKS
01-11-2006, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by FORD
Ozzy simply can't write songs. He never could. Ozzy's show is only as good as his guitarist, and his albums are only as good as his bass players, who end up being the lyricist.

Can anybody name one decent song with Ozzy singing that didn't have either Geezer Butler or Bob Daisley playing bass on it?

'Blizzard of Ozz' was a gem (Crazy Train, I Don't Know, Suicide Solution etc...)

Another gem 'Diary of a Madman' (You Can't Kill Rock And Roll, Flying High Again, Over The Mountain etc...)

I was fortunate to see the late great Randy Rhodes with Ozzy and the day Randy died the consistent great songs with Ozzy died also.

Mr. Vengeance
01-11-2006, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by FORD

Pretty much every tune on Diary of a Madman is killer.

bastardog
01-11-2006, 04:57 PM
No one can compare with Randys sound and solos.

I will like to see Ozzy with Steve Vai. I heard somewhere that Facing Hell was writted by Steve Vai and Ozzy......does someone if that is true?

DavidLeeNatra
01-11-2006, 05:26 PM
ozzy and vai??? this is just bizarr to think about that....

Gringo
01-11-2006, 06:59 PM
I agree! Jake E. Lee has to come back! I think that he played much better than all of Ozzy's other guitarists.

Eh, maybe i shouldn't write that...you Rhoads-lovers?

flatbroke
01-11-2006, 07:10 PM
Saw this article about Zakk Wylde from a few years back. In it he cites that he got the gig with Ozzie by being his dealer. Never heard that before.

Apologies in advance for those that have already seen / read this.

http://www.nyrock.com/interviews/2002/zakk_int.asp

Terry
01-11-2006, 09:58 PM
Totally agree about it seeming like Sharon is keeping the guy on the road, whereas Oz would just as soon not perform anymore. Guess Oz owes more than a little to Sharon for helping him get his solo career started when he first left Sabbath, hooking him up with Epic, but seeing him shamble around onstage with a teleprompter is getting a little sad.

I don't hate Zakk, just never thought any of the stuff he was doing with Ozzy was all that great in terms of sheer creativity. The guy can play, no doubt.

Kinda moot though about a new Ozzy album at this point. The dude hasn't had anything come out under his name worth listening to for close to twenty years now.

Terry
01-11-2006, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
Pretty much every tune on Diary of a Madman is killer.

Yep, and Daisley was playing bass on all of them.

Terry
01-11-2006, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by Gringo
I agree! Jake E. Lee has to come back! I think that he played much better than all of Ozzy's other guitarists.

That dude did some great stuff on Bark At The Moon.

Ultimate Sin, not so much.

Badlands sounded purty good. Kinda pulled a Houdini after that.

monkeythe
01-11-2006, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by bastardog
No one can compare with Randys sound and solos.

I will like to see Ozzy with Steve Vai. I heard somewhere that Facing Hell was writted by Steve Vai and Ozzy......does someone if that is true?

Ozzy & VAi worked together before the Ozzmosis album. They had recorded some stuff but it never saw the light of day. The only song I know of that was released that Vai wrote was My Little Man from the Ozzmosis album.

bastardog
01-12-2006, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by monkeythe
Ozzy & VAi worked together before the Ozzmosis album. They had recorded some stuff but it never saw the light of day. The only song I know of that was released that Vai wrote was My Little Man from the Ozzmosis album.

Thanks for clarify that. Surely I confused the songs and albums.
Maybe Vai with Ozzy wasn't that good as I was imagine.

Bill Lumbergh
01-12-2006, 03:28 PM
Is Ozzy really gonna keep touring? I love the guy, but damn, he was completely out of it at the last Ozzfest. Would love a new studio record though...........

bueno bob
01-12-2006, 06:44 PM
As long as there are desperate bassists, Sharon Osbourne, breath in Ozzy's lungs and Protools technology, we'll never see the end of Ozzy albums, regardless.

Didn't Zakk say from day one that the search for a "new" guitarist was bullshit anyway? Yup...

Master_Thespian
01-12-2006, 06:53 PM
Sharon knows that The Show must go on....and on....and on...and on...and on...and on..and on..and on and...as any true showman would know!

Diamondjimi
01-12-2006, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by Master_Thespian
Sharon knows that The Show must go on....and on....and on...and on...and on...and on..and on..and on and...

$haron O$bourne is nothing but a money whore. She will work him until
he drops dead (presumably on stage). Since the death of Rhoads his
releases have been fluffy pop "metal" with too many weak and forgetable filler tunes.
His career was founded on heavy music , he seems to have lost the game plan.
Although I think Zakk Wylde (one of the cheesiest "stage " names of all time , right up there with Mike Tramp& Jizzy Pearl) is a smokin shred demon. I think he's a bit of a one trick pony ( Zakk should be paying John Sykes royalties for his pinched harmonics squeals , enough already "BRUTHER"!!!!) ...

I'd love to see Ozzy write an album with John Petrucci of Dream Theatre. John is a fuckin monster player who can play fuckin circles around "Wylde" , plus Petrucci writes lyrics as well................

WACF
01-13-2006, 05:06 PM
Zakk once said that Petrucci was so good he should be shot.

You brought up a name though...John Sykes...I wonder what he would sound like/write like with Ozzy.

Diamondjimi
01-13-2006, 08:03 PM
Zakk once said that Petrucci was so good he should be shot.

You brought up a name though...John Sykes...I wonder what he would sound like/write like with Ozzy.

Sykes auditioned after Rhoads died. Ozzy must've been shitfaced not
to hire him.

WACF
01-13-2006, 10:48 PM
No doubt...I never knew that.

I think I would find Sykes more enjoyable than Vai with Ozzy.

mako_kimura
02-20-2006, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by Gringo

Duh. Randy was Ozzy's greatest guitarist, and no one will be able to match him. Although, I would like to see Jake come back. Actually, I said on randyrhoads.tk that George Lynch should join Ozzy