PDA

View Full Version : New Ohio Law Allows Cops to Request ID

Roth_Rage
01-12-2006, 06:31 PM
Ohio Republican Gov. Bob Taft on Wednesday signed a bill into law passed by the state legislature with barely a word of dissent. Supporters of the state's security measure, which takes effect in 90 days, say it's a tool the state can use in fighting terrorism.

"Like everyone else, after Sept. 11, I became a lot more concerned about our safety and security," said state Sen. Jeff Jacobson, sponsor of the bill, which also instructs local law enforcement to lend assistance when able to federal authorities carrying out provisions of the Patriot Act.

"We felt very strongly that we needed to have laws in Ohio to out our state on the frontline of fighting terrorism," Jacobson said.

But dissent is building over authority given to police officers, who can now ask, "What's your name?" as a tool to fight terrorism. Failure to identify oneself could land an individual in jail.

Critics call the measure the Ohio Patriot Act. The law also requires those applying for state driver's licenses to sign a form that they haven't supported terrorist organizations.

The American Civil Liberties Union opposed the measure because of the new powers it gives to police.

"[It] takes us back to the days of Sen. McCarthy and the House Committee on Un-American Activities with demands that people confess their sins," said Jeffrey Gamso, a spokesman for the ACLU.

But supporters such as police agencies say the new law will be useful without abusing civil rights.

"I think there's enough checks and balances and enough guidelines have been set up by the courts that we will follow," said Michael Weinman, legal liaison for the Columbus, Ohio, police department.

The final version of the bill passed the state Senate with only two 'no' votes.

"People are very afraid to vote against any bill of this nature," said Daniel Tokaji, a law professor at Ohio State University. "They have to stand for re-election and no one wants to be perceived as soft on terrorism."

Others agree that the measure will come up in the upcoming election.

"This doesn't have a little to do with the upcoming election. It has everything to do with the upcoming election," said Chris Redfern, chairman of the Ohio Democratic Party

Link (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,181382,00.html)

*poster comment*
More police state laws. I really hope the people of Ohio stand up and say something. Police can and will abuse this law.

Moreover, the government agencies will have even more power over you. They need NO MORE, in fact, they need alot less. I don't need my government checking everyones ID. I'm not scared of terrorist.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c280/infodude/papers_please.jpg

ODShowtime
01-12-2006, 07:23 PM
Man Ohio is a fucked up state.

Phil theStalker
01-12-2006, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by ODShowtime
Man Ohio is a fucked up state. That's why I'm not wasting anymore time and I'm attending a militia meeting in Akron Saturday and another o1ne in Michigan this month.;)

:mad:

FORD
01-12-2006, 08:21 PM
How can a government with so many of it's elected officials under indictment be allowed to pass any laws at all?

All functions of the Ohio state government and the BCE federal government should be suspended immediately until the criminals involved resign or are impeached where appropriate.

Instead Ohio is passing further fascist measures, while the BCE attempts to solidify a permanent one party fascist state with the addition of Strip Search Scalito to the Extreme Court.

It's time to put a stop to this bullshit.

Phil theStalker
01-12-2006, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by FORD
How can a government with so many of it's elected officials under indictment be allowed to pass any laws at all?

All functions of the Ohio state government and the BCE federal government should be suspended immediately until the criminals involved resign or are impeached where appropriate.

Instead Ohio is passing further fascist measures, while the BCE attempts to solidify a permanent one party fascist state with the addition of Strip Search Scalito to the Extreme Court.

It's time to put a stop to this bullshit. Oh my god, FORD. When I read the fir1st t2wo sentences of your post I thought I was reading something from Thomas Jefferson's mouth.

The revolution IS here.

It's not 2005 any longer, kiddies.;)

:mad:

LoungeMachine
01-12-2006, 08:29 PM
A lot of "terrorists" driving around Cleveland, huh?

I'm sick to death of these PUKES passing anything they want under the banner of " 9/11 Terror "

FUCK OHIO.

[ I wonder if Ohio Driver's Licenses have the occupation listed......that would make it easier, just arrest anyone who has a license that says "suicide bomber" under occupation]

Phil theStalker
01-12-2006, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
A lot of "terrorists" driving around Cleveland, huh?

Yeh well, y'know that Dennis Kucinich is pretty radical.:D

Phil theStalker
01-12-2006, 08:40 PM
PS This should have never happened, but it will be thrown out in Federal court, because it IS unconstitutional. i.e., What if I'm walking my dog in the woods behind Cleveland International airport and I don't need t2o have a driver's ID on me? huh

This is just more stupid laws that are going t2o make SOMEBODY pay to fight it in court.

It's a losing law and it will not withstand federal scrutiny in federal court. So don't sweat it.

ODShowtime
01-12-2006, 09:22 PM
yeah, but it'll be a pain in the ass on the ground. Do you want to be the one to fight it?

BigBadBrian
01-13-2006, 08:48 AM
They whined after 9/11 because they said the Adminstration didn't do enough to prevent the attacks.

Now they're whining because they're trying to prevent further attacks.

Go figure. :rolleyes:

LoungeMachine
01-13-2006, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
They whined after 9/11 because they said the Adminstration didn't do enough to prevent the attacks.

By checking driver's licenses in Ohio????????

Give me a fucking break.

How about beefing up inspections of containers coming into port?

How about securing our 6,000 miles of land borders, not to mention the coastlines?

How about beefing up security at nuclear power plants and resevoirs?

Checking Driver's licenses in Ohio is "preventing terror" in your world?

whatever, man.:rolleyes:

What's next, door to door knock knocks asking...."excuse me sir/madam....do you have any terrorists in your home?

thome
01-13-2006, 08:58 AM
This is so funny. There has never been a time that i know of when a cop cannot request you provide your name or what your doing or
your DL.

How wierd ...

BigBadBrian
01-13-2006, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine

What's next, door to door knock knocks asking...."excuse me sir/madam....do you have any terrorists in your home?

Only at yours or Nick's or FORD's house. Or that fucker Phil....he's a weird one...watch him. ;)

:gulp:

Nickdfresh
01-13-2006, 10:26 AM

Um, the 9/11 hijackers were quite able to get state IDs. So how would this have prevented 9/11? How does this actually prevent further attacks? In fact, the collection of a large, inspecific, amount of information can actually bog down and distract law enforcement and anti-terrorists, and gives a false sense of security. Sort of like LOUIS FREEH relentlessly obsessing over CLINTON whilst he squandered resources and generally ignored issues regarding terrorism, and then tries to blame everyone else with his little memoirs.

Just ask the NSA, which is one of their biggest complaints I think....

Nickdfresh
01-13-2006, 10:28 AM
Only at yours or Nick's or FORD's house. Or that fucker Phil....he's a weird one...watch him. ;)

:gulp:

As flattered that I am that you put me in a sentence with FORD, let me speak for me.;)

Phil theStalker
01-14-2006, 08:12 AM

Go figure. :rolleyes: Troll.

Phil theStalker
01-14-2006, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by thome
This is so funny. There has never been a time that i know of when a cop cannot request you provide your name or what your doing or
your DL.

How wierd ... You're cuntpletely wrong, troll. My pop was a Cleveland cop and you cun't just do dat.

You should be bitch slapped.

Troll.

:spank:

twonabomber
01-14-2006, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Roth_Rage
The law also requires those applying for state driver's licenses to sign a form that they haven't supported terrorist organizations.

oooh, THAT'LL work. :rolleyes:

we also have to sign a paper that says we have insurance...they don't even ask to see proof, just "sign here to state that you have car insurance." do you know how many people lie about that?

Cathedral
01-14-2006, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by twonabomber
oooh, THAT'LL work. :rolleyes:

we also have to sign a paper that says we have insurance...they don't even ask to see proof, just "sign here to state that you have car insurance." do you know how many people lie about that?

I've lied on that insurance form a few times, it's a joke and all about the red tape and nothing more.

Look, a cop in Ohio has always had the right to ask for identification under the excuse "Probable Cause" if they suspect something, they can legally stop you and request identification and have been authorized to do so since the early '80's...to date that hasn't been abused.
All this law does is give the officer the option of detaining you until they learn your identity, what's wrong with that?

I hardly think that Mr. Joe Schmoe taking his dog out for a walk would raise much suspicion and how hard would it be to take an officer back to your house to prove who you are if your just around the block?

I mean really, all this huffy puffy shit about an ID doing what it's designed to do, identify people?

Who can function in this country without one is my question?
And if you don't carry identification on you, why not?
What are you hiding, or hiding from?
It's illegal to operate a motor vehicle without a license, and you can't get a freakin job without a state ID even if you don't drive...so it's all much ado about nothing.
I like the idea that a cop can detain someone who cannot be identified, it may just save a few lives if someone who is dangerous is taken off the streets.

The only thing that has changed is that now a cop has an option if you refuse to identify yourself.
But hey, if you are hell bent on believing the fanatsy that the government can actually protect you and your family this is the kind of shit that happens.
I am never without my identification, especially if i am carrying a firearm, or in a car, or anywhere.

Phil theStalker
01-14-2006, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by Cathedral
I've lied on that insurance form a few times, it's a joke and all about the red tape and nothing more.

Look, a cop in Ohio has always had the right to ask for identification under the excuse "Probable Cause" if they suspect something, they can legally stop you and request identification and have been authorized to do so since the early '80's...to date that hasn't been abused.
All this law does is give the officer the option of detaining you until they learn your identity, what's wrong with that?.
Because that's Nazi Germany, Soviet Russia, and Communist China.

Does dat help?

I hope I helped yoo out, dude.:rolleyes:

Phil theStalker
01-14-2006, 07:28 PM
And doo yoo knoow why Soviet Russia?

Because they had VODKA!

Come on, let's have sum shots aff TYRANNY!

Cathedral
01-14-2006, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by Phil theStalker

Does dat help?

Oh bullshit, what your doing is comparing apples to prunes, dude. :rolleyes:

Get back to me when the first person is exterminated because of this law.
I'll get back to you when the first illusive criminal gets tried and convicted because of it.

By the way, rolling your eyes leads to a weakened optic nerve over time...just FYI, lmmfao.

Phil theStalker
01-14-2006, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by Cathedral
Get back to me when the first person is exterminated because of this law.I'll do dat aff tit's not yoo or mmme.;)

EXECTUTION CHINA
OUR FRIENDLY NATION TRADING PARTNER, PARTNER!
www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/03/12/1047431092598.html

FORD
01-14-2006, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by Phil theStalker

Does dat help?

And it's potentially more than that. And Cathedral will know what I'm talking about here. Eventually the requirement will become a mandatory ID card. And then when too many lost card excuses are made, it will become a chip or a RFID tag embedded in the skin.

And no man (or woman or child) will be able to buy or sell without their "Patriot Mark". :(

Cathedral
01-15-2006, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by FORD
And it's potentially more than that. And Cathedral will know what I'm talking about here. Eventually the requirement will become a mandatory ID card. And then when too many lost card excuses are made, it will become a chip or a RFID tag embedded in the skin.

And no man (or woman or child) will be able to buy or sell without their "Patriot Mark". :(

Yeppers, I am well aware of those bits of revelation right there.
Though what went down here in Ohio isn't as bad as what you all are making it out to be, it does set a precedent that in the future our blind desire to seek safety from the government will effectively lead us into submission to that government against our will...and we just keep giving them more and more power...it's total madness that has engulfed our society and for some stupid fucking reason we don't seem to do anything to stop it.

I'm having a real hard time even giving a shit anymore because I seem to be a lone dove perched on the pole.
I am at the point where all there is to do is wait for shit to fall apart and go from there if at all possible.

I guess what i'm saying is that i feel we are too far gone to save ourselves from impending disaster of global proportions, the game is essentially over except for the mass anarchy in the streets, but it too is coming, and sooner than anyone cares to think.

We've allowed our leaders to squander everything that made this nation great to our own fault, so who do we blame when it is ourselves that are the guilty?

But still, rolling over and playing dead is not and never has been an option for me...I say we at least try to bury the political hatchet and demand better from all our elected representatives.
I'm suggesting that all voters revolt and revoke the power that has been abused so much and so often by those we charged to represent our interests with dignity and fairness...neither of which has been the case for decades on both sides of that fucked political spectrum.