PDA

View Full Version : Man sues chatroom pals

Ally_Kat
01-12-2006, 11:53 PM
Man sues chatroom pals: I was humiliated beyond what 'no man could endure'
By J.K. Dineen
Court TV
Updated Jan. 12, 2006, 11:50 a.m. ET

Mike Marlowe fully admits that he sometimes gave George Gillespie a hard time in that AOL chatroom.

But never in his wildest imagination did he expect to be sued in court for what he characterized as "razzing."

"We gave him crap," said Marlowe, a 33-year-old welder in Fayette, Ala. "I'm not going to deny it. I teased him and he teased me back. He gave it back better than he ever got it."

A generation ago, such petty personal beefs might have been settled with fists outside the corner bar, but now it's the Internet age — and Ohio resident George Gillespie instead filed a $25,000 lawsuit against two erstwhile cyber chums he met in the sprawling 900-room, mostly anonymous society that makes up AOL's chat universe.

Gillespie, 53, claims that Marlowe and Bob Charpentier, a 52-year-old Oregon resident, insulted him and harassed him in the AOL chatroom called "Romance — Older Men" to the point where it inflicted "severe emotional distress and physical injury that is of a nature no reasonable man could be expected to endure it."

The complaint, expected in court on Jan. 31 for a pretrial conference, also names AOL as a defendant for allowing the alleged harassment to take place.

Gillespie alleges that the duo intruded into his "private affairs." The complaint states that Marlowe actually drove from Alabama to Ohio to photograph the plaintiff's home, which he then posted on the Web. He also allegedly went to the courthouse in Medina to dig up personal dirt on Gillespie, which he then also disseminated over the Internet.

The case is not simply "someone conversing in a chatroom" but also involves "harassing someone in Ohio," which gives Ohio courts jurisdiction, according to Gillespie's lawyers.

"Had the defendants stayed in the chatrooms, there would be no jurisdiction here, case closed" Gillespie's attorney Theodore Lesiak stated in the complaint. "Defendant did not."

But Marlowe said he works 60 hours a week at an autobody shop and laughed at the notion that he would drive from Alabama to Ohio to take pictures of Gillespie's house.

"I have never been to Ohio and I have absolutely no desire to go to Ohio," Marlowe said. "There is nothing there — the Cincinnati Bengals are there, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame maybe, and that's about it."

Even if Marlowe did take a trip to Ohio, posting a picture of someone's house on the Internet does not violate privacy laws, according to Chris Hoofnagle, attorney with the Electronic Privacy Information Center.

"Those norms require the aggressor to engage in behavior that is highly offensive to a reasonable person," he said. "Taking a picture of somebody's house and putting it up on the Web is not that."

Hoofnagle said Gillespie's emotional distress claim will also be tough to prove.

"We live in a rough society, as compared to Europe, where offending someone or directly cursing or attacking their dignity can give you a cause of action," he said.

Power Struggle in 'Romance — Older Men'

Charpentier said he first encountered Gillespie more than five years ago and at first, the two chatters were friendly. But Charpentier says he quickly became disenchanted by what he saw as Gillespie's mean streak.

Things really turned ugly four years ago when Charpentier traveled to Kentucky to meet another chatroom regular, a woman who was also a friend of Gillespie's. The blind date did not go particularly well, and when Charpentier returned to he discovered that Gillespie had gone on the attack.

"He just came in slamming on me, saying all kinds of derogatory crap: that I was a fat, bald, broke old man who sits around in a rusted wheelchair," said Charpentier, who has a chronic back injury. "I don't even own a wheelchair."

Charpentier, who has filed a response seeking to reserve the right to file a $125,000 countersuit against Gillespie, said Gillespie threatened to kill him and "made sick and disgusting remarks about the passing of my grandmother."

"He is an AOL computer thug, that is all he is," Charpentier said.

Marlowe characterized the dispute as a petty power struggle. He said Gillespie was the de facto leader of the "Romance — Older Men" chatroom, and didn't like it when he and Charpentier challenged his authority.

But Marlowe said he never took the chatroom antics personally — until he was served with a lawsuit.

"I don't know how four years of bantering back and forth led to this insane nonsense," he said. "It's just the Internet, for God's sake. It's nothing important."

Michael Gordon, an attorney for AOL, declined to comment, saying, "This is just the beginning stages of this thing."

Megan Gray, a Washington D.C.-based intellectual property attorney who specializes in cyber issues, called it "a loser of a case." She said the Communications Decency Act gives AOL immunity from chatroom misconduct.

"AOL cannot be held liable for the actions of people on the site," she said.

She also suggested the case against Marlowe and Charpentier was doomed.

"The Internet is such a vibrant, young medium, these types of cases are not taken seriously," she said.

Article URL:
http://www.courttv.com/news/2006/0112/chatroom_suit_ctv.html

LoungeMachine
01-13-2006, 12:26 AM
Jesus H Christ what the FUCK is in the water in Ohio????

Nuke the whole state.

Phil theStalker
01-13-2006, 04:34 AM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
Jesus H Christ what the FUCK is in the water in Ohio????

Nuke the whole state. Dat is NO SHIT, LoungeMachine.

Sum kooks in Columbus called da FBI on me f4or poosting on da Rogan Board waaaay back in 2001...and, da fakking FBI actually CAME t2o check mmme out! FAK!

Just nuke Columbus, Taft's there...ooops, another homelyland suckurity threat...butt Phil the Stalker IS my real ID, and I own www.philthestalker.com f4or 5 years. I just haven't put tit up online yet. I have so mmany Websites. Sumday.:)

:spank:

Phil theStalker
01-13-2006, 04:41 AM
flappo, why doon't yoo have any Websites? Yoo just keep playing wit those free Apple pages & photo dumps & stuff.

And, when are yoo getting yer Apple video cuntferancing and iInternet iPhone?

Dang flappo, yoo're behind on da latest Jobsnology!

Phil theStalker
01-13-2006, 05:03 AM
Originally posted by Ally_Kat
Man sues... Gillespie alleges that the duo intruded into his "private affairs." The complaint states that Marlowe actually drove from Alabama to Ohio to photograph the plaintiff's home, which he then posted on the Web. He also allegedly went to the courthouse in Medina to dig up personal dirt on Gillespie, which he then also disseminated over the Internet.

The case is not simply "someone conversing in a chatroom" but also involves "harassing someone in Ohio," which gives Ohio courts jurisdiction, according to Gillespie's lawyers.

"Had the defendants stayed in the chatrooms, there would be no jurisdiction here, case closed" Gillespie's attorney Theodore Lesiak stated in the complaint. "Defendant did not."

Yeh, they did dat t2o mmme, t2oo. They drove from Columbuss t2o Cleeveland and took pictures aff ME and poosted them on da Intwatnet at da Rogan board and intruded int2o mmy 'private affairs' poosting personal info, t2oo.

I told Joey, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many times dat I could SUE them and him and him and them and I'd sue Fear Factor f4or being a stupid show.:p

Joe agreed wit mme aboot FF.

Butt da rest aff tit he condoned. He's reelly da craZEE o1ne, da instagator, da gang leader, da cyber bully, da religious nut, da criminal's criminal, so there's layers aff crime on top aff crimes on top aff crimes here, and he's da only o1ne wit enuff mmoney t2o sue.:p

Sure I had Ohio law on mmmy side. Ah, butt I'm not anal enuff t2o sue like Gillespie.

Speaking aff anal, has anyboody seen Joe's live act live recently?:D

Now flappo is gooing t2o poost dis message at da Rogan Board and git mme in troubull agin wit brother Joey.

And I'll neva git a good job cutting Joe's grass, or smoking tit. Y'know Joey has peeps test his food bef4ore he eats tit, then he mmakes peeps eat jumbo shrimp testicals (they have them) on TV.

Nazis.

DEEP DEVIL WORSHIPPING NAZI

Big Fat Sammy
01-13-2006, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Phil theStalker

Just nuke Columbus

:eek:

<-------

bastardog
01-13-2006, 03:37 PM
This posts can give the "Thunder" guy ideas....
Fuck child abusers

manwiththedogs
01-13-2006, 04:10 PM

Just nuke Columbus

Cleveland too.
Ugliest fucking city in the Midwest.

Jérôme Frenchise
01-14-2006, 10:52 AM
Americans tend to appear as compulsive litigants, suing colleagues, employers, employees, spouses, etc, for the slightest peccadillo...
Individual trial mania is considered as symptomatic of a kind of sickness, the same can be said for (a certain part of) a society.
Here in Western Europe, they will say that (not to say that they forcibly are, but often negative) sociological phenomena that are observed today in the US will occur over the Atlantic 10 or 15 years later. The lapse is getting shorter and shorter, though.

Sick, exaggerated recourses to justice are spreading here too, but not ye to such an extent.
However, the limits of ridicule are being crossed as well. Former Interior minister Jean-Pierre Chevènement*, who was slapstuck by famous Belgian Noel Godin (who slapped Bill Gates in Brussels in 1998**), sued his "aggressor", publicly asking for redress for being called "pompous" and "ridiculous", among others... which he so obviously is...
Chevenement was one of the only "victims" who dared suing Godin, who won his rare previous trials. Godin finally had to pay Chevenement 2,500 euros, but the latter stepped a little further into grotesque...

Now, message boards... Pathetic issues...What will be next?

Meanwhile, serious stuff like patently inadequate policies or political staffs, as well as elected representative corruption will often escape the law here... There's so much spare butt-kicking.

http://mrc-france.org/IMG/jpg/Chev.jpg http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:nQF_Y36y53t4qM:www.ac-nancy-metz.fr/clemi/PhotoPresse/ImagesPhotoPresse/ChevenementEntartrage.jpg

BITEYOASS
01-14-2006, 12:07 PM
Dat is NO SHIT, LoungeMachine.

Sum kooks in Columbus called da FBI on me f4or poosting on da Rogan Board waaaay back in 2001...and, da fakking FBI actually CAME t2o check mmme out! FAK!

Just nuke Columbus, Taft's there...ooops, another homelyland suckurity threat...butt Phil the Stalker IS my real ID, and I own www.philthestalker.com f4or 5 years. I just haven't put tit up online yet. I have so mmany Websites. Sumday.:)

:spank: Hey, if Pat "I'm Jesus' Lover" Robertson can get away with comments about nuking govt. facilities, than so should Phil damnit!?!?!

Phil theStalker
01-14-2006, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by BITEYOASS
Hey, if Pat "I'm Jesus' Lover" Robertson can get away with comments about nuking govt. facilities, than so should Phil damnit!?!?! I alreedy did.

And pastor Butch Paugh just said on Alex Jones' show Thursday, "Bush should be hung from da highest tree...Cheney, t2oo!"

YEP, tit's getting ugly.;)

Look, cun't everyboody take a black pill and a white pill and leave us alone?:rolleyes:

www.calltodecision.com

Phil theStalker
01-14-2006, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by Big Fat Sammy
:eek:

<------- Mmmaybe wee could just bore Columbus t2o death wit a huge Windows XP Checkers game.:D

DrMaddVibe
01-14-2006, 10:30 PM
BREASTS

Terry
01-14-2006, 10:47 PM
Whole thing seems pretty pathetic from start to fuckin' finish.

BITEYOASS
01-14-2006, 11:41 PM
I say if you really don't like someone's comments about you on the internet, then challenge them at the nearest legal or Illegal boxing ring (i.e. Fightclub); and if you really want to go to the extreme, challenge them to a duel! :D

Matt White
01-17-2006, 12:30 AM
INteresting...yet truly pathetic.

NATEDOG001976
01-17-2006, 12:37 AM
Sue everybody!!! It's the American way!