PDA

View Full Version : Hey you! Just you! Don't... stab your teacher!

Jérôme Frenchise
01-13-2006, 07:08 PM
Well, sometimes it gets pretty hot for teachers... It seems to me that the educational system in which I've worked for 12 years has grown more and more inappropriate to today's kids (and vice versa). The perception may be different, yet I can but notice a real upheaval concerning standards and behaviours, mainly, as compared to what I knew as a pupil, a student or back when I started working. I guess it must be the same in many other countries.

I suggest this thread as a place for school memories (good or bad) or current issues.
I'll start with an apalling affair that has been discussed here for weeks. Of course it is a rare, isolated case, but symptomatic of a deteriorating climate in secondary and high schools.

I translated the article below myself. Not a rejoicing topic, but feel free to bring this thread some fun stuff - or just let it die. ;)

From Libération (French daily newspaper), 1/11/2006

"I don’t bear a grudge on my aggressor, who had been showing signs of maladjustment. I bear a grudge on the institution, whose only answer consists in reproaching us for being badly trained or our unability; then they really should take a new look at themselves."
Karen M.-T., a fine arts teacher at a vocational school in Etampes [about 40 miles south of Paris], was stabbed seven times (in her arm, her stomach and her nostril) in her classroom by an 18 year-old pupil last December. She directly accused the principal whom she had told about the tough times she was going through for a long time.

Three months of applied violence courses

Karen M.-T., 27, gave her own version of the facts before four journalists, in a room of the town hall of Etampes yesterday. A tall, elegant dark-haired young woman , she’s sitting very upright on her chair. The 7 stabs still limit her gestures. […]

“I would like to talk about the atmosphere that there had been at the vocational school since last September, and about my superiors’ behaviour. As soon as September 16, I had the most thrilling moments in my career (so far), in a very oppressive class. That day, I was not able to gain the upper hand. I asked the pupils to leave before the bell. Some of them found that it was not respectful. Very promptly, they circled my desk. Some of them fumbled in my belongings, some even grabbed them. Looks were focused on my backside, to ‘[I]see if I was wearing a G-string or something else’...
I was scared as could be. Facing those very masculine classes is a power struggle. […]

Soon after the end of the Toussaint holiday, a pupil from another class called : ‘I want you now, on the table!' Another one said: ‘Don’t worry, I’ll lend her to you…’ I wrote a report to the chief supervisor. But there were no measures taken.
On Dec. 5, there was a new incident. I was threatened of being killed.
They were all very nervous in that class because one of them had been fired. Two pupils, above all, kept provoking me, talking out loud about the 'uselessness of teachers who earn 1,500 euros a month.’ They evoked breaking in as a good way of making money. In my home, for instance. [….] I met my aggressor’s mother, the day before the facts. She ignored her son had been fired. She got really upset and probably gave him a good talking to.

On Nov. 16, he came back in class… He sat down in the front row. I asked the pupils to take their blousons off. All did, safe he. I felt that something might happen, that I had better leave him alone. I stepped towards the blackboard. He called: ‘Madam, did YOU meet my mother yesterday?’ ‘Yes’, I answered. ‘And did YOU tell her that I refused to take off my hat?’ I replied that he could have attended the meeting. Then he stood up. I made a step forward, and I wound up 5 inches from him. He took something out of his sweat shirt and hit me in my stomach. Another pupil interfered, but he couldn’t stop him. The pupils screamed… I yelled at them, telling them to go out…
‘I really wondered if I was going to die'."
Suddenly, after a two-hour tale, she starts sobbing.” […]

After two years out of school, the 18-year old had been integrated in the vocational school last October, after his mother asked for it. He had just been fired for a week because of insolent remarks. [..]
According to Karen M.-T., the principal should have taken the death threats seriously, which she hasn’t, minimizing or even ridiculing them, as is her habit, apparently (she will write banal mentions on catastrophic pupils’ term sheets during class meetings).[…]

Mrs M.-T., after 8 days in hospital, is on sick leave until March 19. She lodged a complaint against her aggressor, against two pupils for “threats”, against another one for insult and a fifth complaint against persons unknown… for not respecting the law on Education, which stipulates that protection is due to civil servants at work.

“I want to go back to work. Teaching is my vocation, and I love that kind of audience [here she means underprivileged teens, I guess… not dirty bastards calling her names, talking about raping her, killing her – or even trying to!], despite what happened. The ‘ hierarchy’ is incapable of admitting our commitment. I have done everything I could for those kids and I will do it againin the future. But we have our say on the recruiting of pupils [I know how it goes, I am part of it every year in my high school and… criteria are inevitably trampled on because classes “have to” be filled…] It is like ‘social’ day nursing! We are asked to keep youngsters who are offenders outside… What happened to me has to be useful.”

BUMP! :cool:

Jérôme Frenchise
01-15-2006, 01:58 PM
OK, my mistake. I kind of fumbled things together, so here's a selection of what the lovely unfortunate fine arts teacher had to go through... My take is that she might be a bit responsible for what happened, but mostly she was surrounded with real jerks (her principal, above all, but also her colleagues to a certain extent).

What do you think? :cool:

"I bear a grudge on the institution, whose only answer consists in reproaching us for being badly trained or our unability; then they really should take a new look at themselves."
Karen M.-T., a fine arts teacher at a vocational school in Etampes [about 40 miles south of Paris], was stabbed seven times (...) in her classroom by an 18 year-old pupil last December. She directly accused the principal whom she had told about the tough times she was going through for a long time.

Three months of applied violence courses

“I asked the pupils to leave before the bell. Some of them found that it was not respectful. Very quickly, they circled my desk. Some of them fumbled in my belongings, some even grabbed them. Looks were focused on my backside, to ‘see if I was wearing a G-string or something else’... […]

Soon after the end of the Toussaint holiday, a pupil from another class called : ‘I want you now, on the table!' Another one said: ‘Don’t worry, I’ll lend her to you…’ I wrote a report to the chief supervisor. But there were no measures taken. [...]

On Dec. 5, there was a new incident. I was threatened of being killed.
[...]Two pupils, above all, kept provoking me, talking out loud about the 'uselessness of teachers who earn 1,500 euros a month.’ They evoked breaking in as a good way of making money. In my home, for instance. [….] I met my aggressor’s mother, the day before the facts. She ignored her son had been fired. She got really upset and probably gave him a good talking to.

On Nov. 16, he came back in class… ‘Madam, did YOU meet my mother yesterday?’ ‘Yes’, I answered. ‘And did YOU tell her that I refused to take off my hat?’ I replied that he could have attended the meeting. Then he stood up. I made a step forward, and I wound up 5 inches from him. He took something out of his sweat shirt and hit me in my stomach. Another pupil interfered, but he couldn’t stop him. The pupils screamed… I yelled at them, telling them to go out…"
[…]

[...] the principal should have taken the death threats seriously, which she hasn’t, minimizing or even ridiculing them, as is her habit, apparently […]

Mrs M.-T., after 8 days in hospital, is on sick leave until March 19. She lodged a complaint against her aggressor, against two pupils for “threats”, against another one for insult and a fifth complaint against persons unknown… for not respecting the law on Education, which stipulates that protection is due to civil servants at work.

“I want to go back to work. Teaching is my vocation, and I love that kind of audience [here she means underprivileged teens, I guess… not dirty bastards calling her names, talking about raping her, killing her – or even trying to!], despite what happened. It is like ‘social’ day nursing! We are asked to keep youngsters who are offenders outside… What happened to me has to be useful.”

Douglas T.
01-15-2006, 02:26 PM
I'm with ya dude! Something about kids these days! They have it so good and have all the innovations to be so powerful! Yet they act like uneducated animals! I imagine to much violence on TV and video games is one problem!

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/state/sfl-cbeatnews15jan15,0,1826086.story?coll=orl-home-headlines

Hardrock69
01-15-2006, 03:47 PM
Fucking kids these days are not being raised with enough discipline.

Were I the parents of any of the kids acting up in that class, I would beat their motherfucking asses.

My parents raised me right. If I fucked up as a child, a belt (liberally applied to my ass) would be the result.

It was an instantaneous wake up call.

Thank god they were not stoners or slackers, and they are still married after almost 50 years.

Like I said...they raised me right.

And I am glad.

Wawazat
01-16-2006, 09:24 AM
My time in school was not exactly peace & harmony all over, some of the teachers were overaged idiots, others were really ok.

But violence was not a real topic back in the 70´s

Seshmeister
01-16-2006, 10:17 AM
I think it's definitely time for countries like Franch to stop teaching their kids obscure minority languages like French and move towards a better world where everyone speaks English like on Star Trek.

Same goes for Germany, Japan, and everyone else.

Hardrock69
01-16-2006, 11:50 AM
What you do not realize is that many countries on Earth already have Engrish as their official language.

* Australia
* Bahamas
* Botswana (but the national language is Setswana)
* Canada (federally, with French)
o New Brunswick (with French)
o Nunavut (with French, Inuktitut, and Inuvialuktun)
o Northwest Territories (with Chipewyan, Cree, Dogrib, French, Gwich'in, Inuktitut, and Slavey)
o Yukon (with French)
* Cyprus (with Turkish and Greek (Hellenic))
* Éire (with Irish)
* Fiji (with Bau Fijian and Hindustani)
* part of the People's Republic of China
o Hong Kong (with Chinese)
* India (with Hindi and 14 other languages)
* Kenya (with Kiswahili)
* Kiribati
* Malta (with Maltese)
* Nigeria
* Pakistan
* Papua New Guinea (with Tok Pisin and Motu)
* Republic of Ireland (with Irish)
* South Africa (with Afrikaans, Ndebele, Northern Sotho, Sotho, Swazi, Tsonga, Tswana, Venda, Xhosa, Zulu)
* New Zealand (an official language by custom; the other by law is Māori)
* Singapore (with Malay, Tamil and Mandarin)
* Philippines (but the national language is Filipino)
* The Gambia
* parts of the United States. The USA Federal Government does not have an official language; English is the first language by custom, not law. See English-only movement. English is the official language in the following states and territories.
o Alabama
o Alaska
o Arkansas
o California
o Colorado
o Florida
o Georgia
o Illinois
o Indiana
o Iowa
o Kentucky
o Massachusetts
o Mississippi
o Montana
o Nebraska
o New Hampshire
o North Carolina
o North Dakota
o South Carolina
o South Dakota
o Tennessee
o Utah
o Virginia
o Wyoming
o English is an official language in the following states and territories.
+ Hawaii (with Hawaiian language)
+ New Mexico (with Spanish)
+ Puerto Rico (with Spanish)

Seshmeister
01-16-2006, 12:35 PM
Of course I realise it.

It's the language of business, travel, computing everything.

It's also got a much wider vocaubulary available than other languages.

What's French for Blumpkin, le Blumpkin? :)

It's about time the French, Germans and Spanish got over it and fitted in with everyone else.

It would help their economies big time.

Douglas T.
01-16-2006, 01:41 PM
DT throws hands in air! WTF?! Kids these days!!!

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Movies/01/16/childactormissing.ap/index.html

jhale667
01-16-2006, 02:10 PM
I have to agree with Hardrock...fear of a brutal ass-kicking from the 'rents kept me in line as a kid, and kids today have NO fear of that.

Time to reintroduce them to ye ol' boot-in-ass :D

Jérôme Frenchise
01-17-2006, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Douglas T.
They have it so good and have all the innovations to be so powerful! Yet they act like uneducated animals!

Right on! They think they're so smart USING all these high-tech tools, but won't figure out they are nothing but users - if not tools themselves. It gets on my nerves so much that those nitwits can disdain genuine geniuses like Edison or the Lumiere brothers, or dare mistaking Chaplin for (in their spongiform brains) a buffoon...
Seeing some of them use an i-pod or even a simple PC almost makes me think of chimps doing the same: they look like over-equipped Neanderthalians. :cool:

Jérôme Frenchise
01-17-2006, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Wawazat
My time in school was not exactly peace & harmony all over, some of the teachers were overaged idiots, others were really ok.

But violence was not a real topic back in the 70´s

I concur! Violence was there, but it would rarely escape our control. There were physical and verbal abuse, etc as well, yet they just wouldn't be used as easily as today. I've noticed that students have gotten coarser and coarser over the past 12 years. They throw the worst insults at each others for tiny ridiculous nothings. They tend to make less and less sense.
In fact I'm afraid they no longer have any notion of values about anything.

Ally_Kat
01-17-2006, 06:10 PM
I can only speak for New York and do so. Saying that much...

Originally posted by Hardrock69

That's half the problem here. Either parents can't be bothered, force their kids to be mini-adults which leads them to abandon school work, or parents use pussy discipline measures. Eveerything can't be the fault of the teacher.

Originally posted by Wawazat
some of the teachers were overaged idiots, others were really ok.

That's the other half of the problem here. There's no reason why there should be people ahead of me in my program who have yet to pass the first of their teacher certification tests. I was actually worried when I started the testing because I heard a lot of the teacher canidates were failing the tests. I almost got a perfect score. The test was <i>nothing.</i> I say there should be a limit -- if you fail any test within the certification process more than 3 times, you can't continue. But that'll never happen because of shortages and a salary that isn't competitive with other businesses here.

Another thing that ticks me off concerns what some teachers can getawaywith as teaching here. My brother is taking a high school psych class. Okay, so it's a high school class and it's not going to get into college level work. But the teachers gets away with doing nothing but showing them movies. While I lkove Pulp Fiction and randomly The Simpsons, I don't see how watching just them all day in class helps the prepare for the college psych class they'll have to take. Just like I don't see how watching Leo in Romeo and Juliet helps them learn about Shakespeare. A treat after reading the play and learning the history behind it, sure. But replacing the text, no.

Jérôme Frenchise
01-17-2006, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Hardrock69

Were I the parents of any of the kids acting up in that class, I would beat their motherfucking asses.

My parents raised me right. If I fucked up as a child, a belt (liberally applied to my ass) would be the result.

It was an instantaneous wake up call.

Thank god they were not stoners or slackers, and they are still married after almost 50 years.

Like I said...they raised me right.

And I am glad.

If it has done you good in your childhood and teenage years, HR, the fact is that the method of education that you've known tends to vanish a little these days. And it's a shame, because parents haven't replaced it with anything better.

Here in France, beyond the fact that most of the population cannot speak English and have to manage with the very limited vocab' of the "Franch" language ;), and I guess it has become the same about everywhere, communication has shrunk to basics in many families. A majority of the media and entertainment companies have worked on populations for a long time, following some political will to standardize everything, levelling values in order to bring most references to mediocrity.
The more masses are about "panem et circenses" (bread and games - or junk culture), the less they are informed and enlightened, the easier they can be manipulated. The millions of families whose heads have been brought lower and lower to the ground, have lost the ability to stand back and give their kids the education they should be given.
That is, an education in which parents are the nucleus, and are reliable references.They tend not be anymore:

In the families of those dirty little cunts who mugged their teacher, not to mention the final aggressor, parents have lost any authority. They are unemployed (or not). Their lives are nothing beyond food and TV crap. They know nothing about the world but what their one and only news speaker will serve them daily like a farmer feeds his hens. Their son feels no respect for them. He got into drug dealing - he often doesn't even do drugs himself - to be able to afford those moron's tracksuits, sneakers, i-pods, video games, and whatever they are told is best by advertising. They only keep on going to school, because they want to avoid trouble with authorities (scholarship is compulsory until the age of 16 here).
When they enter classrooms, they feel so superior, making all that money, twice, maybe three times as much as what their "miserable" teachers make. And they will even boast about it in class... Yes, they will. I had such classes myself when I started my carreer 12 years ago.
Too late for education, but paramilitary jails would suit them, IMO. But the State doesn't seem to be willing to apply such a solution: almost nothing is done to solve that social mess. Just cleaning up the educational system would be fine start.

Seshmeister
01-17-2006, 09:09 PM
Hey Jérôme I notice you ducked my post...:)

Jérôme Frenchise
01-18-2006, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
Hey Jérôme I notice you ducked my post...:)

:D Oh no, I didn't. I alluded to it, recognized that "in France most of the population cannot speak English and have to manage with the very limited vocab' of the "Franch" language". I had a damn good time reading that kickass post of yours. Hilarious! :D

But I agree, it needs some bumping, really. ;)
So...

I think it's definitely time for countries like Franch to stop teaching their kids obscure minority languages like French and move towards a better world where everyone speaks English like on Star Trek.

Same goes for Germany, Japan, and everyone else.

So right... German, French, Japanese, Russian, Spanish, Portuguese, Chinese, Finnish, Dutch, Arabic, Turkish, Czech, Swedish, and hundreds and hundreds of other languages that are spoken by too proud folks here and there, just for the sake of stating they are "not like anybody", all those harebrained tongues, as compared to the uncomparably rich, brilliant and powerful English language, should all disappear or be kept for folklore, like the mere patois that they are.

What are these peoples who won't do anything any other way than their own?

;) Just kidding. English is rich as far as phrasl verbs, prepositions, the vocabulary of perception (to describe light, sound, for example), but Spanish, French or German (above all), among others, can be considered more precise for other reasons. And obviously, no language at all can be considered as superior to any other. Their variety certainly is part of the wealth of the human mind.
Indeed, having the world speak the same language would surely help, but if Esperanto, for instance, had actually been adopted everywhere and had replaced the more than one thousand spoken languages, it would have been a worlwide cultural, not to say human, disaster.

But... who cares about variety, if English is the only language you want to hear? ;) This is something I've sometimes heard over the years (coming from students who have had trouble learning and understanding English): "Why don't they all speak French like everybody?" :D

[B] What's French for Blumpkin, le Blumpkin? :)

What exactly is "Blumpkin"? Maybe I could tell you how it translates, but I don't know what it means.

Now... :D Here's another idea. Why don't English speaking people start eliminating all those weird words (those of saxon origin), keeping the righteous ones of latin etymology, and develop a new tongue that would be more adapted to the rest of the world? That would be a great improvement.

:D

Seshmeister
01-18-2006, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise
What exactly is "Blumpkin"? Maybe I could tell you how it translates, but I don't know what it means.

Blumpkin

To receive fellatio whist defecating. Highly acclaimed for involving two of the most peasurable bodily release events simultaneously, but very difficult to accomplish. Also called a blumpy.

Also see reverse blumpkin, brother blumpkin, reverse brother blumpkin, and the most dangerous variation of all, the cunnilumpkin.

Success: Everytime they get home after a long road trip, Paul escorts Kim the the bathroom and sits down for a good wholesome blumpkin.

Failure: Maria agreed to give me a blumpkin, but she gave me such a great blowjob that I couldn't squeeze out a single turd.

It's like le helicopter or a thousand other words. French is a dead language like Latin.

Time to move on...:)

Jérôme Frenchise
01-18-2006, 12:56 PM
:D Thanks Phil for all these new English words. As there isn't any translation for either of them into French, I'll suggest some, with the help of a bit of etymology: (:D)

- blumpkin: scatobranlette;

- reverse bllumpkin: scatobranlette rétro;

- cunniblumkin: scatominette

As for brother blumpkin and reverse brother blumpkin, I'm afraid that it implies 2 guys, so I won't bother translating.

Hey, if the words do not exist in French, it must be because Froggies are too refined people to do such things... :p

A dead language... You're not totally wrong: so many new words that have been brought on over the last 30 years have been English words. But they were all technical words very rarely successfully translated (equivalences often sound clumsy), and this is really sad... I personally won't bother changing my 20-year-old Robert dictionary, as almost all that has been added ever since are fucking technical words. :rolleyes: Meanwhile, precious, genuine French words have been suppressed, just because they were hardly ever used... Arrghh! The dictature of majorities...

Hey, when I use unusal words in my classes, I can see that almost none of the students have ever even heard about them (that's why I choose to use them, so as to broaden their vocab). What is worse is they aren't necessarily interested in learning new (for them) words or expressions. So sad, pupils who aren't curious... some of them make me think of dry fruit (which I wouldn't tell them, as I don't want to hurt them).
One day, one student told me that it was useless for him to know such words (it was just a 2-minute aparte) and, being in a more or less bad moon that day, I replied that you can easily live all your life with only 2,000 words, but it all depends on what you consider living is about. :cool:
But I won't complain, as other teachers have to deal with non-educational problems, such as abuse, threats, knives... Yesterday there was another aggression in a high school around Paris. A pupil entered a female teacher's classroom as she was taking one of her classes when a student from another of her classes broke into her classroom. She asked him to leave immediately, but he refused, and he hit her. Nothing more is known for the moment. But it seems it's another sick fashion that's starting up...

Seshmeister
01-18-2006, 02:24 PM
So do people still use words like magnetophone like we were taught at school?

flappo
01-18-2006, 03:15 PM
i thought i told you not to post in my fucking forum , you scottish shithead ?

fuck off and suck lou's cock , you lame jerkoff

blonddgirl777
01-18-2006, 04:26 PM
Jérôme ,

If you would be my teacher (and I would be legal age)...
I would "FORCE YOU" to give me good grades... eaven if I suck in Math!!!

L.O.L.

Seshmeister
01-18-2006, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by flappo
i thought i told you not to post in my fucking forum , you scottish shithead ?

fuck off and suck lou's cock , you lame jerkoff

If it's your forum then edit me.

Have you not got donuts to eat saddo?

Jérôme Frenchise
01-19-2006, 11:20 AM
So do people still use words like magnetophone like we were taught at school?

Sure. Just as we still use them, even. We've heard about "seedies" or something like that, but... :confused:

Jérôme Frenchise
01-19-2006, 11:24 AM
BG, I would be your teacher right away...

Originally posted by blonddgirl777
I suck in Math!!!

... but too bad I don't teach Math! :D

:o

Jérôme Frenchise
01-19-2006, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Ally_Kat
There's no reason why there should be people ahead of me in my program who have yet to pass the first of their teacher certification tests. I was actually worried when I started the testing because I heard a lot of the teacher canidates were failing the tests. I almost got a perfect score. The test was <i>nothing.</i> I say there should be a limit -- if you fail any test within the certification process more than 3 times, you can't continue. But that'll never happen because of shortages and a salary that isn't competitive with other businesses here.

First, congrats for succeeding so well in your studies, Ally. I don't remember what levels you intend to teach in, but I know there is no easy teaching qualification, so bravo!
There are paradoxical situations here, like candidates who failed in their qualifications, but who are employed as supply teachers, from nursery school to high school... They were first declared unable by the institution, then a few months later they wind up doing the job by order from the very same institution, which asks them to conceal the truth from their pupils' parents! :rolleyes:
Is there that kind of absurdity in the American system?

Originally posted by Ally_Kat
Another thing that ticks me off concerns what some teachers can getawaywith as teaching here. My brother is taking a high school psych class. Okay, so it's a high school class and it's not going to get into college level work. But the teachers gets away with doing nothing but showing them movies. While I lkove Pulp Fiction and randomly The Simpsons, I don't see how watching just them all day in class helps the prepare for the college psych class they'll have to take. Just like I don't see how watching Leo in Romeo and Juliet helps them learn about Shakespeare. A treat after reading the play and learning the history behind it, sure. But replacing the text, no.

:eek: Incredible! It sounds about the same as certain parents or baby sitters who will play vids for kids just to get rid of them for an hour or two...
And Shakespeare indeed means nothing else than his plays (crowned by a stage performance, if possible), just like Moliere. Shakespeare can but be betrayed by an adaptation on screen. As they say, always go straight to the top.

Ally_Kat
01-19-2006, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise
First, congrats for succeeding so well in your studies, Ally. I don't remember what levels you intend to teach in, but I know there is no easy teaching qualification, so bravo!
There are paradoxical situations here, like candidates who failed in their qualifications, but who are employed as supply teachers, from nursery school to high school... They were first declared unable by the institution, then a few months later they wind up doing the job by order from the very same institution, which asks them to conceal the truth from their pupils' parents! :rolleyes:
Is there that kind of absurdity in the American system?

You know there is. A teacher is suppose to be certified in order to teach in a classroom. But here in NYC, in public and private institutions alike, there are a lot of un-certified teachers. One chick I go to school with kept complaining how she kept failing the first certification test. She's been teaching public school first grade for 5 years.

The program I'm in is elementary education. That's K-6 here. The test is add this, divide this, read this passage and answer the questions based on it, here's a situation - take a side and write a short essay presenting your views.

And the passages basically are:

During the Great Depression, a lot of people were poor. Many kids went hungry. There were long bread lines. Some families lived in their cars. In general, people learned how to be thrifty.

From reading this passage, which is true about the Great Depression?

a) The Great Depression was a rough time
b) Football players competed in the Great Dust bowl
c) People were depressed because bread lines were long
d) Movies about the Great Depression are often box office hits

Okay, I might be exaggerating a bit, but it's in the general ballpark of the questions.

If I wanted to, right at this minute, I could go work at a private school or a charter school no ifs ands or buts. But they monitor the teachers really closely there. I know at charter schools here, your job is renewed yearly and based on the output your classroom has done. And I know the Catholic schools here are looking for teachers. All you need a bachelor's degree but the school admins do random observations and watch your ass. If I wasn't taking so many classes this semester, I would have so applied to work at my old Catholic elementary school. The pay is less than the public school teachers, but the kids are disciplined there and the parents are far more cooperative.

Douglas T.
01-24-2006, 05:34 PM
At least this time the parent get some punishment!

John L. Hall, 56, of Germantown, was charged with leaving a firearm in a location accessible by an unsupervised minor, contributing to the delinquency of a minor, and possession of a firearm by a felon, according to Montgomery County police.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/01/24/md.child.shot.ap/index.html