PDA

View Full Version : "lefty" Evh Charvel Spotted

Matt White
01-13-2006, 10:14 PM
So...I'm checking out the March 2006 GUITAR WORLD I just got this afternoon...cool tribute to Randy Rhoads....and I start watching the included CD-ROM...Zack Wylde playing the STAR SPANGLED BANNER...on a Dean Dime guitar...a combo flying V and sg....KEWL!!!

Near the end of the tune...the camera pans out...and LOW AND BEHOLD....Zack has a LEFTY EVH Charvel next to him...I remember in the DAVE NAVARO thread in MAIN where somebody thought the camera was reversed...NOPE!!!

You lefty handed guitar players should see it...very KEWL:cool:

frets5150
01-13-2006, 11:27 PM
Huh?
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a83/FRETS5150/1agtrwrldcdrom1.jpg

frets5150
01-13-2006, 11:28 PM
:D

Matt White
01-13-2006, 11:39 PM
Exactly, exactly

Don Corleone
01-14-2006, 10:56 AM
Cool

Big Fat Sammy
01-14-2006, 11:39 AM
Why are these right handers getting left hand Eddie guitars?

BrownSound1
01-14-2006, 12:01 PM
It's the Hendrix effect. When Hendrix flipped a right handed Strat around and played it left handed then tone changed....I'm not kidding! The stagger of the pole pieces is what caused it, because Jimi had it strung as a lefty, and the pickup is setup for a right-handed player. It is an ever so slight tonal difference, but it is there. Of course these EVH guitars have humbuckers, and you can adjust the pole pieces so that is out the window. Also, a lot of guys like the look of playing a lefty guitar...still part of the Hendrix effect. :D

Big Fat Sammy
01-14-2006, 12:10 PM
I see...It always made more sense to me on a standard strat, for it to be upside down, because the bridge pickup angle doesn't have the high strings on the treble.

It seems more balanced when the pickup is "backwards" ...the treble strings aren't as shrill.

It's all in angle of the bridge pickup.

Matt White
01-14-2006, 12:34 PM
BLACKMORE was the first righty I remember playing a left-handed start strung reverse.......trying for the HEndrix look...only backwards....very cool....

Gringo
01-14-2006, 05:58 PM
That Charvel-guitar is the coolest guitar ever! I personally like the black and white-coloured guitar. Of course the red, white and black, and the black and yellow ones are cool as well, but that's my taste.

mako_kimura
01-24-2006, 08:13 PM
If you watch the video for "Goin' Crazy!", during the solo, you'll notice that Steve can play left handed upside down, and it looks awesome!

Big Fat Sammy
01-24-2006, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by mako_kimura
If you watch the video for "Goin' Crazy!", during the solo, you'll notice that Steve can play left handed upside down, and it looks awesome!

And remember he also played that note without either hand on the guitar! :D

BrownSound1
01-24-2006, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by Big Fat Sammy
I see...It always made more sense to me on a standard strat, for it to be upside down, because the bridge pickup angle doesn't have the high strings on the treble.

It seems more balanced when the pickup is "backwards" ...the treble strings aren't as shrill.

It's all in angle of the bridge pickup.

Well all of the pickups are effected too. If you look at a Fender pickup you'll notice that the individual pole pieces are glued at different heights. When you flip those around, then you have those pole pieces either closer or further away from the stings than they normally would be...thus changing the way all of the pickups sound. In fact you can get some Duncan pickups with a "left hand stagger" mod.

mako_kimura
02-04-2006, 01:36 AM
Cool. Course, I shouldn't be talking, I have a left handed Strat, and all the pole pieces are even. Which is due to the fact I know nothing about my guitar's history, except it has a righty trem arm, 21 frets, and no backplate

Matt White
02-05-2006, 01:31 PM
GRATE

jhale667
02-05-2006, 03:22 PM
Actually, the lefty neck also changes the string tension because of the reversed string-to-peg length...makes it feel way more 'buttery' for lack of a better term, more like a Les Paul. I have a couple of reverse headstock necks on my guitars for that reason...I did it on the 1st for the quirky look and then discovered I loved the different feel. Haven't tried any reverse-stagger pickups yet....

scottd1984
02-23-2006, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Matt White
BLACKMORE was the first righty I remember playing a left-handed start strung reverse.......trying for the HEndrix look...only backwards....very cool.... Joe Perry used to pull out a left hand Strat strung right hand for "Sweet emotion" back in the '70s as well.. i'll try and find a picture