PDA

View Full Version : Looks Like Another War

Unchainme
01-14-2006, 01:26 PM
Iran on nuclear collision course
By Jim Muir
BBC News

There is a strange-looking building alongside the headquarters of the Iranian Atomic Energy Organisation, in its spacious compound in north-central Tehran.

It looks like an early attempt at a modernistic mosque. There is a big, rather flat dome, with a tall, square column sticking up beside it, that could be a minaret.

But this is, in fact, the Tehran Nuclear Research Reactor - and there is nothing particularly secret about it.

Many Iranians feel the West's policy is hypocritical

In fact, I was allowed to film there several times, though we had to make sure the call to prayer was not going on at the time, otherwise people would have thought it really was a mosque.

The reactor was the first foundation-stone in Iran's nuclear programme. It was constructed back in the 1950s.

By now, you have probably guessed who built it. That is right - the Americans. They even gave the Iranians some highly-enriched uranium to experiment with as well.

'Double standard'

Of course, things were very different then. Iran was ruled by the Shah, and the Islamic revolution was still in the distant future.

Iran's government is sticking to its guns over its nuclear ambitions

The point is that there is so much geopolitics and hype surrounding the Iranian nuclear issue, that it is hard to get an objective perspective on it.

It is of course the Americans who are now prodding the campaign to pressure the Iranians into giving up their nuclear ambitions. The US and Iran have been bitterly at odds since the Iranian revolution in 1979 and the hostage-taking at the US embassy in Tehran.

Today, American forces practically encircle Iran. They are on warships in the Gulf, in bases on its Arab side, and all over the place in neighbouring Afghanistan to the east, and Iraq to the west.

Hard-liners in Washington clearly hope, that after the Taleban and Saddam Hussein, the Islamic regime in Tehran will be next to go.

So it is not surprising that they should seize the nuclear issue as a stick with which to beat Iran - and equally unsurprising that Tehran should see the mounting international pressure as an American-orchestrated campaign to force an independent nation into submission.

That is an argument that goes down well with many ordinary Iranians, including some who are not fans of the Islamic regime. It is hard for them not to agree that there is a double standard at play.

Everybody knows, they say, that America's closest regional ally Israel, has basements full of nuclear weapons, but nobody says a word about it. Nearby Pakistan and India both have the bomb too. So why not us?

Conservative victory

The authorities, of course, insist that they are not after nuclear arms, just peaceful power. But there is a nationalist streak in most Iranians.

Hostility to the US has been high since the days of the hostage crisis

Many would be proud if they did join the nuclear club, and assume that is what their leaders are trying to do, though some would not want the bombs to be in the hands of the current regime.

Whether the West likes it or not, it has become an issue of national pride, which is why there is not much audible dissent across the normally fractious political spectrum.

But that is not to say that there no different approaches. Until late 2003, it looked as though the nuclear issue might just act as a bridge to draw Iran out of its isolation.

While insisting on their right in principle to develop their own nuclear fuel, a combination of reformists and pragmatic conservatives agreed with Britain, France and Germany to suspend Iran's enrichment activities.

At one moment, it even looked as though Tehran had driven a considerable wedge between the three big European powers, and the US.

But then two years ago came a lurch towards the hard line, when the conservatives won general elections, and then took the presidency last year.

Iraqi example

The detente fostered by former President Mohammad Khatami has gone down the drain, along with the goodwill of men like British Foreign Secretary Jack Straw, who made more trips to Tehran than to anywhere else. The European carrot has become a stick.

At the moment, it looks as though Iran has gone into reverse, on a course that may lead to greater isolation and diplomatic and economic pressures.

It is not yet certain that it will face international sanctions after referral to the UN Security Council.

It always used to slip off the hook at the last moment, though the new hardline leaders, especially the president, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, is less inclined and less adept at that.

If it does come to the crunch, Iran will not be an easy nut to crack - especially on this issue, where there is not likely to be a big split between the regime and the people.

A few years ago, some Iranians were tempted to think that the Americans might be able to bring them a better life. But now, looking at the chaos just next door in Iraq, they have had second thoughts.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/from_our_own_correspondent/4612068.stm

Unchainme
01-14-2006, 01:27 PM
Maybe they really are going to have to bring back the draft :(

Phil theStalker
01-14-2006, 06:21 PM
No draft since Vietnam f4or a reason.

The mmarching in da streets is ova.

Next stop, revolt!

Aff dis gov does anything like dat tit will show dat it's just like Hitler's gov.

true dat

:spank:

HITLER ANNOUNCES INVASION OF POLAND

Big Troubles
01-14-2006, 06:41 PM
Iran has the right to do the research. I think beyond that it becomes an international issue. But again, I dont think Iran cares. People get scared when they find out that the enemy has the same capabilities of destruction as we do. It would be nice if we all just went back to throwing snowballs and wads of spit paper.

Phil theStalker
01-14-2006, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Big Troubles
Iran has the right to do the research. I think beyond that it becomes an international issue. But again, I dont think Iran cares. People get scared when they find out that the enemy has the same capabilities of destruction as we do. It would be nice if we all just went back to throwing snowballs and wads of spit paper. After da Third Werld War dat's wot we'll bee doing.;)

BOSTON MASSACRE
THEY WERE THROWING SNOWBALLS IN BOSTON BEF4ORE BANG BANG!

Phil theStalker
01-14-2006, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Big Troubles
It would be nice if we all just went back to throwing snowballs and wads of spit paper. VETERANS OF STUDY HALL WARS

Jerry Falwell
01-14-2006, 11:46 PM
I don't think we HAVE to do anything about this in all honesty. I seriously doubt that Israel will allow Iran to develope nuclear weapons. For that matter, France and Germany better watch out too. Afterall, Iran's crackpot leadership is trying to pave the way for their messiah.

FORD
01-14-2006, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by Jerry Falwell
Afterall, (the BCE's) crackpot leadership is trying to pave the way for (the return of the one they falsely claim as) their messiah.

Jerry Falwell
01-14-2006, 11:52 PM
Ford, that's an idiotic statement.

You should know that the BCE believes that their Messiah has already come. :D

FORD
01-15-2006, 12:40 AM
Ford, that's an idiotic statement.

You should know that the BCE believes that their Messiah has already come. :D

Yes, but the real Jesus does not know them :(

(Matthew 25)

Va Beach VH Fan
01-15-2006, 10:13 AM
I just find it funny that when it comes to airstrikes, sending in troops, etc., no one EVER mentions North Korea...

It just might be that they think those crazy fuckers will actually use those nukes...

Smart move...

Nickdfresh
01-15-2006, 10:25 AM
A very good point..

Also, I hope nobody thinks that one airstrike on a reactor is going to set back IRAN, like the Israelis did in 1981 to Iraq. Iran is smarter than that, and has long dispersed their research and it's believed some of it is conducted underground...

LoungeMachine
01-15-2006, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
I just find it funny that when it comes to airstrikes, sending in troops, etc., no one EVER mentions North Korea...

It just might be that they think those crazy fuckers will actually use those nukes...

Smart move...

North Korea has Oil ?????

[johnnie carson impression] I did not know that

;)

No Oil?
No War

Know Oil?
Know War
:cool:

NATEDOG001976
01-15-2006, 10:38 AM
A great solution for Iran, drop 5 nukes on them!

Cathedral
01-15-2006, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by NATEDOG001976

Great?
Not hardly when you consider where five nukes worth of Fallout is going to go.
Do you think Irans neighbors would appreciate us infecting their people with radiation?
Or how about our troops surrounding Iran?
And how long before it cycles around to our own country?

This idea is anything but a great one if you ask me.

Let's hope diplomacy works this time, though i can already tell you that Bush isn't all that interested in diplomacy any more than he was with Iraq.
If the UN is unresponsive this time, it will be a repeat of Iraq and like Iraq, I don't see them taking any action unless they do it to steer us off the war path.

I think i actually saw Bush salvating over the concept of attacking Iraq in his last speech...He wouldn't hesitate either.

But guess what, the fan is running and the shit is in position to fly, guarenteed.

flatbroke
01-15-2006, 02:46 PM
Dealing with a nuclear Iran is not a matter of a good versus a bad choice, but between a very bad one now and something far, far worse to come.

Iran should not be allowed to arm its current missiles with nukes - especially after the latest rantings of their leader Ahmadinejad. He has threatened the destruction of Israel and has since proceeded to violate international protocols aimed at monitoring Iran’s nuclear industry.

Nickdfresh
01-15-2006, 02:52 PM

Yeah, nuke the whole world.:rolleyes: Yeah, kill millions because their gov't is led by douche bags...

FORD
01-15-2006, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Cathedral
Great?
Do you think Irans neighbors would appreciate us infecting their people with radiation?

The neighbors to the North and distant East, specifically.......
http://kaladarshan.arts.ohio-state.edu/jpgs/maps/Iran.jpeg
...one of them which still has a number of warheads which were built to hit this continent, and the other country having the capacity to raise a HUGE army.

Yeah, let's piss off Russia and China just to satisfy the paranoia of those Likud shit for brains.

Makes perfect sense to me :rolleyes:

flatbroke
01-15-2006, 03:29 PM
Any country that burns off some of its natural gas at the wellhead while claiming that it needs nuclear power for domestic energy is simply lying.

If Iran can play brinkmanship now on just the promise of nuclear weapons, imagine what will happen when it acquires them, especially since their country is not headed by secular leaders. The West should press the U.N. much more aggressively — repeatedly and call for more resolutions, and, ultimately, for sanctions, boycotts, and embargos if necessary.

Cathedral
01-15-2006, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by flatbroke
Any country that burns off some of its natural gas at the wellhead while claiming that it needs nuclear power for domestic energy is simply lying.

If Iran can play brinkmanship now on just the promise of nuclear weapons, imagine what will happen when it acquires them, especially since their country is not headed by secular leaders. The West should press the U.N. much more aggressively — repeatedly and call for more resolutions, and, ultimately, for sanctions, boycotts, and embargos if necessary.

I fully agree, Diplomacy should be the course. but it won't be for long and we all know it.

I just understand that there isn't much we can do about it. actually, there is nothing we can do about it short of military action.

It's clear to me that Iran will proceed as the world continues talking about it. So the threat is growing daily.

Unchainme
01-15-2006, 06:44 PM

Yeah thats real brilliant, Not only are we killing millions of people in the area, really elevating our opinion of the people of the world. Destorying the enviorment propelling us to a nuclear winter is also a good reason too. and like FORD said tick China and Russia off into a Full Scale War, where face it they could very much kick our ass in. Nothing like making the US look like the cover of Peace Sells, Eh? :rolleyes:.

http://www.utdallas.edu/~arw023000/pics/peace_sells.jpg

Jerry Falwell
01-15-2006, 08:01 PM
My brother's fiance is from Iran. Her family tells me that Iran is so different than it is portrayed in the news. According to them, if the economy gets any worse over there the country could end up in a civil war of some sort. Most of the people over there are not as crazy as the ones leading the country. The younger generation is especially upset with their gov't.

Nickdfresh
01-15-2006, 08:08 PM
My brother's fiance is from Iran. Her family tells me that Iran is so different than it is portrayed in the news. According to them, if the economy gets any worse over there the country could end up in a civil war of some sort. Most of the people over there are not as crazy as the ones leading the country. The younger generation is especially upset with their gov't.

Actually those that pay attention to the news will get the the same impression. That douche bag won the presidency because we kept sabre rattling. A lot of the Iranian young people are rejecting the fundamentalist stuff...

FORD
01-15-2006, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
That douche bag won the presidency because we kept sabre rattling.

See, the Iranians ain't that different from us after all. :)

Phil theStalker
01-15-2006, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by Unchainme
Yeah thats real brilliant, Not only are we killing millions of people in the area, really elevating our opinion of the people of the world. Destorying the enviorment propelling us to a nuclear winter is also a good reason too. and like FORD said tick China and Russia off into a Full Scale War, where face it they could very much kick our ass in. Nothing like making the US look like the cover of Peace Sells, Eh? :rolleyes:. O1nce again I see the intelligent o1nes posting sense aboot Iran's close ties t2o Russia and China. O1ne point that has been missed. Mainly, Russia has hundreds of technicians on the ground at those facilities. Any attack would surely kill these Russian nationals. It's why Hanoi harbor was never bombed.

Do not look f4or the United States t2o intervene militarily in such states.

What do you trolls think Russia would do if that happened? Yoo probably don't know and your answer would be 'nuke Russia like Patton wanTITed t2o' or something trollish.

That place is not going t2o be attacked militarily from anyone unless they want t2o deal with starting a war against Russia. Iran knows this and this is why it is so bold in the faces of fools like Bush, Cheney, and the woman who the only thing she ever did bef4ore getting a job at the White House was t2o get her boss fired at the college she was working at (i.e., no experience, no foreign policy experience, nothing but a proven backstabber = neocon Rice).

Put a can of beans away t2onight.

:mad:

Yep trolls, your posts are nonsense. Don't you ever get tired aff yoor ignorance?:rolleyes:

Nickdfresh
01-15-2006, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by FORD

Exactly, exactly!

LoungeMachine
01-15-2006, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by FORD

They're being spied upon by a dolt of a leader who came into power with a coup?????

Jerry Falwell
01-15-2006, 09:56 PM
I will say this though, this Iranian Leader needs to be overthrown soon. If not, there might just be some sort of conflict that leaves many innocent people dead and a fallout that affects even more worldwide. So, I for one hope that something happens to difuse this situation.

See, I'm not a gun-ho righty that believes that war is the answer to everything. :D

LoungeMachine
01-15-2006, 10:03 PM
I will say this though, this Iranian Leader needs to be overthrown soon.

I hear Saddam is available.....

Phil theStalker
01-15-2006, 10:14 PM
I will say this though, this Iranian Leader needs to be overthrown soon. If not, there might just be some sort of conflict that leaves many innocent people dead and a fallout that affects even more worldwide. So, I for one hope that something happens to difuse this situation.

See, I'm not a gun-ho righty that believes that war is the answer to everything. :D Butt doo yoo like warm pie?:confused:

Jerry Falwell
01-16-2006, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by Phil theStalker
Butt doo yoo like warm pie?:confused:

Only if it's Gooseberry Pie...
MMMmmmm-MMMmmmm Good!

NATEDOG001976
01-17-2006, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by Cathedral
Great?
Or how about our troops surrounding Iran?
And how long before it cycles around to our own country?

This idea is anything but a great one if you ask me.

Let's hope diplomacy works this time, though i can already tell you that Bush isn't all that interested in diplomacy any more than he was with Iraq.
If the UN is unresponsive this time, it will be a repeat of Iraq and like Iraq, I don't see them taking any action unless they do it to steer us off the war path.

I think i actually saw Bush salvating over the concept of attacking Iraq in his last speech...He wouldn't hesitate either.

But guess what, the fan is running and the shit is in position to fly, guarenteed.

It was a joke saying that. But I must say, I've very tired of these middles eastern countries and their Anti-USA crap. If they get a nuke I do think they would use it. If we have to go back to war to stop that, I'm ok with that..and if a draft came into place I would gladly go.