PDA

View Full Version : Cronkite: Time for US to Leave Iraq

DLR'sCock
01-16-2006, 07:10 PM
Cronkite: Time for US to Leave Iraq
By David Bauder
The Associated Press

Sunday 15 January 2006

Former CBS anchor Walter Cronkite, whose 1968 conclusion that the Vietnam War was unwinnable keenly influenced public opinion then, said Sunday he'd say the same thing today about Iraq.

"It's my belief that we should get out now," Cronkite said in a meeting with reporters.

Now 89, the television journalist once known as "the most trusted man in America" has been off the "CBS Evening News" for nearly a quarter-century. He's still a CBS News employee, although he does little for them.

Cronkite said one of his proudest moments came at the end of a 1968 documentary he made following a visit to Vietnam during the Tet offensive. Urged by his boss to briefly set aside his objectivity to give his view of the situation, Cronkite said the war was unwinnable and that the U.S. should exit.

Then-President Lyndon Johnson reportedly told a White House aide after that, "If I've lost Cronkite, I've lost Middle America."

The best time to have made a similar statement about Iraq came after Hurricane Katrina, he said.

"We had an opportunity to say to the world and Iraqis after the hurricane disaster that Mother Nature has not treated us well and we find ourselves missing the amount of money it takes to help these poor people out of their homeless situation and rebuild some of our most important cities in the United States," he said. "Therefore, we are going to have to bring our troops home."

Iraqis should have been told that "our hearts are with you" and that the United States would do all it could to rebuild their country, he said.

"I think we could have been able to retire with honor," he said. "In fact, I think we can retire with honor anyway."

Cronkite has spoken out against the Iraq war in the past, saying in 2004 that Americans weren't any safer because of the invasion.

Cronkite, who is hard of hearing and walks haltingly, jokingly said that "I'm standing by if they want me" to anchor the "CBS Evening News." CBS is still searching for a permanent successor to Dan Rather, who replaced Cronkite in March 1981.

"Twenty-four hours after I told CBS News that I was stepping down at my 65th birthday I was already regretting it and I've regretted it every day since," he said. "It's too good a job for me to have given it up the way that I did."

-------

jhale667
01-16-2006, 07:21 PM
....Counting the seconds until some resident Neocon says Cronkite is 'senile'... :rolleyes:

Nickdfresh
01-16-2006, 07:21 PM
He called it in 68.'

LoungeMachine
01-16-2006, 08:26 PM
Cronkite was an extra in Jaws.....

Was there for the filming most every day.....

Thought I'd fill the dead air while the Neo-Cons decide what to call Uncle Walter.....

thome
01-16-2006, 08:31 PM
I being the, jag off that I am, want to know why his OP, is of any more
value than mine ..?

LoungeMachine
01-16-2006, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by thome
value than mine ..?

:rolleyes:

Just answered your own question, jagoff.......

Do you really think you have the same life experiences, education, professional contacts, and overall grasp on world politics and military manuevers as someone who worked at a major network for 40 years????

Get over yourself, trailer rat. :rolleyes:

Nickdfresh
01-16-2006, 08:40 PM
value than mine ..?

I dunno,' he does write on a 12th grade, or greater, level...

4moreyears
01-16-2006, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
I dunno,' he does write on a 12th grade, or greater, level...

Well hopefully you can get to the 12 grade soon. What the Fuck kind of word is dunno. For someone to have the balls to critique someone's english and speak like that is a joke. This proves how fucking stupid you are.

Warham
01-16-2006, 09:50 PM
Walter Cronkite shits all over Dan Rather.

jhale667
01-16-2006, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by 4moreyears
Well hopefully you can get to the 12 grade soon. What the Fuck kind of word is dunno. For someone to have the balls to critique someone's english and speak like that is a joke. This proves how fucking stupid you are.

Dunno what dunno means? That would be 'slang'...which is different altogether from 'illiteracy' :D

From Wikipeda:
Slang is the non-standard use of words in a language of a particular social group, and sometimes the creation of new words or importation of words from another language. It is a type of neologism. Slang can be described as deviating away from standard language use. Slang functions in two ways; the creation of new language and new usage by a process of creative informal use and adaptation, and the creation of a secret language understood only by those within a group intended to understand it.

jhale667
01-16-2006, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Warham

Anyone who calls themselves a TV Journalist prays to that man's altar...or damn well should.

LoungeMachine
01-16-2006, 10:34 PM

Keep your fantasies to yourself, poop-boy

jhale667
01-16-2006, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
Keep your fantasies to yourself, poop-boy

Didn't think he meant it THAT way....eeeeeeeeeewwwwww:uck: LMAO

LoungeMachine
01-16-2006, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by jhale667
Didn't think he meant it THAT way....eeeeeeeeeewwwwww:uck: LMAO

wanna bet? :cool:

bantonelli
01-16-2006, 10:44 PM
I read that article on Cronkite yesterday and thought that if someone called in to ROTH, it might be an interesting topic regarding IRAQ, since Cronkite is an American Legend in the Network Broadcasting world and we as kids remember seeing him on TV.

If President Johnson had major respect for Cronkite when he felt it was time to pull troops from Vietnam, I wonder if Bush would feel the same?

Love to hear ROTH's perspective of this..he must have some opinion on old Uncle Cronkite.

LoungeMachine
01-16-2006, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by bantonelli
I

I wonder if Bush would feel the same?

Chimpy doesn't read newspapers, or watch TV news.....

In fact, he insulates himself from any negative information/opinions.....

As to him "feeling"........all evidence to the contrary

jhale667
01-16-2006, 10:53 PM
Hasn't he gone on record saying as much? Well, except for the whole 'feeling' thing ;)?

LoungeMachine
01-16-2006, 10:54 PM
He will though, read "My Pet Goat".......given the chance [and help with the big words]

jhale667
01-16-2006, 10:56 PM
And if someone turns it right-side UP for him ;)

jhale667
01-16-2006, 10:58 PM
"Do WHUT?" :D

Warham
01-16-2006, 11:12 PM
wanna bet? :cool:

Sorry if I insulted your hero, Dan Blather.

thome
01-16-2006, 11:20 PM

Just answered your own question, jagoff.......

Do you really think you have the same life experiences, education, professional contacts, and overall grasp on world politics and military manuevers as someone who worked at a major network for 40 years????

Get over yourself, trailer rat. :rolleyes:

An that's the way it was......... What a hook, got you line an sinker.

Hero worship. Of a talking Head on a Nightly news cast where he
read did and said what his puppetmaster told him .

And that's the way it is...............

jhale667
01-16-2006, 11:32 PM

Hero worship. Of a talking Head on a Nightly news cast where he
read did and said what his puppetmaster told him .

And that's the way it is...............

Bullshit. How many wars did that guy cover, from the trenches, not the safety of a television studio? How many world leaders did he interview? How much has that guy SEEN in 40+ years as a journalist? He's not someone I would consider a talking head. Respect is in no way hero worship. Was LBJ suffering from 'hero worship' when he made that statement?

Nickdfresh
01-17-2006, 04:03 AM
Originally posted by 4moreyears
Well hopefully you can get to the 12 grade soon.

I think you mean "the 12th" grade shit-for-brains, or grade-12...

Try not to be stupid you moron.

What the Fuck kind of word is dunno.

Firstly, if you're asking a question, use a question-mark fucktard.

It's called slang you retard...

It's not "dunno." It's dunno' with an apostrophe, which shows that I realize I am deviating from the conventions of standard written English and using accepted slang for "don't know." Maybe they don't teach that in Illinois special education resource rooms, demand more from your high school, loser!

For someone to have the balls to critique someone's english and speak like that is a joke. This proves how fucking stupid you are.

Yeah right, the resident dick bad that fucks up every post, and is a complete SHEEP-LINKS troll joke with a homoerotic fixation of FORD says what?

Warham
01-17-2006, 07:12 AM
Walter Cronkite is a sycophant.

thome
01-17-2006, 04:10 PM
Walter Cronkite could LEAD THE ENTIRE FULL NATURAL POLITICAL WORLD

With his Eight (8) second Newscaster Robot responses On the Trivial pursuit World Politics Game, by Hasbro.

He, would be better at speeking in depth -of issues - of politics on the
T.V.Game of Jeapordy 7 word responses will be his limit. Preceded by
2 min's of slow Jimmy Stewart rip off stylistic dronned out drivvle.

Sorry ,Id rather put -my words- to a Phd.In the study of world political
diversity in the 19th & 20th century, to get the unbiased truth.

My OP.

DrMaddVibe
01-18-2006, 06:52 AM
Cronkite?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Hardrock69
01-18-2006, 09:39 AM

Walter Cronkite shits all over 4moreyears.

Seshmeister
01-18-2006, 10:01 AM
Thought I'd fill the dead air while the Neo-Cons decide what to call Uncle Walter.....

Not to mention the 5 minutes it takes everyone to scroll past DLRCocks huge signature yet again with it's annoying red x at the top...

Guitar Shark
01-19-2006, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
Not to mention the 5 minutes it takes everyone to scroll past DLRCocks huge signature yet again with it's annoying red x at the top...

LOL... :D

diamondD
01-19-2006, 01:29 PM
No shit. Are we supposed to actually look at that crap for months?