PDA

View Full Version : Cheney is Running a Shadow Government, Claims Watergate Aide

Pink Spider
04-04-2004, 02:22 PM
http://www.commondreams.org/headlines04/0404-03.htm

by Julian Coman in Washington

G Gordon Liddy, the former FBI agent who masterminded the Watergate burglary on behalf of Richard Nixon, once said that he would like to kill John Dean by shoving a pencil through his neck.

This week, as the cerebral Mr Dean publishes Worse than Watergate: the Secret Presidency of George W. Bush, the sentiment is likely to be shared by many in Mr Bush's White House.

Thirty-one years ago Mr Dean - Nixon's legal counsel - began co-operating with prosecutors into the Watergate burglary, revealing the inner workings of the most secretive and manipulative administration in American history.

Now, in the latest political blockbuster, Mr Dean "testifies" against President Bush and Vice-President Richard Cheney, accusing them of trumping his former boss when it comes to political sharp practice.

He accuses them of wilfully misleading Congress over the nature of the threat posed by Saddam Hussein before the war in Iraq, and of "stonewalling" over inquiries into the events of September 11.

Much of the blame for the White House style, he suggests, lies with Mr Cheney, who is "by nature a secretive man" who "wants to turn the clock back to pre-Watergate styles of Imperial Presidency".

Mr Dean also claims that the administration's aggressive approach to rebels and mavericks follows a Nixonian pattern, while being even more ruthless. He cites the "outing" of Valerie Plame, a CIA officer whose husband, Joe Wilson, rejected administration claims that Saddam had attempted to buy uranium from Niger.

"When it comes to dealing with dissenters and those willing to speak the truth," said Mr Dean, "this administration is putting Nixon to shame."

He adds: "If Nixon was a member of this administration, he would be scratching his head at what they are up to. He was obsessively secretive - and became so increasingly about national security matters - and overstepped the mark. But only over Watergate. Other than that he was relatively open. But this White House takes secrecy and political expediency as its general mode of operation."

Mr Dean was summarily fired by Nixon and later served four months in jail for obstructing the inquiry into a plot to burgle the offices of the Democratic National Committee.

ELVIS
04-04-2004, 02:27 PM
Commondreams.org ??

ELVIS
04-04-2004, 02:27 PM
..and yes I read it...

FORD
04-04-2004, 02:35 PM
Commondreams.org is every bit as valid of a news source as your favorite site the Sierra Times.

And I've posted articles from both :)

knuckleboner
04-04-2004, 02:44 PM
yeah, that may be true. but some dude who was shitcanned from the inner workings of an administration thirty years ago knows what's going on in this administration?

man, if i didn't know better, i'd think this guy is just shoveling unproven bullshit in order to sell his book...

FORD
04-04-2004, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by knuckleboner
yeah, that may be true. but some dude who was shitcanned from the inner workings of an administration thirty years ago knows what's going on in this administration?

man, if i didn't know better, i'd think this guy is just shoveling unproven bullshit in order to sell his book...

It's the same cast of characters to some extent. Cheney, Rummy, etc. were all in the Nixon administration as well. The BCE has been involved in every Republican administration since WWII. Prescott Bush himself chose Nixon as Eisenhower's running mate.

ELVIS
04-04-2004, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by FORD
Commondreams.org is every bit as valid of a news source as your favorite site the Sierra Times.

And I've posted articles from both :)

Only when you think you see a liberal slanted view posted there...

Sierra Times is real.. Common dreams is not...

FORD
04-04-2004, 03:59 PM
I haven't seen a "liberal" view at that site once. Just sane conservative views. As opposed to insane neocon fascism of the BCE.

ELVIS
04-04-2004, 04:03 PM
He might be comming around ladies and gentlemen...:D

FORD
04-04-2004, 05:41 PM
I never said there weren't sane conservatives. Hell, even partially sane ones would be an improvement at this point. I don't agree with Pat Buchanan or Bob Barr very much, but it's good to know that they oppose the PNAC agenda.

What's truly sickening are the insane "Democrats" supporting it :(

ELVIS
04-04-2004, 06:03 PM
Pat Buchanan makes sense sometimes...

knuckleboner
04-04-2004, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by FORD
It's the same cast of characters to some extent. Cheney, Rummy, etc. were all in the Nixon administration as well.

so be it. but that 30 years ago, this dude knew many of the current administration personnel still doesn't mean he has any more clue than i do about what's going on TODAY. and hell, i'm guessing he's actually got less of a clue...

John Ashcroft
04-05-2004, 10:53 AM
What I find funny is all of a sudden he has credibility at commiedreams.org. Wonder how the libs felt about this character a month ago?