PDA

View Full Version : If You Feel Like You're Being Watched...

blueturk
01-17-2006, 07:10 AM
Tue, Jan. 17, 2006

Feel as if you're being watched? It's true; you are

Efforts to gather and analyze information on U.S. citizens expand

LAURA K. DONOHUE-Los Angeles Times

Congress will soon hold hearings on the National Security Agency's domestic spying program, secretly authorized by President Bush in 2002. But that is just the tip of the iceberg.

Since Sept. 11, 2001, the expansion of efforts to gather and analyze information on U.S. citizens is nothing short of staggering. The government collects vast troves of data, including consumer credit histories and medical and travel records. Databases track Americans' networks of friends, family and associates, not just to identify who is a terrorist but to try to predict who might become one.

Remember Total Information Awareness, retired Adm. John Poindexter's effort to harness all government and commercial databases to pre-empt national security threats? The idea was that disparate, seemingly mundane behaviors can reveal criminal intent when viewed together. More disturbing, it assumed that deviance from social norms can be an early indicator of terrorism. Congress killed that program in 2003, but related projects continued.

The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency runs a data-mining program called Evidence Extraction and Link Discovery, which connects pieces of information from vast amounts of data sources. The Defense Intelligence Agency trawls intelligence records and the Internet to identify Americans connected to foreign terrorists. The CIA reportedly runs Quantum Leap, which gathers personal information on individuals from private and public sources. In 2002, Congress authorized $500 million for the Homeland Security Department to develop "data mining and other advanced analytical tools." In 2004, the General Accounting Office surveyed 128 federal departments and agencies to determine the extent of data mining. It found 199 operations, 14 of which related to counterterrorism.

What type of information could these mine? Your tax, education, vehicle, criminal and welfare records for starters. But also other digital data, such as your travel, medical and insurance records -- and DNA tests. Section 505 of the Patriot Act extends the type of information the government can obtain without a warrant to include credit card records, bank account numbers and information on Internet use.
Your checking account may tell which charities or political causes you support. Your credit card statements show where you shop, and your supermarket frequent-buyer-card records may indicate whether you keep kosher or follow an Islamic "halal" diet. Internet searches record your interests, down to what, exactly, you read. Faith forums or chat rooms offer a window into your thoughts and beliefs. E-mail and phone conversations contain intimate details of your life.

A University of Illinois study found that in the 12 months following Sept. 11, federal agents made at least 545 visits to libraries to obtain information about patrons.

The Patriot Act allows law enforcement officers to get "sneak and peek" warrants to search a home for any suspected crime -- and to wait months or even years to tell the owner they were there. Last July, the Justice Department told the House Judiciary Committee that only 12 percent of the 153 "sneak and peek" warrants it received were related to terrorism investigations.

When Congress looks into domestic spying in the "war on terror," it should ask a series of questions:

First, what information, exactly, is being collected? Are other programs ignoring traditional warrant requirements? Are federal agencies dodging weak privacy laws by outsourcing the job to private contractors?

Second, who has access to the data once it is collected, and what legal restrictions are set on how it can be used or shared?

Third, who authorized data mining, and is its use restricted to identifying terrorists?

Fourth, what is the collective effect of these programs on citizens' rights?

Fifth, how do these data collection and mining operations deal with error? As anyone who's tried to dispute an erroneous credit report can attest, once computer networks exchange data, it may be difficult to verify its accuracy or where it entered the system. Citizens who do not know they are under surveillance cannot challenge inaccurate information.

What will Congress do to ensure that the innocent remain so?

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/observer/news/opinion/13642119.htm

Phil theStalker
01-17-2006, 10:00 AM
Yes.

There were cops all ova mme yeeasterday like fuzz.

Doo yoo think dat's why they call them da fuzzz? huh

I'm axing a question here.

Is ddis a police state or a fuzzy state?

I'm axing another question here.

:spank:

ELVIS
01-17-2006, 11:44 AM
Consider your question axed...

I don't feel like i'm being watched...

FORD
01-17-2006, 01:34 PM
There is none so blind as he who will not see.....

Cathedral
01-17-2006, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by FORD
There is none so blind as he who will not see.....

Your tin foil beenie is just a size too big and it's blocking your view.

One size does NOT fit all, bro. :)

FORD
01-17-2006, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Cathedral
Your tin foil beenie is just a size too big and it's blocking your view.

One size does NOT fit all, bro. :)

As Bob Dylan once said, "You don't have to be a weatherman to see which way the wind blows.."

Cathedral
01-17-2006, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by FORD
As Bob Dylan once said, "You don't have to be a weatherman to see which way the wind blows.."

Especially after i've had spicey food, phew, you don't want any of that, lol.

Warham
01-17-2006, 05:54 PM
If you're afraid of being watched, chances are, you are doing something illegal.

jhale667
01-17-2006, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by Warham
If you're afraid of being watched, chances are, you are doing something illegal.

Bullshit. By their logic, us discussing this shit on the internet could be considered 'disruptive', and we could all go on a 'watch' list...YOU TOO...even though you say 'you libs' every other post...that could be considered a code-word you use to activate a 'terra-ist' sleeper cell....;)

Nickdfresh
01-17-2006, 06:47 PM

How would you if they don't tell you?

Phil theStalker
01-17-2006, 07:16 PM
Poor Warham Another Dumb Post

Wrong again, WH.

Another short, shallow, superficial and very dangerous point of view, again. You're very dangerous. People like you are very dangerous.

The pillars of freedom and a free state, culture, and society are directly reflected in despotism throughout history by tyrants with spys and informants. It's the true sign of despotism, a dictaorship, and of a tyranny.

It's not how we are going t2o live.

Did you ever go t2o college, WH? You didn't need t2o. There are t2oo many Phd's who think the way you do. You really only need t2o know how t2o read and think t2o know where t2o get the facts and what t2o do with them. Here are the facts. What you do with them is your business. I'm trying t2o help.

Here is something profound yet simple enough f4or even you t2o understand. It's a definition you may find interesting that refutes your weak underdeveloped, immature point of view. And, bef4ore you show your lack of education and intelligent again about this man's point of view on the subject just think about how many books this man has been quoted in and writtien about on through history and how many books you've been quoted in and written in about. The founding fathers of the U.S.A. studied Aristole's writings in Greek. Do you know how t2o read Greek? Then it's a good thing it's in English f4or you.

Here is Aristotle's quote (in English):

"Of the tyrant, spies and informers are the principle instruments. War is his favorite occupation, for the sake of engrossing the attention of the people, and making himself necessary to them as their leader."
-ARISTOTLE

Aren't you glad you didn't have t2o learn Greek t2o understand this intellectual point of view that hasn't changed since ancient times?

Let's take Aristotle's same quote (not yours) o1ne step further and compare it's defintion of the tyrant not t2o Hitler's Nazi-con Germany, but t2o the neo-cons of t2oday, shall we.

"Of the tyrant, spies and informers are the principle instruments (Patriot Act, illegal Presidential wiretaps on American citizens, etc.). War is his favoritte occupation (Afganistan, Iraq, + 60 countries on the list like Iran, Syria, etc.), for the sake of engrossing the attention of the people, and making himself necessary to them as their leader (Bush/Clinton leadership of 'GLOBALISM'=corporatism/fascism)."

I'll stop.

I don't want t2o over tax your brain. Although you sound like you wouldn't be troubled at all with 'over taxing', 'spies, informers', and 'tyrants'.

Let me give you o1ne more quote and some good advice in it f4or you and your kind who think the way you do.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
-SAMUEL ADAMS, August 1, 1776

Think about it, honey.

You're no Betsy Ross here or anywhere in any time of history. You think more like Hitler's gal, a true Nazi and hater of liberty and a truly free society. You would have loved Hitler's Germany.

Keep trying t2o be an American in the likeness of Samuel Adams or Thomas Jefferson or George Washington (all men). It takes more than just being born on U.S. soil t2o be a REAL American. I wish f4or you all the luck t2o attain that bef4ore it's t2oo...

=PtS=

Phil theStalker
01-17-2006, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
How would you if they don't tell you? I wanTITed my post t2o be as short as yours, but I wanTITed t2o teach her something.

Your o1ne sentence is good. I'm hoping her immature attention span can read past my fir1sts t2wo sentences.

Godspeed, Warham.

blueturk
01-17-2006, 07:18 PM

"The Patriot Act allows law enforcement officers to get "sneak and peek" warrants to search a home for any suspected crime -- and to wait months or even years to tell the owner they were there. Last July, the Justice Department told the House Judiciary Committee that only 12 percent of the 153 "sneak and peek" warrants it received were related to terrorism investigations."

This shit doesn't bother you at all ? Dubya's "Patriot Act" ( a title that's as absurd as the "Freedom of Speech Zone") was supposed to be used to fight TERRORISM, not to spy on Americans for any reason that seems fit. Maybe I'm giving you too much credit, Warham. Perhaps like your leader, you long for the days of J. Edgar Hoover....

Phil theStalker
01-17-2006, 07:22 PM
Warham, you cun't be dis dumb, honey.

Are you some kind of troll?

For yourself and your own jollies or f4or somebody else?

I wouldn't want t2o be caught a spy or informant. History has shown us what happens t2o them 'and those who support them'.

Good luck, Warham.

Phil theStalker
01-17-2006, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Phil theStalker
"Of the tyrant, spies and informers are the principle instruments. War is his favorite occupation, for the sake of engrossing the attention of the people, and making himself necessary to them as their leader."
-ARISTOTLE

"Of the tyrant, spies and informers are the principle instruments [B](Patriot Act, illegal Presidential wiretaps on American citizens, etc.). War is his favoritte occupation (Afganistan, Iraq, + 60 countries on the list like Iran, Syria, etc.), for the sake of engrossing the attention of the people, and making himself necessary to them as their leader (Bush/Clinton leadership of 'GLOBALISM'=corporatism/fascism)."
Aristotle said it so well in so few words. By his eloquent definition we're in a tyranny already.

What are we going to do about it?

PS I'm just prepared f4or the riots. We'll need to support the New American Government after the war. Why?

Here's another ancient quote: ""One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors."

You don't...you don't think guys like Jefferson knew that quote, do you. Naw.

Let's ask Warham.

She'll know.

She knows everything.:D

Warham
01-17-2006, 08:38 PM
I'm not afraid of being watched by the government. I'm not paranoid like some of you guys.

blueturk
01-17-2006, 09:45 PM
I'm not afraid of being watched by the government. I'm not paranoid like some of you guys.

"Honestly, I think we should just trust our president in every decision he makes and should just support that, you know, and be faithful in what happens." - Britney Spears, CNN, September 3, 2003