PDA

View Full Version : ACLU Sues to Stop Domestic Spying Program

Hardrock69
01-17-2006, 11:08 AM
32 minutes ago

NEW YORK - Civil liberties groups filed lawsuits in two cities Tuesday seeking to block
President Bush's domestic eavesdropping program, arguing the electronic surveillance of American citizens was unconstitutional.

The U.S. District Court lawsuits were filed in New York by the Center for Constitutional Rights and in Detroit by the
American Civil Liberties Union.

The New York suit, filed on behalf of the center and individuals, names President Bush, the head of the National Security Agency, and the heads of the other major security agencies, challenging the NSA's surveillance of persons within the United States without judicial approval or statutory authorization.

It seeks an injunction that would prohibit the government from conducting surveillance of communications in the United States without warrants.

The Detroit suit, which also names the NSA, was filed with the ACLU along with the Council on American-Islamic Relations, Greenpeace and several individuals.

Messages seeking comment were left Tuesday morning with the National Security Agency and the Justice Department.

Bush, who said the wiretapping is legal and necessary, has pointed to a congressional resolution passed after the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, that authorized him to use force in the fight against terrorism as allowing him to order the program.

The program authorized eavesdropping of international phone calls and e-mails of people deemed a terror risk.

The Detroit lawsuit says the plaintiffs, who frequently communicate by telephone and e-mail with people in the Middle East and Asia, have a "well-founded belief" that their communications are being intercepted by the government.

"By seriously compromising the free speech and privacy rights of the plaintiffs and others, the program violates the First and Fourth Amendments of the United States Constitution," the lawsuit states.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060117/ap_on_re_us/domestic_spying_lawsuit

FORD
01-17-2006, 11:51 AM
Now watch the Busheep bitch about this. They would prefer BCE tanks driving down their streets with Blackwater thugs aiming AK-47's at their heads to the ACLU defending their rights.

4moreyears
01-17-2006, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by FORD
Now watch the Busheep bitch about this. They would prefer BCE tanks driving down their streets with Blackwater thugs aiming AK-47's at their heads to the ACLU defending their rights.

ACLU is a joke. They show up and bitch, cry, and whine when a pin drops.

FORD
01-17-2006, 01:32 PM
I rest my case :cool:

jhale667
01-17-2006, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by FORD
I rest my case :cool:

Don't you love it when the Neocunts prove your point FOR you? ;)

Cathedral
01-17-2006, 03:23 PM
Hey, finally something i can support the ACLU in, imagine that.

I do have to say though, anyone watching me is about 10 years too late if they want something interesting to watch in my life.

I'm a boring old fart anymore, re-runs of the Honeymooners would be more interesting.

Warham
01-17-2006, 04:09 PM
The ACLU would sue over somebody saying Christmas on public property.

thome
01-17-2006, 04:21 PM
If Terrorists do some damage to this country and get caught and they are found to have cell phones on them and the transcripts are found
and they contain blatant evidence of the damage plan.

Do we sue the ACLU ....

If nothing of this sort ever happens then the aclu will have wasted
alot of american tax dollars...

frets5150
01-17-2006, 04:33 PM
The Terrorists are CHIMPIE and the US Government WAKE UP PEOPLE!!!

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a83/FRETS5150/CHIMPIE.jpg

Nickdfresh
01-17-2006, 06:49 PM
By the way Neo Cons, some of the plaintiffs of this lawsuit are arch conservatives that support the War in IRAQ and the War on Terror, as well as journalists...

blueturk
01-17-2006, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by 4moreyears
ACLU is a joke. They show up and bitch, cry, and whine when a pin drops.

Yeah, if the ACLU is against it, it must be cool as hell! :rolleyes:

fuckhowardstern
01-17-2006, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by thome
If nothing of this sort ever happens then the aclu will have wasted
alot of american tax dollars...

God forbid any tax dollars get wasted especially seeing how careful this administration has been with our hard earned money...and our kids hard earned money.....and our grandkids hard earned money....and our great grandkids hard earned money.....

Hardrock69
01-17-2006, 11:19 PM
The ACLU is only ONE organization that has filed a lawsuit.

DrMaddVibe
01-18-2006, 06:53 AM
Where was the ACLU before on this matter?

thome
01-18-2006, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by frets5150

Is it not wonderful that you have the Freedom to say that, most other
places you would be strung up with no trial.

I believe exactly the oposite of you, if you trully feel this way
should you not be lookig to desert this sinking ship.................hmmm
let's see perhaps like find a better place to live.

BigBadBrian
01-18-2006, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by frets5150

FORD, I believe this belongs in the cartoon thread.

Put it there or leave my images alone from now on.

frets5150
01-18-2006, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by thome
Is it not wonderful that you have the Freedom to say that, most other
places you would be strung up with no trial.

I believe exactly the oposite of you, if you trully feel this way
should you not be lookig to desert this sinking ship.................hmmm
let's see perhaps like find a better place to live.

Yeah ok little by little bit by bit your CONSTITUTINAL rights are being taken away so worry about what I say. And yes I'm lookin and I don't need you to tell me that.But thank's for your concern...:rolleyes:

And by the way the ship already SUNK all the way to the bottom of the sea Pal :mad:

frets5150
01-18-2006, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
FORD, I believe this belongs in the cartoon thread.

Put it there or leave my images alone from now on.

Sorry I didn't think this was a cartoon but if no pic's are allowed I won't put them here anymore.And yes I agree with you 100% that your pic's should stay up if mine is.:)