View Full Version : Hostage Jill Carroll Released in Iraq

Nickdfresh
01-19-2006, 08:41 AM
Iraq Asks U.S. to Free Six Iraqi Women
Thursday, January 19, 2006 7:10 AM EST
The Associated Press
By SINAN SALAHEDDIN

http://newsimages.adelphia.net/ap_photos//NY12001190133.jpeg

BAGHDAD, Iraq (AP) — Iraq has asked U.S. authorities to release six of the eight Iraqi women in military custody, but not as part of a bid to free a kidnapped American female journalist, a government official said Thursday.

Militants holding 28-year-old Jill Carroll have demanded U.S. authorities release all Iraqi female detainees or else they would kill the freelance reporter for the Christian Science Monitor newspaper, who was kidnapped Jan. 7 in Baghdad.

New images showing Carroll surrounded by armed and masked hostage-takers were aired Thursday by Al-Jazeera television. The 20 seconds of silent footage also show her talking to the camera. An editor from Al-Jazeera said the footage was from the same tape the station had obtained and aired part of on Tuesday.

The U.S. military has said eight Iraqi women are in military detention. An Iraqi government commission reviewing detainee cases recommended to U.S. authorities on Monday that six of them be released.

An official from the Human Rights Ministry, which sits on the commission along with representatives of the Defense and Justice ministries, said the call to free the women was not made in response to demands from Carroll's kidnappers, who gave authorities until Friday night to free the women.

"There was no outside pressure on the commission" to recommend releasing the women, said the official who spoke on condition of anonymity because he feared reprisal from insurgents. "This recommendation came after we studied the women's files provided by the American military."

U.S. officials refused to comment Wednesday on whether any of the women were set to be released.

Meanwhile, scores of people died in violence across the country Wednesday.

Thirty people were dragged from their cars at crude checkpoints erected on unpaved roads and shot dead execution-style in farming areas in Nibaei, a town near Dujail, about 50 miles north of Baghdad, said police Lt. Qahtan al-Hashmawi.

Insurgents also opened fire on a convoy of the mobile telephone company Iraqna, killing six security guards and three drivers in western Baghdad. Two engineers, believed to be Kenyans, were missing and feared kidnapped.

Two American civilians were killed in a roadside bombing in the southern city of Basra. They worked for the Texas-based security company DynCorp and were training Iraqi police. A third American was seriously wounded in the attack, the U.S. Embassy said.

The increased violence came as authorities prepare to announce the results this week of the Dec. 15 election. U.S. and Iraqi officials expect more attacks as religious and ethnic groups jockey for power in the new government.

Carroll was seen for the first time since her abduction in the footage aired by Al-Jazeera on Tuesday. The report said the 20-second video included a threat to kill Carroll in 72 hours unless U.S. authorities release all women detainees in Iraq.

A still photograph of Carroll from the videotape on Al-Jazeera's Web site carried a logo reading "The Revenge Brigade," a group that was not known from previous claims of responsibility of violence in Iraq.

Insurgents in Iraq, mainly Sunni Arab militants, have kidnapped more than 240 foreigners and killed at least 39 of them. Hundreds, perhaps thousands, more Iraqis have been abducted either by insurgents or gangs seeking ransoms.

An official from a prominent Sunni political organization called for Carroll's release and denounced all kidnappings.

"We condemn the abductions of innocent civilians and journalists and call for the immediate release of the American reporter and all innocent people who have nothing to do with the (U.S.-led) occupation," said Harith al-Obeidi of the Conference for Iraq's People.

French journalist and former hostage Florence Aubenas, who was released in June after being held hostage for 157 days, also called on Carroll's hostage-takers to release her.

"She came to this country to do her job as a journalist and not anything else," Aubenas told Al-Jazeera.

Iraqi Accordance Front head Adnan al-Dulami, a Sunni Arab leader whom Carroll had been attempting to interview before she was taken, called the kidnapping un-Islamic, the Christian Science Monitor reported on its Web site.

On the streets of Baghdad, though, the reaction among ordinary Iraqis was mixed.

"If the purpose behind the abduction was to free Iraqi female prisoners, it was a legitimate right for Iraqis," an Iraqi policemen said while conducting traffic in Baghdad. "But if it was a terrorist act, we denounced that."

President Bush ignored shouted questions Wednesday about what his administration is doing to find Carroll. White House spokesman Scott McClellan said her safe return was a priority for the administration" but refused to say more "because of the sensitivity of the situation."

David Cook, the Washington bureau chief for the Christian Science Monitor, told a news conference that Carroll's work has demonstrated she is respectful of Arab culture and people, and the newspaper has shown it treats different cultures and viewpoints fairly.

Link (http://www.adelphia.net/news/read.php?id=12508354&ps=1012&lang=en)

Phil theStalker
01-19-2006, 08:49 PM
I'm having a quickie wit Nicky.

Tit sure lookes dat waay, baybee.

:spank:

Nickdfresh
01-21-2006, 07:17 AM
Iraqis join chorus: Let journalist go

Saturday, January 21, 2006; Posted: 6:57 a.m. EST (11:57 GMT)

http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2006/WORLD/meast/01/21/iraq.journalist/story.jillquotes2.jpg
Imam Sheik Abu Yasser says everyone, Muslim or not, should be safe when they visit Iraq.

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) (http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/01/21/iraq.journalist/index.html) -- Dozens of journalists and Western civilians have been kidnapped in Iraq since the U.S.-led invasion, but few victims have commanded the Muslim sympathy that freelance writer Jill Carroll has garnered.

Carroll, an American, adhered to the social and religious customs of the land where she wrote about the plight of the people.

She was kidnapped January 7 after a failed attempt to interview an Iraqi politician in western Baghdad. Now that Sunni politician and many of his fellow Muslims and Iraqis are asking Carroll's kidnappers to let their friend go.

Adnan al-Dulaimi, head of the General Conference of the Iraqi People, said Friday at a news conference carried on Arab satellite channels that Carroll's abductors should release her in the name of Allah.

Carroll reportedly had gone to his office and waited for him for 25 minutes. She was attempting to leave when kidnappers stopped her car within 300 yards of al-Dulaimi's office, according to an article published in The Christian Science Monitor, one of the papers for which Carroll worked.

Her Iraqi interpreter, Allan Enwiyah, was found dead, shot twice in the head, the newspaper said. Her Iraqi driver eluded the captors.

Carroll's kidnappers threatened Tuesday to kill her within 72 hours unless the U.S. military releases all female Iraqi prisoners.

Al-Jazeera has aired two video segments showing the reporter. In the latest, shown Thursday, Carroll is dressed in traditional Arab garb -- kneeling or sitting -- with three armed gunmen standing nearby. (Watch the footage released by the kidnappers -- 1:35)

According to the Monitor, al-Dulaimi said Friday: "I promise you again, I'll do my best to release this journalist. Kidnapping her is an act against the Iraqi people. Nobody accepts this at all."

Indeed, the consensus in Iraq, where Carroll's kidnapping has received an almost unprecedented degree of coverage from the local media, is that the journalist is a friend of Iraq.

"I feel like she is my daughter who was kidnapped, because they are all like our children," said Azza Hussein, an Iraqi citizen. "I feel like I was wounded."

Sadeq Shahid, a teacher, added, "When I heard about her abduction, I felt pain because she is my sister."

Businessman Hamid al-Zubaidi said he doesn't believe her captors are Iraqis or Muslims, and he pleaded with the kidnappers to understand that Carroll was only doing her job.
Muslims: Let Carroll go

"She's only a woman who was doing her job, showing the true image of this country, no matter if it's positive or negative," al-Zubaidi said. "All Iraqis are denouncing this terrible act."

Also joining the chorus of friends, family members -- and even strangers who feel a kinship to the 28-year-old freelancer -- are Muslim leaders, in Iraq and abroad.

Sheik Abu Yasser, a Sunni imam in Iraq, said that his nation should welcome all people, regardless of their religion.

"A human is a human no matter if he is Muslim or non-Muslim. People who are not from this country should be safe," he said.

Yasser's statement followed an announcement by the Council on American-Islamic Relations that a group of almost 50 Muslim leaders, scholars and organizations were calling for Carroll's release and that CAIR had sent a delegation to Iraq in an effort to secure her freedom.

"We, the undersigned representatives of the American Muslim community, call for the immediate and unconditional release of Jill Carroll, a journalist with a well-documented record of objective reporting and respect for both the Iraqi people and Arab-Islamic culture," CAIR said in its statement.

"We ask that her captors show mercy and compassion by releasing her so that she may return to her family. Certainly, no cause can be advanced by harming a person who only sought to let the world know about the human suffering caused by the conflict in Iraq."
Parents, groups appeal to kidnappers

Carroll's father also made an appeal to her kidnappers on Friday, telling them to "use Jill to be your voice to the world."

"I want to speak directly to the men holding my daughter Jill, because they may also be fathers like me," Jim Carroll said in the statement that aired Friday on the Arabic-language network Al-Jazeera.

"My daughter does not have the ability to free anyone. She is a reporter and an innocent person," he said. "As a father, I appeal to you to release my daughter for the betterment of all of us. And I ask the men holding my daughter to work with Jill to find a way to initiate a dialogue with me."

On Thursday, the hostage's mother, Mary Beth Carroll, publicly pleaded with the kidnappers "to release this young woman who has worked so hard to show the suffering of Iraqis to the world." (Watch mother's composed plea -- 7:35)

Carroll's friends and former co-workers said on CNN's "Larry King Live" on Thursday they hope her fluent Arabic and knowledge of the Middle East may help convince her captors to release her unharmed.

"The kidnappers who took Jill need to know that Jill is only an innocent journalist," close friend Natasha Tynes said. "She had nothing to do with the war that happened in Iraq."

"I'm hoping that her Arabic skills and her knowledge of the region will help her to survive this," the Jordanian woman said.

Rajiv Chandrasekaran, former Baghdad bureau chief for The Washington Post, met Carroll in 2002 in Amman, Jordan, where she worked for a year before going to Iraq. As soon as Carroll arrived in the Middle East, she began studying Arabic and was determined to master it.

"It's just a devastating development," he said. "Like everybody else out there, I'm hoping and praying for her release. It underscores the dangers of working there as a journalist."

Those who have shared Carroll's experience of being kidnapped while on assignment in the Middle East say her Arabic skills could help save her. Convincing her captors that she is a reporter, and not a spy, will be important in persuading them to release Carroll, they said.

Florence Aubenas, the French journalist who was held hostage for six months last year, said she hoped Carroll's captors believe she is a journalist.

"Obviously, you have no other proof but your word, so I hope they are going to believe her, as they believed me," she said Friday.

Stephen Farrell, Jerusalem bureau chief for The Times of London, was kidnapped near Falluja, Iraq, in April 2004. He was freed, he said, after convincing his captors he was an active journalist.

"There are no rules in Iraq. You can't know what's going to happen," he said.

Regarding the demand that female Iraqi prisoners be released, the U.S. military says it has eight women in custody. Iraq's Justice Ministry said six were scheduled to be freed before the kidnappers issued demands. However, the U.S. military would not confirm that.

Nickdfresh
01-26-2006, 09:25 AM
U.S. Military to Release Five Iraqi Women
Thursday, January 26, 2006 7:14 AM EST
The Associated Press
By SAMEER N. YACOUB

BAGHDAD, Iraq (AP) — The U.S. military said Thursday it would release five Iraqi women detainees, a move demanded by the kidnappers of an American reporter to spare her life. A U.S. official said the release had nothing to do with the kidnappers' demand.

Meanwhile, a U.S. soldier was killed and another wounded by a roadside bomb blast south of Baghdad on Wednesday, while two Iraqi government employees were gunned down Thursday by drive-by militants in separate attacks in the northern city of Kirkuk.

The Shiite bloc set to dominate the next parliament, the United Iraqi Alliance, will also decide on its nominee for prime minister in the "coming few days," top Shiite official Vice President Adil Abdul-Mahdi said.

Abdul-Mahdi is among four prominent Shiites mentioned as possible premiers. Others are the current prime minister, Ibrahim al-Jaafari; nuclear physicist Hussain al-Shahrastani and Nadim al-Jabiri of the Fadhila party, a religious group whose spiritual leader is al-Sadr's late father, Grand Ayatollah Mohammed Sadiq al-Sadr.

The Iraqi women will be freed Thursday and Friday as part of a release of 419 Iraqis officials concluded there was no reason to continue holding, said Lt. Col. Guy Rudisill, spokesman for the U.S. detention command.

Armed men abducted Jill Carroll, a freelance reporter for the Christian Science Monitor, on Jan. 7 in Baghdad and threatened to kill her unless all Iraqi women prisoners were released.

The U.S. military confirmed last week it was holding nine Iraqi women. On Thursday, however, the military said it had detained two more women for alleged insurgent activities in the northern city of Mosul.

Detainees are regularly freed in Iraq following reviews of their cases, a process that can take months, and U.S. officials have said the upcoming releases were part of that routine procedure and not linked to Carroll's case.

A top Iraqi official and the mother of one of the Iraqi female detainees confirmed the imminent releases, saying they were expecting them to occur Thursday.

Busho Ibrahim Ali, the deputy justice minister, said five female detainees were expected to be released from the Camp Cropper detention center on a U.S. base near Baghdad International Airport.

Ali said the women would be brought to the heavily fortified Green Zone, where the Iraqi government and U.S. Embassy are based in Baghdad, and handed over to a senior Sunni Arab political leader and received by their families.

Detainees are usually transported from detention centers to a Baghdad bus station or to towns near their homes and let go.

Siham Faraj, a mother of 28-year-old Hala Khalid, who was arrested with her brother on Sept. 24 during a dawn raid by U.S. forces on their Baghdad home, said she was waiting anxiously to see her daughter and hoped it would lead to Carroll's safe release.

"We are happy and we thank God for this blessing," Faraj told The Associated Press. "I call upon the kidnappers of the American reporter to release her because she is as innocent as Hala."

"I wish the Americans would stop random arrests. We only want peace in this country."

The U.S. soldier who was killed belonged to the Multi-National Division-Baghdad and his death took the number of American military personnel killed to at least 2,237 U.S. military since the Iraq war began in March 2003, according to an Associated Press count

In Kirkuk, gunmen assassinated a senior official of Iraq's anti-corruption commission and the deputy director of a state-run food stuff company in separate attacks Thursday, said police Capt. Farhad Talabani.

Anti-corruption official Othman Majeed Rasheed, a 51-year-old Turkoman, was walking from his home to his nearby office in Kirkuk, 180 miles north of Baghdad, when he was killed by a hail of gunfire, Talabani said.

Shortly after, the same group of gunmen shot dead Jomaa Rasheed, a Kurd who is the deputy director of the state-run company for food stuffs, in the same area, Talabani said. The two victims were unrelated.

Police believe the men were killed by the same masked gunmen who launched similar attacks on Jan. 17, targeting another Kirkuk office of the anti-corruption watchdog, known as the Integrity Commission, and offices for the Kurdistan Peoples Party, killing two people and wounding three.

Gunmen disguised as Iraqi soldiers kidnapped Hadi al-Dahlaki, owner of a food company, and killed his son Wednesday during a raid on their factory in Baqouba, 35 miles northeast of Baghdad, said Diyala police's Joint Coordination Center said. The al-Dahlaki family is one of Baqouba's wealthiest, and several of the hostage's sons have been kidnapped and released previously after the paying of ransom.

Police found four bound and blindfolded bodies riddled with bullet holes on Thursday in Mahmoudiya, about 20 miles south of Baghdad, said Capt. Rasheed al-Samaraei.

North of Baghdad, three Iraqi soldiers were killed and four wounded by another roadside bomb on Wednesday afternoon, police Lt. Amir al-Ahbabi said.

The attack happened in the Ishaki area on the Baghdad-Mosul highway, about 55 miles north of the Iraqi capital.

Nickdfresh
03-30-2006, 07:27 AM
Kidnapped Reporter Jill Carroll Freed
Thursday, March 30, 2006 6:42 AM EST
The Associated Press
http://web.adelphia.net/api/hangar.php/c21hcnRjcm9wOjIyMDoyNTAscmVzaXplOjIyMDoyNTA=/http://newsimages.adelphia.net/ap_photos//NY12003301131.jpeg
BAGHDAD, Iraq (AP) — Kidnapped U.S. reporter Jill Carroll has been released after nearly three months in captivity, Iraq police and the leader of the Islamic Party said Thursday. Her editor said she was in good condition.

"She was released this morning, she's talked to her father and she's fine," said David Cook, Washington bureau chief of The Christian Science Monitor.

He said the paper had no further details immediately and just learned of her release about 6:15 a.m. EST.:) :cool:

Hardrock69
03-30-2006, 10:01 AM
I am glad.

However, I think anyone who voluntarily goes over there without being in the military is a stupid fucker.

If she had gotten killed, she would have deserved it, as would anyone stupid enough to go there.

Nickdfresh
03-30-2006, 10:34 AM
So who covers the War then? Without journalists, we'd have an extrodinarily high "accident rate" in Iraq, as was the case during the Soviet occupation of Afghanistan...

FORD
03-30-2006, 11:59 AM
We absolutely need journalists (as opposed to corporate media whores) in Iraq, so that the truth gets out.

Though I would suggest they be heavily armed. And if a so-called "contractor" approaches them, be prepared to shoot.

Hardrock69
03-30-2006, 01:14 PM
You guys have valid points.

My main concern is so-called do-gooders and other people who voluntarily go over there to 'help' the Iraqis.

Iraq is still a War Zone in my opinion.

And as far as I am concerned the only people who belong there are warriors. Not Christian Aid workers.