PDA

View Full Version : Pink FLOYD's Dark Side of the Moon Remastered

Nickdfresh
01-19-2006, 09:09 AM
http://www.arbybean.com/images/music/Pink%20Floyd%20-%20Dark%20Side%20of%20the%20Moon.jpg
I noticed that Pink FLOYD's The Dark Side of the Moon has been remastered, probably in the mid-90's. I was wondering if anybody has compared the remaster to the original.

So, considering it's like $10, is it worth it?

I bought the original CD as one of the first when I was in junior high, and of course it sounds pretty decent. But recently I ripped some tracks using iTunes 'Apple Lossless' just to compare the (kbps) rate before I converted to AAC (MP3) for my iPod. I found it to be on the low side at about 600-650kbps (most modern CD's covert at about 800-1300kbps when put to lossless).
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00008CLOA.03._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Nickdfresh
01-19-2006, 09:16 AM
Anyone ever try this? I actually threw in DSOTM when I saw The Wizard of OZ on TV, and was a little wasted:D. It was a pain to sync with commercials, but I found there is in fact something to this...

From: http://www.rareexception.com/Garden/Floyd/Floyd.php

This is a simple legend to verify; first, buy Dark Side of the Moon. Its been suggested that you use the digitally remastered and repackaged Dark Side of the Moon with the solid prism / triangle on the cover rather than the hollow prism / triangle from the original cover of the album. Both covers by Storm Thorgerson / Hipgnosis®

Then, get The Wizard of Oz. Again, Its been suggested that you make sure to use the digitally remastered THX® 50th Anniversary edition.

Put the two together, and mush them all around, out comes an eerie relationship between the monumentous album and classic film.

Transitions between scenes are often perfectly timed with musical changes.

Turn the sound of the film all the way down, and turn the sound of the album up as high as you can stand.
It will probably take you a few tries to get the sync lined up just right so be patient. First load the Dark Side of the Moon CD into your CD player and hit PLAY (>) and then immediately hit PAUSE (II) so it is cued up and ready to roll. Be sure also to set your CD player to continuous replay. This in most CD players is done by hitting the "REPEAT" button twice. Hitting it once will usually repeat only the presently playing track so hit the button two (2) times and it will replay the CD over and over. The CD will play roughly two and a quarter times through the entire length of the movie.

Now start the video and fast forward past all the preview junk (about five minutes worth on the THX version) at the beginning and watch for the THX Digital logo to pop up. Now get the tape to the very beginning where the BLACK & WHITE MGM lion roars. After the BLACK & WHITE MGM Lion roars for the THIRD (3rd) time IMMEDIATELY hit the play button on the CD player.

The credits begin to roll, and the ambient noise that opens the album begins. You know the synchronicity will work if the music kicks in just as Produced by Mervyn Leroy pops up.

Now, we would suggest you stop reading here and experience it first. It is much more fun to watch it without knowing, ahead of time, what you are going to see. Otherwise, from here, we are going to take you on a step by step tour of the scenes and music as they occur.
The coincidence eeirily begins when the album says, "... Look around ..." which prompts Dorothy to look around.
As the line "balanced on the biggest wave" from Breathe is uttered, Dorothy teeters on the rail of the pig-sty.
She then breaks into a trot just as the line "No one told you when to run" from Time is heard.
The chimes in Time go off at the appearance of Mrs Gulch (Wicked Witch of the West) on the bicycle and the chimes stop when she gets off the bike. "I've got a bike. You can ride it if you like. It's got a basket, a bell that rings and things to make it look good ..."
"... Home, home again ..." as Professor Marvel tells Dorothy that she needs to go back home.
The Great Gig in the Sky begins as the tornado appears and lasts exactly the length of the storm. On the record, this song is the end of the first side of the album and ironically, as Dorothy slowly pushes open the door, the black and white portion of the film ends, Oz appears in brash color, and "cha-ching," Money begins exactly on cue.
The munchkins begin to dance to the tempo of Money.
Before the Wicked Witch appears in a cloud of smoke, dressed in her black dress, just as the word "Black" is uttered in Us and Them.
Then the scene changes as Dorothy leaves Munchkin Land at the same time that "Us and Them" changes to "Any Colour You Like" The Scarecrow starts dancing just as "The lunatic is on the grass" is heard.
"... And everyone you meet..." is uttered as Dorothy meets the Tin Woodsman.
And the album ends with a slowly beating heartbeat, which comes just as Dorothy bangs on the Tin Man's chest to see if he's got a heart.

Now, if you've set up your CD player to repeat, the coincidences continue from here. Unfortunately, due to replay speeds, it is more difficult to match the album to the movie. But here are a few of the scenes you might catch!

When "... and high you fly ..." is spoken during Breathe, the Wicked Witch stands on top of the house with her flying broom.
On the Run then presents "... Shorter of breath and one day closer to death..." as Dorothy and Cowardly Lion appear to be dead.
This time, Money plays while they are in the Emerald City - "Cha-Ching" is heard as the Wicked Witch writes "Surrender Dorothy" in the sky.
"... Down and out ..." has the flying monkeys swoop down to capture Dorothy, and then fly out of the woods with her in their hands.

Believe it or not, the CD replays for a 3rd time (about half way through) and the coincidences continue! But we'll stop here for now to let you find the rest on your own!
As you find them, be sure to click here to email us or visit our message board to discuss ideas.

Now, get the album, pick up the video and then go back to The Garden to catch up on more rumors, facts, and fictions!

By the way at the end of Dark Side of the Moon, after you hear "There is no dark side of the moon really. As a matter of fact it's all dark ..." you can faintly hear some music playing. Strangely enough it's an orchestral version of The Beatles' Ticket to Ride. Both Pink Floyd and The Beatles recorded at Abbey Roads Studios and they, at times, contributed to each other in one fashion or another; certainly, at times tapes would have been erased and reused. Anyone know why they chose Ticket to Ride?

Mr Badguy
01-19-2006, 11:13 AM
There are others as well:

Wish you were here/ Alice in wonderland

The Division Bell/ Planet of the Apes

Ummagumma/ The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Never tried any of them but have seen ready synced versions on Ebay.

Hardrock69
01-19-2006, 12:59 PM
I have done the Dark Side Of The Wizard Of Oz thang....I did not have a DVD....just a VHS tape. There was an article in the paper about this about 15 years ago, so I checked it out.

It is a TRIP!

Have not tried any of the others though....

DLR_EngineRoom
01-19-2006, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00008CLOA.03._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

This one's the better copy. It's the latest, includes ALL previous artwork and the sound is incredible.

Classic album, classic remaster.

DLR_EngineRoom
01-19-2006, 01:09 PM
Anyone ever try this? I actually threw in DSOTM when I saw The Wizard of OZ on TV, and was a little wasted:D. It was a pain to sync with commercials, but I found there is in fact something to this...

From: http://www.rareexception.com/Garden/Floyd/Floyd.php

I have about half of that Dark Side Of Oz movie (one run of the CD).

Does anyone know where I can get a DIRECT DOWNLOAD of the complete movie, preferably in MPEG format?

PM me.

Va Beach VH Fan
01-19-2006, 01:44 PM
On the Billboard Top 200 for 724 consecutive weeks...

Incredible....

Jérôme Frenchise
01-19-2006, 01:53 PM
I noticed that Pink FLOYD's The Dark Side of the Moon has been remastered, probably in the mid-90's. I was wondering if anybody has compared the remaster to the original.

So, considering it's like $10, is it worth it?

I bought all the 1994 remasters years ago. I was disappointed with the sound that is not powerful at all; I mean, the nature of the sound is good enough, but you have to turn the volume up after ANY record you played before...

I haven't listened to the purple version of Dark Side yet, but it can but sound better.

The only remaster that makes it IMO, as far as powerful sound, is "Umma Gumma". But I can't listen to it as often as the rest, unfortunately. :D

perilousepete
02-27-2007, 07:23 PM
according to this site, apparently ever single album ever released by floyd or any member in the band has a sync...i've only done dsotm (which is sick) but just in case anyone out there has too much time on their hands...
http://www.geocities.com/acwendland/