PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone going to Namm?

Don Corleone
01-19-2006, 12:20 PM
The title says it all really, is anyone from here off to this years Namm?

jhale667
01-19-2006, 02:36 PM
I was gonna go tomorrow, but looks like I won't make it 'til Saturday...

Hardrock69
01-20-2006, 12:59 PM
Only Winter NAMM I ever went to was January of '91.

Only Summer NAMM I went to was July 2002.

Matt White
01-20-2006, 01:19 PM
Never been...one of these days.........

Don Corleone
01-20-2006, 01:53 PM
Looks like we're about to get another Ed product - the EVH Flanger if this is anything to go by

BrownSound1
01-20-2006, 01:59 PM
Get ready to pay out the ass for that flanger. I'll stick with my original :D

jhale667
01-20-2006, 05:48 PM
The regular reissue MXR Flanger sounds good...what's different about this one? A 'mode' switch like the EVH Phase90? Oh well, guess I'll find out tomorrow...;)

bueno bob
01-20-2006, 06:43 PM
I was, but an Arizona trip has come up that's a wee bit more important.

Such is life... :)

Coyote
01-20-2006, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by Don Corleone
Looks like we're about to get another Ed product - the EVH Flanger if this is anything to go by

Whooa boy...

BrownSound1
01-21-2006, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by jhale667
The regular reissue MXR Flanger sounds good...what's different about this one? A 'mode' switch like the EVH Phase90? Oh well, guess I'll find out tomorrow...;)

I didn't care for the reissue...something's missing with it. It is a close approximation, but not quite there.

ELVIS
01-21-2006, 02:11 AM
Check out the new MXR 90 that looks like an orange Cry-Baby wah...

$200

:elvis:

jhale667
01-21-2006, 02:45 AM
Originally posted by BrownSound1
I didn't care for the reissue...something's missing with it. It is a close approximation, but not quite there.

The Dunlop guy told me at last year's NAMM they were changing out some of the IC chips or some shit, so one that came out in the last years's going to sound different from the first batch of reisssues. I tried one that pretty much nailed my buddy's vintage one's vibe...without the crackle....;)

Coyote
01-21-2006, 09:29 AM
I tried one that pretty much nailed my buddy's vintage one's vibe...without the crackle....;)

Crackle? :confused:

Don Corleone
01-21-2006, 10:08 AM
I wonder if Ed will unviel the new Wolfgang? I've just been listening back to the 2 Dorks interview from October where Ed's says "I'm right in the middle of working on the Wolfgang prototype, I'm redesigning all my gear. If I don't get this off... today, they'll be nothing for Namm"

BrownSound1
01-21-2006, 11:17 AM
The Dunlop guy told me at last year's NAMM they were changing out some of the IC chips or some shit, so one that came out in the last years's going to sound different from the first batch of reisssues. I tried one that pretty much nailed my buddy's vintage one's vibe...without the crackle....;)

I don't have any crackle in my vintage one.

jhale667
01-22-2006, 12:19 AM
OK, so the place was insane, packed far worse than I've seen in all the years I've gone. Ouch. Other than that, it was pretty cool.

So here's the deal with the EVH Flanger: It has a switchable preset that Eddie dialed in that's supposed to (according to the Dunlop rep) approximate the "Unchained" setting (though the sweep was far too fast to my ears to claim that), other than that, it's the same as the new reissue.

Charvel debuted a Warren Demartini replica series, the Kamikaze, Skull and Blood, and the French writing one...the Crossed Swords Graphic was already available...very cool, though.
Fender came out with a new tube amp called the Super-Sonic that KICKS ASS:cool:. The Clean channel does a Vibrolux or Bassman, the gain channel does everything from Texas Blues to Rectifieresque Grind...I'm impressed. It's 60w, available as a head or 2X12 combo.

Oh, and the 'crackle' I was referring to was because my friend never bothered to clean out his Flanger's 20+ year old pots & jacks...:rolleyes: it sounds great until you LOOK at it wrong or something...then "ZZZT" I'm like "It's called 'contact cleaner'; it is your friend."

Hardrock69
01-22-2006, 02:57 AM
LMAO!

If you are a moron and ya wanna cheap high, contact cleaner will do the trick...

:D

You ever run into those guitarists that absolutely cannot turn off their flanger/phaser etc.?

There was this guy I knew in the late 70s in Seattle who was a great guitar player, but he was so off into Trower/Hendrix stuff that it was pathetic.

If you told him he was gonna have to play with anything LESS THAN 3 pedals, he was the kind of guy who would probably cry....

Coyote
01-22-2006, 12:03 PM
Oh, and the 'crackle' I was referring to was because my friend never bothered to clean out his Flanger's 20+ year old pots & jacks...:rolleyes: it sounds great until you LOOK at it wrong or something...then "ZZZT" I'm like "It's called 'contact cleaner'; it is your friend."

LOL

Diamondjimi
01-23-2006, 06:15 PM
For cleaning any type of potentiometer I recommend using a cleaner that
lubricates as well as cleans. Contact cleaner alone doesn't make for
a smooth (noisless) contact . The lubricant inhibits oxidization .

jhale667
01-24-2006, 11:31 PM
Better late than never...:D

http://hippietim.com/NAMM2006/NAMM2006.htm

Seshmeister
01-25-2006, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by Hardrock69

You ever run into those guitarists that absolutely cannot turn off their flanger/phaser etc.?

Two spring to mind.

EVH on VHI and Jake E Lee on Bark at the Moon...

Not a bad pedigree...

I finally got that MXR thing a few months back and I thought it was great but why does it cost so much?

Fuck knows how much cash Eddie's thing will be...

Cheers!

:gulp:

Hardrock69
01-25-2006, 01:46 AM
Oh well.

New toys!
:D