PDA

View Full Version : Glenn Tipton To Release CD of tracks with John Entwistle & Cozy Powell

Hardrock69
01-25-2006, 11:21 AM
February 4, 2002 I was hanging out with Glenn in Atlanta. He said he had a LOT of material with John & Cozy and was going to release the best of it on a second solo album.

Guess he finally got it done!

He got sidetracked by the Priest Reunion I am sure haha...

According to Rockdetector.com, JUDAS PRIEST guitarist Glenn Tipton will be issuing an album of recordings he made with THE WHO bassist John Entwistle and RAINBOW, BLACK SABBATH and WHITESNAKE drummer Cozy Powell. The CD, entitled "Edge of the World", is due on March 7 via Rhino Records. Rhino will also re-release Tipton's 1997 album "Baptism of Fire" on the same day.

Glenn Tipton has many unused tracks in the archives from the early '90s. Tipton recorded many tracks prior to his the release of his "Baptism of Fire" opus with two high-profile rockers both no longer with us, bassist John Entwistle and drummer Cozy Powell.

Speaking with Rockdetector.com's Garry Sharpe-Young in 1994, Cozy Powell mentioned this project. "While I was away (from BLACK SABBATH) I did some things with Glenn Tipton from JUDAS PRIEST," he said. "Great songwriter. So I put drums down on his album. That was fun, we both have a very similar sense of humor so that was very enjoyable, very relaxed. Glenn is just itching to get out there again and do something. PRIEST can't find a singer though so I'm working with a singer called John West too so something will hopefully come of that. Right now though I am totally committed to BLACK SABBATH but I have cushion there of my solo album if needs be. John is a great singer, a bit of an undiscovered talent. Maybe me, John, Glenn and Neil Murray. That would be quite a band. It could happen."

Speaking to Garry in 1997, Glenn Tipton said, "I had a whole album's worth of material ready actually but I scrapped all of that and decided to re-do it. For all the new stuff I put down my guide vocals, which is what I often do with JUDAS PRIEST anyway before Rob [Halford] sings the real thing, but someone said, you know what, this sounds OK, it has a nice, raw quality. So that's what I did. The stuff I recorded before 'Baptism Of Fire' sounds great. Hopefully one day I can get to release that too."

Hardrock69
01-25-2006, 04:59 PM
Here is some further info from blabbermouth:

Rhino Records has set a March 7 release date for the forthcoming reissue of JUDAS PRIEST guitarist Glenn Tipton's solo debut, 1997's "Baptizm Of Fire", and the collection of Tipton's recordings with the late, great THE WHO bassist John Entwistle and drummer Cozy Powell (RAINBOW, BLACK SABBATH), entitled "Edge of the World".

"Baptizm of Fire" features Tipton collaborating with stellar hard rock players including John Entwistle, Shannon Larkin (GODSMACK), Cozy Powell, Billy Sheehan, and current METALLICA bassist Robert Trujillo. Standout tracks include Tipton's crushing send-up of the ROLLING STONES' "Paint It Black" and the masterful title track.

The complete track listing for the two albums is as follows:

"Edge of the World" (Tipton, Entwistle, and Powell)

01. Unknown Soldier
02. Friendly Fire
03. The Holy Man
04. Never Say Die
05. Resolution
06. Searching
07. Give Blood
08. Crime Of Passion
09. Walls Cave In
10. Edge Of The World
11. Stronger Than The Drug

"Baptizm of Fire" (Expanded & Remastered)

01. Hard Core
02. Paint It Black
03. Enter The Storm
04. Fuel Me Up
05. Extinct
06. Baptizm Of Fire
07. The Healer
08. Cruise Control
09. Kill Or Be Killed
10. Voodoo Brother
11. Left For Dead
Bonus Tracks: