PDA

View Full Version : Free Translator!

RuzDNailz
01-26-2006, 04:28 AM
Looking to expand your language horizon? I found something for you!
I found this translator on the web and thanks to it, I translated what
GAW says under his pic! Trash can master. Now let me test this out.
Sie rasiert sich besser, weil es besser ist, einen Streifen zu haben. GAW, if you understand this, then it works better then I thought.

http://freetranslation.imtranslator.net/

Douglas T.
01-26-2006, 09:24 AM
Thanks!

http://babelfish.altavista.digital.com/babelfish/tr

flappo
01-26-2006, 10:19 AM
kewl

i'm stickying this one !

Seshmeister
01-26-2006, 11:29 AM
The way to test translation software is to translate a sentence from english to the foreign language, copy it and then translate that back into English.

The sentence above translated to Sausage Eater becomes

"Die Weise, Übersetzungssoftware zu prüfen, soll einen Satz aus dem Englischen zur Fremdsprache, Kopie es übersetzen und dann diesen Rücken ins Englische übersetzen."

Then from Sausage to English ends up

"To check the way, translation software, should a sentence from English to the foreign language, copy translate and then translate this back into the English"

You'll see that they aren't too hot. Ok for getting a rough idea but not for translating something and then sending it to some foreign blighter.

Cheers!

:gulp:

Big Fat Sammy
01-26-2006, 12:18 PM
Can it translate thome?

flappo
01-26-2006, 01:55 PM
i remember that film 'sherlock holemes' with peter cook and dudley moore

they had to translate a message and decided that every word beginning with s should become sausage

then they read it backwards

and to finally do the job , translated it into serbo croat

grate !

Jérôme Frenchise
01-26-2006, 03:41 PM
I truly did not know any that should die perhaps the machine
invests... me is, extremely is extremely doubtful in any event, did
not say, I condemn that kind of machine from a start.

From English to Chinese... :rolleyes:

Ally_Kat
01-26-2006, 03:43 PM
I remember in high school when these things were all the rage with the kiddies. They never could understand why they were failing their language projects.

Jérôme Frenchise
01-26-2006, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Big Fat Sammy
Can it translate thome?

Long live thome, nobody here can post like he does. :bottle:

Jérôme Frenchise
01-26-2006, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by Ally_Kat
I remember in high school when these things were all the rage with the kiddies. They never could understand why they were failing their language projects.
"Youngsters... How do you say "faire foirer quelque chose" in English? How do you say "faire"?
- "Do", sir.
- Not bad, So And So. But... Yes, Thingammabob?
- "You can also use "make", sir.
- Very good, Thingammabob. Then, we'll have to choose between "do" and "make". Now, how do you say "foirer"?
- Nobody? Then I'll tell you: "to make a complete disaster" or "ball(s) up". How do you say "quelque chose"?
- "Something", sir.
- Exactly. So, now you think you can say "faire foirer quelque chose" , don't you?
- Yes, sir. "To make make something a complete disaster", sir.
- Really? Do you think that sounds English? Well, maybe you could say "make something a complete disaster[/I]", and people would understand you. But let me tell you how "faire foirer quelque chose" should be translated into English: "to bungle something". You've just bungled (I know this is rather informal English, but it is what most people will use daily, so some of those informal phrases have to be known), you've just bungled the translation. Yes, you have. Because you took it for granted that idioms could be translated word for word... What should you think of automatic, machine-provided translations, then, youngsters?...
- They're no good, sir.
- No good?! Are you kidding, So And So? They're to be ranked among the worst betrayals that machines can ever perpetrate on human spirit... I mean, trusting machines for that matter comes to betraying human spirit. (...) Who worked on these translating machines?
- Man, sir.
- Man... Well, they were essentially conceived by some computer scientist(s), actually. And what are computer sciences based on, youngsters?
- Mathematical data. As far as language is concerned, no one has ever been able to offer faithful rendition of the nuances that are proper to the human brain. Such nuances as those which are used for translating, for instance and precisely... So what will you do with a machine that translates "faire foirer quelque chose" into "make something be a complete disaster"?
- Doubt about it, sir?
- Doubt... I am going to tell you what to do: keep away from those tools! You can translate words or even idioms with some reliable programs, but today, if truly efficient translators have already been created, you still cannot access them, all right?... So, what is left for you to translate from one language to another?
- Our brains, sir.
- QED."

Every year I get a few nonsense translations or writing sheets due to those goddamn so-called translators... Grrr! :cool:

Seshmeister
01-26-2006, 09:06 PM
Look on the bright side if they worked you would be on welfare...:D

Seshmeister
01-26-2006, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by flappo
i remember that film 'sherlock holemes' with peter cook and dudley moore

they had to translate a message and decided that every word beginning with s should become sausage

then they read it backwards

and to finally do the job , translated it into serbo croat

grate !

The Hound of the Baskervilles?

Even a big fan like myself has to admit it wasn't their finest hour though. Pretty bad. I gave up half way through.

It's weird how they didn't seem to be able to do films together.

RuzDNailz
01-26-2006, 11:48 PM
kewl

i'm stickying this one !

How have you been, Flappo?

flappo
01-27-2006, 01:59 PM
deranged , drunk and psychotic

a normal day in flappo land

how you ?

flappo
01-27-2006, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
The Hound of the Baskervilles?

Even a big fan like myself has to admit it wasn't their finest hour though. Pretty bad. I gave up half way through.

It's weird how they didn't seem to be able to do films together.

yeah , altho' i did enjoy spike milligan's cameo ( no i didn't )

you have a point

apart from that stint in the big race they were crap on film

apart from 1 masterwork

DEREK AND CLIVE GET THE HORN

a work of unpararalled genius , especially in the use of the phrase 'you faakin kant !'

RuzDNailz
01-27-2006, 03:48 PM
deranged , drunk and psychotic

a normal day in flappo land

how you ?

Eh, you know I'm chillin' like a villin'. Did a double shot of Jack Daniels
the other and that knocked me off my feet. See, Jack can be a good at times, and other times he can be a real ass. Same thing goes with the other two J's!

Jérôme Frenchise
01-29-2006, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
Look on the bright side if they worked you would be on welfare...:D

Oh, er, they don't work that bad, after all... :D