View Full Version : 2 Dems on board

DR CHIP
01-26-2006, 11:56 AM
Democatic Sen. Johnson to Back Alito
Jan 26 11:05 AM US/Eastern

By JESSE J. HOLLAND
Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON

Supreme Court nominee Samuel Alito picked up his second Democratic supporter on Thursday, with Tim Johnson of South Dakota announcing he will vote for the conservative judge to become the nation's 110th justice.

Johnson joins fellow Democrat Ben Nelson of Nebraska as the only members of their party to announce Senate support for the conservative judge.

Fifty-one Republicans are supporting Alito, guaranteeing his confirmation as the replacement for retiring Justice Sandra Day O'Connor, who throughout her years on the high court often has been a key fifth vote on contentious social issues including abortion, affirmative action and the death penalty.

"I am troubled by Judge Alito's apparent views on matters such as executive power, his past opposition to the principle of one person, one vote, and his narrow interpretation of certain civil rights laws," Johnson said. "Even so, I cannot accept an argument that his views are so radical that the Senate is justified in denying his confirmation."

Johnson and other senators also are advising Democratic leaders against attempting a filibuster, the only chance the minority party would have to stop Alito's confirmation.

"Because we have such a full plate of pressing issues before Congress, a filibuster at this time would be, in my view, very counterproductive," said Sen. Mary Landrieu, D-La., who wants the Senate to concentrate on Hurricane Katrina rebuilding programs. "We simply cannot afford to bring the Senate to a halt at a time when we need its action the most."

President Bush praised Alito during a news conference Thursday. "He understands the role of a judge is not to advance a personal and political agenda," Bush said. "He is a decent man. He's got a lot of experience and he deserves an up or down vote in the Senate."

The confirmation debate on the Senate floor was continuing Thursday, but Republicans and the White House are so confident that Alito will be approved by the Senate that they've already started congratulating him and sending up new lower-court nominations for senators to consider.

A few hours after senators started debating his nomination Wednesday, Alito met with Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, Majority Whip Mitch McConnell and Judiciary Committee Chairman Arlen Specter in a U.S. Capitol room that directly faces the neighboring Supreme Court.

The conservative judge shook their hands and joked with the Republican leaders and thanked them for their efforts. Alito, who had met privately with more than 80 senators since Bush nominated him in October, also thanked "all of the senators who supported me and were kind enough to meet with me."

The 100-member Senate is expected to confirm the 55-year-old judge from the 3rd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Philadelphia before Bush's State of the Union address on Tuesday.

Even though Democrats like Landrieu and Ken Salazar of Colorado won't support a filibuster, that doesn't mean that liberals aren't working to get the largest vote against Alito possible.

Nelson and Johnson are the only Democrats to express support for Alito, and all eight Democrats on the Senate Judiciary Committee voted against his nomination on Tuesday. Twenty-three Democrats have already said they will vote against Alito, which is one more than opposed conservative Chief Justice John Roberts last year.

If the pattern continues, Alito may be on his way to the most partisan Senate victory for a Supreme Court nominee in years. The closest vote in modern history is Justice Clarence Thomas' 52-48 victory in 1991, when 11 Democrats broke with their party and voted for President George H.W. Bush's nominee.

Democrats argue that replacing O'Connor with Alito would put people's rights and liberties in danger.

Alito "will tip the balance of the scales of justice," said Sen. Dick Durbin of Illinois, the Senate's No. 2 Democrat. "He will tip the balance against protecting our basic privacy and personal freedoms. He will tip the balance in favor of presidential power even when it violates the law."

___

FORD
01-26-2006, 01:50 PM
Traitorous pieces of shit, both of them. In fact, it would be damn near impossible to find any evidence that Nelson ever voted with his party or his constituents even once in his fucking miserable traitorous waste of a life.

Guitar Shark
01-26-2006, 02:37 PM
Good for them. Although I don't agree with Alito's viewpoints on certain issues, he's certainly qualified and should be confirmed.

BITEYOASS
01-26-2006, 03:19 PM
Yeah, he's not like that damn PTA member that Bush Jr. tried to BS us with.

FORD
01-26-2006, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Guitar Shark
Good for them. Although I don't agree with Alito's viewpoints on certain issues, he's certainly qualified and should be confirmed.

So you support a Bush dictatorship then?

Uh, I mean "unitary executive", of course.

McCarrens
01-26-2006, 03:56 PM
Watch out! Ford's cryin' in his cornflakes again!

FORD
01-26-2006, 03:58 PM
This just in......

John Kerry calls for Scalito filibuster!! Details as they follow.

Alright Judas..... here's your chance to redeem yourself for all those PNAC votes from 2000 to 2004.....

Guitar Shark
01-26-2006, 04:07 PM
Redeem himself with a filibuster? LOL... we've hit a new low...

skoolsout
01-26-2006, 04:49 PM
the dems are pathetic...they cant stand up for themselves or anything...Why do they call themselves the opposition?they just roll over whenever the repubs need them to...
Look at how feckless Pelosi and Reid are...they are wimps...they are an absolute snore fest and couldnt scare an ant...The dems need a pitbull...How do you think the repubs win?
People should start voting third party....

Warham
01-26-2006, 04:52 PM
Even Robert 'Sheets' Bird said the Judiciary Committee (ie. Ted Kennedy, Chucky Schumer, Diane Feinstein, Russ Feingold, and Pat 'Leaky' Leahy) should be ashamed of themselves for running a man of integrity like Alito through the ringer at the hearings.

If Sheets Bird is voting for Alito, that tells you something.

Nickdfresh
01-26-2006, 05:56 PM
Yeah, and a man that would bend over backwards to erode civil liberties...

FORD
01-26-2006, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by Warham

If Sheets Bird is voting for Alito, that tells you something.

Yeah, maybe he didn't have his nap today.

Byrd is usually more on top of reality than this.

FORD
01-26-2006, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by skoolsout
The dems need a pitbull...

http://enquirer.com/midday/07/07112003deanap.jpg

How do you think the repubs win?

http://growabrain.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/diebold.jpg

diamondD
01-26-2006, 06:36 PM
Why don't the Dems get some ideas instead of constantly crying?

Guitar Shark
01-26-2006, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by FORD
http://enquirer.com/midday/07/07112003deanap.jpg

He said "pitbull," not "pitiful"

diamondD
01-26-2006, 09:51 PM
See, I'm just a regular smart ass. GS is extraordinaire!

Cathedral
01-27-2006, 06:06 AM
Yeah, maybe he didn't have his nap today.

Byrd is usually more on top of reality than this.

Given this comment i have to say, Maybe it is YOU that is not on top of reality.
But it does prove my point though, You and your conspirators only support those who agree with you and the moment someone shifts a gear that isn't in sync with yours, you throw them out as BCE operatives.

I mean hell, you claim that John Kerry can be redeemed in your eyes by bringing your own country to its knee's.
So, you no longer see him as the Judas of the Democratic Party?

What scares me more than anything right now is people like you who don't care about the shame or damage your political rantings do to our country in the eyes of the world.
You've kept screaming for years now about every crime under the sun being commited by Bush, yet none of it is accompanied by anything resembling proof, convictable truth, of anything.
What's the problem?
If he's really guilty of your charges why in the fuck can you not convict him for anything?

Are you trying to say your party is weak and incapable of bringing anyone to justice?
Hell, we got Clinton impeached over a blow job and what you claim should be a slam dunk in removing Bush like yesterday, don't ya think?

Or maybe, just maybe you've spent too much time with your DU buddies and you truly don't recognize reality ftom your own fiction anymore.

Damn man, all you offer is yet more conspiracy you cannot prove, every damn time.....doesn't that seem a little fucked to you?

FYI: The nuthouse is full of people with similar issues actually.

Look folks, either put up or shut up, your just looking incredibly desperate with the endless crying and lack of action making your case.

I'll make a prediction here...You are going to be crying, kicking and screaming until Bush walks out on his own in 08 and is replaced by yet another conservative that will also be an operative of your beloved BCE.
Hey, go out and ask anyone on the street what they think of the BCE and they'll look at you like your nuts because beyond this board there is no actual BCE.
Just like beyond this baord there isn't a damn thing you can bring Bush up on charges for, it's all in your mind, brother, step out for a few weeks and get some damn air.

But do me a favor, unless you can actually offer a valid reason for your parties inability to press charges for crimes that according to you and others he is so obviously guilty of...spare me the reply. i've already heard all the excuses and conspiracy points 100 times.
Explain to us why you all can't bring him to justice, then maybe the country won't see you as ankle biters who couldn't find your way out of an open paper bag.

Like i said, Put up or shut up, we're all tired of empty accusations without proof to convict.
You have tried and convicted a man in public before his day in court...and YOU support the Constitution?
Your actions say otherwise the way you discard what we here in sane america call "Due Process".

No argument you can make justifies these actions and it is by definition Unconstitutional to punish people who haven't been proven guilty in a court of law.

Bottom line, your all talk with no substance to back it up...but i'd like to be proven wrong here...so, prove me wrong but try it without violating someone's right's this time, k?

DrMaddVibe
01-27-2006, 06:22 AM
Stellar post Cat.

Cathedral
01-27-2006, 07:10 AM
Well fuck man, this bullshit started 6 fucking years ago and to date the Democrats have not been able to make any of their conspiracies stick.
They call Bush stupid and all kinds of names, yet he is illusive enough to get away with mass murder?

C'mon, are you kidding me?
And we as Americans are supposed to trust Democrats to protect this country?

Spare me the bullshit if all you have are baseless accusations.
Facts and truth are what convicts criminals in a court of law, not accusations and not unconstitutional public trials that offer nothing of substance at the end of the day.

The Democrats are a fucking joke, damn near all of them.

So, i have but one thing to say from here on out about every new conspiracy thread that gets posted.

Put Up or Shut Up!
The time for crying is over, it's time to lay down the cards or leave the fucking table.

diamondD
01-27-2006, 09:33 AM
Great idea, but people have been calling FORD out for years and he hasn't changed a bit. You can throw every fact in the world in his face and he'll just drop out of the thread and repeat it in another. He knows he usually doesn't have any facts to back up his theories, so he thinks throwing a few "I suppose" and "I imagine" into his ideas makes them facts if you repeat them enough. What I've been surprised by is the number of people jumping on this "we're turning into Nazi Germany" bandwagon.

It's just stupid...

I mean, we are talking about people that don't believe a jumbo jet hit the Pentagon, despite 100s of witnesses that saw it fly over them in rush hour traffic. Reality destroys their delusions.

Cathedral
01-27-2006, 09:57 AM
I saw it live on television, and it was pretty clear to me it was two planes.
I don't call Ford out anymore, there is no point in it and he is too far gone to be saved, seriously.

He's been eating those Liberal cookies for so long he is now addicted to them, and he's sharing them with others.

That said, I admire his creativity and he should apply that to writing fiction. I'd buy his books for the killer flights of fancy alone, lol.

Nickdfresh
01-27-2006, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by diamondD
Great idea, but people have been calling FORD out for years and he hasn't changed a bit. You can throw every fact in the world in his face and he'll just drop out of the thread and repeat it in another. He knows he usually doesn't have any facts to back up his theories, so he thinks throwing a few "I suppose" and "I imagine" into his ideas makes them facts if you repeat them enough. What I've been surprised by is the number of people jumping on this "we're turning into Nazi Germany" bandwagon.

It's just stupid...

I mean, we are talking about people that don't believe a jumbo jet hit the Pentagon, despite 100s of witnesses that saw it fly over them in rush hour traffic. Reality destroys their delusions.

Originally posted by Cathedral
I saw it live on television, and it was pretty clear to me it was two planes.
I don't call Ford out anymore, there is no point in it and he is too far gone to be saved, seriously.

He's been eating those Liberal cookies for so long he is now addicted to them, and he's sharing them with others.

That said, I admire his creativity and he should apply that to writing fiction. I'd buy his books for the killer flights of fancy alone, lol.

Great, so can I count on you guys calling out all of the baseless conspiracies I see on here, like the shiite' posted from NewsHAX and the stuff that BBB, WARHAM, or 'VIBE put forward that have no basis in truth, i.e.: (paraphrasing of course) "CLINTON must have had a super secret liberal Ninja cohort that assassinated and routinely covered up for his corruption, even in the light of more investigations of than of any President in history. They even shot down an USAF small jet carrying a group of military officers set to arrest Clinton..."

Funny how partisan bullshit points both ways. I mean, I'm not a Democrat, technically at least, but:

In no way can the "9/11 Was An Inside Job" theory be construed as one held by most, or even many, Democrats at all...

Just thought I'd point that out...

Guitar Shark
01-27-2006, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
In no way can the "9/11 Was An Inside Job" theory be construed as one held by most, or even many, Democrats at all...

Very true. And, there are an equal number of wacko conspiracy theorists on the other side of the aisle. They just haven't found this board yet... ;)

Nickdfresh
01-27-2006, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Guitar Shark
Very true. And, there are an equal number of wacko conspiracy theorists on the other side of the aisle. They just haven't found this board yet... ;)

Actually, they have! WARHAM has repeatedly posted bizarre anti-CLINTON theories, and anything gleaned uncritically from NEWSHAX is basically on the level of an "Inside Job Theory."

Here's an example of WARHAM's zealous lunacy...

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=296194#post296194

BigBadBrian
01-27-2006, 12:06 PM

Fair enough. You've gone on record many times stating that theory was BS. So has KB and GS.

However, that are a high proportion of Left-Wing Moonbats who believe in this stuff:

FORD, Keeyth, Hardrock69, LoungeMachine.....

:gulp:

Cathedral
01-27-2006, 12:10 PM
Great, so can I count on you guys calling out all of the baseless conspiracies I see on here, like the shiite' posted from NewsHAX and the stuff that BBB, WARHAM, or 'VIBE put forward that have no basis in truth, i.e.: (paraphrasing of course) "CLINTON must have had a super secret liberal Ninja cohort that assassinated and routinely covered up for his corruption, even in the light of more investigations of than of any President in history. They even shot down an USAF small jet carrying a group of military officers set to arrest Clinton..."

Funny how partisan bullshit points both ways. I mean, I'm not a Democrat, technically at least, but:

You can count on me and my new party, The Constitution Party.

If it looks like shit and smells like shit one does not have to taste it to know it's shit.
I'm not interested in having air blown up my ass anymore.
My place is already climate controlled.

Nick, i just don't believe in the two party system anymore. it's become a disaster when it comes to getting the work done that needs done on a daily basis.
It is my goal to leave my partisan attitude where it belongs, in the toilet.
I don't have a place in either major party, not one i'm comfortable with, so i can not with good conscience call myself a Republican anymore because what we have in office is anything but a Republican that i recognize as such.

Incidentally, I have never put much stock in copy and paste articles here. I'm much more interested in the posters opinion than what some journalist has to speculate on. I have less love for journalists than i do a dentist, and for me that is saying a hell of a lot.

diamondD
01-27-2006, 02:14 PM
Nick, not running out to find proof against everything I read on here that I don't believe doesn't mean I believe them.

diamondD
01-27-2006, 02:17 PM
Oh, and I'm not saying it's the Democrats that believe that theory, not even many. Just the lunatic fringe on the left that's hijacked the party and robbed it of any chance to do anything by continually crying about the past without offering any solutions that most of America will buy into.

Warham
01-27-2006, 03:18 PM
Actually, they have! WARHAM has repeatedly posted bizarre anti-CLINTON theories, and anything gleaned uncritically from NEWSHAX is basically on the level of an "Inside Job Theory."

Here's an example of WARHAM's zealous lunacy...

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=296194#post296194

Yeah, Nick, 'repeatedly'. :rolleyes:

I mentioned the 'ninjas' (your word, not mine) in one thread, fool, and I wasn't even being serious.

How many threads have FORD and Keeyth taken up with their 9/11 bullshit?

Please, while you are digging through the old archives here, tell us all how many NEWSMAX articles I've posted here? Specific examples please, not rounded off numbers.

FORD
01-27-2006, 03:28 PM
Damn, has this thread gone way the fuck off topic or what?

This is not about 9-11, conspiracy theories, or broken hips. It is about the VERY REAL THREAT of a confirmation of one goddamned sick son of a bitch to the Supreme Court of the United States whose record proves him to be a bigoted racist fascist who believes that the person occupying the office of President of the United States (legally or not, definitely NOT in the present case) has every right to DICTATORIAL POWERS.

Does that fucking register in anyone's empty Busheep heads out there???

scamper
01-27-2006, 03:29 PM
Traitorous pieces of shit, both of them.

It's nice to see one of my senators not running party lines, maybe thats why both the repubs and dems vote for him to represent us.

FORD
01-27-2006, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by scamper
It's nice to see one of my senators not running party lines, maybe thats why both the repubs and dems vote for him to represent us.

And the Democrats are obviously getting the shitty end of that deal. Though Johnson isn't quite as blatant about it as Nelson.

diamondD
01-27-2006, 03:35 PM

Does that fucking register in anyone's empty Busheep heads out there???

Maybe it's just me, but could it have something to do with you present your case? ;)

Warham
01-27-2006, 03:39 PM
Yeah, FORD, do you believe like John Kerry does that shooting a black guy in the head for stealing a purse violates the 4th amendment?

scamper
01-27-2006, 03:41 PM
And the Democrats are obviously getting the shitty end of that deal. Though Johnson isn't quite as blatant about it as Nelson.

The thing we like about Johnson is he remembers who he represents, not like his counterpart who lost the last election because he got caught up in the glam. I really doubt that too many dems (or repubs) in this state really care about Alito.

Warham
01-27-2006, 03:42 PM
Nobody but the wacky libs at Democratic Underground and Daily KOS think that Alito is the second coming of Hitler.

FORD
01-27-2006, 03:50 PM
Nobody but the wacky libs at Democratic Underground and Daily KOS think that Alito is the second coming of Hitler.

Chimpy is the second coming of Hitler. Alito's merely an enabler.

DR CHIP
01-27-2006, 03:51 PM
Yeah, how come my threads end up in demolition of the WTC and Clinton killing sixteen people with a swiss army knife?

DR CHIP
01-27-2006, 03:51 PM
:)

DR CHIP
01-27-2006, 03:53 PM
Ford, still stick by the prediction the Dems will win in 06?

FORD
01-27-2006, 03:53 PM
Yeah, FORD, do you believe like John Kerry does that shooting a black guy in the head for stealing a purse violates the 4th amendment?

Obviously you took some statement way out of context here. I'd have to know exactly what Kerry said and in what context he said it, to know if I agreed with him.

scamper
01-27-2006, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by DR CHIP
Yeah, how come my threads end up in demolition of the WTC and Clinton killing sixteen people with a swiss army knife?

which Clinton?

DR CHIP
01-27-2006, 03:55 PM
;)

FORD
01-27-2006, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by DR CHIP
Ford, still stick by the prediction the Dems will win in 06?

If we still had honest elections in this country, Dems would have won 2000, 2002, and 2004.

The majority of voters will vote to remove the party of Chimp, Rove, Cheney, Frist, DeLay, Abramoff, Cunningham, Ney, Taft, Blackwell, Kruella Harris, and so many other criminals from power.

Whether those votes will be fairly counted or not is the real question.

diamondD
01-27-2006, 04:19 PM
Translation, he doesn't believe they do, so he's crying foul already. :rolleyes:

If they do, Diebold won't even be mentioned.

4moreyears
01-27-2006, 05:10 PM
Well fuck man, this bullshit started 6 fucking years ago and to date the Democrats have not been able to make any of their conspiracies stick.
T

But Ford still tries.

Nickdfresh
01-27-2006, 05:11 PM
Yeah, Nick, 'repeatedly'. :rolleyes:

I mentioned the 'ninjas' (your word, not mine) in one thread, fool, and I wasn't even being serious.

How many threads have FORD and Keeyth taken up with their 9/11 bullshit?

Please, while you are digging through the old archives here, tell us all how many NEWSMAX articles I've posted here? Specific examples please, not rounded off numbers.

I was just providing an example to show that conspiracy theories are not inherently Democratic or even leftist in nature, in fact, conspiracy theories were once solely the staple of the right (i.e. supposed Jewish conspiracies prior to WWII, often recited by men like Henry Ford).

FORD
01-27-2006, 05:20 PM
I was just providing an example to show that conspiracy theories are not inherently Democratic or even leftist in nature, in fact, conspiracy theories were once solely the staple of the right (i.e. supposed Jewish conspiracies prior to WWII, often recited by men like Henry Ford).

Let's not forget the thousands of people whom Bill Clinton supposedly killed with his almighty penis. :rolleyes:

Warham
01-27-2006, 05:25 PM
Let's not forget the thousands of people whom Bill Clinton supposedly killed with his almighty penis. :rolleyes:

Not thousands, FORD. More like a few tens and a five. :D

Warham
01-27-2006, 05:26 PM

We have conspiracy theories, sure...like how the Democrats controlled congress for forty years. That's definately a conspiracy worth researching.

Cathedral
01-27-2006, 05:28 PM

Oh give me a fucking break already, lol.

Who in the hell ever said Clinton killed people with his penis?
I want to know so i can stomp dey ass into a mud hole for being that stupid.
I don't care, Republican, Democrat, I won't discriminate.

Cathedral
01-27-2006, 05:32 PM
We have conspiracy theories, sure...like how the Democrats controlled congress for forty years. That's definately a conspiracy worth researching.

The difference between them and us, Warham, is that WE don't repeat the bullshit conspiracies our less than mentally stable reps put forth.
We see them for what they are on sight and move right on by.

And i can't even think of one Conservative spawned conspiracy that could even think of topping the imagination of the left.

Warham
01-27-2006, 05:39 PM
Yeah, the Clinton Body Count conspiracy just asks how any one person could know so many stiffs in his/her lifetime.

It's not like it's some wild far-fetched fantasy land scenario.

Cathedral
01-27-2006, 05:51 PM
They don't call him "Slick Willy" for nothing, lol.
He absolutely hates that nickname too, lmmfao.

FORD
01-27-2006, 06:30 PM
The difference between them and us, Warham, is that WE don't repeat the bullshit conspiracies our less than mentally stable reps put forth.
We see them for what they are on sight and move right on by.

And i can't even think of one Conservative spawned conspiracy that could even think of topping the imagination of the left.

See "The Clinton Chronicles", as marketed by that beacon of sanity, Jerry Falwell.

Cathedral
01-27-2006, 06:49 PM
Jerry Falwell?
Well, he's more digestible than say, Jimmy Swaggert...I get violent when i hear Swaggert speak.
Much like i do when i hear a Springsteen song, I don't like Bruce.