PDA

View Full Version : Who caught the Lynch & Malmsteen show?

Susie Q
04-05-2004, 09:32 PM
Well....I went, and for $15 bucks, I can't bitch. It was freezing cold with the wind bucking every move, and just imagine, I didn't even wanna go. I much rather have slept my migrane off (which I ended up doing). Anyways...I digress...

A warm up band came out and actually blew me away. Too bad I didn't remember who the hell they were. Then some waste of space band came on, then George Lynch and the Lynch Mob. They opened up with Unchain the Night. I was right up front and off to the left. I think I must of been one of the few chicks there. They did like 6 songs. Tooth and Nail, Mr. Scary which I gotta say KICKED ASS. Lynch did this special thing (not being a guitar entrepreneur, I had to ask den what it was called, he said a gothic octave) I loved it! Lynch complained that while Malmsteen got a overload of rehersal time, he didn't get any. Well, the sound was off for the first few tunes until they fixed it all up. He had his dokken guitars out, the orange and black one, and the skull one. I enjoyed him.

Then we had to wait what seemed like another year passing for Malmsteen. Since I knew minimal on him, he seemed for me a bit TOO loud. He came out all in his glory. I wanted to see Rudy Sarzo play (why do the dudes seem larger than life until you actually SEE them?). He did some excellent bass work, of course. Malmsteen did Rising Force, which was a given. Then some classical stuff, and I don't know what all as towards the end, I left. My ears felt like they were going to bleed, and I had to get up to go to work the next morning.

I am sure others will have their take on it, but that is mine all in a nut shell.

PHOENIX
04-05-2004, 09:38 PM
I dont like Malmsteen. Sure he can play but i cant stand arrogant cocksuckers like him.:D

Susie Q
04-05-2004, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by PHOENIX
I dont like Malmsteen. Sure he can play but i cant stand arrogant cocksuckers like him.:D

You know Penix, I hate arrogance too. Malmsteen thought he was spectacular, as does Ritchie Blackmore. I tried meeting Blackmore YEARS ago, and he blew us off. There was only a handful of people in the extreme cold weather to meet this freak too.

I can't deny that Malmsteen did some neat tricks with the guitar, but I thought that show was never going to end. I got bored, to be honest, then I got hot, and then my ears were killing me.

PHOENIX
04-05-2004, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Susie Q
. I got bored, to be honest, then I got hot, and then my ears were killing me.

You my dear are getting old. I'll bet you never complained about that when you were 18.:D

Susie Q
04-05-2004, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by PHOENIX
You my dear are getting old. I'll bet you never complained about that when you were 18.:D

ROTFLMAO! Isn't that pathetic?! HAHAHAHA!!! :D :o

Sarge
04-05-2004, 09:54 PM
Man I don't know
I once went to a Cheap Trick concert that was so loud that I couldn't understand 1 lyric they were on.
I have seen them 3 times and it was if I couldn't recognize any of their songs.
I saw them that time in a bar in Hawaii.
They had enough sound to do an arena.. no lie.

My ears still suffer from that concert!!

Susie Q
04-05-2004, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Sarge
Man I don't know
I once went to a Cheap Trick concert that was so loud that I couldn't understand 1 lyric they were on.
I have seen them 3 times and it was if I couldn't recognize any of their songs.
I saw them that time in a bar in Hawaii.
They had enough sound to do an arena.. no lie.

My ears still suffer from that concert!!

Don't get me going on Cheap Trick. Those guys and Van Halen were like my favorites back in the day. Cheap Trick are around here in August I think? Up at the Turning Stone. Of course...I am going....AGAIN. :)

ALinChainz
04-05-2004, 10:18 PM
Queensryche is notoriously loud also.

Tate already belts out the vocals, but they still had him turned up way too much. The other time I caught them, excellent show.

Susie Q
04-06-2004, 07:49 AM
I was told the loudest band in rock is AC/DC. I still want to go see them, but don't know if they still "got it" or not.

Dr. Love
04-06-2004, 01:06 PM
I've seen AC/DC and it wasn't terribly loud.

diamond den™
04-06-2004, 07:01 PM
You know Penix, I hate arrogance too. Malmsteen thought he was spectacular, as does Ritchie Blackmore. I tried meeting Blackmore YEARS ago, and he blew us off. There was only a handful of people in the extreme cold weather to meet this freak too.

I can't deny that Malmsteen did some neat tricks with the guitar, but I thought that show was never going to end. I got bored, to be honest, then I got hot, and then my ears were killing me.

Sure aboot hating arrogance?, My Panda™.

Va Beach VH Fan
04-06-2004, 08:29 PM
One of the local TV stations here did a story back in '98 on the decibel levels at the Ampitheater during the concert season....

The VH III tour was at 101 decibels....

Metallica was 103....

Last year, I saw the Scorpions there, and it was painfully loud, seriously... Combine that with Klaus Meine's pitch, especially during "Dynamite", it was hard not to cringe...

Susie Q
04-06-2004, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by diamond den™
Sure aboot hating arrogance?, My Panda™.

Positive. :o

IF someone is great, they don't need to keep reminding people. The people will see it all on their own. ;)

Susie Q
04-06-2004, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
One of the local TV stations here did a story back in '98 on the decibel levels at the Ampitheater during the concert season....

The VH III tour was at 101 decibels....

Metallica was 103....

Last year, I saw the Scorpions there, and it was painfully loud, seriously... Combine that with Klaus Meine's pitch, especially during "Dynamite", it was hard not to cringe...

DO you think it IS our age creeping in VA? Or IS it too loud? I dunno...
HAH! :)

GAR
04-07-2004, 04:00 PM
When metered by that Gazzaris' sound guy "Dragon" back in 1990, a freind of mine clocked in at 116 decibels.

I miss loud shows like that; its one thing to play loud like Malmsteen, but when he runs that DC-10 Analog Delay loop at the tail end of his "Hot On Your Heels" solo, it SOUNDS like a DC10 AIRCRAFT its so painful.. he thinks its funny: All hi-frequency "Vwreeeee-womp-womp..." it'll make your ears ring for a week.

Fifteen bucks is chump change these days: A freind of mine back in school days paid that much to see Alcatrazz at the Troubadour in 1982 - you got an amazing experience for an incredible value in today's-dollars. I don't know how they can afford to tour like this and pay bills.

NathanRay
04-07-2004, 09:49 PM

I'm Sure if you tried to Malmsteen, if you wanted to, you could. He's a lot cooler to his fans than he used to be. He let me and my buddies hang with him on his bus as he signed autographs. He may be arrogant but that's kind of his calling card, but he really does love his fans and the people who come to see him

Va Beach VH Fan
04-07-2004, 10:49 PM
DO you think it IS our age creeping in VA? Or IS it too loud? I dunno...
HAH! :)

Honestly, it's probably a little of both....

But I wasn't even close to the stage for the Scorps, I was chillin' back in the lawn !!!

ELVIS
04-08-2004, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by NathanRay
He may be arrogant but that's kind of his calling card, but he really does love his fans and the people who come to see him

Yngwie has continued to deliver, and I also believe he loves the fans...

Having said that, I saw Yngwie last month and I didn't think he was nearly as good as he was 10 years ago...

I saw him twice in the 90's and he was jaw dropping. It seemed as every nuance mattered to him. Yngwie was the epitome of perfection...

This last show he was a bit sloppy at times and he seemed to skip over alot of material...

He still did the hard stuff exactly right though...

:elvis: