PDA

View Full Version : Free website to list programs with spyware

Hardrock69
01-27-2006, 04:48 PM
Here's a new way to attack spyware: embarrass its purveyors.

A free website ( www.StopBadware.org ) launching Wednesday plans to provide a list of programs that contain spyware and other malicious software. It will also identify companies that develop the programs and distribute them on the Internet.

Consumers can then decide if a program is safe to download.

"For too long, these companies have been able to hide in the shadows of the Internet," says John Palfrey, who heads the Berkman Center of Internet & Society at Harvard Law School and is spearheading the project. "What we're after is a more accountable Internet."

The initiative is being run by Harvard and the Oxford Institute and is backed by high-tech heavyweights including Google and Sun Microsystems. Consumer Reports' WebWatch is serving as a special adviser.

Spyware invades PCs without users' knowledge when they download applications such as music file-sharing programs or screen savers, or visit certain websites. Often, spyware tracks Web-surfing habits and bombards victims with related pop-up ads. More nefarious versions monitor keystrokes to steal Social Security numbers or passwords for identity theft.

Also on the hit list of the StopBadware coalition are malicious "adware" programs that serve up onslaughts of pop-up ads or software that contains hidden viruses and worms.

At least 60% of home PCs are infected with one or more of these "badware" programs, says Forrester Research analyst Natalie Lambert.

The prevalence of the programs has spawned a booming industry of anti-spyware and anti-virus software. Internet providers such as America Online and EarthLink include the software free with service. But such programs typically can't identify all the rogue software on a PC and might not be able to eradicate a deeply embedded program even if they do, says Ferris Research analyst Fred Berlack.

By checking StopBadware.org, its organizers say, consumers can choose, in the first place, not to download a program containing the malicious software. The coalition is encouraging consumers to visit the website to log their experiences with harmful programs.

It will then use that information to compile reports on suspect programs, websites and companies that foist the software on consumers without getting their consent. The worst offenders will be spotlighted. It will take several months to gather a significant-size database, Palfrey says.

Some websites already provide information on spyware. Others identify suspect software for a fee. But the StopBadware group says it aims to be the biggest free clearinghouse.

Berlack is skeptical that many consumers will use the service. "I don't think the average Joe has the time or inclination to check every time he opens up a new website or downloads a program," he says.

But Te Smith of consultants FFW Partners, says, "Anything that helps people be more informed is useful. I applaud these companies for using their market presence and reach to try to educate consumers."

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/computersecurity/2006-01-25-spyware_x.htm?csp=34

Cathedral
01-27-2006, 06:40 PM
Shit, this pc is locked up tighter than fort fuckin knox.
Nothing gets by me that i don't know about, nothing.

But i've been hit with that shit before and it made a mess of my old system.

This is a valuable resource for people though, damn nice of ya to share the link. ;)

RuzDNailz
01-27-2006, 07:51 PM
Does anybody remember that BonziBuddy program/tool for windows?
That motherfucking thing was spyware and the moment I caught wind
about it, I deleted it. That company got some major fines concerning
that matter.

Big Fat Sammy
01-27-2006, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by RuzDNailz
Does anybody remember that BonziBuddy program/tool for windows?
That motherfucking thing was spyware and the moment I caught wind
about it, I deleted it. That company got some major fines concerning
that matter.

Yeah same here...that was one annoying purple-ass Barney the dinosaur wannabe.

Nickdfresh
01-28-2006, 09:28 PM
I just caught a piece of adware from the new Apple iTunes! This shit is just unconscionable how major companies can download this stuff with no consent...

DavidLeeNatra
01-29-2006, 07:28 AM
I once downloaded an update for my webcam directly from the company's support site...spyware was detected in it...fuckers...! :(

WACF
01-29-2006, 11:30 AM
It will be nice to have a list...thanks for the news.

smaz
01-30-2006, 09:55 AM
If you ever get hit by spyware/malware, head over to www.geekstogo.com - they've got some A* nerds over there that'll fix anything, telling you what programs to use, how & what to do next. Pretty good stuff. Just head to the forums.

thome
01-30-2006, 10:14 AM
I got Norton,No Adware,Spybot...

I year ago I got hit and had to wipe my PC clean and it took me
12 hrs to run my application programs in, just to wipe out the
existing data that locked my pc up.I was down for three days.

We have all probably done that I lost so much, info, media, etc...

The split second i was up i went to Norton and have been in good
shape ever since...