PDA

View Full Version : Best Instrumental Rock Song (Grammys '06)

jslav06
01-29-2006, 02:35 PM
“Beat Box Guitar”
Adrian Belew
Track from: Side One[Sanctuary]

“Birds Of Prey”
Stewart Copeland
Track from: Orchestralli [Ponderosa]

“69 Freedom Special”
Les Paul & Friends
Track from: American Made World Played [Capitol Records]

“Mercy”
Joe Perry
Track from: Joe Perry [Columbia Records]

“Lotus Feet”
Steve Vai
Track from: Real Illusions: Reflections [Epic/Red Ink]

----------------------------------------------------------------------
It's not too hard for me if I was picking. I only hope Steve Vai wins though. "Lotus Feet" was a great song, well-composed and well-put together. Joe Perry is good too, but I don't think he is meant to be a solo artist. His songs aren't too bad, but I never really liked him. Good guitarist, but never really liked him. I do like "Birds of Prey", but I still hope Vai wins.

Douglas T.
01-29-2006, 03:34 PM
What's that RUSH song ~ XYZ?

jslav06
01-29-2006, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by Douglas T.
What's that RUSH song ~ XYZ?

YYZ.

Jérôme Frenchise
01-29-2006, 05:52 PM
I don't think there is any "best" song whatever the kind might be...

Here are a few of my fave, not including, as this forum requires not to mention VH, "Eruption", "Tora Tora" or "Intruder":

"Stoned", by the Rolling Stones... So great a soundtrack of how you feel when you're both on alcohol and pot! :)

"Atom Heart Mother", by Pink Floyd" (well, yes, there are the choirs, but...).

"Red", by King Crimson. Extraordinaire. Fripp/Wetton/Bruford, man! :cool:

"Kometen Melodie 2", by Kraftwerk (on "Autobahn"), playing that one plugs me in some of my childhood memories right away.

Jean-Michel Jarre: "Oxygene IV", for the same reason as above.

"Coast to Coast", by the Scorpions, especially the bridge and the solo.

"Behind my Camel", by the Police, an astounding track. I dig Andy Summers's compositions (as well as Stu Copeland's), and I'm not sure he gets the recognition he deserves...

I must forget a few other ones, but anyway...
I don't remember who (I think it was Clapton) said that a guitar solo must tell a story. I may not be a guitarist, but I've always listened to solos through that point of view ever since.
And as far as instrumental tracks, it's all the more true... They have to tell a story without words, and not any musician can do that IMO. Congrats to the ones who manage to, really! :cool:

Douglas T.
01-29-2006, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by jslav06
YYZ.

yeah that one! instramental ... kicks ass right? I think I need to get that new live DVD!