PDA

View Full Version : Dell to Hire 5,000 People in India

scamper
01-30-2006, 10:25 AM
By RAJESH MAHAPATRA, Associated Press Writer
Mon Jan 30, 6:00 AM ET

NEW DELHI - Computer maker Dell Inc. said Monday it planned to add 5,000 jobs in India over the next two years, bringing its work force in the country to 15,000.

Dell is also looking to set up a manufacturing center in India, a move that could help boost the sale of Dell computers here, President and CEO Kevin Rollins told reporters after a meeting with Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.

The Round Rock, Texas-based company will hire 700 to 1,000 workers for a new call center in Gurgaon, a satellite town of the capital, New Delhi, Rollins said. The new call center, the company's fourth in India, will open in April, he said.

The other new hires will staff call centers in the cities of Bangalore and Hyderabad in southern India and Mohali in the northern state of Punjab. Also this year, the company plans to double the staff at its product testing center in Bangalore, which currently employs 300 engineers, Rollins said.

During his previous visit to India in April last year, Rollins had said Dell would make India a hub for its software development and back-office work.

Currently, the company has three call centers in India, a product testing center for corporate customers and a global software development center. Some 10,000 people are employed at these facilities.

Scores of Western companies have been cutting costs by shifting software development, engineering design and routine office functions to countries such as India, where English-speaking workers are plentiful and wages are low.

But Rollins said his company's expansion plans were not limited to tapping the talent, but also benefit from the growing demand for desktop computers and notebooks.

Dell accounts for less than 4 percent of the 4 million computers sold in India, whereas the company's share in the global market is about 18 percent, he said.

Taxes levied by the Indian government on computers and computer parts are a major factor affecting pricing of Dell products and their sluggish sales here.

A manufacturing facility could help the company boost its presence in India, where computer sales are expected to increase to 10 million annually over the next three to five years.

"We have come to the conclusion that time is ripe to consider a manufacturing facility in India," Rollins said. "We want to do it fast," he said, but gave no time frame or investment details.

He said the company was talking to local authorities in several Indian states to identify a site and a decision will be made soon.

Dell currently operates nine plants, six of them outside the United States.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060130/ap_on_hi_te/india_dell

FORD
01-30-2006, 10:34 AM
Michael Dell is a close personal friend of the Chimp. Go figure....

BTW, Isn't it interesting that the two countries who have gained the most from job outsourcing (India and China) are the same two countries who agreed to destroy the evidence of the World Trade Center attack?

Just a coincidence, of course.....

diamondD
01-30-2006, 11:00 AM
And not very interesting either.

There's not a conspiracy behind everything. No wonder people think this forum's gotten stupid.

Cathedral
01-30-2006, 11:14 AM
Nothing like supporting the Communists, eh?
America will be nothing more than a call center as well before too awful long.
We are no longer a manufacturing nation, we are being reduced to a service nation.

We're on track to be the butlers of the world, Sir....

FORD
01-30-2006, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Cathedral
Nothing like supporting the Communists, eh?
America will be nothing more than a call center as well before too awful long.
We are no longer a manufacturing nation, we are being reduced to a service nation.

We're on track to be the butlers of the world, Sir....

Nah, we can't be the call center. Most of those are in India now too. And the ones that aren't are often based in prisons.

But then, when we are all in prison camps for either our political beliefs, or bankruptcy brought on by $5/gallon gas and 50% interest on credit cards, then that won't be a problem either. :(

Rebel
01-30-2006, 11:54 AM
Anbody ever tried to call one of them fuckers? They may be speaking English, but I can't understand a fuckin word of it.

Cathedral
01-30-2006, 01:18 PM
If you own anything made by LinkSys, you'll be chatting with them eventually.
I returned their shit because of their tech support, lol.

It was impossible to communicate with them, so why, when everyone apparently complains about it, do companies keep going that route?

Because they can, it's part of that Free and Fair Trade shit everyone has let fall off the radar.

diamondD
01-30-2006, 01:23 PM
If I get some Indian or whoever that tries to tell me his name is Charles, I hang up.

If the consumer doesn't buy the product based on this, then and only then will it make a difference to the company.

FORD
01-30-2006, 01:24 PM
I do have a LinkSys router, but I don't need their tech support, thank God. Or Krishna, as the case may be.

FORD
01-30-2006, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by diamondD
If I get some Indian or whoever that tries to tell me his name is Charles, I hang up.

If the consumer doesn't buy the product based on this, then and only then will it make a difference to the company.

I'm not sure if the guy's name being Charles would neccessarily be a lie. India was a British colony for a long time. it's possible that some of them might continue to use English names.

Now on the other hand, if he said his full name was "Charles Brown", I'd say he stole it from a comic book ;)

ThrillsNSpills
01-30-2006, 01:40 PM
It's hard enough getting people here to do their jobs, now you can count on making 15 calls to make sure someone who doesn't know your language hasn't invented another way to screw things up.

Then you finally get someone who knows the language in your own country to try to resolve it , who will blame other departments while we are 5 months into an issue that a child could fix.

Makes one wonder how these people dress themselves in the morning.....

Nickdfresh
01-30-2006, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by FORD
I do have a LinkSys router, but I don't need their tech support, thank God. Or Krishna, as the case may be.

Actually, I did. My LINKSYS took a crap on me. It took me like two hours on the phone to completely figure out that they didn't a clue as to what they were doing. I just ended up getting a new one out of the deal though....

FORD
01-30-2006, 01:54 PM
If all else goes wrong with your LinkSys router, you can always push the "panic button".

That would be the little red button behind the left side of the router. Or at least it is on mine. If you have one of the newer ones with the wireless antennas and shit, it could be different.

And if you can get to your web browser interface, I believe there's a "restore factory defaults" setting in there as well.

It might be a pain in the ass if you have to configure the router all over again, but compared to communicating with someone on the other side of the planet who's not a native English speaker, it's probably less of a headache in the long run.

DLR'sCock
01-30-2006, 02:39 PM
And nobody gives a fuck that tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands of jobs are being outsourced and offshored more and more everyday....

Hire H1B visas, send the work overseas and what have you for the US population? no jobs no money, you're fucked....with increasing costs for everything....

What have you for the US companies that made out well for being lucky enough, NO TO HAVE THE FUCKING PRIVILEDGE to form their businesses here in the US and make moeny through the efforts of the hardworking former US employees and the US customers? Companies making more and more money...

The middle class shirnks and works longer and harder to get by, and must have two family incomes, while the upper class grows and makes more, and the lower class grows and more people are fucked....

And nobody gives a shit....

jhale667
01-30-2006, 02:41 PM
Ugh...I spent two hours on the phone to India one night resolving a DSL issue...utterly painful...:mad: