PDA

View Full Version : Bono calls on U.S. to give part of budget to poor

scamper
02-02-2006, 12:43 PM
Updated: 12:17 p.m. ET Feb. 2, 2006
WASHINGTON - Quoting from Islamic, Jewish and Christian texts, rock star Bono called Thursday for the U.S. government to give an additional 1 percent of the federal budget to the world’s poor.

Speaking to President Bush and members of Congress at the National Prayer Breakfast, the U2 front man said it’s unjust to keep poor people from selling their goods while singing the virtues of the free market, to hold children to ransom for the debts of their grandparents and to withhold medicines that would save lives.

“God will not accept that,” he said. “Mine won’t. Will yours?”

Bono’s speech riveted the ballroom audience that included the president and first lady and leaders from Congress, the Cabinet, the military, the clergy and countries from around the world.

At every table, Bono had distributed white plastic bracelets from The ONE Campaign to fight AIDS and poverty, and Sen. Hillary Clinton was among those who wrapped it around her fingers while she listened.

Bono thanked the president for helping to fight the spread of malaria and AIDS. Bush, in markedly lighter remarks than the singer, praised him as “a doer” but didn’t comment on his proposal.

“The thing about this good citizen of the world is he’s used his position to get things done,” Bush said. “You’re an amazing guy, Bono. God bless you.”

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11146046/

Nickdfresh
02-02-2006, 01:11 PM
BONO even praised the President you so love (kissing arse' to get what he wants), yet you roll your eyes at him?

Jesus Christ
02-02-2006, 01:13 PM
Why do ye condemn Bono for following My teachings? :confused:

scamper
02-02-2006, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
BONO even praised the President you so love (kissing arse' to get what he wants), yet you roll your eyes at him?

You won't find any love here for the Pres.

DrMaddVibe
02-02-2006, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Jesus Christ
Why do ye condemn Bono for following My teachings? :confused:

What teaching is that?

DrMaddVibe
02-02-2006, 02:03 PM
U2's tours have been wildly successful...how much did he donate?

It wouldn't bust my bubble one bit to see the rest of U2 move forward without Bono and his big mouth!

He's a rock icon, not a global politician!

scamper
02-02-2006, 02:20 PM
Bono is an ass. If this country starts allocating budget money aside for other countries, I'm buying a house in Angels neighborhood.

Jesus Christ
02-02-2006, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
What teaching is that?

When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his throne in heavenly glory. All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.

Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'

Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'

The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

Jesus Christ
02-02-2006, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by scamper
Bono is an ass. If this country starts allocating budget money aside for other countries, I'm buying a house in Angels neighborhood.

How much money hath the Son of Bush allocated to destroying life? Do ye condemn him for that? :mad:

DrMaddVibe
02-02-2006, 02:42 PM
Paying Taxes to Caesar

15Then the Pharisees went out and laid plans to trap him in his words. 16They sent their disciples to him along with the Herodians. "Teacher," they said, "we know you are a man of integrity and that you teach the way of God in accordance with the truth. You aren't swayed by men, because you pay no attention to who they are. 17Tell us then, what is your opinion? Is it right to pay taxes to Caesar or not?"

18But Jesus, knowing their evil intent, said, "You hypocrites, why are you trying to trap me? 19Show me the coin used for paying the tax." They brought him a denarius, 20and he asked them, "Whose portrait is this? And whose inscription?"

21"Caesar's," they replied.
Then he said to them, "Give to Caesar what is Caesar's, and to God what is God's."

22When they heard this, they were amazed. So they left him and went away.

scamper
02-02-2006, 02:45 PM
How much money hath the Son of Bush allocated to destroying life? Do ye condemn him for that? :mad:

yes

Jesus Christ
02-02-2006, 02:50 PM
Ye quote My teachings, but do ye know what I meant by them?

Jesus Christ
02-02-2006, 02:52 PM
yes

Then why not tell the Son of Bush that he should spend money saving lives, and not destroying them?

DrMaddVibe
02-02-2006, 02:54 PM
Yeah, I understand the Bibleand not some pretending stooge that wants to be Messiah!...now read the 1st post in this thread and read my last post.

scamper
02-02-2006, 02:58 PM
Then why not tell the Son of Bush that he should spend money saving lives, and not destroying them?

I don't have his number

Jesus Christ
02-02-2006, 03:03 PM
I don't have his number

202 456 1414

Now ye do :)

Jesus Christ
02-02-2006, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
Yeah, I understand the Bibleand not some pretending stooge that wants to be Messiah!...now read the 1st post in this thread and read my last post.

What does paying taxes to Caesar hath to do with Bono keeping My commandment to take care of the poor and needy?

scamper
02-02-2006, 03:18 PM
202 456 1414

Now ye do :)

Wow, you are all knowing.

BITEYOASS
02-02-2006, 05:39 PM
What we really need to do right now is reduce the national debt with our tax dollars, end public and corporate welfare. Let charities (either secular) or religious help the poor. And the rich won't chip in, then it will be up to God to judge them. Right now Paris Hilton's boyfriend better stop humiliating the homeless or else he'll be on the road to eternal damnation!

diamondD
02-02-2006, 06:02 PM
Wow, you are all knowing.

And probably banned from calling it...;)

Jesus Christ
02-02-2006, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by diamondD
And probably banned from calling it...;)

It's not as though the Son of Bush would take My calls anyway. But I hear that Satan hath his private number.

Cathedral
02-02-2006, 06:45 PM
James 2:22-24

22 But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, decieving your own selves. 23 For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass: 24 For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straight-way forgetteth what manner of man he was.